***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,397 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So there is still, indeed, an embargo, but the two I posted chose to break it. That said, there's a second Venice screening happening as we speak, and it sounds like the embargo will be lifted at some point relatively soon after it ends, in a matter of hours. I'm headed to bed, and the bulk of the reactions will likely drop before I get up, but when I do I'll post what I can find.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The Guild will ask the Emperor to send in the Sardaukar to break the embargo.

The reviews must flow.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Buy or Sell: Dune is going to be so good, that Paul Atreides will pre-save the human race in 2021 from Covid hysteria by getting people to forget their fears and "risk" the theaters. 5,000 years before he is born.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
This is getting ridiculous

TCTTS
AG
Anxious to hear from "regular" critics once the embargo drops.
Sea Speed
AG
TCTTS said:

I like this tweet. When I follow these threads for major releases I feel like more often than not q lot of these critics are prone to hyperbole.
Sea Speed
AG
TCTTS said:

So there is still, indeed, an embargo, but the two I posted chose to break it.

What does this mean for their careers?
TCTTS
AG
Sea Speed said:

TCTTS said:

For a normal, everyday critic going to a normal, everyday critic screening, it would just mean that particular studio wouldn't ever invite them to a screening again. So if a critic then can't see movies from that studio in advance, it would certainly hinder their job, and thus, their likelihood of being fired would increase.

That said, some of these people breaking the embargo may not even be critics (just regular attendees of the festival), and it's super rare for a studio to embargo a public premiere. That almost never happens. So there may not be any repercussions in this case, for a variety of reasons. And Warner Bros themselves even retweeted that Hollywood Reporter tweet above just now, so they obviously don't really give a sh* in this instance.
Mathguy64
AG
Sea Speed said:

TCTTS said:

I expect that Baron Harkonnen with be sending The Beast Rabban for a quiet word.
Sea Speed
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Thanks for posting all of these .
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

The spice must flow.

God I hope this is as good as it can be
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

the first half of "Song of the Sisters" is hideous so far... sounds like screeching nuns reeeeing to house music... but I suppose that's intended based on the Bene Gesserit fro mthe books.

"I see you in my dreams" is placid, serene, and exotic. I like it so far. NICE vocals on the female voice. Some soft "Tron" vibes in the background.

My brother is into film scores more than I, he described Hans as "hit or miss for me... he doesn't write music so much as he soundscapes... sometimes it works... sometimes it is just too simple and obvious. And way too much 'bwah bwah'..."
YNWA_AG
AG
wangus12
AG
YNWA_AG said:

I expect nothing less from an Indie review
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Moved comments to spoiler thread:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3216729

I believe it was requested that one be made for the movie spoilers, so it was done and now bumped.
YNWA_AG
AG

TCTTS
AG
YNWA_AG said:

I tend to agree with David on a lot of smaller, indie Oscar bait, but I almost never agree with him when it comes to blockbusters. In fact, he's one of the biggest curmudgeons ever when it comes to blockbuster, and has been for years and years. That doesn't mean he may not have some valid points here, but overall I'm not too worried.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Duncan Idaho
Shutupandtakemymoney.jpg
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I'm discovering a trend among the few negative reviews.

This moron, in particular, calls Blade Runner 2049 "thin" while saying Arrival "groans under the tremendous onus of his construction." Yet these are two of my favorite sci-fi films of all time, especially Arrival, which is one of my favorite films of all time, period.

TCTTS
AG
And for the record, I hate it when people sh*t on critics for not liking the same things they like, or get weirdly emotional or threatened in needing everyone else to share their enthusiasm for something. But in these particular instances it really does feel like legit pretentiousness and a complete disconnect.
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.