***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,352 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
powerbelly said:

wangus12 said:

I don't know of anyone watching new movies at home other than the animated kids movies families that don't want to take the kids to the theater.

In for 7pm at IMAX in Frisco. The true IMAX in Dallas was pretty much sold out and I don't want to wait past Thursday
I am not so sure. The fact that the IMAX in Dallas isn't sold out (when I looked this morning) for any of the showings is interesting in and of itself.
I'm not surprised Cinemark 17 IMAX isn't sold out completely. The seats that are left in that theater are total garbage for watching an IMAX film unless you want neck problems. I saw those and said no thanks.
PatAg
AG
Sapper Redux said:

powerbelly said:

YouBet said:

I got our tickets the second they went on sale for Friday night at IMAX here in Dallas. The very next showing at 7:30 (not imax) literally has not sold a single seat and it's a huge theater. Checked last night.

That isn't good.
It will be interesting to watch the trends here. Maybe a look at post-Covid theater going behavior.

Not trying to get political, but we aren't post-Covid yet. Some people want to force us to go back to pre-Covid without recognizing that there are many, many people who will choose to not behave in a pre-Covid manner until they feel things are safer. I just hope ot doesn't hurt the ability of this movie to get a sequel.
Bird Poo
AG
wangus12 said:

powerbelly said:

wangus12 said:

I don't know of anyone watching new movies at home other than the animated kids movies families that don't want to take the kids to the theater.

In for 7pm at IMAX in Frisco. The true IMAX in Dallas was pretty much sold out and I don't want to wait past Thursday
I am not so sure. The fact that the IMAX in Dallas isn't sold out (when I looked this morning) for any of the showings is interesting in and of itself.
I'm not surprised Cinemark 17 IMAX isn't sold out completely. The seats that are left in that theater are total garbage for watching an IMAX film unless you want neck problems. I saw those and said no thanks.
Is the Stonebriar IMAX in Frisco worth the money?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
wangus12
AG
That's where I'm going because there were still plenty of good seats left. I've actually never been there before even though I live in McKinney. I usually go down to Alamo Drafthouse for everything and down to Cinemark 17 near my office for IMAX.

My big thing with IMAX is I'm not taking any seat in the first several rows and I don't want to be out on the edges either. I remember going to an early screening of Interstellar before its actual release and got stuck at the bottom row because nothing was left and it was the most uncomfortable viewing experience of my life. You just couldn't see the full screen
Decay
AG
Just checking in because I finally managed to finish the book. I have to admit I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It's dry, confusing, and built like a collection of stories moreso than one book.

But for starters I've read lots of sci fi and plenty of it has similar writing problems so that was actually kind of welcoming. It felt familiar in that sense.

However you don't read this for its mastery of construction. The magic is in the content. And wow, it's totally a unique work. Yes many have borrowed from it, but it's obvious they have borrowed parts from a whole. This world is composed and cohesive. It's not Star Wars in the sense that things are kinda just happenstance in a particular way. Everything has been crafted and thought out.

I also liked knowing what Paul and Duke Leto looked like from the trailers. They're probably not exactly what the Frank Herbert was describing but they fit well with the characters I read.

All in all I'm now very excited to see this movie. It's time to see what a craftsman can do in the theater with the vivid groundwork laid in the book.
The Porkchop Express
The casting has had me excited since Day 1, particularly Paul's look - I had never heard of that actor previously - along with Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem. Such a treat to have so many great actors inhabiting supporting roles. That's always really exciting thing to see. In reading Dune previously, I definitely would not have thought Oscar Isaac for the Duke based on Paul's precog of what his story is, but their physical resemblance is great, and Poe Dameron is going to change my mind about the patriach of House Atreidis getting to tell the story from his own POV, I think.

This is on the level of how excited I was about some of the casting for Game of Thrones, having stumbled across the books a couple of years before it blew up on HBO - the characters that you love so dearly brought to life by stunningly good actors - for me on GOT that included Ned, Jamie, Barristan Selmy, Davos, Jorah Mormont, and of course, Tyrion, it makes all the difference in the world.

Think I'm going this weekend.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I had never heard of that actor previously
I'm surprised how often this has been said about Chalamet. He was Oscar nominated just a couple years ago.

