***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,371 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
AGinHI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, is this movie awesome or what?

I hardly post here but I rely on this forum. Y'all are the people I trust for my reviews. Sincerely. Therefore I lurk a lot.

Now, I've been monitoring this thread and I told my teenage boys everyone loves it. They're going a second time.

My 16-year-old was a little skeptical. He tells me "Don't get your hopes up dad. They loved Dunkirk."

I'm closing in on 50, didn't read the books, but I grew up with the movie and loved it. So, is this one awesome or what?

Edit: Should I just read the spoiler thread? I can't be spoiled. I just want to read what everyone thought.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Yes, it is awesome. Blows away the 1984 movie.
AGinHI
AG
TCTTS
AG
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Yes, it is awesome. Blows away the 1984 movie.

Blows it away with a weirding module?

"My name is a killing word" cringe
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
At this point I'm just hoping big time Oscar noms. That must help for the greenlight.
TCTTS
AG
If it gets the green light, which it almost assuredly will at this point, it'll likely be sooner rather than next year, when noms are announced and the awards are given out. Many movies like this usually see a sequel announced/greenlit the Monday after opening weekend, if the numbers are especially good. Dune may not do gangbusters at the box office, but maybe all WB was waiting for was to make sure it'd didn't completely bomb, which it won't at this point. So hopefully we get that announcement in the next few days, which could also serve as an added bit of "marketing" going into next week/weekend.
wangus12
AG
It's make the 84 film look like it was made by a bunch of rejects in a garage
brew82
Just watched it. Wow, it was good. Is it fair to say it is Lord of the Rings good?
PatAg
AG
AGinHI said:

So, is this movie awesome or what?

I hardly post here but I rely on this forum. Y'all are the people I trust for my reviews. Sincerely. Therefore I lurk a lot.

Now, I've been monitoring this thread and I told my teenage boys everyone loves it. They're going a second time.

My 16-year-old was a little skeptical. He tells me "Don't get your hopes up dad. They loved Dunkirk."

I'm closing in on 50, didn't read the books, but I grew up with the movie and loved it. So, is this one awesome or what?

Edit: Should I just read the spoiler thread? I can't be spoiled. I just want to read what everyone thought.
I coudl see a 16 year old not really enjoying Dunkirk.

THis movie, at the very least, has awesome fight scenes and action shots, really cool looking airships and fighter jet type machines. In addition to everything else that makes a good movie.
TCTTS
AG
Not that it matters as much now, but I'm still holding out hope that the tracking is somehow way off on this one…

PatAg
AG
I think it's a perfect movie to get the word of mouth crowd over the weekend. It's actually good, and people will enthusiastically talk about it.
canadiaggie
AG
I think even casual movie goers would really like this movie. My fiancee is the Lord of the Casuals (MCU and terrible rom-com fan) and even she walked enthusing about how different but enjoyable it was.

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
birdman
I just got out of theatre. It was loud enough to give me a headache. Also a very long movie.

And it was awesome. The cast was perfect.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Id like to watch him break down his thought process, and then reflections on what they were able to achieve, for the whole movie.
StinkyPinky
AG
canadiaggie said:

I think even casual movie goers would really like this movie. My fiancee is the Lord of the Casuals (MCU and terrible rom-com fan) and even she walked enthusing about how different but enjoyable it was.

Just read some comments on HBO Max site about the movie and was a mixed bag. The people who knew what they were watching liked it, the people who went in cold had similar reaction as there was in 1984…..'boring', 'confusing', 'fell
Asleep', 'don't waste you're time'.
A is A
AG
Bonzer103 said:

canadiaggie said:

Just read some comments on HBO Max site about the movie and was a mixed bag. The people who knew what they were watching liked it, the people who went in cold had similar reaction as there was in 1984…..'boring', 'confusing', 'fell
I have little worry about what people that watched this on HBO Max say. its a Epic Saga that should be watched on the big screen.
powerbelly
AG
A is A said:

Bonzer103 said:

canadiaggie said:

I have little worry about what people that watched this on HBO Max say. its a Epic Saga that should be watched on the big screen.

If the story is so weak it has to be seen on a big screen then it isn't a good movie.
YouBet
AG
Waited 5 years for this. I had the best tickets you can get for the Cinemark 17 IMAX here in Dallas last night as I was the first person to literally buy tickets for it. Couldn't go and gave my tickets to friends.

Threw my back out so I'm just trying to heal quickly enough that I can still catch it at IMAX before it leaves.
Duncan Idaho
In the world where the sequel is never made: I think this movie requires the grandeur of seeing in iMax, so you can be in awe of what you saw, it's potential as a fully realized story, but remain pissed that it was never allowed to be completed.

