***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,406 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
Atreides Ornithopter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep dune was written in 1965

https://www.inafarawaygalaxy.com/2017/09/the-influence-of-herberts-dune-on-star.html
ChoppinDs40
AG
Oh I know. It's more for the people who are like "what's going on?!? Ahh too confusing"
Mathguy64
AG
schmendeler said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Dune is a great story but has many of the age old themes so don't let the story overwhelm you.

Prodigal son rises from betrayed "good" family to lead a massive revolution with religious ties

Dune is like dances with wolves/Avatar mixed

Mighty empire seeks to farm/harvest ultra valuable resource that is somewhat unlimited yet only exists in an incredibly rugged and remote geography.

Native peoples live in that region and thrive off the resource and worship it as it has a religious value. They resist the white man.

Prodigal son "flips sides" and leads natives to "take it back". Kevin Costner = Paul Muaddib. Or… Luke Skywalker

Except those things came after Dune.
Yep. Its closer to Lawrence of Arabia.
Cromagnum
AG
Finally catching a showing at a Cinemark XD this evening (no IMAX close by). Will catch a 2nd showing with the wife later because she knows zero about the story and don't need 100 questions interrupting my initial viewing.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
About to start
Cromagnum
AG
Cromagnum said:

Finally catching a showing at a Cinemark XD this evening (no IMAX close by). Will catch a 2nd showing with the wife later because she knows zero about the story and don't need 100 questions interrupting my initial viewing.

Yep. Very smart on my part. Wife would have ruined initial watch with me asking all kinds of things. This thing was visually beautiful and the sound was awesome. Same complaint as some folks that some of the dialogue gets lost.
A is A
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

About to start
Well? Your thoughts?
Sea Speed
AG
That was the shortest long movie ever!

Post more thoughts later.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
A is A said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

About to start
Well? Your thoughts?

I thought it was great. I think I enjoyed it a lot more knowing ahead of time it wouldn't wrap up the story and having some idea of everything prior to watching. I felt like I would have been lost a bit due to the dialogue being a little unclear at times without prior knowledge.

It was a beautiful film, enjoyed the score and contrary to what other people have said, I liked where it ended. Pauls dreams were calling him to lead and at the beginning he acted like he wasn't going to carry on the atreides line or follow in his fathers footsteps, but after the fight with the fremen, all of that changed. He finally killed somebody and that has started him down this new path. It's like in 300 where he goes out and kills the wolf. He's no longer a boy. He's a man. Great transition point.

Ready for part two!

SpreadsheetAg
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

Ready for part two!

& 3 & 4
StinkyPinky
AG
So much to like. I had strong doubts because of all the rave reviews (and having read the books 2). I think they hit it out of the park from casting, replication of book material, mood, set, Zimmer score. It held together all the way through. So many details made for some really cool scenes. Mood to me was like a Grimdark Sci-fi.
YouBet
AG
As the person who started this thread, it looks as if I'm the last one to actually see it. We are seeing it tomorrow afternoon, finally.

I can't f'ing wait.
Sea Speed
AG
its so freaking good man.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
YouBet said:

As the person who started this thread, it looks as if I'm the last one to actually see it. We are seeing it tomorrow afternoon, finally.

I can't f'ing wait.

Not the last... I won't be seeing it until later this week
C@LAg
SpreadsheetAg said:

YouBet said:

I can't f'ing wait.

?

Not the last... I won't be seeing it until later this week

So you are seeing it in the next 3 hours and 34 minutes
Bird Poo
AG
Just got back from the IMAX.

Unbelievable. Loved every scene. I cannot wait to see it again. My sons were blown away too.

Now we wait for a long time for Part 2.
Eliminatus
AG
Bonzer103 said:

So much to like. I had strong doubts because of all the rave reviews (and having read the books 2). I think they hit it out of the park from casting, replication of book material, mood, set, Zimmer score. It held together all the way through. So many details made for some really cool scenes. Mood to me was like a Grimdark Sci-fi.

Grimdark indeed. Considering the main driver of that genre, Warhammer 40K, is HEAVILY influenced by Dune. I'll even posit that without Dune, there is no WH40K. I actually just read Dune very recently and I was shocked at how much Warhammer lifted from it. I've been a WH junkie for two decades now (still contend I am the biggest WH nerd here on TA) and I never realized the true origins of it all.
YouBet
AG
THAT WAS F'ING AWESOME.
Sea Speed
AG
YouBet said:

THAT WAS F'ING AWESOME.

YES!!!
DTP02
AG
Saw it today. Great bit of movie-making. World-building was exceptional. The only shortcoming was that I was left wanting more. And I don't mean that I wanted the plot to advance more chronologically, I mean I wanted more time spent getting to that point, more time with the characters and the world before the overthrow. Feeling that way about a movie that long is a testament in itself.

And I have to point out the very obvious inspiration ( to the point of being derivative, even) that this material was for arguably the greatest movie franchise of our time, the franchise that had widespread cultural impact which continues to this day. The movie franchise which truly solidified and launched the career of one of cinema's greatest stars, although the "main" star of the original didn't ascend nearly as high after.

I'm speaking, of course, of Tremors.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
FINALLY going to see it! 11:05 matinee in Cypress
SpreadsheetAg
AG
DTP02 said:

Saw it today. Great bit of movie-making. World-building was exceptional. The only shortcoming was that I was left wanting more. And I don't mean that I wanted the plot to advance more chronologically, I mean I wanted more time spent getting to that point, more time with the characters and the world before the overthrow. Feeling that way about a movie that long is a testament in itself.

