***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,393 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Since they were being ritually bleed and using the blood to mark the Sardaukar, I dont like the idea of failed Sardaukar.

Prisoners makes more sense but the idea I like (because of how absolutely brutal and cultish it is), is that they are sacrificed Sardaukar like Lief in the first season of Vikings.

Book spoilers:

I thought the whole planet was the emperor's prison planet. The Sardukar were just the ones who survived through it
YouBet
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Since they were being ritually bleed and using the blood to mark the Sardaukar, I dont like the idea of failed Sardaukar.

Prisoners makes more sense but the idea I like (because of how absolutely brutal and cultish it is), is that they are sacrificed Sardaukar like Lief in the first season of Vikings.

Book spoilers:

I thought the whole planet was the emperor's prison planet. The Sardukar were just the ones who survived through it
In the book, it was called a "prison planet". In the movie, I noticed that the descriptor of it was called "military planet" (I think?). Regardless, it wasn't labeled what it was in the book.
Duncan Idaho
Champ Bailey said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Book spoilers:

That is the way I remember it in the book. But there was clearly a religious tone to them in the movie. Between the crucifixions, blood making and throat singing priests.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Maybe a "Lord of the Flies" look into how they got to that point.

I think the movie did what it did to just keep things concise.
TCTTS
AG
For those interested/in the same boat... I usually have the HDR setting off on my Apple TV/4K TV - it's always so dark, and I've futzed with every setting a million times - but I tried turning HDR on for Dune on HBO Max and it looks absolutely incredible. Some interior scenes are still a bit too dark, but all of the desert footage is just stunning. A better picture than even in the theater. Now I really, really need the 4K Blu-ray in HDR/IMAX 1.9:1 ratio...
TCTTS
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
This is my version of the book, I love the artwork.

YouBet
AG
Champ Bailey said:

This is my version of the book, I love the artwork.

I'm jealous of that.
TCTTS
AG
I think I've watched this movie six times now. I've lost count because multiple sequences I've watched well over six times. Regardless, the entire thing just gets better and better every single time. To the point where everything else in this genre - Star Wars, Avatar, etc - increasingly feels like child's play in comparison.
Sea Speed
AG
Because star wars is ass, my dude.
Max Power
AG
After having watched Dune several times at this point, as well as having read the original text, it's pretty shocking how much George Lucas "borrowed" from Dune. This was never something that really dawned on me in my younger years, and Star Wars will always hold a special place in my heart so I don't begrudge what Lucas created. The Lynch movie didn't really trigger those feelings in me, but the Villeneuve film does.

The similarities are numerous and I don't really care to get into each one but it's crazy how much more my eyes are open to this fact as an adult than it ever was when I was as a kid. I do believe Lucas created his own universe, but his jumping off point hits so close to home that it definitely cheapens it to an extent.

I'm curious how many other people that have watched the Villeneuve film, that grew up with Star Wars as their definitive sci-fi epic, had similar realizations.
Duncan Idaho
Sea Speed said:

I wouldn't say it is ass but it is certainly child's play...and that is it's charm
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Sea Speed said:

YouBet
AG
Max Power said:

After having watched Dune several times at this point, as well as having read the original text, it's pretty shocking how much George Lucas "borrowed" from Dune. This was never something that really dawned on me in my younger years, and Star Wars will always hold a special place in my heart so I don't begrudge what Lucas created. The Lynch movie didn't really trigger those feelings in me, but the Villeneuve film does.

The similarities are numerous and I don't really care to get into each one but it's crazy how much more my eyes are open to this fact as an adult than it ever was when I was as a kid. I do believe Lucas created his own universe, but his jumping off point hits so close to home that it definitely cheapens it to an extent.

I'm curious how many other people that have watched the Villeneuve film, that grew up with Star Wars as their definitive sci-fi epic, had similar realizations.
I'm looking forward to my second rewatch on HBO Max so I can really dive into this movie on my own and see more of this for myself.

