***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,407 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sex Panther said:

Rick Dalton said:

We now have an official trailer and release date, so I think the question of "Dune to become new film franchise?" has been answered. Flag this post if you'd like to kindly ask Staff to change the thread title to:

*** DUNE *** (Denis Villeneuve)

Flagging as "Rumor, Unconfirmed or False Information" seems most appropriate.

SEXUALLY. EXPLICIT.
Guess I'll go on a 3 day ban for you m'fers.

Y'all owe me.
Duncan Idaho
Who is aquaman supposed to be?
Grimey
Duncan Idaho said:

I see what you did there.
AliasMan02
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Duncan Idaho

edit: gdit
RadAg14
AG
Classic otw
AliasMan02
AG
Not sure I liked the song choice for the trailer, but the movie looks incredible. My only reservation is that it may be one of these things where it just cannot live up to my expectations, no matter how great it is.
uujm
Alejandro Jodorowsky's Dune was supposed to have a Pink Floyd soundtrack.

http://www.openculture.com/2016/10/14-hour-epic-film-dune-that-alejandro-jodorowsky-never-made.html
schmendeler
AG
do we have a run time yet?
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
PDWT_12 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

****. Yes.

Only complaint is the possible spoiler towards the end there but that has me hyped. i will undoubtedly be watching that another 3-15 more times.

I agree. I think I would have preferred leaving it at wormsign.
I thought maybe he was referring to Duncan calling Paul "My Duke" which might spoil the fact that Oscar Isaac isn't going to survive this movie
Yup. Exactly. but the reference could easily slide past most since I dont think Leto was ever referred to as "Duke" elsewhere in the trailer, just the ruler of Arrakis. and since most people are used to those with the title of Duke being less than a King/Queen, it likely gets missed
Claude!
We saw a lot of Duncan Idaho, but very little Gurney Halleck or Lady Jessica, and I don't recall Thufir Hawat at all.
Chase McGuire
It's beautiful.
bearamedic99
AG
I'm working thru a re-read of the book.

I hope the movie does a good job showing Paul fighting to steer away from the jihad and a decent job during Jessica's ascension to Reverend Mother of the Fremen racial history.
Claude!
Did you notice that they didn't call it Jihad in the trailer - used the word crusade. Wonder if that will be go-forward or if they'll use them interchangeably.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Full aspect ratio, higher-quality YouTube embed...

Saw this in IMAX before Tenet. Epic.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I started the book on vacation in July and read 400 pages in 3 days, then had to settle for about 10-15 pages a day when I got back, just finishing it a couple of days ago so I'm in a great frame of mind to be super excited about the movie. With it so fresh in mind, I couldn't help but notice right away that they change "jihad" to "crusade" in the opening lines, but that's to be expected in modern society.

Other than that, I'm super excited about it. For frequent fans of it, are the sequels worth reading?
AliasMan02
AG
Jessica is the toughest character to get right, I think.
schmendeler
AG
Claude! said:

Did you notice that they didn't call it Jihad in the trailer - used the word crusade. Wonder if that will be go-forward or if they'll use them interchangeably.
i imagine they are trying to avoid the association of that word with the recent history. when the book was written, that word was probably a lot more exotic sounding and less "real".
bearamedic99
AG
I feel the sequels are similar to the sequels of Ender's Game.

The books feel different and, while continuing the universe, they drop off in quality.

That being said, I loved the first book in both series enough to continue the series and see it played out. I felt it worth it to continue with the Frank Herbert sequels.
PDWT_12
AG

PDWT_12 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

****. Yes.

Only complaint is the possible spoiler towards the end there but that has me hyped. i will undoubtedly be watching that another 3-15 more times.

I thought maybe he was referring to Duncan calling Paul "My Duke" which might spoil the fact that Oscar Isaac isn't going to survive this movie
Yup. Exactly. but the reference could easily slide past most since I dont think Leto was ever referred to as "Duke" elsewhere in the trailer, just the ruler of Arrakis. and since most people are used to those with the title of Duke being less than a King/Queen, it likely gets missed
Agreed. Not sure I would have noticed if I didn't have the knowledge beforehand.
RichardSplet
Halleck is in the trailer when training with Paul in their shields
Al Bula
AG
The movie looks incredible and audacious.

