***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,362 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

If this movie flops I will lose all faith in humanity

As far as blockbusters go, is there any way it doesn't? People just aren't going to the movies anymore and throw in the sci-fi genre, I dont see how it blows up. Hopefully it least does well as far as post covid standards. I am not sure what the baseline is in that regard but I'm sure others do. I'll be seeing it opening week. Depending on how it is, may see it twice. Saw tenet twice so I'm trying to do my part. That one was mostly to understand it more after the internet analyzed the dialog and plot though ha.
hunter2012
AG
It might be the elsewhere in this thread, but what is the budget and what do you think would be the revenue bar to clear to be considered a success?
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I'd imagine the budget is in the $150 - $200 million range (Blade Runner 2049 was $150 million), meaning it probably has to clear $300 - $400 million worldwide to be in the green.

I don't see this breaking $100 million in the US box office, so it'll be interesting to see if it has worldwide box office legs.
TCTTS
AG
Sea Speed said:

BenFiasco14 said:

As far as blockbusters go, is there any way it doesn't? People just aren't going to the movies anymore and throw in the sci-fi genre, I dont see how it blows up. Hopefully it least does well as far as post covid standards. I am not sure what the baseline is in that regard but I'm sure others do. I'll be seeing it opening week. Depending on how it is, may see it twice. Saw tenet twice so I'm trying to do my part. That one was mostly to understand it more after the internet analyzed the dialog and plot though ha.

$80M opening weekend 7/09 = Black Widow
$70M opening weekend 6/25 = F9
$47M opening weekend 5/28 = A Quiet Place Part II
$31M opening weekend 3/31 = Godzilla vs. Kong
TCTTS
AG
I'm not saying Dune will do Black Widow numbers (it won't), but by October things will be even more back to normal, people will turn out in droves for No Time to Die the weekend of the 8th, and by the time Eternals, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, Top Gun: Maverick, Spider-Man: No Way Home, and The Matrix Resurrections hit in November/December, I'm betting things will once again finally start to look/feel like they did pre-pandemic.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

The only thing to compare it to as we head for December is the release of Fellowship of the Ring in 2001. A masterpiece of fantasy/scifi literature that has a hardcore fanbase, but does it translate into a huge general audience success?

Obviously COVID makes everything different, but otherwise there are a lot of similarities. There are several generations of built-in fans, you've got a really large cast, with several name actors involved, sequels locked in, a fantastic composer powering the audio, and visuals in the trailer that presumably will wow a general popcorn audience enough to get their butts in the seats.

I still chuckle to myself thinking back to going in a music store in 2001 asking to buy the FOTR soundtrack the day it came out and the people having no idea what I was talking about and it being just shoved into an alphabetical slot somewhere.
TCTTS
AG
That's a great comparison. Lord of the Rings feels so much bigger now than Dune does, but thinking back to 1999/2000, when the LOTR trilogy was announced/cast, I had only vaguely heard of "hobbits" and the title and what not, and didn't know a single person who had ever heard of the books, save for one friend. Overall, I think LOTR is probably a bit more female/family-friendly, and not as hard core nerd/sci-fi as Dune, but that too could also be based on my perception now, after LOTR and Game of Thrones took fantasy mainstream. Either way, will be interesting to see if this plays out in similar fashion...
veryfuller
Staff
AG
The cast in this is much more well known than the LOTR cast was back then. With a lot of cross-generational appeal. Ultimately, that could be what ends up drawing people in.
TCTTS
AG
That's a good call about the cast.

The one advantage LOTR had, though, was the Christmas release date, as it allowed for virtually no other blockbuster competition for six to eight weeks after its release, through the doldrums of January/February. Dune, however, like I mentioned earlier, has a gauntlet of blockbusters to navigate...

10.08 = No Time to Die
10.22 = Dune
11.05 = Eternals
11.11 = Ghostbusters: Afterlife
11.19 = Top Gun: Maverick
12.17 = Spider-Man: No Way Home
12.22 = The Matrix Resurrections
Rex Racer
AG
TCTTS said:

The one advantage LOTR had, though, was the Christmas release date, as it allowed for virtually no other blockbuster competition for six to eight weeks after its release, through the doldrums of January/February. Dune, however, like I mentioned earlier, has a gauntlet of blockbusters to navigate...

10.08 = No Time to Die
10.22 = Dune
11.05 = Eternals
Wow, what a run of movies. My wife and I will be at every one!
TCTTS
AG
Great to hear. October through December is going to be so much fun at the theater.
BenFiasco14
AG
Sea Speed said:

BenFiasco14 said:

I haven't been to the movies since before COVID. I've enjoyed having a lot of the big ones on HBO Max and watched Quiet Place II on paramount recently.

I want to try and find an IMAX showing of Dune.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Sea Speed
AG
TCTTS said:

Sea Speed said:

BenFiasco14 said:

And what would those numbers have been in 2019? What about entire earnings? What are non blockbuster types doing? Surely you aren't saying people are going to the movies at a summer 2019 rate.
Chipotlemonger
AG
You move goalposts worse than anyone else
Quad Dog
AG
Funny enough women are barely involved in LOTR, but have huge roles in Dune. Based on the trailer it looks like they are playing up Zendaya's role. I also can't wait for Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica, that might be my favorite bit of casting in this stacked cast.
Sea Speed
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Sea Speed said:

BenFiasco14 said:

I haven't been to the movies since before COVID. I've enjoyed having a lot of the big ones on HBO Max and watched Quiet Place II on paramount recently.