This is largely why Dune is considered by many as the seminal work of science fiction in literary history.
KALALL
AG
I was finally able to see Dune last night and wow it was awesome. I had high expectations after following this thread but it was even better than I was expecting. I was prepared for my wife to have a million questions, but she was able to follow along with things very well, which is a testament to how well the movie fleshed out the world. I can't wait until part 2.
aggie_wes
AG
So sorry if this was already answered, I'm listening to the audiobooks and would prefer to finish before I see the movie. How far in the books does part I go?
Duncan Idaho
Do want a page number or spoiler details?
schmendeler
AG
aggie_wes said:

So sorry if this was already answered, I'm listening to the audiobooks and would prefer to finish before I see the movie. How far in the books does part I go?

After they rescue Leia but before they blow up the death star.
YouBet
AG
aggie_wes said:

About 50-55%.
maca1028
aggie_wes said:

Couldn't wait to see the movie and now I'm reading the book. I just got to the point in the book where the movie ends which is about halfway through the first book
Carlo4
AG
TCTTS said:

I think I've watched this movie six times now. I've lost count because multiple sequences I've watched well over six times. Regardless, the entire thing just gets better and better every single time. To the point where everything else in this genre - Star Wars, Avatar, etc - increasingly feels like child's play in comparison.
I didn't get to see it in the theaters yet. My experience has been HBO Max 4 times now. Caught it Day 1, and then a few viewings while on the mend from a horrible cold/possibly COVID.

You're right in that it is getting better on every viewing. I can't explain why, but the multiple story lines, worlds, and how it all ties together in sync is just... perfect... like Lilu Dallas Multipass.
aggie_wes
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I don't know, LOL. I'm on chapter 29.
TCTTS
AG
EDIT: nm
YouBet
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Book spoilers:

This is true. I just read through this last night. Interestingly, Thufir had to explain to the Baron what was really happening on that planet. Apparently, most of the Great Houses had not put two and two together and realized that the Sardukar were former prisoners who had survived the torture and horrors' of whatever it is the Emperor put the prisoners through.
The Porkchop Express
Max Power said:

and the novel Dune ripped off from a thousand other stories dating back throughout the history of time. Young man with extraordinary powers embraces his destiny, loses his father, surviving in a harsh environment, sight beyond sight, wins his manhood in a trial by blood, foretold by mystics to be "The Chosen One". Dune didn't exactly break the mold.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sea Speed said:

Edgy.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
aggie_wes said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I don't know, LOL. I'm on chapter 29.
Finish Chapter 31. That is where the movie ended.
CC09LawAg
I really feel like we need someone with a user name that carries a little more credibility...I'm not sure how fully invested you are into this universe
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
CC09LawAg said:

I really feel like we need someone with a user name that carries a little more credibility...I'm not sure how fully invested you are into this universe
Ok, ok.

I will change it to Arrakis Imperial Ecologist
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
CC09LawAg said:

If not the Arrakis ecologist, then perhaps Duncan Idaho?
maca1028
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

CC09LawAg said:

If not the Arrakis ecologist, then perhaps Duncan Idaho?

Or Count Finring
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, Dune leaves HBO Max this weekend. It sounds like it'll be available until end of day, Sunday the 21st, at 11:59 PM Pacific. And it won't be available to watch again at home - via digital rental (not HBO Max), digital purchase, or Blu-ray - until some point in January 2022 or so. Maybe late December. So get your rewatches in while you can...
TCTTS
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
Dammit that's too far away!
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I actually thought the exact opposite. This is an insane, record turnaround between franchise movies shot by the same director, that didn't shoot back-to-back/at the same time. To be able to release the Skywalker saga sequel trilogy movies at a two-year pace, they had to rotate directors and have one prepping the next movie while the other was being edited. So I'm still going to be pleasantly surprised if WB/Villeneuve actually make that October '23 release date, and it doesn't get pushed back to, say, summer '24.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.