***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

217,921 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bird Poo
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The going assumption is that the first trailer will be with The Rise of Skywalker in two months. Once that happens, I doubt this thread will fall off the first couple of pages again.
PatAg
AG
This is probably my most anticipated film. Between the quality of the source material, the actors being cast, and the director. Maybe I should try to keep my expectations down, but this feels like a can't miss hit to me.
Chipotlemonger
AG
It's just weird. I've posted multiple times on it, it's watchlisted, but then I'll randomly get on the regular Entertainment page and notice new posts that my watchlist didn't see. Oh well.
TCTTS
AG
If you don't go and actually "save" a thread it eventually falls off your watchlist after X amount of days.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
PatAg said:

This is probably my most anticipated film. Between the quality of the source material, the actors being cast, and the director. Maybe I should try to keep my expectations down, but this feels like a can't miss hit to me.
With The Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, I'm really looking forward to the director's take on Dune. I expect a gorgeous film(s) that will really capture the book. In fact, I am so looking forward to seeing this two-part movie that I got a copy of the book and am reading it now, for the first time since I was in high school. Still one of the best books I've ever read.
dc509
AG
I'm pumped for this. I think Timothee Chalet is going to be awesome. The only short coming I can find is that Salvador Dali won't get his shot to play the emperor of the galaxy.
TCTTS
AG
This is the first confirmation we've had, in quite some time, that they're actually in development on the sequel (or part two, or whatever you want to call it). Spaihts co-wrote part one - i.e. the movie hitting theaters November 2020 - and up until now, was showrunning the spinoff series, which is set to debut on the HBO Max streaming service, likely in 2021 (the pilot of which will also be directed by Villeneuve). But now Spaihts is officially leaving the series to begin writing the sequel/part two. It had been forever since we heard what the plan was, or if the second movie was actually happening, etc. So, while Warner Bros. still hasn't officially announced part two, and Villeneuve is not yet officially attached to direct, work on the sequel script *is* finally happening in an official capacity...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dune-sisterhood-showrunner-exit-hbo-max-series-1
Chipotlemonger
AG
Neat. Thanks for posting.
Duncan Idaho
There better be a second movie....I dont need another case of cinematic blue balls.
TCTTS
AG
Dune releases December 18, 2020.

My based-on-nothing prediction:

The teaser trailer drops online Wednesday, December 18, 2019, the day before The Rise of Skywalker hits theaters.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I'd love to see a trailer at the front end of tRoS
schmendeler
AG
I take it this could be considered as a vote of confidence for the success of part one?
TCTTS
AG
That was my interpretation.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
TCTTS said:

That was my interpretation.

And I love that interpretation.

I know the Blade Runner sequel wasn't an overwhelming success financially. But it was exquisite storytelling and Villanueva nailed the universe and tone of the original (which also had a lack luster box office performance).

Dune is a very cerebral and intense story and I do fear that it will be beyond massive chunks of the audience bell curve.

I've read the book 3 times and watched the 1985 film more than I can count. Each time I found things I missed or story threads beyond my sophistication before.

There is no way you can create the Dune universe in a single motion picture and still make it accessible to neophytes or avoid glossing over integral plot concepts.

It thrills me the powers that be have green lit a second film and I genuinely hope it brings them success because film makers like Dennis Villeneuve deserve more exposure and grande projects.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

Dune releases December 18, 2020.

My based-on-nothing prediction:

The teaser trailer drops online Wednesday, December 18, 2019, the day before The Rise of Skywalker hits theaters.

Just so I'm not getting anyone's hopes up, to be clear, it's EXTREMELY rare for a movie to have any kind of a teaser trailer a year before the movie's release. It basically happens only for Christopher Nolan movies nowadays, but even for Tenet, Warner Bros. switched gears and had only a theater-exclusive teaser out a year in advance, this past August, which still hasn't yet made its way online officially.

I just did some quick research and...

- The first teaser trailer for Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049, also a Warner Bros. movie, came out 10 MONTHS before the movie itself was released in theaters. That said, it *did* release in December - on December 19th, 2016 - so should we get a Dune teaser trailer in two weeks, the time of year would at least be the same, nearly to the day.

