***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,413 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hopefully they just make these 2 movies for Dune and call it after that.
Chipotlemonger
AG
PatAg said:

Why? If this first one is as great as it can be, give me more of this universe and story!
PatAg
AG
I have read the other books, I don't find them to be anywhere near the same level. Just my opinion.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Fair enough. I've read the other originals as well and remember liking them fairly well! To each their own.
AliasMan02
AG
PatAg said:

Dune Messiah is still pretty good, even if a massive step down. It also completes some arcs that would be REALLY satisfying on the big screen.

I'd go so far to say that fans of Dune based on two Dune movies would feel betrayed if showed a Children of Dune movie. The headlines would all just be variations of "WTF did I just watch?"
BenFiasco14
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Fair enough. I've read the other originals as well and remember liking them fairly well! To each their own.

I didn't even realize until recently Herberts son wrote two more after the original 6. Wonder how bad they are
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
YouBet
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

I didn't even realize until recently Herberts son wrote two more after the original 6. Wonder how bad they are
There are multiple prequels. I've read them all. Most people hate them and won't claim them. I thought they were fine; nothing special.
AliasMan02
AG
YouBet said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

There are multiple prequels. I've read them all. Most people hate them and won't claim them. I thought they were fine; nothing special.

That's pretty much Kevin J Anderson's MO.

I read House Atreides and it was just what you'd expect from a prequel written by a third party. Feels it necessary to try and fill in every detail mentioned anywhere in the original works, rather than embracing that the history is long and complex and doesn't all fit into one prequel novel.
PatAg
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

It's also possible I could just be confusing where they stopped being good, and that some of the next few books were still good.
TombstoneTex
AG
PatAg said:

Chipotlemonger said:

It's also possible I could just be confusing where they stopped being good, and that some of the next few books were still good.

The most common cut off I've heard is that they stop being good after book 3. I'm halfway through the third book and thoroughly enjoying myself.
Quad Dog
AG
Book 4, God Emperor of Dune is very different. It is definitely love it or hate it type thing. A lot more philosophical and thought provoking than action.
I always say that if you want to fully understand the Golden Path and what Paul was so scared of, then you have to read God Emperor.
The fifth and sixth books are a pretty different story and focus more on different character farther into the future dealing with the outcomes of book 4. Both good, but pretty different from the first 4.
PatAg
AG
HYC_AG said:

PatAg said:

Chipotlemonger said:

The most common cut off I've heard is that they stop being good after book 3. I'm halfway through the third book and thoroughly enjoying myself.
I read them all, but Dune is the only one I read more than once (a lot more than once)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
In the biggest upset in human history, my wife saw this trailer with me yesterday while we watched Free Guy and said, "That looks interesting, I think I'd like to see that."

Pretty sure it's mostly because of the presence of Khal Drogo, but I was still stunned.
Rocagnante
AG
That may be the only way I could drag my wife to see it as well. Mamoa.

Smart casting.
TCTTS
AG
A decent amount of new footage, dialogue, and music in these IGN character spots, which have been edited together into two videos. Despite the Instagram cropping and the motion smoothing (which drives me insane) created the person who made these, everything about this movie continues to look more and more incredible...

Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm out. Want to be fresh for the movie even though I've already read the books. Don't want small snippets affecting my judgement later on.
Al Bula
AG
Gotta admit I'm conflicted about this.

So looking forward to watching at home on hbomax, but know I'll be bummed out by the now-standard approach of making multiple movies when one long movie would suffice.

I guess that just comes with most cretins needing bite size chunks of pizzazz for their small brains and hollyweird's penchant for wringing as much money from willful dummies as they can. But we are a capitalist country (mostly) so I can't fault the movie makers for it.

Nothing - in my mind - can stand up to the Frank Herbert novel. If I am wrong I will freely admit it after viewing.
TCTTS
AG
TombstoneTex
AG
The movie is already going to be 2 1/2 hours covering half the book. How long would you be willing to sit for the whole thing?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The first extended taste of Bardem as Stilgar. I have to admit I'm looking forward to him the most.

Was 50-50 on Brolin at first as Gurney, but wow, that commercial made an impact. Although it's fun to close your eyes and hear Poe Dameron tell Thanos to smile.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Wow, quite a bit of stuff in there. Lots of shots from space, Jessica and Paul in the desert after the YOU KNOW WHAT UNLESS YOU'RE TC, and Paul uttering the first half of the book's most well known line.
BenFiasco14
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I'm out. Want to be fresh for the movie even though I've already read the books. Don't want small snippets affecting my judgement later on.

Same here. Will follow the thread for anything interesting but I'm done watching trailers, clips, and interviews.

All I know is we will be seeing this in IMAX and my body is sooo ready
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
TCTTS
AG
Haven't read this yet, but it looks like a great deep dive...

TCTTS
AG
Wells is weird as hell, but I guess this counts as one of the first reviews. Or two, rather, since Thompson just put it at the top of her Best Picture front-runner list after having seen it, while weird-ass-Wells' buddy wasn't as big of a fan...

https://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2021/08/gotta-get-outta-this-place/
TCTTS
AG
That said, Dune finally screens for the public next Friday - a little over a week from now - at the Venice Film Festival. So we'll soon have a sense of where it truly stands.
YouBet
AG
I started my first re-read of Dune last night ahead of the movie. Originally read it 30+ years ago so it's like new to me again.
TCTTS
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

You idiot, you're going to spoil the movie for TCTTS!
TCTTS
AG
F/ck that guy.
Claude!
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

TCTTS said:

Turns out she wanted to make a coat out of Fremen.
hunter2012
AG
Claude! said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

TCTTS said:

Turns out she wanted to make a coat out of Fremen.
Between the clip and the climax spoiler, way to ruin it for all the illiterates out there ya jerk.
Quad Dog
AG
Children of Dune Spoiler:
A coat out of Sandworms would have been a better reference, but technically a spoiler for the third book
AgLaw
AG
YouBet said:

I started my first re-read of Dune last night ahead of the movie. Originally read it 30+ years ago so it's like new to me again.
I have never read any of the Dune franchise and started it last week. Such a great story, and you can see how influential it has been on sci fi over the past 50 years (film and literature) - from Star Wars to Brandon Sanderson.

Maybe the most influential sci fi book of all time?
YouBet
AG
AgLaw said:

YouBet said:

I have never read any of the Dune franchise and started it last week. Such a great story, and you can see how influential it has been on sci fi over the past 50 years (film and literature) - from Star Wars to Brandon Sanderson.

Maybe the most influential sci fi book of all time?
Absolutely.
TombstoneTex
AG
I'm seriously considering hibernation until 10/22. This is a much better poster than the floating heads. I'm hyped.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.