***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,405 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I honestly didn't really care for this book all that much but I'm kind of excited about the movie.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Decay said:

I've been interested in this mostly because of Villeneuve and knowing that Dune is a cornerstone of sci-fi, but reading that pamphlet made me wonder if it really is time to read the book. I just bought it but I'm going back and forth if I'd rather see the movie or just knock this book out first. Thoughts?

I appreciate his world building and am excited to see this movie. But if this is third best selling sci fi book of all time, maybe I'm just not into sci-fi.
bobinator
AG
I LOVE sci-fi, and somehow hadn't read this for a long time and just read it either last year or the year before and my reaction was "huh... maybe I just don't get it..."
YouBet
AG
bobinator said:

I LOVE sci-fi, and somehow hadn't read this for a long time and just read it either last year or the year before and my reaction was "huh... maybe I just don't get it..."
It may be because there have been so many derivatives since then and you have been saturated with scifi over the years.? I first read it as a teenager so it was one of the first big scifi books I ever read.

I'm actually curious if I will have same reaction considering I've read a few hundred different scifi books since then.
TombstoneTex
AG
Opened this hoping to see more content about the release only to find out it's become the **** on dune thread.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Personally, I highly recommend reading the book. The breadth and depth you will build with that foundation will make for a superior viewing experience in my opinion. *

*not that I don't think Villeneuve won't knock this out of the park for cold-viewers!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
YouBet said:

Whos Juan said:

YouBet said:

It's way less complex than Game of Thrones and people got through that just fine.

Not sure why they need to do anything here.
Apples and oranges.

With GoT you had a week to look up anything you didn't understand.

2 1/2 hours in a dark theater doesn't give you that opportunity.

I could see a LOTR style prologue to help with world building and historical context.
Yes, but LOTR is also a great example. I just don't see this as any more complex than numerous other big cast/big theme movies that have come out since 1984 though.

The internal dialogue deal is a challenge. I will say I'm about to start my re-read and maybe I'll change my opinion after I get into it.

To me, though, it just feels like people have adjusted to "big" movies like this and it won't be the detriment that everyone thinks it is.

I'm not really sure. I may have never heard of the term Hobbit, but it's pretty easy from one shot to understand that they are short human like creatures. A wizard is something in the zeitgeist. Something like a Bene Gesserit is more like a Faceless Man though, where you need a lot more information to understand what exactly they are and what makes them different from normal humans. If Game of Thrones had Faceless Men ingrained everywhere throughout society like the BG's are in Dune, I think it would be just as difficult. The tv show and story allowed them to drip feed you the info over several seasons though.

And just to be clear, I'm not ****ting on the movie, just wondering what their methodology will be to ensure story specific terms aren't lost on the masses. This is the movie I'm most excited about for the rest of the year.
Chipotlemonger
AG
To take it from Dune to GoT to WoT, your post reminds me of the Gray Men in the Wheel of Time series.
Decay
AG
Interesting feedback. One thing I noticed with that Lynch glossary was how derivative most sci-fi actually is, if Dune really did originate most of that lore and usage.

I think I can appreciate that context even if the book isn't very groundbreaking in 2021. I'll give it a shot.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I mostly think this is it. And to be clear I didn't hate it or anything, I was just expecting to be blown away and came away underwhelmed.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Decay said:

Interesting feedback. One thing I noticed with that Lynch glossary was how derivative most sci-fi actually is, if Dune really did originate most of that lore and usage.

I think I can appreciate that context even if the book isn't very groundbreaking in 2021. I'll give it a shot.

I don't think you'll regret it. I read it for the first time over a decade ago, and upon a reread this past year I enjoyed it just as much if not more.
Claude!
I think you can get through some of it organically, at least at the surface level. For example, you can get the gist of the Bene Gesserit's purpose from the initial conversation between Lady Jessica and the Reverend Mother on Caliban. Some of it, though, would be impossible to get across without super exposition.
bobinator
AG
The LOTR took five minutes of a cold open with voiceover more to explain the history of middle earth, the great rings, the one ring, who Sauron is, the sword that was broken, etc, but you could do the same thing to explain some of the necessary need-to-knows for Dune.