- Warner Bros. used to release teaser trailers for their DCEU movies roughly a year in advance (starting with Man of Steel), but have since stopped doing so. The last time it happened was for Justice League, the first teaser trailer for which premiered at Comic-Con in late July 2016, 18 MONTHS before the movie's release. At that same Comic-Con, WB also debuted the first teaser trailer for Wonder Woman, 10 MONTHS before the movie's release.

In other words, considering the fact that Warner Bros. hasn't released a trailer online a year in advance in over three years, we're likely not getting the first Dune teaser trailer until February at the earliest, if not March, or maybe even early May.

However...

- Villeneuve doing a sci-fi space epic, and a classic at that, may very well put him rarified Nolan territory in terms of marketing hype. Heck, the cast alone is enough to warrant a big, splashy announcement trailer. But 12-months-in-advance big/splashy? Who knows.

- Seeing as Villeneuve has called his Dune "Star Wars for adults," one would think that pairing the first teaser trailer with the final installment of the Skywalker Saga would make perfect sense. That said, I wonder if WB thinks it's best to let Star Wars have its day, see that cycle play out, and then start marketing in late winter/spring. I see advantages to both paths.

Anyway, you guys now know everything I know. There's plenty of speculation online that a Dune teaser trailer will debut with The Rise of Skywalker in two weeks, but I just wanted to be clear that recent evidence points otherwise. At least we'll know for sure soon...
schmendeler
AG
Quote:

Villeneuve has called his Dune "Star Wars for adults,"
spicy. i like it.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
schmendeler said:

Quote:

Villeneuve has called his Dune "Star Wars for adults,"
spicy. i like it.
it must flow
Duncan Idaho
I just hope they leave the politics out of this movie. The last thing I want to see is another Hollywood attempt to interject politics, conservation or evil white guys exploiting a local aboriginal populous over a thinly veiled analog for oil, who are ultimately stopped by a great white hope from outside the tribe.

If they stick to the source material, this will be great.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
So is your definition of conservation on Arrakis keeping it like the sandworms want or having man manipulate it with global climate change?
Duncan Idaho
since the worms/trout are an invasive species killing them and returning Arrakis back to a lush planet would be the conservation
Quad Dog
AG
I don't need a Navigator's sight to see what you did there.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
So does that make Paul, Baron Trump,
Hunter Biden, or Chelsea Clinton?

Did Princess Irulan end up claiming Freman blood? Am I ICE or border patrol?
israeliag
AG
Sarduakar said:

I'm pretty sure you're either Blackwater or Russians in Syria.
israeliag
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I just hope they leave the politics out of this movie. The last thing I want to see is another Hollywood attempt to interject politics, conservation or evil white guys exploiting a local aboriginal populous over a thinly veiled analog for oil, who are ultimately stopped by a great white hope from outside the tribe.

If they stick to the source material, this will be great.
Duncan = Redstone?!
Al Bula
AG
The Spacing Guild is the whole damn Bush clan, and Edric is George W. Bush. You know, because he controls the weather and Katrina, much like the Spacing Guild controlled the weather on Arrakis.
Duncan Idaho
Sarduakar said:

So does that make Paul, Baron Trump,
Hunter Biden, or Chelsea Clinton?

I wont say who but he was born to a sex worker to create an anchor baby
TCTTS
AG
I can't believe we still have to wait another year for this...

https://www.superherohype.com/movies/473444-oscar-isaac-praises-denis-villeneuves-unique-vision-for-dune
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

https://www.superherohype.com/movies/473444-oscar-isaac-praises-denis-villeneuves-unique-vision-for-dune
just show us some footage, for the love of god!
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

WAAAANT
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, if we get anything this week in terms of a teaser trailer, again, I would say it'd be Wednesday the 18th, exactly one year from the film's release, especially with WB now apparently releasing the Tenet trailer on Thursday (and I just can't see WB releasing both on the same day). That said, with still ZERO talk of a Dune trailer so far, I'm somewhat convinced that WB waits to debut the first footage with Birds of Prey in February at the earliest.
Al Bula
AG
If we get a trailer soon, imma be like

TCTTS
AG
Technically, we did get *a* Dune trailer this week...

TCTTS
AG

12 . 18 . 20
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Muad'dib
Chipotlemonger
AG
/bump

Any news?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.