***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,356 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG
At this point I think Tenet goes to VOD within the month. I'm wondering if the Regal closing now gives WB permission to void the 90-day window. We shall see...
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

At this point I think Tenet goes to VOD within the month. I'm wondering if the Regal closing now gives WB permission to void the 90-day window. We shall see...
i'd like to buy a physical copy, myself. is that the sort of thing that they already have "in the can" (extras, etc finished) when a movie releases, or does that require additional work?

bottom line, how long after, do you reckon, i can get a blu-ray?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Was going to reread Dune soon but I guess I have more time now.
PatAg
AG
I don't know how much you can blame things on a govt overreaction to covid anymore.
Theaters opened up, there were showings all over for Tenet, right? People just didn't want to go, and if there is no demand/revenue then the theaters close.

What I think they should do, is just release these movies on VoD as scheduled. Then, whenever the climate is right for people to feel comfortable going en masse to the movies again, they could easily just have release dates in theater again for Dune, Tenet, any other blockbuster.

People WOULD 100% still go see it in theater, whether they watched it at home or not already.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I would go see the David Lynch directors cut in a theater right now.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
schmendeler said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

This is a bunch of crap.

Will there be any theaters left to show any movie in with all these postponements? I could put a list of things that I really hate right now, and right near the top would be this vast over-reaction of the f*****ng virus. Hey, let's destroy so many industries, or seriously cripple them, all for a virus that the vast majority will survive.
i don't know if you have or not, so this isn't a "gotcha", but have you gone to see any of the movies in the theaters right now? Saw Tenet, the only new movie that I had any interest in seeing. Also saw Back to the Future and The Empire Strikes Back.

you have to put your money where your mouth is if you're going to complain about an over-reaction to the virus.

they aren't going to put out movies that have a limited "freshness" if they are going to make $15 million dollars on them. I get that, and from a general business perspective, I understand that the vast majority of these movies cost well more than $15m to make, so yeah, the studios want payoffs on their investments, but was any of this shut-down really necessary? For a few weeks very early on, I agreed with the shutdown, but now, with so much understanding of how the virus is working and how to combat it, with vaccines on the horizon, all of that, this shut-down has become a political creature. Again, how many theaters are going to shutter since they can't get sufficient butts in the seats to stay afloat?

if people aren't going to the theaters to see the movies, then you can't get too upset about studios trying to hold on to projects that they want to get a good return on.

i applaud TENET for trying to make it happen, but even worldwide, i don't think they are going to turn a profit from theatrical release. supposed production cost was ~$200 million and they are at like $300 million worldwide right now. my understanding of movie finances is dim, but i think that puts them solidly in the red, still.
Chipotlemonger
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CGIc9M1hTg6

Dumb how the caption doesn't show. I'll summarize, Hans Zimmer rendition of Pink Floyd song "Eclipse" for Dune is now available.
TCTTS
AG
If posted to both, I always use the Twitter embeds whenever I can...

FL_Ag1998
AG
PatAg said:

I don't know how much you can blame things on a govt overreaction to covid anymore.
Theaters opened up, there were showings all over for Tenet, right? People just didn't want to go, and if there is no demand/revenue then the theaters close.

Saying "people didn't want to go" is simplistic and naive. I'm a huge Nolan fan, but Tenet was the wrong movie to gauge the willingness of the public to go back to the theater. Plus the knock on it's sound quality by virtually everyone who did see it hurt as well. They needed to try the reopening with something HUGE that would draw your average moviegoer, not a niche crowd. Wonder Woman 2 would have been perfect....comic book crowd, sequel that people are excited to see, blockbuster popcorn action movie.
PatAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

PatAg said:

Saying "people didn't want to go" is simplistic and naive. I'm a huge Nolan fan, but Tenet was the wrong movie to gauge the willingness of the public to go back to the theater. Plus the knock on it's sound quality by virtually everyone who did see it hurt as well. They needed to try the reopening with something HUGE that would draw your average moviegoer, not a niche crowd. Wonder Woman 2 would have been perfect....comic book crowd, sequel that people are excited to see, blockbuster popcorn action movie.
I think saying a Nolan blockbuster is "the wrong movie to gauge the wilingness of the publick to go back to the theater" is moronic.
FL_Ag1998
AG
PatAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

PatAg said:

I think saying a Nolan blockbuster is "the wrong movie to gauge the wilingness of the publick to go back to the theater" is moronic.

