***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,359 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm about 45% through my reread. I'm fascinated to see how some of this gets interpreted to the screen with it so fresh on my mind and to compare it back to Dune '84. I think I'm still going to appreciate the latter for what it was even though it will be inferior....I can only assume.

Will be kind of fun comparing the casting choices between both as well. For example, Yueh in '84 was highly miscast (he was essentially Asian and had long hair) while others feel pretty spot on at face value. Leto feels right for '84 for example IMO based on descriptions. Conversely, without having seen the new one and largely not watched any trailers on purpose, Bautista seems miscast as Rabban based on his description in the book, but maybe they accounted for that somehow in the film.
DallasTeleAg
I'll take your word on it. Youtube forces Cobert's videos on me enough as it is, and I never even watch them.
TombstoneTex
AG
Does the interview have spoilers? For those that care.
jac4
AG
Just tried to buy tickets on fandango. Movie times are listed for Cinemark in CS on 10/21, but tickets aren't available for sale yet. No movie times for Premiere in Bryan yet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It doesn't. I haven't read it either. Just a joke title.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Weird thing to brag about, but okay.
DallasTeleAg
Don't know how you took anything I posted as a brag...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just a joke. Felt an odd thing to post, is all.
Sea Speed
AG
So serious.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just a joke. Felt an odd thing to post, is all.
Some would say posting Fallon and Colbert interviews are an odd thing to post. (insert winky face here)
TombstoneTex
AG
Loosen up Francis!
TCTTS
AG
TombstoneTex
AG
Ipic houston (not imax screen but cool experience) says tickets on sale 10AM.

Houston Marq*E gives error message when trying to book right now but button is there.
jac4
AG
Just tried to buy tickets and couldn't. First world problems.
YouBet
AG
Got first two tickets in the theater for IMAX on Friday night. BOOM.
AverageJones
AG
Just got 6:10 pm Thursday night imax at the Marq*E
jac4
AG
Just got them.

Went with Cinemark XD. They weren't available for Premiere and I presume it's LieMax and not iMax.
YouBet
AG
From my first post starting this thread to actually buying tickets for this was just shy of 5 years.

Wow! It's happening!!!!
DVC2010
AG
AverageJones said:

I'm getting an error from the website.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Weird, my AMC doesn't have a thursday night IMAX showing. I guess because Bond might still be playing?

Got mine for Friday at 7:30.

If it opens up for Thursday later I'll probably switch to that. (Or hell, maybe even watch it twice.)
TombstoneTex
AG
DVC2010 said:

AverageJones said:

Same. Had to buy via fandango.
DVC2010
AG
DVC2010 said:

AverageJones said:

Got through after 30 minutes of refreshing the page. I'm happy now.
AliasMan02
AG
No purchase option at my theater of choice here in SLC yet. The Fremen are polygamists (sort of) so you'd think they'd be excited for this in Utah but nooooooo.
AliasMan02
AG
ddp
RED AG 98
AG
In! Bought tickets for Sunday at the self-proclaimed "largest screen in Texas" at the Bullock Museum. No longer film after 4k laser reno but it's far superior to everything else in town. I only wish they would move to assigned seats but alas they remain in the dark ages and we must queue...

In any case I am beyond excited .
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Weird, my AMC doesn't have a thursday night IMAX showing. I guess because Bond might still be playing?

Got mine for Friday at 7:30.

If it opens up for Thursday later I'll probably switch to that. (Or hell, maybe even watch it twice.)
Changed to Thursday at 6 pm. IMAX, dead center.
The Dog Lord
AG
11:30 Saturday morning at Palladium (real Imax) in SA
TCTTS
AG
Hardly any new footage, just a really cool behind-the-scenes featurette that will get you (even more) pumped...

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
AliasMan02 said:

No purchase option at my theater of choice here in SLC yet. The Fremen are polygamists (sort of) so you'd think they'd be excited for this in Utah but nooooooo.

Freman also have special underwear as well
TCTTS
AG
Btw, does any know the track playing during the first 40 seconds? I quickly scanned the entire official soundtrack and I can't find it. It's so good, though, and I'm assuming has to be from the movie.
TCTTS
AG
Just checked the The Dune Sketchbook soundtrack as well and it's not there either. What the heck?
TCTTS
AG
This might mean nothing at all, and is purely anecdotal, but I bought tickets for No Time To Die and Dune at the same theater - The Chinese Theater IMAX in Hollywood - opening weekends for both, two weeks apart, and the Dune showtimes are filling up faster than the No Time To Die showtimes did. In fact, as a point of comparison, there *already* look to be as many Dune tickets sold for the opening weekend 6:30 PM Saturday (the 23rd) showtime as there are tickets sold this coming Saturday (October 9th) for No Time To Die at the exact same showtime (6:30 PM). And I would say No Time to Die has only a slight edge when it comes to the respective 7 PM-ish Thursday/opening night screenings, one of which is three days away, the other over two weeks away. No Time To Die is projected to have a massive $90M-$100M opening weekend, and I just can't see Dune coming anywhere close to that (I'm guessing a $35-$50M), but who knows. It's certainly encouraging, though...
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I haven't seen James Bond in the theater since the Living Daylights. I have been waiting since those stupid weirding modules came out to see a real Dune movie
TCTTS
AG
That might explain it, though. Dune fans could be more passionate (i.e. will grab seats ASAP), but smaller in number, while Bond fans might be larger in number, but not as eager overall to grab tickets ASAP?
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

That might explain it, though. Dune fans could be more passionate (i.e. will grab seats ASAP), but smaller in number, while Bond fans might be larger in number, but not as eager overall to grab tickets ASAP?
I would assume this is the case. Dune is going to be an EVENT for all the scifi nerds.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.