***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,396 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finished the book this last weekend and promptly finished Dune Messiah as well. All thanks to this thread and the main trailer. Now I'm debating if I want to read children of Dune, because I liked where Messiah left off. thoughts?
Chipotlemonger
AG
hunter2012 said:

Finished the book this last weekend and promptly finished Dune Messiah as well. All thanks to this thread and the main trailer. Now I'm debating if I want to read children of Dune, because I liked where Messiah left off. thoughts?
I just finished a Dune reread and it has me wanting to reread all of the original 5 or whatever they are. Others with a sharper memory of them may chime in with better advice but I say go for it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Children of Dune is good.

I started reading #4 but had some other easing I had to do... I will pick it back up after my current series.
AliasMan02
AG
Lots of conflicting reports today about whether or not Dune will get a theatrical release window. But in that is a lot of buzz that Dune Part 2 is basically a no-go. Would be tragic.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They seem to be going back and forth on whether HBO Max will be a simultaneous release, but where are you seeing anything about Dune 2?

Seems unlikely to be real. That would be entirely dependent on how it does at the box office.
TCTTS
AG
I have it on good authority (friend who knows Denis Villeneuve personally) that Villeneuve is pissed at WB - same as Nolan - for the whole HBO Max day-and-date thing, to the point of wanting to leave the studio completely. That said, I was told that a couple weeks ago, before the new Discovery deal was announced this past weekend (AT&T unwound their WB ownership, and WB is now merging with Discovery, free of AT&T). So, seeing as WB will soon be under new leadership, I'm betting the new heads do everything they can to make things right with Villeneuve/Nolan. Either way, the reason for all the conflicting reports as of late is because of the uncertainty and confusion with the ownership change.
AliasMan02
AG
Yeah I assumed if it didn't happen at this point it would because DV was pissed about now working for the "worst streaming service" and Nolan said. These guys don't make massive blockbuster movies to stream in your living room.
PatAg
AG
October is too ****ing far away
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Yeah I assumed if it didn't happen at this point it would because DV was pissed about now working for the "worst streaming service" and Nolan said. These guys don't make massive blockbuster movies to stream in your living room.

I get why he's mad, but IMO, HBOMax is head and shoulders above Netflix as far as the new content they are putting on there and the existing content they have. I know the new movies they have released so far have all been so-so to terrible, but is that really any different than anything Netflix is putting out?

My main issue with HBO is that the app seems to be more bug-prone than the rest of its competitors.
TCTTS
AG
hunter2012
AG
I look forward to continuing the book series when my audible recharges in July.
TriAg2010
AG
hunter2012 said:

The whole novel is great, but the first book of Dune is particularly amazing. The characters, universe, and plot are developed at breakneck speed. Every page is a major revelation. Just outstanding writing.
TCTTS
AG
Almost assuredly when we'll get the first reactions...

TCTTS
AG
bearamedic99
AG
TCTTS said:

/michaelscott gif yelling, no! God! why?
TCTTS
AG
I assume it's to move away from No Time to Die, which hits October 8. At least it's only a three-week delay this time.
schmidthead
I'm tempted to not see this due to the potential lack of a sequel (and the loss of Denis as director). I realize my logic is a bit circular here but that's where I currently stand.
Mathguy64
AG
If they don't 100% plan the second half to be filmed they should not have bothered with the first.
AliasMan02
AG
Mathguy64 said:

If they don't 100% plan the second half to be filmed they should have bothered with the first.

If they intend to continue going straight to streaming, they'll lose everyone involved who is isn't in an absolutely ironclad contract.

But it kinda sounds like, weirdly, the Discovery merger may have saved it?

I don't know, the whole thing is weird.
wangus12
AG
I'm hoping Black Widow brings some sort of big return of box office numbers to where films get back to being only released in theaters regardless of the dumb streaming contract
TCTTS
AG
Might be something, might be nothing... but a writer we're working with is friends with Villeneuve, we just finished the pilot script for the project we've been working on, and we reached out to Villeneuve to gage his availability/interest. Just heard back from him, and while he said it's "an absolute gem of a project" (which was cool to hear, coming from him), he let us know that, unfortunately, his "plate is full for a few years." So, one would think that if he had, in fact, unexpectedly left the Dune franchise/Warner Bros, his schedule would be a bit more up in the air, and not so set in stone. So maybe the Discovery deal/new management really did smooth things over, but who knows.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
schmidthead
Exactly
Sea Speed
AG
Whoa having a free special preview screening at an imax is really cool actually. I won't be able to go but that is interesting enough for me to post on this thread about this film/book I know absolutely nothing about. Sometimes marketing really interests me.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Have they started filming Dune II which I assume picks up from proclamation of Paul as Muad'dib to seating Paul on the Throne with his "wife"
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
Well, guess I missed or completely forgot that Skarsgard was cast for Baron. What a damn phenomenal all around cast. I have high hopes for this.
Sea Speed
AG
Yall reckon this will be good even if you have no knowledge of the story? The only thing I know about dune is there used to be a hardcore band named after the worm Shai Hulud
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Seriously, though, these character posters are awesome.
hunter2012
AG
TCTTS said:

Just based on the posters I'd say they got the casting down for appearances, though I can't say I have too many doubts from what I've heard.
TCTTS
AG
Super high resolution versions...

YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Seriously, though, these character posters are awesome.
We just finished Endgame last night with our MCU rewatch and they kind of remind me of the final credits of the main characters in Endgame.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.