***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,391 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Sea Speed said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Jedi / Sith versus Muad'dib

Who wins?

Speaking of, I watched the trailer and this looks like a much better star wars

It's Star Wars if Star Wars were fully conceived from the start and it had a brutality and severity on par with, like... The Dark Knight, maybe is a good example. There's some "hero cycle" in there. There's no question that Dune was a big influence on Star Wars.
Lucas straight up ripped off the Sandcrawlers at the very least.
Sea Speed
AG
I can think of a giant hole that seems suspiciously like shai hulud
SpreadsheetAg
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Sea Speed said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Jedi / Sith versus Muad'dib

Who wins?

Speaking of, I watched the trailer and this looks like a much better star wars

It's Star Wars if Star Wars were fully conceived from the start and it had a brutality and severity on par with, like... The Dark Knight, maybe is a good example. There's some "hero cycle" in there. There's no question that Dune was a big influence on Star Wars.

This ; and it's totally possible to make a GRITTY-ass Star Wars (even more so than Mando) with Jedi Knights etc. but it won't be in the Palpatine Era (that's what I'm calling all 9 movies, because it turns out he's the villain throughout it all, I guess)

I digress ; there's a whole other thread for that. But I hope Disney and Kennedy are taking damned notes.
TCTTS
AG
Pretty sure I've watched the new trailer about 15 times now, and I'm pretty sure it somehow gets better each time.
AliasMan02
AG
There are so many critical things going on in some of those brief scenes, with super important people who are nearly off screen and saying nothing.
TexAgBolter
AG
There better be thumpers in this. And I'm talking the lynch mechanical ones and not the mini series blinking lights.
PatAg
AG
TexAgBolter said:

There better be thumpers in this. And I'm talking the lynch mechanical ones and not the mini series blinking lights.
Ideally it shares no imagery with the Lynch movie. Just bring to life what was in the books, in whatever way Villanueve deems right. I trust this dude
TexAgBolter
AG
I trust DV too, but I hope there is some nod to the Lynch movie. Not a weirding module nod, but a maker hook, thumper, mentat computer small nod.
Mathguy64
AG
Lynch got a lot right. He just had a small window to make it happen. The miniseries had the time but gave it more of a religion focused take.
YouBet
AG
It's probably in this thread somewhere but there is an interesting interview with Lynch and his reflection on making that movie. It's worth the read.

I never saw the mini-series and at this point there is no point and doesn't exist in my mind.
Ornithopter
AG
It wasn't terrible, young Professor X is in it.
Ornithopter
AG
The Lynch version has some massive highs and lows. Keep in mind it was made in 1984, and it's a lot easier to accept the shortcomings.

Also, David Lynch is super weird. I'd have loved a Ridley Scott version.
Mathguy64
AG
And when he made it, it was widely considered to be unmakable.
YouBet
AG
Lynch version will always be awesome solely due to this:

snowdog90
Okay... So I've seen this thread but avoided it. I think it's because I was burned badly by the tragedy that was the really bad Dune movie in 84. I read the books in high school, at least 2 or 3 of them, but they were a bit over my head back then. I recently listened to Dune again and it was as great as I remember it, plus I probably understood a lot more.

So, I ignored this thread not wanting to be disappointed again...

Then I watched the trailer, and...

Holy *****!! It looks incredible!!! Incredible cinematography, incredible cast, incredible dialogue (at least in the trailer)... This looks incredible!!! I mean, everything about it looks amazing. Hold on, I'm gonna watch the trailer again... Holy ****, it still looks incredible!!!

For this, I might spend $20 on an imax ticket. Wow.
tremble
AG
Man that looks amazing, can't wait.
snowdog90
Okay, the look and feel and music of this trailer remind of Blade Runner 2049, another DV movie that I loved. Does anybody else get that vibe. If this is as good as that was, I'll be very happy.
snowdog90
God I'm just geeking out about this movie. Another thing from the trailer I sense is that they got the casting of Paul incredibly correct. I don't know who that kid is, but everything I see is like the Paul from the book has come to life.

October 22 feels like forever to wait.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
snowdog90 said:

God I'm just geeking out about this movie. Another thing from the trailer I sense is that they got the casting of Paul incredibly correct. I don't know who that kid is, but everything I see is like the Paul from the book has come to life.

October 22 feels like forever to wait.

Timothee Chalamet. Pretty much everything he is in is great. Really liked him in The King on Netflix.
TCTTS
AG
For reference, Denis Villeneuve has directed...

- 2013 - Enemy
- 2013 - Prisoners
- 2015 - Sicario
- 2016 - Arrival
- 2017 - Blade Runner 2049

... which was arguably the best run of any director last decade, a few films of which share casting connections to Dune...

Josh Brolin - Sicario / Dune

Dave Bautista - Blade Runner 2019 / Dune

David Dastmalchian - Prisoners / Blade Runner 2049 / Dune (also played the Joker's henchman in The Dark Knight)

YouBet
AG
Hot sports opinion: Blade Runner 2049 is amazing and vastly superior to its predecessor.
TCTTS
AG
I love the original, but I consider 2049 one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made. Top ten if not top five. It's just so damn good. Arrival, too, is all-time top-ten sci-fi for me as well. Both are two of the best films of the past decade. Hopefully Dune continues the streak.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

I love the original, but I consider 2049 one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made. Top ten if not top five. It's just so damn good. Arrival, too, is all-time top-ten sci-fi for me as well. Both are two of the best films of the past decade as well. Hopefully Dune continues the streak.

My wife knows nothing about Dune but after watching 2049 I told her that movie is why that guy is making Dune. No one else is qualified in my mind after watching 2049. It frankly feels like that movie was his pitch to make Dune.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Check out Beautiful Boy.

He's the next Dicaprio. Great actor.
Chipotlemonger
AG
He was in Ladybird as well, small support role.
Sea Speed
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Check out Beautiful Boy.

He's the next Dicaprio. Great actor.

You mean he is going to bed every new hot 18-24 year old model or actress for 20 years as a middle aged man and never win an oscar?
Sea Speed
AG
But deserve several*
PatAg
AG
If Leo ever decides to stop acting, I will see any movie he is involved in as a producer or director. He just knows what scripts will make excellent movies
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
TCTTS said:

All I can hear with this picture is him saying in a drax the destroyer voice. "Paul Atreides will never rule over me for I am too tall."
Duncan Idaho
Chipotlemonger said:

He was in Ladybird as well, small support role.

Delightful little movie
Whos Juan
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

TCTTS said:

All I can hear with this picture is him saying in a drax the destroyer voice. "Paul Atreides will never rule over me for I am too tall."
This is how I've always pictured Rabban; not like the Lynch version where he just looks like some random guy from Cleveland.
snowdog90
Whos Juan said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

TCTTS said:

This is how I've always pictured Rabban; not like the Lynch version where he just looks like some random guy from Cleveland.

Bautista is perfect. He was perfect in 2049, too. The dude is a really good actor and so damn intimidating.
TCTTS
AG
BenFiasco14
AG
If this movie flops I will lose all faith in humanity
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
TCTTS
AG
Comes out two weeks after No Time to Die and two weeks before Eternals. It'll have a window to perform, just not a very big one. Hopefully six or seven weeks of TV spots during football and what not will raise awareness enough. It's also premiering at the film festivals in early September, so if it's good - and every indication is that it will be - word of mouth will have time to spread during that same six or seven weeks. That said, even best case scenario I don't think it does gangbusters, but a respectable box office pull plus a few Oscar nominations would likely be enough for WB to consider it a success.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.