***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,383 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dune really is being heavily advertised during the MNF game tonight. First time I've seen a true media blitz for the movie on this stage. Tells me WB is swinging for the fences, and seemingly wants to justify a sequel as much as we do.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YouBet said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

C@LAg said:

Unlike a Marvel movie or the big action blockbusters, this is not the kind of movie that you feed off audience energy and enthusiasm throughout the movie.

Huh? What about the giant screen and sound system?

Nothing will ever beat IMAX when it comes to big, epic sci-fi such as this.
I'm guessing his point being this is a much more cerebral than a big Marvel action movie.

I want to see it on IMAX primarily because I know it's going to have epic cinematography based on who the director is.

Sure but being more cerebral doesn't negate the rest. I mean I saw both Dunkirk and 1917 in an IMAX theater and I know that the experience wouldn't have been 1/4 as good at home.

(Directed towards C@)
Sea Speed
AG
TCTTS said:

I think my point here is getting lost. I totally get that the industry/viewing habits are in the midst of a seismic shift, and I'm not really arguing against change or whatever's coming. I'm simply saying, instead of being a proud assh*le that you don't go to the movie theater, have some awareness/humility that people are losing their jobs, not every theater is going to make it, movies may get worse because of it, etc. That's really my only point here, as C@LAg has a habit of needing everyone to know he doesn't go to movie theaters, and seemingly dislikes anyone expressing enjoyment for the theatrical experience.
you got all that from this?

Quote:

Lok forward to watching it from home.
TCTTS
AG
Like I said, it wasn't just that one post.
Al Bula
AG
Who? Who doesn't want to watch Dune in imax?!

SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Was just coming here to post it. Anything to get people in theaters, I guess (and thus, a sequel), even if that means awkward tie-ins during one of the biggest Monday Night Football games of the season…

They had to be thinking... you want me to wear, say, and do... what??? Freaking nerds
PatAg
AG
YouBet said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

C@LAg said:

Unlike a Marvel movie or the big action blockbusters, this is not the kind of movie that you feed off audience energy and enthusiasm throughout the movie.

Huh? What about the giant screen and sound system?

Nothing will ever beat IMAX when it comes to big, epic sci-fi such as this.
I'm guessing his point being this is a much more cerebral than a big Marvel action movie.

I want to see it on IMAX primarily because I know it's going to have epic cinematography based on who the director is.
bingo
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Some people just like being contrary online, no reasoning with them.
AliasMan02
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

No they don't. You couldn't be any more wrong about this.
TCTTS
AG
You literally get more movie in IMAX…

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
How much did Dune cost to make, any idea? That cast couldn't have been cheap.
TCTTS
AG
Apparently $165M.
Belton Ag
AG
tv1113 said:

They are overestimating how many true cinema people enjoy going to the theater.

I personally am fine chilling at home and I know millennials/gen z are more likely to do the same. I only ever go to the movies when a friend asks me.
So, username checks out.
Duncan Idaho
Well that is it. I am getting my booster this weekend.
Decay
AG
Wonder what our first billion dollar movie will be?
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Can't you just make a copy of yourself if something happens
wangus12
AG
Is this one where I need to trek down to the true IMAX (70mm) screen in Dallas or will any IMAX do?
wangus12
AG
Decay said:

Avengers IX when they bring back all the original team + whatever they do between then and now
Duncan Idaho
AgStuckinLBK said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Can't you just make a copy of yourself if something happens

I'd have to die first. Learn the difference between a ghola and a clone

You filthy casual
Sea Speed
AG
Decay said:

Probably a transformers/fast and the furious Mashup starring tom cruise, leo and Clooney made with Chinese money.
TombstoneTex
AG
wangus12 said:

Is this one where I need to trek down to the true IMAX (70mm) screen in Dallas or will any IMAX do?

This is a good question. Anyone know?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
When in doubt... choose the most selective theater?
YouBet
AG
HYC_AG said:

wangus12 said:

I don't know but for clarification I assume y'all are talking about Cinemark 17 at Webb Chapel, yes? My recent research shows me that is the only 70mm screen in DFW.
The Collective
AG
I think putting this on HBO Max is probably a mistake. A lot of people are lazy (me included). I'll probably just watch it there and call it a day.
Duncan Idaho
There is also one in ft worth at the science museum and I think there is one in fair park.

