***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,364 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
Quad Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's also an age jump for Paul in the books that might be a better split for the movies that comes a little after "going on the run"
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

The book is kind of naturally divided into 2 parts - part one, without giving away spoilers, is simply put, before Paul goes on the run and part 2 is after Paul goes on the run. And the book is definitely long enough to be split into two parts to do it service.

It just sucks that they're not showing a sand warm at all in the 1st part because there is at least one scene in the book that introduces you to the sand worms before Paul goes on the run and I think that would have been a nice scene in the movie.

I'm currently re-reading Dune for the first time since high school (1984). There is a pretty early sequence when Duke Atreides is flying in an ornithopter with Gurney and his son Paul to take a look at spice mining operations on Arrakis, and one of those mobile mining platforms is consumed by a worm. I would have expected at least that scene to be in the first movie.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Quad Dog said:

There's also an age jump for Paul in the books that might be a better split for the movies that comes a little after "going on the run"

Yeah, that's more or less what I was referring to. I'm rereading it for the first time in forever and I'm almost to that point.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

The book is kind of naturally divided into 2 parts - part one, without giving away spoilers, is simply put, before Paul goes on the run and part 2 is after Paul goes on the run. And the book is definitely long enough to be split into two parts to do it service.

It just sucks that they're not showing a sand warm at all in the 1st part because there is at least one scene in the book that introduces you to the sand worms before Paul goes on the run and I think that would have been a nice scene in the movie.

Agreed. I'll bet they show the worm sign and hint at how huge this "grandfather worm" is during that scene without "showing" it fully.
Duncan Idaho
I don't see how you have the first movie without having the worm sign and the thopter scene.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Agreed. I'll bet they show the worm sign and hint at how huge this "grandfather worm" is during that scene without "showing" it fully.
Bet we see the wormsign and then Paul's and the thoptors reaction to the worm, but don't show the worm.
AliasMan02
AG
I think you'll see the sand whirlpool and a glimpse of the maw but that's it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Yep, can't wait... I want to know how they're doing the spice afflicted blue eyes as well... contacts or CGI?

AliasMan02
AG
CGI, I bet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I feel like contacts would be way cheaper.
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I feel like contacts would be way cheaper.

I was actually thinking the opposite.
TexAgBolter
AG
Ok. But when is the trailer coming?
TCTTS
AG
TexAgBolter said:

Ok. But when is the trailer coming?

Still coming at some point this month...

I'd say as early as this week, in the lead-up to DC's FanDome this coming weekend (which is also from Warner Bros., so maybe they just make this "WB week" in terms of trailers and exclusive first looks), and as late as the 26th, which is the day Tenet opens internationally, which the trailer will no doubt be attached to. In other words... sometime in the next ten days, most likely.
TCTTS
AG

https://trailer-track.com/2020/08/19/in-the-pipeline-the-dune-trailer-is-done-it-exists-its-rated-its-ready-and-its-coming-for-real-this-time/

Quote:

We expect the trailer to finally arrive online some time in the next 7 days, if not any day now: the first public screenings of begin in Australia, New Zealand and Sweden this Saturday, with the wider international release on August 26. The trailer being rated now, though this is specilation on our part, could also mean it might end up playing with the Inception re-release in the U.S. from this Friday, August 21. However, with a succession of new looks at Tenet and WonderWoman 1984 (and more from DC FanDome) due to land this Friday and Saturday respectively, we probably wouldn't expect it this weekend specifically.
TCTTS
AG
In agreement that it likely won't hit this weekend, with all of Warner Bros.' focus being on DC FamDome. So I'm guessing either tomorrow (the 20th) or Tuesday (the 25th). If I absolutely had to put on money it, I'd say tomorrow makes the most sense. So stoked either way. Finally!
schmendeler
AG
HalifaxAg
AG
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Al Bula
AG
HalifaxAg said:

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
thank you. I never have a legit excuse to use this gif.

TexAgBolter
AG
?fit=bounds&width=640&height=480
The new Piter
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

In agreement that it likely won't hit this weekend, with all of Warner Bros.' focus being on DC FamDome. So I'm guessing either tomorrow (the 20th) or Tuesday (the 25th). If I absolutely had to put on money it, I'd say tomorrow makes the most sense. So stoked either way. Finally!

Unfortunately, if it was hitting today, it'd probably be out by now. So we're almost assuredly looking at the first half of next week now...
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

TCTTS said:

Unfortunately, if it was hitting today, it'd probably be out by now. So we're almost assuredly looking at the first half of next week now...
i want a refund for my subscription to your newsletter
TCTTS
AG
Which, knowing Nolan, is exactly what will happen.
TCTTS
AG
So Warner Bros has gone all out and released new trailers for Tenet, Wonder Woman 1984, The Suicide Squad, and The Batman in the past 24 hours. But now, with DC FanDome out of the way... it's Dune time. Maybe tomorrow. More likely Monday or Tuesday, though. Either way, we're close, and I cannot wait.
TCTTS
AG
In honor of this week, I finally ordered and received this hardcover. I might read a couple chapters before the movie, otherwise I'm waiting until after...

schmendeler
AG
I think that might help with familiarity when watching the movie.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Once you start you'll finish it in a weekend; I'm a SLOW reader and it took me 3 days
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Just remember you must not fear reading that book. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. You will face your fear and read it. You will permit it to pass over you and through you. And when it has gone past you will turn your inner eye to see the path to finishing it. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only the book will remain.
schmendeler
AG
Desert Power
AG
TCTTS said:

In honor of this week, I finally ordered and received this hardcover. I might read a couple chapters before the movie, otherwise I'm waiting until after...

That's a nice hard copy! Where did you end up purchasing that from?
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Would be interested in reading Gaiman's thoughts on this. I do not own a hardback of this but need to get one.
TCTTS
AG
ONE-TWO-- said:

TCTTS said:

Click on the hardcover version...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143111582/
Duncan Idaho
ONE-TWO-- said:

TCTTS said:

I envy you being able to read it for the first time.
Claude!
Just finished a Lord of the Rings re-read. Maybe it's time to head back to Arrakis.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.