It's not THAT complicated.
bobinator
AG
Or they could go the Star Wars/Blade Runner route and just have an opening crawl. Hell, Gladiator recapped the entire history of Rome in like 75 words.
Mathguy64
AG
Yes but they did it without using terms like Maiar or Noldor. Imagine having to explain Gandalf as some supernatural immortal being that has been around for 30,000 years and who was forced to take a physical form to combat another supernatural immortal being who lost his physical being. And you can't call them "wizards".
TCTTS
AG
Re: the exposition, people have seen the first ten minutes, at the public IMAX event a few weeks ago. Links to descriptions are provided below, but the opening is basically the opening 48 seconds of the latest trailer, expanded. Chani voice over/stage-setting/montage, leading to Paul snapping awake in bed...

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/dunes-first-10-minutes-and-zendayas-surprising-role-explained

https://www.cnet.com/news/dune-our-thoughts-on-the-first-10-minutes

https://www.polygon.com/22587087/dune-movie-zendaya-scene-imax-footage-preview

https://www.ign.com/articles/dune-opening-scene-imax-preview
Sea Speed
AG
Will thst first few minutes be released? Id assume not but I feel like they actually did put out the first few minutes of some blockbuster in the not so distant past.
TCTTS
AG
I seriously doubt it.
bobinator
AG
I'm not sure I understand your point. The whole point of the opening exposition is to simplify and explain only what people need to know to understand the story they're about to watch. If they don't need it, scrap it.
bobinator
AG
This is a Nolan IMAX thing. I'm sure some others have done it, but he put out the "prologues" of The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Dunkirk that I can think of. Maybe some others?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, but a couple of blockbusters recently have put their opening five-to-ten minutes online, officially, fairly recently. I can't remember which ones, but I think that's what he's referring to. Either way, WB almost assuredly won't be doing that with Dune...
Sea Speed
AG
Yea I was thinking it was Dunkirk. Thanks.
Mathguy64
AG
I guess what I'm trying to say was the exposition was an oversimplification of the actual background. If they had tried to tell the real background (AKA the Silmarillion) you would have been confused.

I don't think the verbiage of Dune is that bad. Or any worse than that if any science fiction based story.
bobinator
AG
I think that's always going to be the case though. A movie adaptation is almost always a simplification of the book.

But that's kind of what I'm saying, I don't think Dune is any more complicated than the LOTR. Most of the terminology you can get away with just saying that thing when it appears in the movie. Unlike the book where you're trying to help people see it, you don't have that problem in the movie.

I guess what I'm saying is that if this movie isn't good, I don't think it will be because it's particularly confusing.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bobinator said:

The LOTR took five minutes of a cold open with voiceover more to explain the history of middle earth, the great rings, the one ring, who Sauron is, the sword that was broken, etc, but you could do the same thing to explain some of the necessary need-to-knows for Dune.

Yeah, Im not saying that isn't the best way to do it. And I'm fine with it opening up like that. I'm just saying that I think there will have to be some exposition, and I'm wondering how they will tackle it in the movie.
Mathguy64
AG
I agree.
TCTTS
AG
Champ Bailey said:

bobinator said:

Yeah, Im not saying that isn't the best way to do it. And I'm fine with it opening up like that. I'm just saying that I think there will have to be some exposition, and I'm wondering how they will tackle it in the movie.

Your question has been answered in my post above.
YouBet
AG
Sea Speed said:

Will thst first few minutes be released? Id assume not but I feel like they actually did put out the first few minutes of some blockbuster in the not so distant past.
That was Tenet. And, ironically, that ended up being one of the most confusing, messy movies in the last decade.
bobinator
AG
Man no kidding. Tenet needed a little graphic that stayed at the bottom of the screen to explain where we are in the timeline and what direction we're moving.
YouBet
AG
bobinator said:

Man no kidding. Tenet needed a little graphic that stayed at the bottom of the screen to explain where we are in the timeline and what direction we're moving.
My buddy just watched this for the first time a couple of nights ago and he was texting our group throughout the movie how pissed he was watching it because it was so confusing.
schmidthead
I recently read the first book and know how the main story basically turns out. I appreciate the world-building and the fact that it isn't placed in a standard sci-fi setting. But I was turned off by some of the themes (which I won't get into here due to potential backlash). I get the counter-arguments that fans can make but it still rubbed me the wrong way.
bobinator
AG
Cmon man this is TexAgs, let it fly. If you're for committing genocide on native populations just let it out.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Yeah, gender matters. Computers suck. They can reverse climate change Religion is the main reason for conflict, and you end up worshiping a worm. Acquiring a resource is the corrupt governments main goal. Slaves are used. .....
YouBet
AG
bobinator said:

Cmon man this is TexAgs, let it fly. If you're for committing genocide on native populations just let it out.
I assumed it was going to be a water rights debate, but genocide will sometimes generate some backlash as well.
TCTTS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.