***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,416 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Genetically altered leather clad spider "pets" are family friendly.
TCTTS
AG
Just got done cooking pizzas with the neighbors, I have two brand new episodes of two of my all-time favorite shows (Succession and Curb Your Enthusiasm) ready and waiting, and yet all I want to do is watch Dune again for the third time in four days…
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Watched it a second time last night on HBOMax. Dune is a great movie, but no TV can deliver the same experience one gets even in a non-IMAX theater such as I saw it on Thursday.
ZofranAggie
AG
Agree on the cutting of Harkonnen's...proclivities. It doesn't add much and he can still be a terrifically evil bstard without it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Phat32
AG
We saw it at Alamo Drafthouse and while we thought it was great, the audio mix was terrible. The dialog was very difficult to understand.

Looking forward to re-watching on HBO Max to actually understand quite a bit of it.
A is A
AG
have we gotten US and Worldwide numbers from last weekend?

I saw reports on Sunday of 40.1MM+ but did not think that included all of Sunday.

Edit: and how does HBO Max play into this? Is a stream equal to a particular amount? or just body count? How does that figure into the who revenue picture?
gus1390
AG
Phat32 said:

We saw it at Alamo Drafthouse and while we thought it was great, the audio mix was terrible. The dialog was very difficult to understand.

Looking forward to re-watching on HBO Max to actually understand quite a bit of it.
I had the same issue. Went straight home from theater and watched again with subtitles
CoppellAg93
AG
Wife and I saw it yesterday at a Cinemark XD theater. We both thought it was really good even though we didn't know much of the story beforehand. Was surprised with my wife's reaction - even she wants to watch it again.

Visuals were amazing - add me in the group that thinks the first viewing should be in the theater - the soundtrack was awesome and our seats shook many times throughout.

My only issue - agree with recent posters about some of the dialogue - couldn't understand what they were saying several times because the music/sound was halfway drowning them out. Like the suggestion to watch at home with subtitles.

Can't wait for the next one.
A is A
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

Wife and I saw it yesterday at a Cinemark XD theater. We both thought it was really good even though we didn't know much of the story beforehand. Was surprised with my wife's reaction - even she wants to watch it again.

Visuals were amazing - add me in the group that thinks the first viewing should be in the theater - the soundtrack was awesome and our seats shook many times throughout.

My only issue - agree with recent posters about some of the dialogue - couldn't understand what they were saying several times because the music/sound was halfway drowning them out. Like the suggestion to watch at home with subtitles.

would love to get more deeper on this as I have seen this a few time now.

Is it only during certain scenes with the score? or is it prevelant enough to say the environment and other sounds cause issues?

I know I watched the Gom Jabbar interview with DV and I had to, a few times, rewatch as they were speaking to each other cause of the score, but that is all I have seen so far where there was trouble with the audio.

Be interested to see what TC. Is this a score/mix issue? could it be a theatre issue?
The Collective
AG
So, admittedly, I've never been a Dune fan. I'm just here to let you guys know I'm so ****ing confused. I liked the movie and thought it was stunning, but I'll be watching again in a few days to see what I can figure out.
CoppellAg93
AG
A is A said:

CoppellAg93 said:

Is it only during certain scenes with the score? or is it prevelant enough to say the environment and other sounds cause issues?

I know I watched the Gom Jabbar interview with DV and I had to, a few times, rewatch as they were speaking to each other cause of the score, but that is all I have seen so far where there was trouble with the audio.

Be interested to see what TC. Is this a score/mix issue? could it be a theatre issue?
The only time that stands out right now is when Paul is meeting with the Reverend Mother and Jessica is outside talking to herself/praying.
A is A
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

A is A said:

CoppellAg93 said:

The only time that stands out right now is when Paul is meeting with the Reverend Mother and Jessica is outside talking to herself/praying.
That is the scene I saw with DV explaining. It was really bad. I had to put on CC for those scenes. Literally whisper some of the most famous text.

Edit: This is the part I saw in the interview. If you are saying this is the only scene with the issue, then I am glad I have suffered before seeing the film.

