***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

220,801 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS
AG
jr15aggie said:

TCTTS said:

Is the title ever used *in* the book? If not, so there's no confusion on the part of the audience, the filmmakers can just have characters ham-handedly repeat the title over and over in the trailer...

(punches an alien in the face)
"Welcome to Dune, motherf/cker!"

(screams to the sky in agony)
"Duuuuune!"

(pleads with Paul, who looks back over his shoulder)
"Forget it, Paul. It's Dune."

(leaves a sci-fi-looking bathroom, waves hand to fan away the smell)
"Dune-ot go in there!"

Ok, I'm done.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Definitely need to do a reread of Dune before this hits!
Prophet00
AG
https://coub.com/view/14yr7j

TCTTS
AG
Fan-made, but still kinda cool...

TCTTS
AG

Chase McGuire
Started my re-read of Dune recently. Stoked for this one.
Duncan Idaho
Word is that is woke.
amercer
AG
Been a long time since I read the book, but my recollection is that you wouldn't have to try too hard to make that universe diverse and inclusive.
Duncan Idaho
That is why I find it humorous.

What I saw is that it places Jessica at the forefront (which I agree with) and liet might be a chick.

All in all pretty meaningless.
PatAg
AG
I think the book is pretty much big screen ready, requiring little manipulation to bring to life. I'm most interested to see the costumes/makeup choices, and what mix of practical and special effects they employ. Could ruin the movie if they misstep there.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
As long as Liet still spits on the floor in front of the duke and Chani is her daughter, doesn't really matter. Jessica should only be in the forefront for the first movie though.

And they could have just left Liet a man but made the Shadout Mapes more important.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Chase McGuire
I forgot how great this book is. Holy *****
AliasMan02
AG
All the woke talk really is silly. The book is loaded with incredibly strong female figures... hell, the Bene Gesserit basically run Imperial politics. Their need for a male Messiah could be problematic for some, I guess, because the book (a fantasy novel with ornithopters and psychics and space-altering drug cults) is clear that there are differences between the male and female psyche.

The first portion of the book is absolutely Jessica's story, told from her perspective. Paul is still coming into his own and spends a lot of time protected by his mother. All of the peril to Paul and the Duke is presented through Jessica's eyes.

The ragtag heroes of the book are essentially Space Arabs.

The villainy is all wrapped up in corporate power and influence.

The novel is pretty woke without having to make a bunch of changes.
TexAgBolter
AG
So, are we finally within the month when the first Dune trailer will drop?
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Current speculation seems to be that the trailer will debut at CinemaCon on Tuesday, March 31, then in theaters with No Time to Die a week later on Wednesday, April 8, and online at some point between those two dates. This makes a ton of sense and I'd be relatively surprised if it doesn't go down that way.

Or...

Quote:

5.1.20 with BLACK WIDOW
The first weekend of May has no doubt become tradition for tons of big-name trailers to debut, and this one would fit right along with all the others.

6.4.20 with WONDER WOMAN 1984
Previously, I wouldn't have thought WB would wait this long, but considering they waited 'til December to debut the first WW84 trailer - just six months before the film's release - maybe they do the same here.
Chase McGuire
No Time to Die has been delayed until November, so we can scratch that trailer possiblity off the list.
TCTTS
AG
IF CinemaCon still happens on March 31st (in Vegas), the trailer will still almost assuredly debut there. CinemaCon is the biggest new-footage-reveal convention on the Hollywood calendar - even bigger than ComicCon - except it's every major studio (not just two or three) putting on massive presentations of all their new movies coming out over the next year. The issue is that it's only for theater owners and journalists, who live-blog each panel. So now it's a question of A) whether CinemaCon is cancelled or not, and B) if not, will WB also debut the trailer online, for the public, without a big in-theater movie to attach it to within the following week. Personally, I think CinemaCon gets cancelled, but if not, I think WB debuts the trailer there for theater owners and journalists only, we hear all about it, but don't see it online until a month later the week of Black Widow, and it debuts in theaters then (on Friday, May 1st).
TCTTS
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm kind of wondering if we should have a thread on Coronavirus and it's effect on Entertainment, both on the general level and the specific level, like in this case with Dune.
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, at this rate, I think theaters will be closed within the next 10 days or so. Either they'll be forced to or one of the big chains will do so and everyone else will follow. I went to see a movie tonight and the theater was a ghost town. Super eerie. I mentally prepared myself for it potentially being my last theater outing for a few weeks if not months.

But yeah, a coronavirus/entertainment thread is a good idea. I'll get one going...
fig96
AG
Since I know we have some fans of hers here..

TCTTS
AG
Dang it, don't tease me like that. Considering Dune could potentially have to move to 2021, with all the summer movies likely shifting back to the fall/holiday (for instance, there's a feeling that WB might very well slide Tenet into Dune's December spot).

Seriously, though, that's awesome. Sounds like everyone brought their A-game for this thing.
bearamedic99
AG
Is Dune completed and simply waiting on release or is some production being still done?
fig96
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Is Dune completed and simply waiting on release or is some production being still done?
Based on the current December timeline they would most likely be done shooting and into post production/VFX at this point.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, they finished filming a while back. Months ago. It's probably edited now too, for the most part. I'm assuming the rest of post production that's yet to be done is effects, the score, mixing, etc.
YouBet
AG
fig96 said:

Since I know we have some fans of hers here..

Man, she is pretty.
TexAgBolter
AG
Need Dune trailer. Do it for the morale of the nation.
TCTTS
AG
Ironically, the first trailer likely would have debuted in theaters today with No Time to Die. But with the schedule so up in the air, I doubt we see a trailer any time soon. If I had to bet money right now, I still think Warner Bros. moves Dune to spring 2021, and slots Tenet in its place in December. I hope I'm wrong, but either way, big, studio movies likely aren't going to start advertising again until we know for sure what's happening with theaters, and we obviously won't know that until we have a better idea of what's happening with the virus, which is going to be May/June at the earliest. In other words, I would be shocked if we see a trailer before the summer.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, they finished filming a while back. Months ago. It's probably edited now too, for the most part. I'm assuming the rest of post production that's yet to be done is effects, the score, mixing, etc.

Seriously??? I didn't know they had started yet... We haven't seen one set image or costume photo though right?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, filming was March through July of last year. So they had a little over seven months of post-production before everything grinded to a halt. No official stills or anything like that yet, though. The only "official" thing we've seen so far is the logo treatment, posted on previous pages, but that was merely a photo of a guy standing on stage in front of the logo on a backdrop, and it wasn't released publicly. It sounds like the plan was to release the first trailer at CinemaCon in Vegas on March 31, and then publicly with No Time to Die this week, but those plans obviously went to hell.
TCTTS
AG
I'm assuming this has something to do with the new movie? If so, it's almost assuredly not a trailer (though, who knows), but maybe concept art or our first stills? It still seems odd to me to kick off the marketing campaign in the middle of a pandemic, but we shall see...

TexAgBolter
AG
Shai Hulud!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.