That trailer song was terrible and a boner killer for sure.

I like the choice of actress for Jessica. I will have to see more of Paul and Chani in the movie to fully buy into them. Idaho, Gurney, Leto, the Baron and Rabban all seem like home runs. They could all very well outshine Paul.

And yes, I would encourage everyone to read Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune. Stop there. Never ever pick up those Dune fanfic novels written by Herbert's son.
TCTTS
AG
I need this trailer in 4K ASAP.
DVC2010
AG
PDWT_12 said:

PDWT_12 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

****. Yes.

Agreed. Not sure I would have noticed if I didn't have the knowledge beforehand.
Well I, for one am going to use the original word when I talk about the movie. And people will look at me exactly the way they do when I correct Cate Blanchett's pronunciation in Fellowship of the Ring.

This is certainly a cultural thing, but the word "crusade" doesn't carry nearly the ominous weight that "jihad" does. We use the former to refer to over-zealous soccer moms trying to install speed bumps.
TCTTS
AG
As for the music, I respect the choice, and understand its significance/what they're going for, but agree that it doesn't quite work here. It's the kind of choice you'd find in a third or fourth trailer that's dropped like a week before the film's release - not in the first trailer meant to (re)introduce this franchise to the world.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
uujm said:

Alejandro Jodorowsky's Dune was supposed to have a Pink Floyd soundtrack.

http://www.openculture.com/2016/10/14-hour-epic-film-dune-that-alejandro-jodorowsky-never-made.html
The second I realized it was a Pink Floyd song, it just made sense to me because of seeing that documentary.....
TCTTS
AG
Couldn't the trades give us just ONE day to enjoy the trailer? Sorry to rain the parade...

https://deadline.com/2020/09/wonder-woman-1984-release-date-change-2020-november-christmas-1203019735/

Quote:

With New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco movie theaters still not open, our exhibition sources are hearing that Warner Bros. is apt to move Wonder Woman 1984 again, this time out of its current Oct. 2 date to either sometime in November or possibly to late December, thus bumping the studio's Legendary feature Dune out of its Dec. 18 weekend to sometime in 2021.
Duncan Idaho
Back in the pre 9/11 days, I remember speaking to my development team about a new project we were kicked ng off and one of our more grizzled developers asked "how serious is leadership about this project...is this the latest crusade for the company?"

My answer: "No. This is a jihad. This project will recreate this company and our future. Nothing will be the same once we get our fist build."

FalconAg06
Guys, can someone in the know give me the recommended dune reading order? I read the first book and loved it years ago, but didn't know it was part of a HUGE number of other books.
TCTTS
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
FalconAg06 said:

Guys, can someone in the know give me the recommended dune reading order? I read the first book and loved it years ago, but didn't know it was part of a HUGE number of other books.
As Ocean of Funk recommended, just pay attention to these and read them in this order:

Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune
FalconAg06
Chipotlemonger said:

FalconAg06 said:

As Ocean of Funk recommended, just pay attention to these and read them in this order:

Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

As for the music, I respect the choice, and understand its significance/what they're going for, but agree that it doesn't quite work here. It's the kind of choice you'd find in a third or fourth trailer that's dropped like a week before the film's release - not in the first trailer meant to (re)introduce this franchise to the world.
I took a stab at a more "Hollywood / General Audience" song for the trailer. Interested in you guys' opinion.

Mathguy64
AG
Those not liking the song choice at the end think about the lyrics.

"and the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon." Now instead read it "and the Son is eclipsed by the Moon." Paul, the Son of Leto and Jessica eclipsed by Muad' dib, where the name comes from and how he hides from the Sun. Its a really clever play on words.
Ornithopter
AG
I like the way fighting with shields and knives looks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.