In the world where a sequel is made, seeing it at home might be good enough.

The problem is we are at least 2 years from a sequel

wangus12
AG
powerbelly said:

A is A said:

Bonzer103 said:

canadiaggie said:

If the story is so weak it has to be seen on a big screen then it isn't a good movie.

I don't think that's it. I think being in a movie theater adds to the experience and is more engaging. In a theater, etiquette typically dictates people don't get up or look at their phones or any other distractions. At home people have literally everything at their disposal to distract them. I know even watching movies that I love I'll start doing other things at home without thinking about it.
TombstoneTex
AG
YouBet said:

Waited 5 years for this. I had the best tickets you can get for the Cinemark 17 IMAX here in Dallas last night as I was the first person to literally buy tickets for it. Couldn't go and gave my tickets to friends.

Threw my back out so I'm just trying to heal quickly enough that I can still catch it at IMAX before it leaves.

I had to leave after 30 minutes - an old injury acted up. It's frustrating as hell. Get well soon.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Bonzer103 said:

canadiaggie said:

I mean, this is rotten tomatoes, so I place about as much stock in it as an HBO max review, but they are at 83% critics, 92% audience. 8.3 on IMDB.

Now those people probably were more likely to see this in theaters compared to people posting on HBO Max's review site, but I also think it's not completely fair to judge a movie by how you liked it at home, when up to 6-12 months ago, literally not one movie has ever been judged this way.

I get what you are saying, but someone watching it on their 32" TCL is not going to feel the same impact of any movie compared to someone watching it in a theater.
BoydCrowder13
I don't think it will make Fast and Furious money (which is sad but it is what it is) but it looks like it will do well enough for a sequel.

Awesome to watch in IMAX. As a sci fi fan, I loved it. Great cast, amazing visuals, Hans Zimmer. Pretty much a perfect Part 1.
Joe Boudain
The next books will be hard to sequelize as they skew so philosophical and esoteric
TCTTS
AG
Currently outperforming the latest tracking numbers…

YouBet
AG
HYC_AG said:

YouBet said:

I had to leave after 30 minutes - an old injury acted up. It's frustrating as hell. Get well soon.
Bummer, man! Back pain is the worst.
Sea Speed
AG
YouBet said:

Get some pain pills and have your old lady wheel your ass to the theater.
YouBet
AG
Sea Speed said:

YouBet said:

I got some late yesterday. Different man today. Wasn't the pain pills though that did it - muscle relaxers and steroids. If I had these one day earlier I would have been there last night.
Sea Speed
AG
It really is. I've got crazy lingering issues but stopped getting a prescription for the pain a few years back. I've had injections and PT and everything, but I just deal with it now. I assume one day it will require surgery.
YouBet
AG
Sea Speed said:

It really is. I've got crazy lingering issues but stopped getting a prescription for the pain a few years back. I've had injections and PT and everything, but I just deal with it now. I assume one day it will require surgery.
Probably. Ive had back pain my entire life since puberty. Lived with it. Got surgery two years and had a glorious two years of zero back pain. First time pain free since around 12.

But I did something about 3 weeks ago to mess it up again. Just hoping it's not disc.
The Dog Lord
AG
Just got back. ****ing amazing. Other feedback:

• Aspect ratio did change for us several times. Some sites said Palladium in SA is true iMAX, but I did notice in the shot of Rabban looking out at the ships, that a bit of the image wasn't shown compared to what I've seen posted in articles.
  • I know it was 11:30 AM, but I was still expecting the theatre to be packed on opening weekend. It was pretty full, especially in the best seats but definitely not packed.
  • I wish the trailers hadn't used things like Duncan's little joke and making it seem as if Duncan would die. Would have been better to leave more of that to the film itself.
Wife was actually more excited than me to see it because the 84 version was special for her family. She still thinks it was really good overall but admitted to being somewhat disappointed for the below reasons:
  • She was hoping to see things like Paul riding a worm, the larger battle that is just a vision of Paul's, etc. in part I. I let her know that kind of stuff should be in part II. Some of those expectations were related to the 84 version and others were because of the trailers.
  • She didn't read the books but knows some of the backstory, but she still wishes they had discussed more about the Bene Gesserit, the Great Houses/Empire, and other things. She also wishes there had been more with Leto and Duncan to make those scenes even more impactful.

She is still ready to watch it again though and thinks seeing it several more times will help her let go of the 84 version (which she should do anyway IMO) and get into this being the true Dune story.
Joe Boudain
Sea Speed said:

YouBet said:

What if she gives him one of the blue pills

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.