Again, simpleminded. Reminiscent of your posts on the Stars thread. Or maybe you're still just butthurt over that ending.
Al Bula
AG
Sex Panther said:

Should've used this for the trailer music:
AliasMan02
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

PatAg said:

I kinda agree with this. Put Kevin Hart and Dave Franco in dresses for a movie version of Bosom Buddies and roll that out to test the readiness of the people to return to theaters.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

https://dunenewsnet.com/2020/11/dune-movie-test-screening-positive-reviews/
AustinAg2K
I just finished the book. It was decent. I feel like this had the potential to be a Game of Thrones type TV series. I kind of wish they would have gone that direction instead of a movie. It seems like they're going to have to cut a lot of stuff to fit into 2 hours.
PDWT_12
AG
You may already know this but the first book will be split into 2 movies, and they are actually doing a Dune series for HBO Max called The Sisterhood which will focus on the Bene Gesserit.

I'm hoping all of this is done and received well enough that they can further explore the Dune world.
TCTTS
AG
Forgot to post this a while back, but here's an awesome, 4K HDR version of the trailer. Be sure and select "2160p 4K" in the quality settings for maximum effect...

PatAg
AG
AustinAg2K said:

I just finished the book. It was decent. I feel like this had the potential to be a Game of Thrones type TV series. I kind of wish they would have gone that direction instead of a movie. It seems like they're going to have to cut a lot of stuff to fit into 2 hours.
I could see potentially going to a 8 episodes 45min-1hr long each limited series run, similar to how BBC has done shows.
There is not enough material to do a Game of Thrones type run. I actually think it should fit pretty well into 2 movies though.
Al Bula
AG
PatAg said:

There is not enough material to do a Game of Thrones type run. I actually think it should fit pretty well into 2 movies though.
There most definitely is enough Dune material to do a series.

The first three books are a trilogy, so with the way that Hollyweird likes to draw things out you could definitely stretch the material for 4-5 seasons. Brian Herbert would cream his panties at the thought of generating more garbage Dune fanfic for a tv series.

The fourth book would be a standalone season.

Books 5 and 6 are probably two seasons.

The above points do not take into account there are already 3 prequel (fanfic) novels to Dune and 2 (more fanfic) which conclude the story arc from original Dune books 5 and 6. As I have stated before, I have great disdain for the crap Frank Herbert's son cranked out.
Duncan Idaho
I want an entire series dedicated to Marty and Daniel
TCTTS
AG
So who's seeing this tonight? Can't wait to start reading everyone's reactions. I'm trying to get tickets for Saturday, but it looks like part of the system is down for some reason. So stoked, though! Finally!
NoHo Hank
AG
I googled it for a second thinking maybe it was coming to HBO max for a night or something. I am jack's broken heart.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
TCTTS said:

So who's seeing this tonight? Can't wait to start reading everyone's reactions. I'm trying to get tickets for Saturday, but it looks like part of the system is down for some reason. So stoked, though! Finally!
Did you forget to log into Redstone?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

This movie may rival No Time to Die as my favorite movie of 2020, although Maverick: Top Gun was so damn good.
PDWT_12
AG
TCTTS said:

PatAg
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

PatAg said:

There most definitely is enough Dune material to do a series.

The first three books are a trilogy, so with the way that Hollyweird likes to draw things out you could definitely stretch the material for 4-5 seasons. Brian Herbert would cream his panties at the thought of generating more garbage Dune fanfic for a tv series.

The fourth book would be a standalone season.

Books 5 and 6 are probably two seasons.

The above points do not take into account there are already 3 prequel (fanfic) novels to Dune and 2 (more fanfic) which conclude the story arc from original Dune books 5 and 6. As I have stated before, I have great disdain for the crap Frank Herbert's son cranked out.
Let me clarify.

I was peaking to the first book being good enough to make into a movie, and there is not enough material to make a tv show.

I would not be watching any shows about the sequel books.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Sorry, I am confused.

This thread jumped from 11/19 to 12/17 with no context.

Is something happening? I thought the movie moved back to Oct 2021?
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
Bird Poo
AG
Confused. So it will stream on HBO Max for a month and they'll remove it until the 2021 theatre release?
TCTTS
AG
Dune was originally scheduled to premiere in theaters tonight. It was a dumb joke, playing off the idea that I didn't know the release date had changed. As of now, Dune is still scheduled to hit theaters and HBO Max on October 1, 2021. It will run on HBO Max for one month, then either play exclusively in theaters starting November 2021, or will expand to all VOD platforms at that point. We don't yet know WB's strategy in that regard.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/legendary-fight-warner-bros-hbo-max-save-dune-streaming-1234606250/
TCTTS
AG
In other words, it's sounding more and more like Dune won't go to HBO Max day-and-date and will instead remain a theatrical exclusive on October 1, 2021.
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.