***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,378 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Claude! said:

Champ Bailey said:

Lol I know right?

my favorite part is when the writer breathed a sigh of relief that they didn't use Herbert's homophobic writings about Baron Harkonnen. Wasn't his attraction in the books solely towards underage boys?
The point of Harkonnen's depravity isn't really about attraction to underage boys. It's the fact that he buys people, rapes and tortures them, and then disposes of them like garbage. He could be an equal opportunity rapist and killer and it would serve the story almost as well, although I think in the book (and almost certainly in the '84 movie), he was attracted to Feyd, which added another layer onto things.
Exactly! he's the most morally depraved of tyrants as the Baron is purely a political hedonist and people are less than tools, they are disposables. I hope they have something of his book nature in the movie as it's the entire premise of the conflict in Children of Dune. It's going to suck if he's a generic bad because of political backlash fear. Sadly even pedophiles cannot be morally criticized today without "PHOBIA!!" shrills.
YouBet
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Mathguy64 said:

YouBet said:

Champ Bailey said:

Lol I know right?

my favorite part is when the writer breathed a sigh of relief that they didn't use Herbert's homophobic writings about Baron Harkonnen. Wasn't his attraction in the books solely towards underage boys?

Yes. Although he did mess around with women earlier in his life as I was shocked to remember a pretty significant plot point I had forgotten about.

. Yeah. That whole concubine and forced pairing of bloodlines and breeding by the Bene Gesserit plot point. That would go over like a lead balloon today. If they come anywhere close to that part I will be shocked.
if they don't go to that point, the whole story just falls apart. but sure, a few years after an incest driven narative focused on bloodlines and breeding was the biggest thing in popular culture, people are going to shy away from it in dune.
Blanking. What are you referring to?
Quad Dog
AG
I thought it was Game of Thrones.
Duncan Idaho
It was.
Noblemen06
AG
schmendeler said:

A week ahead because of the international date line?

Apparently, much of the world is getting it before the US, which is news to me.

We just lucked into having the day off and deciding on a whim to catch a movie the day Dune released over here.
Claude!
YouBet said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Mathguy64 said:

YouBet said:

Champ Bailey said:

Lol I know right?

Yes. Although he did mess around with women earlier in his life as I was shocked to remember a pretty significant plot point I had forgotten about.

. Yeah. That whole concubine and forced pairing of bloodlines and breeding by the Bene Gesserit plot point. That would go over like a lead balloon today. If they come anywhere close to that part I will be shocked.
if they don't go to that point, the whole story just falls apart. but sure, a few years after an incest driven narative focused on bloodlines and breeding was the biggest thing in popular culture, people are going to shy away from it in dune.
Edit: to reemphasize, a major plot point of the books in the below spoilers.

Could be a couple of things. I think there were intimations that the Baron kind of wanted to do bad things with any combination of Paul, Feyd, and/or Alia. Also, add in that Jessica is the illegitimate daughter of Baron Harkonnen and was supposed to bear a daughter to mate with Feyd to create the Kwisatz Haderach, and you've got more than a tinge of incest.
DallasTeleAg
BAH! This thread has gone to all redacted posts. No me gusta.
YouBet
AG
Claude! said:

YouBet said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Mathguy64 said:

YouBet said:

Champ Bailey said:

Lol I know right?

Edit: to reemphasize, a major plot point of the books in the below spoilers.

Could be a couple of things. I think there were intimations that the Baron kind of wanted to do bad things with any combination of Paul, Feyd, and/or Alia. Also, add in that Jessica is the illegitimate daughter of Baron Harkonnen and was supposed to bear a daughter to mate with Feyd to create the Kwisatz Haderach, and you've got more than a tinge of incest.
Yeah, I was aware of that. I wasn't sure what he was referring to on the other culture mention.

I was kind of floored when I read that in Dune last week because I had completely forgotten about it and I don't think it was mentioned in '84 Dune. I'm about 50% done with the book so I have to knock it out this week.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The Baron is like "The Sisters" in Shawshank. He isn't "human" but is needed for the breeding program. That is an interesting twist. I also think in the longer directors cut of Lynch's Dune Jessica's parentage was dealt with

Fyed never was cast was he?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I don't believe so
Cromagnum
AG
My wife is on board to watch this. Asked me if she should read the book (yes) and if she should watch the original movie (lolno)
YouBet
AG
Cromagnum said:

My wife is on board to watch this. Asked me if she should read the book (yes) and if she should watch the original movie (lolno)
This movie is going to blow '84 Dune out of the water, but I will always harbor a love for that movie.
C@LAg
Oops/

That leaked early, but I guess since the film is released in some parts of the world., it is also available digitally.
C@LAg
YouBet said:

Cromagnum said:

This movie is going to blow '84 Dune out of the water, but I will always harbor a love for that movie.
Yeah, this version is not as quotable as the 84 version.
C@LAg
Well that was a long, well-spent 2.5 hours.

Overall definitely a huge thumbs up.

Everyone is solid in their parts, although no one actually stands out, but this really is not that kind of movie.

Cinematography is gorgeous as expected for a DV film.

Soundtrack is great although DV mixed it way too high in many scenes to where it almost overpowered those scenes. Very much a callback to scifi movies in the 80s, where the music was mixed way too high and was used to direct emotional response way too hard, instead of where it should have been more in the background to let the scene breathe on its own.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You watched it on a tv? Doesn't count.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, please tell me you didn't watch a leaked f/cking copy of Dune, of all movies. Less than a week before it's set to come out, no less.
TCTTS
AG
As for those of us in the states actually paying to see it, at last, Dune week is upon us.