I want to try and find an IMAX showing of Dune.

It really isn't the same though, by any stretch. Sure it's great to be able to see them in the comfort of your own home and makes life a little easier (unless you have kids, watching that Disney dragon movie was a nightmare at home), but until projectors and home theater setups are ubiquitous, there isn't much comparison. I saw QP2 in theaters and besides some Netflix type movie that was played in theaters, it was the first movie date night the wife and I had and was worth every penny. We used to do that at least monthly and with rules changing and theaters being closed and all the other hoopla, it just wasn't feasible.
TCTTS
AG
Sea Speed said:

TCTTS said:

Sea Speed said:

BenFiasco14 said:

And what would those numbers have been in 2019? What about entire earnings? What are non blockbuster types doing? Surely you aren't saying people are going to the movies at a summer 2019 rate.

I was responding to your *very specific* sentiment that "people just aren't going to the movies anymore." I show you that they are, in fact, going to the movies, in relatively large numbers, and you immediately move the bar by essentially saying, "Ok, but not at a summer 2019 rate." No one said anything about a summer 2019 rate. No one said, "Movies are all the way back!" And no, entire earnings aren't nearly on par with what they used to be. But box office IS slowly but surely trending upward - despite your initial claim - with more and more blockbusters on the horizon, soon to be releasing quite frequently at that, starting this fall through the end of the year.
Sea Speed
AG
You're right. What i was thinking in my head was not what I wrote on the page and im sorry for that. I do that often where I assume others are on the same page and I shouldn't.

I alluded to it when I said I hope it can get above what ever the post covid baseline is, which I dont know and thought others would. It appears the numbers are going up pretty steadily, but is that because the class of movie or that apprehension is abating? Who knows. Hopefully D hysteria doesn't sweep through and mess up another opening weekend.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

and didn't know a single person who had ever heard of the books, save for one friend.
First Dune, now this. Just come clean and admit you never learned to read. Nothing else makes sense about these omissions.
Quad Dog
AG
Based on his 101 Dalmations knowledge he probably thinks Dune is about a bunch of people looking for Oregano and LOTR is about a guy who's looking for a ring to propose to his girlfriend with.
TCTTS
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

TCTTS said:

and didn't know a single person who had ever heard of the books, save for one friend.
First Dune, now this. Just come clean and admit you never learned to read. Nothing else makes sense about these omissions.

Ha, I played sports growing up! Reading was for nerds. It wasn't until late in high school and then into college that I started kind of sort of getting into this kind of stuff. That said, I bought my first copy of LOTR - a giant, single book that comprised the entire trilogy - at 18, on a family trip abroad, at a quaint London bookstore. I felt *very* British in that moment, and ended up reading a big chunk of it as we drove for two weeks through all of England, Ireland, and Scotland. It was such a fun trip, and a great book to read for the first time through all those countrysides.
TCTTS
AG
Quad Dog said:

Based on his 101 Dalmations knowledge he probably thinks Dune is about a bunch of people looking for Oregano and LOTR is about a guy who's looking for a ring to propose to his girlfriend with.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
TCTTS said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

TCTTS said:

Ha, I played sports growing up! Reading was for nerds. It wasn't until late in high school and then into college that I started kind of sort of getting into this kind of stuff. That said, I bought my first copy of LOTR - a giant, single book that comprised the entire trilogy - at 18, on a family trip abroad, at a quaint London bookstore. I felt *very* British in that moment, and ended up reading a big chunk of it as we drove for two weeks through all of England, Ireland, and Scotland. It was such a fun trip, and a great book to read for the first time through all those countrysides.

Pretentious nerd alert.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS
hunter2012
AG
Book readers will appreciate this bit from the comment section:
Quote:

Noticed this in the trailer:

"What's to become of our world...............................Paul."

You're GD right.
jenn96
AG
Haha that Joey quote was the first thing that popped into my head just now. I am a pretty big nerd and loved and read all these books in high school and college, but I guarantee the boys I had sex with hadn't.
AliasMan02
AG
Quad Dog said:

Funny enough women are barely involved in LOTR, but have huge roles in Dune. Based on the trailer it looks like they are playing up Zendaya's role. I also can't wait for Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica, that might be my favorite bit of casting in this stacked cast.

Lady Jessica might be the most important character in the first half of the book, tbh.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jenn96 said:

Haha that Joey quote was the first thing that popped into my head just now. I am a pretty big nerd and loved and read all these books in high school and college, but I guarantee the boys I had sex with hadn't.

Weird flex but ok
Sea Speed
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

jenn96 said:

Weird flex but ok
jenn96
AG
Ha not meant as a flex - just my observation from the other side.
The Dog Lord
AG
I didn't realize expectations (in terms of box office) were a concern. I get that there is a gauntlet of movies coming out this fall, but this seems like a huge blockbuster. Even those with no connection to it may be drawn in due to the cast. It's also been getting a decent amount of press.
jeffk
AG
Sports and books was an either/or?!?! Here I was doing both like a chump!!!
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Quad Dog said:

I mean why was sauron such a bad guy? He was just trying to get HIS ring, HE made, back while Rudy and Huck Finn tried to destroy it
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

10.08 = No Time to Die
10.22 = Dune
11.05 = Eternals
My goodness. I may go to the movies for the first time since Endgame and possible more than one time per year for the first time in five!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.