Not sure if they are showing dune. Bit they have shown theatrical released before
The Collective
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

There is also one in ft worth at the science museum and I think there is one in fair park.

Not sure if they are showing dune. Bit they have shown theatrical released before

The Fort Worth Omni is closed for renos right now. It is supposed to be open in the fall, but I haven't seen a date yet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

With that username, it'd be surprised/disappointed if you WEREN'T at a theater for this.
PDWT_12
AG
It blew my mind to discover how many IMAX theaters aren't really IMAX screens. But still... I don't really care. My local AMC is one of the worst offenders in the world, but it's still the biggest screen in town, and it's the one I'll be watching Dune on.
YouBet
AG
PDWT_12 said:

It blew my mind to discover how many IMAX theaters aren't really IMAX screens. But still... I don't really care. My local AMC is one of the worst offenders in the world, but it's still the biggest screen in town, and it's the one I'll be watching Dune on.

Definitely a lot of LieMAX out there. I don't remember why theaters are allowed to lie about that. I guess IMAX sold rights to let people say it when it's not true.
TCTTS
AG
I think it's a "fine print" kind of thing. I know most of the LieMAX screens used to be officially labeled as (and maybe still are) "an IMAX experience." Not simply "IMAX." So that might be one way to tell. Another way is that true IMAX screens are considerably bigger than "IMAX experience" screens. Basically, if you're in the theater, looking at the screen, and you're wondering, "Is this IMAX?"... it's "an IMAX experience," not true IMAX. Otherwise, true IMAX is unmistakable. (That said, the point is obviously moot when trying to buy tickets online, and you can't see the theater for itself.)
powerbelly
AG
YouBet said:

PDWT_12 said:

Definitely a lot of LieMAX out there. I don't remember why theaters are allowed to lie about that. I guess IMAX sold rights to let people say it when it's not true.
IMAX made decision to have IMAX-lite theaters to increase their market penetration.
Claude!
AliasMan02 said:

PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

No they don't. You couldn't be any more wrong about this.
I'm not sure how, but I disagree with both of you.
wangus12
AG
YouBet said:

HYC_AG said:

wangus12 said:

I don't know but for clarification I assume y'all are talking about Cinemark 17 at Webb Chapel, yes? My recent research shows me that is the only 70mm screen in DFW.

Yeah Cinemark 17 in Dallas. When it's made for IMAX, that's where I go.
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

I think my point here is getting lost. I totally get that the industry/viewing habits are in the midst of a seismic shift, and I'm not really arguing against change or whatever's coming. I'm simply saying, instead of being a proud assh*le that you don't go to the movie theater, have some awareness/humility that people are losing their jobs, not every theater is going to make it, movies may get worse because of it, etc. That's really my only point here, as C@LAg has a habit of needing everyone to know he doesn't go to movie theaters, and seemingly dislikes anyone expressing enjoyment for the theatrical experience.
wah wah wah . and TCTTS has to let everyone know his movie viewing schedule, and the exact theater in downtown LA that he goes to for almost every single blockbuster movie.

Practice some of the humility you preach about.

if you are so free to make your viewing commentary public on as frequent a basis as you do, everyone else can as well.

at least I was making a comment on topic instead of attacking another poster for their preferences , which you seem so ready and willing to do on a constant basis.
TCTTS
AG
So when everyone else here mentions the exact theaters they bought tickets for, saw movies in, etc it's fine, and something that happens all the damn time. But when I join in and do the same, it's bragging/not being humble. Hahaha, got it.

I'm sorry that a number of us here like the theatrical experience, and like taking about our individual experiences form time to time. Personally, I love hearing from other people what the audience was like, what the theater conditions were, if notable, and I sometimes share my experiences in kind. And sometimes those experiences involve unique outings or a celebrity sighting or two. Mentioning those things from time to time on an entertainment message board doesn't make one pompous or egotistic.

Regardless, it's really, really weird how much all of this seems to annoy you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.