Who's seeing it when?

I'm going Thursday night at 7 PM. The Chinese Theater IMAX. Just checked again and the entire theater (which is massive) is almost sold out.

This is going to be so fun.

Box office-wise, it's been performing slightly above expectations oversees, which is awesome, and is currently tracking to do $35-$45M opening weekend domestically. So, fingers crossed, hopefully it can outperform those numbers and make for four October weekends in a row with a $50M+ opener. (Venom: Let There Be Carnage = $90M, No Time to Die = $56M, Halloween = $50M), something I don't think has ever happened before in the month of October.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$35M would be incredibly disappointing, especially with Halloween just opening to 50.

I think the word of mouth will push that up to 50-60. Here's hoping.
TCTTS
AG
Apparently Halloween was tracking around $35M as well, just a few days prior, then obviously blew past that and surprised everyone. So there's definitely precedent/hope.
YouBet
AG
I got our tickets the second they went on sale for Friday night at IMAX here in Dallas. The very next showing at 7:30 (not imax) literally has not sold a single seat and it's a huge theater. Checked last night.

That isn't good.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The showing at my local theater seems to have not huge demand either, however I am in a smaller market and it may not be the best barometer. Hope this movie has some staying power if the initial week burst isn't big enough!

I personally won't be able to see it until next week. Can't wait though.
powerbelly
AG
YouBet said:

I got our tickets the second they went on sale for Friday night at IMAX here in Dallas. The very next showing at 7:30 (not imax) literally has not sold a single seat and it's a huge theater. Checked last night.

That isn't good.
It will be interesting to watch the trends here. Maybe a look at post-Covid theater going behavior.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
powerbelly said:

YouBet said:

That isn't good.
It will be interesting to watch the trends here. Maybe a look at post-Covid theater going behavior.

Went and saw Bond on Monday, probably was half full. Was pretty surprised, I can't imagine how these movie places with so much land for parking are still able to pay the bills.
Sapper Redux
powerbelly said:

YouBet said:

That isn't good.

Not trying to get political, but we aren't post-Covid yet. Some people want to force us to go back to pre-Covid without recognizing that there are many, many people who will choose to not behave in a pre-Covid manner until they feel things are safer. I just hope ot doesn't hurt the ability of this movie to get a sequel.
powerbelly
AG
Sapper Redux said:

powerbelly said:

YouBet said:

That isn't good.

Not trying to get political, but we aren't post-Covid yet. Some people want to force us to go back to pre-Covid without recognizing that there are many, many people who will choose to not behave in a pre-Covid manner until they feel things are safer. I just hope ot doesn't hurt the ability of this movie to get a sequel.
I was more speaking towards people wanting new releases at home and not really caring about the theater experience.
Sapper Redux
powerbelly said:

Sapper Redux said:

powerbelly said:

YouBet said:

That isn't good.

I was more speaking towards people wanting new releases at home and not really caring about the theater experience.

Ah, my mistake
ZofranAggie
AG
Bought tickets last week. Taking wife on date night to see it in XD at Cinemark. Sitter arranged, restaurant reservations made. After a tough 3 week stretch of call this will be a nice weekend (on top of the Ags BTHO South Carolina).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
powerbelly
AG
Sapper Redux said:

powerbelly said:

Sapper Redux said:

powerbelly said:

YouBet said:

That isn't good.

Ah, my mistake
No worries. I wasnt clear.
wangus12
AG
I don't know of anyone watching new movies at home other than the animated kids movies families that don't want to take the kids to the theater.

In for 7pm at IMAX in Frisco. The true IMAX in Dallas was pretty much sold out and I don't want to wait past Thursday
javajaws
AG
powerbelly said:

YouBet said:

That isn't good.
I'd be willing to bet a significant number of people not only upgraded their own home viewing equipment, but also got used to watching new content via streaming during the last couple of years.

And some portion of those people will probably be less willing to go back to the theater regardless of covid status in this country. It WILL be interesting to see what theater numbers will be in a few years - but weren't they falling even before covid? I think the last couple of years will only speed up that trend.

For me personally I seldom saw new movies in the theaters before covid - it had to have been some super blockbuster for me to want to go. It's not that I don't love movies, but it's that I like them so much I set up my own home theater years ago. The image, sound, and popcorn are literally all better at home for me compared to 95% of the theaters I could go to. And no screaming babies either.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Sea Speed
AG
I dont think I have ever been in a movie with theater with a screaming baby, even at the kids daytime lights up movies.
powerbelly
AG
wangus12 said:

I don't know of anyone watching new movies at home other than the animated kids movies families that don't want to take the kids to the theater.

In for 7pm at IMAX in Frisco. The true IMAX in Dallas was pretty much sold out and I don't want to wait past Thursday
I am not so sure. The fact that the IMAX in Dallas isn't sold out (when I looked this morning) for any of the showings is interesting in and of itself.
javajaws
AG
Sea Speed said:

I dont think I have ever been in a movie with theater with a screaming baby, even at the kids daytime lights up movies.
congrats?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Sapper Redux
javajaws said:

Sea Speed said:

congrats?

It still beats watching a movie with Redstone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.