***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,385 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

That might explain it, though. Dune fans could be more passionate (i.e. will grab seats ASAP), but smaller in number, while Bond fans might be larger in number, but not as eager overall to grab tickets ASAP?
I would assume this is the case. Dune is going to be an EVENT for all the scifi nerds.
So much this
DallasTeleAg
Gotta be honest, my biggest concern is the guy playing Paul. I really hope he does a good job, but it's a worry for me. Hopefully it turns out like when I was worried about Heath Ledger cast as the Joker.
YouBet
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Gotta be honest, my biggest concern is the guy playing Paul. I really hope he does a good job, but it's a worry for me. Hopefully it turns out like when I was worried about Heath Ledger cast as the Joker.
I share some of the same concern. He's the biggest ***** looking dude in Hollywood and he's playing a guy that is a well trained fighter.

However, I can overlook that since Paul is only 15.
TCTTS
AG
He's a great actor. I wouldn't worry about his performance at all. My only concern is Chalamet's size. I know nothing about Paul as a character, but if he's supposed to be some kind of warrior/leader, I might not buy beanpole boy in the role physically.
Duncan Idaho
YouBet said:

DallasTeleAg said:

I share some of the same concern. He's the biggest ***** looking dude in Hollywood and he's playing a guy that is a well trained fighter.

However, I can overlook that since Paul is only 15.

He was a convincing combatant in that french king movie on Netflix
Al Bula
AG
Rewatched the dune trailer last night and preparing for a letdown. After being aware of the cast for what's seems like forever, I can't say I have really been swayed by my original take on the cast. Who knows, it could be a home run but I am a purist that feels there is only one visionary associated with Dune: Frank Herbert.

Chani, Paul and Kynes are terribly, terribly miscast. I think Paul has the best chance to surprise and make me retract my feeling, but we will see. Looks like hawat could be a big bunch of fail too.

I think stilgar, Leto, Jessica, gurney and piter will be really good. The cheesy Duncan Idaho comments in the trailer are eye-rolling but I will probably like the portrayal.

The baron and rabban are going to steal the whole show.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I think I am going to be offshore still when this comes out... I'll have to get it in November sometime... booooo
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
TCTTS said:

He's a great actor. I wouldn't worry about his performance at all. My only concern is Chalamet's size. I know nothing about Paul as a character, but if he's supposed to be some kind of warrior/leader, I might not buy beanpole boy in the role physically.

May thy knife chip and scatter
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

This is my issue; not his acting.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

Then don't worry about it. His casting is far from being out of character.
PatAg
AG
YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

You read the books, and somehow pictured a large imposing figure as Paul? How?

edit: Not saying he completely fits what I pictured, but I know he considers himself a serious actor. I'm confident he will nail the acting portions, and he is the kind of actor to put the work in to do the physical parts of a role as wll.
TCTTS
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Then don't worry about it. His casting is far from being out of character.

I'm not the one who brought it up, I tried to alleviate fears, and caveated my post.
AliasMan02
AG
SLC is so lame, guys. Zero seats taken.

Of course I got the first one, so...
YouBet
AG
PatAg said:

YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

You read the books, and somehow pictured a large imposing figure as Paul? How?

Not at all but Paul is pretty highly trained and Chalamat is built like a 5 yr old. Doesn't compute. Regardless, I'm not that worried about it and it's not going to affect my viewing. Was just making a comment.
PatAg
AG
I added an edit to my comment after you replied. It read like me calling you out, when that wasnt the intent.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
To me, Timothee is a perfect fit:
Paul is 15 years old when the book begins
Paul is initially described as "small for his age"
Paul has secretly undergone the early Mentat training, and is also schooled in weapon use by Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho.

To me this describes a scrappy young man just out of puberty but one who has been training for years.

My translation: I imagine a kid whose been taking martial arts and been playing sports since he was about 5-6... good frame to build on, but wiry and cunning. Paul would never out-strength you, but he would have superior speed and tactics.
powerbelly
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Paul has secretly undergone the early Mentat training, and is also schooled in weapon use by Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho.

To me this describes a scrappy young man just out of puberty but one who has been training for years.

My translation: I imagine a kid whose been taking martial arts and been playing sports since he was about 5-6... good frame to build on, but wiry and cunning. Paul would never out-strength you, but he would have superior speed and tactics.

Agree
YouBet
AG
Good point. It does say he's small for his age.
hunter2012
AG
Don't underestimate or think they miscast the "little mouse".
wangus12
AG

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Dang Duncan has like 3 different beard settings in that trailer????

does he shave it for the stillsuit?
Duncan Idaho
The trailer said it was the next Star Wars....does that mean I can visit a Fremen sietch at a universal studios sometime soon?
hunter2012
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

The trailer said it was the next Star Wars....does that mean I can visit a Fremen sietch at a universal studios sometime soon?
I sure as hell ain't going to a spice orgy at Universal, have you seen the gila-monsters that are at amusement parks?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Agreed. Nobody in Hollywood looks more like a 15 year old boy than Chalamet. To the guys worried, who do you think would be more what you were imagining? Like Tom Holland?
Duncan Idaho
Elliot page
YouBet
AG
Champ Bailey said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Agreed. Nobody in Hollywood looks more like a 15 year old boy than Chalamet. To the guys worried, who do you think would be more what you were imagining? Like Tom Holland?
I assumed Bautista was playing Paul.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Elliot page

You know, I almost included him too, I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Champ Bailey said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

15 year old Joseph Gordon Levitt in a perfect world
Duncan Idaho
I was trying to pull someone offsides
Claude!
YouBet said:

Champ Bailey said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

He'd make a great Lady Jessica.
YouBet
AG
Claude! said:

YouBet said:

Champ Bailey said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

He'd make a great Lady Jessica.
I would agree. He already has the "voice".
Sea Speed
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I was trying to pull someone offsides

The Dog Lord
AG
Just finished the 6th book in the series. I really liked Chapterhouse: Dune but am sad that it ended there. I know Herbert's son and someone else penned more novels, but I hear they aren't good. Does anyone know if some of them are at least based on FH's notes for the 7th book?

There are so many things that were left open. I may not read the son's books but would at least read a synopsis if they're supposed to follow FH's plan to finish things out.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Had some serious deja vu because of your post on the reading 2021 thread.

I just did a reread of Dune and loved it. Remembered the general story but that is it. I think reading it now with a little more age to me made a difference, also just by being in a completely different part of life.

I am not sure I will reread the other original novels, but your post makes me want to! I do have some great memories of the later books.
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.