***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,360 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If I tried to layout the high points of the son's books, you would think I was trolling.
jenn96
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

If I tried to layout the high points of the son's books, you would think I was trolling.
You're not wrong. I read the first two and they were so...bad. Couldn't make myself read the others.
TombstoneTex
AG
jenn96 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

You're not wrong. I read the first two and they were so...bad. Couldn't make myself read the others.

Not to derail too much but… I'm kind of glad George R. R. Martin doesn't have kids for this reason. Maybe a competent writer will pick up his notes and finish that series after he passes…
Duncan Idaho
jenn96 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

You mean the Butlerian jihad being fought against giant cyberborgs that enslaved the rest of humanity didn't seem like something Frank would have written?
Sea Speed
AG
If there's any industry I just can't see nepotism working in it is writing.
Al Bula
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

this is spot on.

I could sure go for some slig medallions marinated in a
Caladanian wine sauce right now.
jenn96
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

jenn96 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

You mean the Butlerian jihad being fought against giant cyberborgs that enslaved the rest of humanity didn't seem like something Frank would have written?
Nope. And if he had, it wouldn't have been written with all of the literary grace and style of an overly earnest undergrad project. The combo of bad writing + bad plot + unnecessary shoehorning in every possible character backstory ever alluded to in the (real) Dune books was a beating I could not overcome.
Al Bula
AG
I think the dune BH/KJA novels were the final stop in my journey to cynicism. That storyline wrapped up in the late 2000s. For years I would read anything in the franchises I followed. Dune. Star Wars. WoT (thankfully this one made me suspect the author only wanted to keep me hanging on just to sell me thousands more to read, never finished).

Just wikied some apparently recent crap from them they shat out on the extended Dune universe. Nope.

Even Tolkien realized that when a story arc is done, it should be put to bed.

MM articulated the scam best in WoWS. Who cares about the thing, just keep people continuing to put money into it.

YouBet
AG
All of the Herbert sons books I read were prequels.

Has he now done books post Dune?
Al Bula
AG
YouBet said:

All of the Herbert sons books I read were prequels.

Has he now done books post Dune?
yes, those assclowns wrote novels after chapterhouse and during the original Paul timeline, pre-prequels and a bunch of other garbage.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
We gonna start a 10 day count down or what?
h1ag
AG
Just finished the first book for the first time. Immediately ordered Dune Messiah. Just awesome.

It'll be interesting to see if/where they take the second movie. The tone definitely shifted more than I was expecting to after a certain event.
TCTTS
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Best Picture nomination. Book it.
TCTTS
AG
One week from tonight.
TCTTS
AG
Noblemen06
AG
Saw it this afternoon in IMAX over here in Okinawa - solid thumbs up from me and my wife (who had no idea what she was getting into). There is a ton of story covered but it never feels rushed, though it is anxiety-inducing several times. Legitimately epic - story, direction, cinematography, score - awesome.
TCTTS
AG
Awesome!

So great to hear, and thanks for sharing.
Sea Speed
AG
I loved Okinawa. Spent a bunch of time down in naha.
schmendeler
AG
A week ahead because of the international date line?
ZofranAggie
AG

Y'all have probably already seen this, but man this trailer has me stoked. I just finished the book. Can't wait to devour the rest of the series.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
Will it top Addams Family Values as the best movie I've seen this month?
YouBet
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Will it top Addams Family Values as the best movie I've seen this month?
There is no way its better than that all-time cinema classic.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Going to see this 10/28, can't wait! Been waiting too damn long.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Not much advance ticket buying in my area. Here's the current availability in the theater I'll be in on Thursday at 6 pm.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just saw my first negative review of it. The reasoning was that a fantasy Sci-fi movie set 20,000 years in the future has a message that it's ok to be a dictator in 2021. How dare Frank Herbert.

https://news.yahoo.com/dune-shouldve-less-dune-y-180110201.html
Duncan Idaho
Well that is certainly one take
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Lol I know right?

my favorite part is when the writer breathed a sigh of relief that they didn't use Herbert's homophobic writings about Baron Harkonnen. Wasn't his attraction in the books solely towards underage boys?
YouBet
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Lol I know right?

my favorite part is when the writer breathed a sigh of relief that they didn't use Herbert's homophobic writings about Baron Harkonnen. Wasn't his attraction in the books solely towards underage boys?

Yes. Although he did mess around with women earlier in his life as I was shocked to remember a pretty significant plot point I had forgotten about.
Mathguy64
AG
YouBet said:

Champ Bailey said:

Lol I know right?

Yes. Although he did mess around with women earlier in his life as I was shocked to remember a pretty significant plot point I had forgotten about.

. Yeah. That whole concubine and forced pairing of bloodlines and breeding by the Bene Gesserit plot point. That would go over like a lead balloon today. If they come anywhere close to that part I will be shocked.
Duncan Idaho
Mathguy64 said:

YouBet said:

Champ Bailey said:

Lol I know right?

. Yeah. That whole concubine and forced pairing of bloodlines and breeding by the Bene Gesserit plot point. That would go over like a lead balloon today. If they come anywhere close to that part I will be shocked.
if they don't go to that point, the whole story just falls apart. but sure, a few years after an incest driven narative focused on bloodlines and breeding was the biggest thing in popular culture, people are going to shy away from it in dune.
Claude!
Champ Bailey said:

Lol I know right?

The point of Harkonnen's depravity isn't really about attraction to underage boys. It's the fact that he buys people, rapes and tortures them, and then disposes of them like garbage. He could be an equal opportunity rapist and killer and it would serve the story almost as well, although I think in the book (and almost certainly in the '84 movie), he was attracted to Feyd, which added another layer onto things.
Duncan Idaho
I think the lynch movie showed this part of his personality effectively. Not perfectly but effectively

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.