Granted not many people have probably seen Call Me By Your Name I suppose.

But either way he's one of the bigger "it" actors right now and I think he's gonna be huge after Dune.
Cromagnum
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

The casting has had me excited since Day 1, particularly Paul's look - I had never heard of that actor previously - along with Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem. Such a treat to have so many great actors inhabiting supporting roles. That's always really exciting thing to see. In reading Dune previously, I definitely would not have thought Oscar Isaac for the Duke based on Paul's precog of what his story is, but their physical resemblance is great, and Poe Dameron is going to change my mind about the patriach of House Atreidis getting to tell the story from his own POV, I think.

This is on the level of how excited I was about some of the casting for Game of Thrones, having stumbled across the books a couple of years before it blew up on HBO - the characters that you love so dearly brought to life by stunningly good actors - for me on GOT that included Ned, Jamie, Barristan Selmy, Davos, Jorah Mormont, and of course, Tyrion, it makes all the difference in the world.

Think I'm going this weekend.

Do you not watch movies?

schmendeler
AG
He's talking about Josh brolin's look. He only didn't know chalamet.
Duncan Idaho
This reads like Bizarro Redstone
Sea Speed
AG
Hell I've never even heard of that movie. You can put me in the camp of not knowing the actor either. From the little I have seen he looks like a good actor though.
YouBet
AG
I'm about 60% done right now. The thing I've found surprising during my rediscovery of this book is the "dryness" of it that you mention. It's partly due to Paul's precog abilities, but so many things that happen in the book would be cliffhanger type moments in other books or movies.

But here, potential massive plot events just nonchalantly happen during the course of the story. It's an interesting style that I'm just not used to anymore with the way things are written now.

The other interesting thing that hit me was that my wife was worried about seeing it without any backstory. And I thought about it for a second and there is really nothing to worry about. It's actually a pretty simple story comparatively speaking. There aren't 350 different characters and clans to keep up with and the overarching story line is fairly compact.
YouBet
AG
The only reason I know who he is is because I happened to run across a Netflix movie he is in about king edward(?) which I still haven't finished.
Decay
AG
Agree on that. The pre-chapter verses threw me for a bit of a loop because they were so anticlimactic at times. I'm sure if you only read those parts you already got 75% of the story? I thought it hurt the impact of the actual literary aspect, but it added to the world. Although I liked the mouse-name part (avoiding spoilers).
The Porkchop Express
My apologies to the grammar police. I have only never heard of the kid playing Paul. I have no idea what that movie is that your referred to. Sounds like a country and western song. When you get decrepit like me and start seeing movies with the kids, your sphere of movie knowledge vastly degenerates.

Definitely need a scene between Brolin and Bardem when Stillgar tellls Gurney "You need to call it."
A is A
AG
New to this thread. (sorry for the long post and any hate I may cause).

I have 1 chapter left. I put the book down about a month ago after Leto was killed off and the poison debacle. I really did not like that turn. picked it back up last month. I will say that I have enjoyed the world. I did not watch a single trailer or see any casting. I have had my wife book us tickets at an IMAX for next Friday.

I am excited but nervous. I do think the book was a masterpiece in the character development and the world creation. The dialogue is good. I think the transitions are poor between events and chapters. I hope the movie expands on some plot lines missed within Dune and I (and I cannot believe I am saying this) hope the Director took some creative license in regard to the timing between different events in the books as well as how some events actually took place.

We know there will be a lot missed due to the nature of the thoughts all the characters have that just cannot come to screen.

Again. Excited and Nervous. I hope the Dune faithful are happy and I hope the sci-fi community as a whole like it. It is a BEATUIFUL world and would love to see AT LEAST Messiah and Children made into films.

edit 1: more
edit 2: typos
StinkyPinky
AG
A is A said:

I have 1 chapter left. I put the book down about a month ago after Leto was killed off and the poison debacle. I really did not like that turn. picked it back up last month. I will say that I have enjoyed the world. I did not watch a single trailer or see any casting. I have had my wife book us tickets at an IMAX for next Friday.

