***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,127 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BigBrother said:

Spoiler Golden path discussion:

This isn't meant to be political, but I recently reread the Dune books. They're actually quite brilliant. As I understand it, Leto's Golden Path was many things, among them was a centuries-long effort to remove human patterns and apathy from the human race so we don't' render ourselves extinct.

He essentially "trapped" generations of people in a stale existence that chafed at who we are as warm-blooded animals. He didn't allow violence (except by him) and made the entire human race realize that peace was, in many respects, not what people truly wanted. They wanted good. They wanted bad. They wanted struggle. This is what gives us purpose as opposed to mere existence.

When he was killed, the human race expanded, and became more violent than ever before because of the cycles in human behavior Leto broke, right?

(Again, not trying to be political) I observe today how people are being asked to stay home, and no matter what side you're on regarding that issue, everyone seems to be seeking out the conflict. Everyone is looking for purpose and struggle, even when we could be relaxing about our homes in "peace". Many of us are really having a tough time for various reasons after 2-3 months of quarantine. Imagine the ramifications of being forcefully kept this way for a millennia?! It would definitely take an emperor to force that to happen, though I'm not sure that we'd branch out afterwards, or just be mindless drones.

Interesting. It's been so long since I read Dune my grasp of the finer details is long gone. I do have this on my reread list for this year though.
Quad Dog
AG
Nice association of the Golden Path to quarantine that I hadn't thought of before. So we are in the beginning of the Scattering right now. Leto II also performed a long term genetic experiment to produce humans and technology that couldn't be predicted by Prescience that the Spice provides. I guess that could be compared to a vaccine or people developing antibodies.
PatAg
AG
You guys are in the wrong forum.
Claude!
PatAg said:

You guys are in the wrong forum.
Disagree. The politics are being kept pretty light and limited.
claym711
AG
Finished the first book, and while quite good, Three Body Problem is head and shoulder above and is a series that has to be made some time.

To me, they cast Paul and Leto Atreides perfectly, and I bet Brolin will be great as Gurney. Hope this movie is bad ass!
TCTTS
AG

https://collider.com/dune-movie-details-greig-fraser-denis-villenueve/
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, in a non-COVID universe, this weekend was supposed to be the very last weekend the first Dune trailer could have likely debuted, with Wonder Woman 1984. But since Warner Bros. didn't stick to that window (as expected), at this point, my bet is that we don't see it until the week of July 17th with Tenet, should WB hold that date - and, of course, hold Dune's December 18th date as well, which still isn't a guarantee either.
RichardSplet
Just finished the book and loved it. Are the other ones worth reading?
Max Power
AG
So I finished book one and loved it. Started Dune Messiah and it's pretty dull so far. I was wanting to get into another series and was hoping this one might be it. If the pace doesn't pick up I might look elsewhere.
amercer
AG
claym711 said:

Finished the first book, and while quite good, Three Body Problem is head and shoulder above and is a series that has to be made some time.

To me, they cast Paul and Leto Atreides perfectly, and I bet Brolin will be great as Gurney. Hope this movie is bad ass!

I need to start the second book of The Three Body Problem. Do the sequels hold up to the original?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I read the "original" 6 novels. I put quotes because I think the original was a trilogy then he added on a few before passing, and before the subsequent books from others (his son,etc.). I enjoyed all of them, but it has been a while so I can't really remember which of the 6 I liked most outside of Dune. Here's a picture of the books on my shelf now actually. My final takeaways of the series was that I was glad to read all 6 of these.

(I'm a bit of a completionist though when it comes to this kind of stuff. Read all 5 of the 'Leatherstocking Tales' by Cooper because I wanted to read Last of the Mohicans and saw that it was a part of a larger series. I read those in story order. Interestingly, LotM was not even my favorite one out of them! Pathfinder was my favorite of the 5, but each novel had its moments.)
heddleston
AG
Book 2 may be my favorite book of the trilogy. Book 3 is fine but I didn't care for the ending.
TCTTS
AG
With Warner Bros. moving Tenet from July 17th to July 31st, and re-releasing Inception - for its 10th anniversary - in Tenet's old spot, July 17th is likely when we'll finally get our first look at Dune. Then, I imagine, the full Dune trailer will hit a couple weeks later with Tenet, should Tenet hold that date...

bearamedic99
AG
stop teasing us and just give us a damn trailer!