And I have to point out the very obvious inspiration ( to the point of being derivative, even) that this material was for arguably the greatest movie franchise of our time, the franchise that had widespread cultural impact which continues to this day. The movie franchise which truly solidified and launched the career of one of cinema's greatest stars, although the "main" star of the original didn't ascend nearly as high after.

I'm speaking, of course, of Tremors.

I mean Reba rose pretty high, but who else
bonfarr
AG
I liked this film but surprisingly I miss the voice over narration from the David Lynch version as well as the 1984 soundtrack.

Casting and performances were great with the exception of Duncan Idaho. Mamoa doesn't deliver lines well if they consist of more than monosyllabic grunts. The scenes with him in it just seemed out of place with the rest of the cast.
Chipotlemonger
AG
bonfarr said:

Casting and performances were great with the exception of Duncan Idaho. Mamoa doesn't deliver lines well if they consist of more than monosyllabic grunts. The scenes with him in it just seemed out of place with the rest of the cast.

Funny, I think that me and most of the people that have posted about it on the thread have the opposite opinion. I think Momoa did great. I recently reread the book as well, and to me, Duncan Idaho is cut from different cloth than the rest of the group and I actually like having him with that slightly different personality and approach.
PatAg
AG
I think his ability to pull off the fighting scenes so well more than balances any weaknesses in his acting.
I dont think he was bad either, but it wasn't really how I pictured the character behaving/talking.
tamuangry
Thinking about Mamoa, I started putting together a list of all the changes from the book in a pros/cons list:

Pros:
- Change Liet Kynes from father to mother of Chani. I think this will be more relatable to a modern movie audience and will probably be used to make Chani more blood thirsty in part 2.
- Removal of adult content. The movie is much better off omitting the more depraved aspects of the Harkonen appetites.
- No development of Emperor, Spacing Guild, Smugglers. This is for the best as the additional details would only confuse the story.
- Characters. Mamoa was very different from what I expected, but I loved his role. Paul's character in the book is often devoid of outward emotion - giving him an older brother figure to care for and lose lets him show his depth of feeling which would be largely lost in a screen translation. All the other characters were superb in their roles, especially Lady Jessica. Her finger movements and facial expressions convey her feelings in a direct way to the movie audience. I do wish the Baron was better developed - but that was 15 minutes extra I may be willing to watch that few others would.
Cons:
- No feyd rautha (yet). I wish they had included him in part 1, but it would've added another 10 min to the run time for introductions. I honestly believe his character will not be included in part 2 either.
- No significant speaking role for Piter. He's such a non entity in the movie. Again, it would take too much time to develop him properly.
- No banquet scene in Arakeen. It would've been better if they spent more time to develop the tension on Arakeen. In the book, there's so much space for tension building before the hammer falls. The banquet scene ties into the harvester scene as we learn of Harkonen treachery.
YouBet
AG
Feyd doesnt appear in the book until after where the movie ended, so I was good with that decision. Would feel differently if they had just skipped it like the dinner at Arrakeen.

I think cutting the dinner was a major lost opportunity but maybe that's just us purists being picky. And I wish there was more background on mentats given.
Sapper Redux
These kinds of discussions by the screenwriters must be interesting. You want to world-build, but you don't want the movie to be just world-building and dialogue. I'd have liked a little more on the mentats and the lack of AI, etc, but I also understand why it wasn't put in.
YouBet
AG
Sapper Redux said:

These kinds of discussions by the screenwriters must be interesting. You want to world-build, but you don't want the movie to be just world-building and dialogue. I'd have liked a little more on the mentats and the lack of AI, etc, but I also understand why it wasn't put in.

Agreed.
tamuangry
YouBet said:

Feyd doesnt appear in the book until after where the movie ended, so I was good with that decision. Would feel differently if they had just skipped it like the dinner at Arrakeen.

I think cutting the dinner was a major lost opportunity but maybe that's just us purists being picky. And I wish there was more background on mentats given.

Feyd is included in the book at the first introduction of the Harkonens. The Baron and Piter are discussing plans for Dune and the Baron keeps mentioning to Feyd to pay attention to his conversation with Piter.
YouBet
AG
tamuangry said:

YouBet said:

Feyd is included in the book at the first introduction of the Harkonens. The Baron and Piter are discussing plans for Dune and the Baron keeps mentioning to Feyd to pay attention to his conversation with Piter.

Hmm, yep that's right. It's so brief I guess I forgot about it.
NE PA Ag
Excited to finally be seeing the movie tonight!

Regarding the Harkonen appetite for depravity, it's been many years since I read the book or saw the Lynch movie. That scene in the film with the Baron pulling the "heart plug" on the teenaged boy, I do not remember that from the book. Was it in the book? That was quite disturbing.
NE PA Ag
Google is my friend...I recall correctly. Talk about injecting 'Blue Velvet' moment into the movie. David Lynch was pretty twisted.
YouBet
AG
bonfarr
AG
I generally like Mamoa when he is kicking ass and not expected to talk.much similar to Arnold in the Conan movies. I was at Celebrity Fan Fest in SA after the Game of Thrones finale and in a panel discussion someone asked him if he would consider doing a remake of the Schwarzenegger/DeVito "Twins" movie with him and Peter Dinklage in the starring role and he said "**** yeah". I would love to see that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.