I am excited but nervous. I do think the book was a masterpiece in the character development and the world creation. The dialogue is good. I think the transitions are poor between events and chapters. I hope the movie expands on some plot lines missed within Dune and I (and I cannot believe I am saying this) hope the Director took some creative license in regard to the timing between different events in the books as well as how some events actually took place.

We know there will be a lot missed due to the nature of the thoughts all the characters have that just cannot come to screen.

Again. Excited and Nervous. I hope the Dune faithful are happy and I hope the sci-fi community as a whole like it. It is a BEATUIFUL world and would love to see AT LEAST Messiah and Children made into films.

I'm a fantasy nut (more fantasy than sci-fi), but also love good sci-fi. I haven't read the Book, have scene the original movie (I was a young kid when it came out, saw it at the drive in). Have been trying to decide if I wanted to read the book before this movie or wait. Usually I would read the book first but since the movie only covers half the book I plan to watch the movie first. Did you consider the same and of so what compelled you to read the book first? Glad you did?
powerbelly
AG
Bonzer103 said:

A is A said:

I'm a fantasy nut (more fantasy than sci-fi), but also love good sci-fi. I haven't read the Book, have scene the original movie (I was a young kid when it came out, saw it at the drive in). Have been trying to decide if I wanted to read the book before this movie or wait. Usually I would read the book first but since the movie only covers half the book I plan to watch the movie first. Did you consider the same and of so what compelled you to read the book first? Glad you did?
I would start the book so you get a sense of the world and characters in your head before the movie, just a personal preference.
javajaws
AG
Maybe do both? Watch the movie, then read the book, then watch it again.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
A is A
AG
Bonzer103 said:

A is A said:

I did not even know it was going to be a movie until I got the book from the library and and on the cover it said "soon to be a major motion picture". I enjoyed the book. I enjoy talking to people about it. I think the imagery created is unmatched - the book is one of the most well written epics I have read. Not having seen the movie, not sure how much they are going to change / leave out / add, though I would wager a substantial amount. Each sub-book (Dune, Mua'dib, The Prophet) probably could have been standalone films with the amount of content available.

I am glad I read it. I do not think the movie will be a disappointment but I also expect a lot of differences (and believe those differences are needed). The books is not written well for a screenplay. Too much internal dialogue that drives plotlines. The opening chapter of The Prophet is a good example where Hawat and the Baron two individuals have internal dialogues and it is great political theatre for the reader - really brings the characters previous and future actions into light. I do not know how this scene will play out - or if it will even be in the movie.

eta: Read the book. Always pro reading.
A is A
AG
okay - just found out wife did NOT get IMAX. but Xd or something.

Best IMAX near Woodlands/Spring OR Kingwood. (Or anywhere in between).
schmendeler
AG
Probably Regal Lone Star on 249
YouBet
AG
Bonzer103 said:

A is A said:

I love the original movie for what it was but after re-reading Dune again there are entire, very substantial scenes and plots left entirely out of that movie I had forgotten about. I can understand why considering the fickleness of moviegoers because some of them are just pure character driven chapters with zero action.
snowdog90
I would definitely agree that the book is amazing but not flawless. Some events aren't written as well as others.
TCTTS
AG
A little over 48 hours from now...

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Got a ticket for the XD showing at 11:50am on Friday.
YouBet
AG
You never read it, right? I'm actually beginning to wonder if this may be the rare movie>novel experience.

Sacrilege!
TCTTS
AG
Nope, still haven't read it. Purchased it, and it's sitting on my bookshelf, but am still waiting for the movie first.
A is A
AG
YouBet said:

You never read it, right? I'm actually beginning to wonder if this may be the rare movie>novel experience.

Sacrilege!

It has potential to surpass the book if they get the bloodline story line, the depth of religion, and the character development right. We all know the imagery will be superb
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Please tell me a movie that is "better" than the book?

Maybe "do Androids dream of Electric sheep?"

To kill a mockingbird is "basically as good" as the book.
Duncan Idaho
Forest Gump
C@LAg
Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

silence of the lambs

it is very faithful to the book, but tells a much tighter story

Good book. Great movie.
TCTTS
AG
The Social Network.
DVC2010
AG
Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

I'll second Androids/Blade Runner and add The Prestige.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.