ANGRY NOISES
YouBet
AG
Most shocking of this is that Inception is 10 years old!? Jesus!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
My real hope is they don't dick this up by injecting any head nods to modern politics into the Dune far future galaxy
Duncan Idaho
Not sure if serious.

YouBet
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

My real hope is they don't dick this up by injecting any head nods to modern politics into the Dune far future galaxy
Dude, it's a straight political book.
Duncan Idaho
Yeah I can't think of a current political issue that isn't touched on in this book . If you are going into this looking to be triggered by politics, you should probably stay home and watch Tucker.
YouBet
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Yeah I can't think of a current political issue that isn't touched on in this book . If you are going into this looking to be triggered by politics, you should probably stay home and watch Tucker.
I was going to post stay at home and watch [leftist equivalent] just to ensure balance in the Force on this thread....but there isn't anyone on the left with equal intelligence and command of current events like Tucker.
rfvgy12
AG
Harkonen= USSR
Atredies = west/ USA
Guild=globalist
Fremen= Middle East arabs
Spice=oil
Muadib = Antichrist/13 iman
IX= Silicon Valley
ButllerIan jihad=block chain

Duh
“If one side is protesting racism, then the other side is counter protesting racism.” @thekellenmond
In response to pro Sul Ross statue protesters and fellow Aggies.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I got those connections; I mean more like the typical "progressive" ideologies and overt social messages of today (Trans, gender pronouns, etc.)

Of course I haven't started reading the books yet. But I've watched the old movie as well as the SyFy series and played the old PC game... for some reason just never got around on the book(s) yet - but on my 2020 list.
PatAg
AG
Save yourself time and just get offended now
Quad Dog
AG
This guy is going to hate the concept of the Kwisatz Haderach, Alia, Leto II, and Ghanima.
TCTTS
AG
Speculation, but falls in line with my guess as well...

Jim Rockford
RichardSplet said:

God Emperor of Dune and Dune were the two best books in the series, imo. God Emperor being my favorite. The other books didn't resonate with me.
PatAg
AG
For those looking for some reading, there is a book series called the Faded Sun Trilogy that has a somewhat similar kind of overall feel to it as Dune. I enjoyed it a lot.
Duncan Idaho
Jim Rockford said:

RichardSplet said:

God Emperor of Dune and Dune were the two best books in the series, imo. God Emperor being my favorite. The other books didn't resonate with me.

I liked all of the orginals...though some are better than others. And since he didn't finish the last book, it kind just ends.
TCTTS
AG

https://deadline.com/2020/06/denis-villeneuves-dune-hungary-additional-shooting-august-1202962612/

Jim Rockford
Duncan Idaho said:

Jim Rockford said:

RichardSplet said:

I liked all of the orginals...though some are better than others. And since he didn't finish the last book, it kind just ends.
I liked the other original books as well and they are worth reading. They just suffer in comparison to two of the best sci-fi books ever written.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I'm rereading Dune as a refresher before the movie hits and I just finished the chapter early on detailing the dinner party where the Atreides are trying to interpret the unspoken messages and subterfuge between their guests...that's the real beauty of this book and if the movie can capture that in addition to all the action then my God this will be an incredible movie.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

We're all tremendously excited about the musical possibilities of "Dune," which, last we heard, was scheduled for a December release. Where are you on that one?

Right now I'm in the middle of making these sounds. I just have these ideas, and it's like this every day. I'm doing all these experiments, and I have no idea if any of them will ever really end up in the movie. But we are so dedicated, trying to do something different, to do solid and honorable work, and do justice to the book.

It's such a great canvas for a composer so many directions you might go.

And I am. And some of them will probably be complete and utter disasters. But I'm having a go. Absolutely full on. I'm being obnoxious and telling people I need more time. The usual.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/hans-zimmer-interview-bond-dune-lion-king-ascap-awards-1234646855/
TCTTS
AG
Hans Zimmer scores coming the last three months of this year...

10.2020 - Wonder Woman 1984
11.2020 - No Time to Die
11.2020 - Hillbilly Elegy
12.2020 - Dune
12.2020 - Top Gun: Maverick
12.2020 - Harry Haft
FL_Ag1998
AG
Oh great, now this thread is going to get derailed by 3 pages of people recounting their favorite Zimmer/Williams film score.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Oh great, now this thread is going to get derailed by 3 pages of people recounting their favorite Zimmer/Williams film score.
On that note, I've been itching to post my favorites again ... nah, nevermind

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.