TCTTS
AG

YNWA_AG
AG
hunter2012
AG
YNWA_AG said:

jackie childs
TCTTS said:

"then someone told Nolan it was simultaneously released on HBO Max and Nolan quickly called it rubbish"
C@LAg
YNWA_AG said:

part 2 is cancelled.

just going to focus on the Bene Gesserit series, about 3 witch sisters living together in the family's Chapterhouse, getting up to hijinx week after week.
hunter2012
AG
jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

"then someone told Nolan it was simultaneously released on HBO Max and Nolan quickly called it rubbish"
With the sound issues it still leans towards Nolan's favor.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Tickets purchased for tonight! Can't wait.
Sea Speed
AG
I think I'm gonna see this tomorrow.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I might be the last person on the thread who hasn't seen it yet...

Waiting on my brothers to go as a group... looks like its going to be next friday.
A is A
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I might be the last person on the thread who hasn't seen it yet...

Waiting on my brothers to go as a group... looks like its going to be next friday.
I am seeing it this Friday.

... THEN you will be the last one!
AgGrad99
AG
I Have Spoken said:

So, admittedly, I've never been a Dune fan. I'm just here to let you guys know I'm so ****ing confused. I liked the movie and thought it was stunning, but I'll be watching again in a few days to see what I can figure out.

I watched it with my son and he said the same thing.

He was confused half the time but can't wait to see the next one.

We really enjoyed it.
israeliag
AG
C@LAg said:

YNWA_AG said:

part 2 is cancelled.

just going to focus on the Bene Gesserit series, about 3 witch sisters living together in the family's Chapterhouse, getting up to hijinx week after week.

Please please please let Jermaine Clement and Taika Waititi run with this idea.
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

I know this isn't what's being said here, but ok, John David Washington as the Emperor sounds kinda dope.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
The emperors like 400 years old but on that spice he looks 40... could be a good fit; wonder who the daughter will be played by
AggieUSMC
AG
Quote:

wonder who the daughter will be played by

Anya Taylor-Joy has the look I imagined when I read the book.

I had someone who looked like Gary Oldman or Kenneth Brannaugh in my head for the emperor
RED AG 98
AG
Not exactly that but I remember there was a series discussed a few years ago to follow the movie. Anyone know if this is still officially a thing?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/dune-sisterhood-tv-series-a-go-at-warnermedia-1217286/
TCTTS
AG
Still happening, but under a new showrunner now. There was also some kind of rights issue that held it up as well, but it sounds like that's finally been sorted out. That said, Villeneuve was supposed to direct the pilot, and there's no way now with all the prep he has to do for the sequel. So they'll need to find a new director too, and then maybe they finally can have this ready around the time the sequel releases?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Tickets purchased for tonight! Can't wait.

Well THAT was AWESOME
HawthornAggie
AG
This movie is incredible. Can't stop re watching it. I'm someone who has only watched it at home through hbo but can't wait to see it in imax!
DTP02
AG
I've gotta drive a good way to get to a real IMAX. We have a fakeMAX in Bryan but my preferred theater is just the regular. Thoughts for those who may have seen more than one presentation?
ChoppinDs40
AG
Dune is a great story but has many of the age old themes so don't let the story overwhelm you.

Prodigal son rises from betrayed "good" family to lead a massive revolution with religious ties

Dune is like dances with wolves/Avatar mixed

Mighty empire seeks to farm/harvest ultra valuable resource that is somewhat unlimited yet only exists in an incredibly rugged and remote geography.

Native peoples live in that region and thrive off the resource and worship it as it has a religious value. They resist the white man.

Prodigal son "flips sides" and leads natives to "take it back". Kevin Costner = Paul Muaddib. Or… Luke Skywalker
schmendeler
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Dune is a great story but has many of the age old themes so don't let the story overwhelm you.

Prodigal son rises from betrayed "good" family to lead a massive revolution with religious ties

Dune is like dances with wolves/Avatar mixed

Mighty empire seeks to farm/harvest ultra valuable resource that is somewhat unlimited yet only exists in an incredibly rugged and remote geography.

Native peoples live in that region and thrive off the resource and worship it as it has a religious value. They resist the white man.

Prodigal son "flips sides" and leads natives to "take it back". Kevin Costner = Paul Muaddib. Or… Luke Skywalker

Except those things came after Dune.
StinkyPinky
AG
Went ahead and read book in advance of the movie this weekend after careful consideration. Glad I read the book. So much relevant detail that supports the world and character building that I can't imagine can be reproduced in the movie. I appreciate it isn't absolutely necessary and the movie will suffer from it, but expect that it will definitely enhance an already very positive experience.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.