***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,361 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
AgLiving06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yall gave this movie enough hype I just bought the book...Will read it first and then try and catch the movie
Joe Boudain
AgLiving06 said:

Yall gave this movie enough hype I just bought the book...Will read it first and then try and catch the movie

The books are probably the best I've read. Read all of the F Hebert ones, and then read them again.
AGinHI
AG
AgLiving06 said:

I'm missing half of the game because of what posters have said.

Not in 26 years has anything (other than a rare family event) taken priority over Aggie football.
ZofranAggie
AG
I did the same. Finished the first book last week and it was good. Will let you know about the movie later tonight.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TCTTS
AG
GiveEmHellBill
AG
AGinHI said:

AgLiving06 said:

Not in 26 years has anything (other than a rare family event) taken priority over Aggie football.

It's okay.

It's South Carolina.
Claude!
GiveEmHellBill said:

AGinHI said:

AgLiving06 said:

It's okay.

It's South Carolina.
Don't tempt fate. Penn State only had Illinois.
TriAg2010
AG
Joe Boudain said:

AgLiving06 said:

The books are probably the best I've read. Read all of the F Hebert ones, and then read them again.

I made a post about 30 pages up that Dune is one of the fastest developing books I've read. It's like every page has a notable plot development.

The film likewise moves at breakneck speed. It would be interesting to count how many distinct scenes were packed in that 155 minutes. I'd guess the average scene was maybe 5 minutes? Not a lot of dialog, either. Plenty of scenes are 2-3 exchanges between a pair of characters and on to the next.

All in all, it's a visually stunning film with bone-rattling sound. It would be a complete disservice to watch it at home on your first viewing. I felt like it didn't pack quite the emotional punch I was expecting with only Leto's death really pulling on me. Nevertheless, the film effectively tells a complex story that can be well followed whether you've read the books or not.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I want to see this in theaters so bad, but my wife and I Foster parent, so I have to find a damned background checked and CPR trained babysitter...

Cypress TX if anyone knows a gal...
AgfromHOU
AG
Wtf
Sea Speed
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Wtf
thats nothing compared to the rest of his journey. spreadsheet is a legit good dude.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
This reminds me I have an update for the AO thread
ZofranAggie
AG
Just got back from seeing it in XD (whatever). It was awesome. Beautiful shooting and landscape, high fidelity to the story save for minor details, they explained the complex politics well, and the soundtrack was excellent.
I am glad they split the movie up.
The only wtf moment was Thufir's weird little umbrella. I laughed out loud at that one.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AGinHI
AG
Gig-Em2003
AG
Where do I start if I want to read these books?
Decay
AG
The one with the movie cover
Gig-Em2003
AG
Thanks
The Dog Lord
AG
Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

That is the order of the 6 books written by FH. His son and a collaborator wrote many sequels and prequels that are not favorably reviewed by most. Be warned that book 6 provides an okay ending but that FH intended to write at least one more to truly wrap it up.
JCRiley09
AG
Non-book reader and watched on HBOMax:

First, the visuals and the acting was incredible. The beauty of this film cannot be understated. It was like watching Avatar for the first time and realizing that the expectations for what a movie can look like has changed. Incredible. And every actor had me glued to the screen.

Spoiler free reaction to the end: I thought it ended annoyingly. My initial thought was, "wait it's just going to stop?" instead of "I can't wait to see the next one!" or "I'm going to start reading the books now!" The story itself didn't pull me in as much as the visuals and performances.
YouBet
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

Thanks
If you want to read it vs listen to it then the cover to the right of the movie poster is the original Dune. That's the one I'm reading right now.
Claude!
JCRiley09 said:

Non-book reader and watched on HBOMax:

First, the visuals and the acting was incredible. The beauty of this film cannot be understated. It was like watching Avatar for the first time and realizing that the expectations for what a movie can look like has changed. Incredible. And every actor had me glued to the screen.

Spoiler free reaction to the end: I thought it ended annoyingly. My initial thought was, "wait it's just going to stop?" instead of "I can't wait to see the next one!" or "I'm going to start reading the books now!" The story itself didn't pull me in as much as the visuals and performances.

Without spoiling, I don't think there was a much better place to end it if they're splitting the first book in two.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Outperformed initial projections, with $40M.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/dune-weekend-box-office-1234860683/
TCTTS
AG
Hell yeah.

Knock on wood, but I bet we get an announcement tomorrow.
Dark_Knight
AG
Fantastic movie. Loved it. Great adaptation and I hope we get more movies.
Because I'm Batman!

Jab
AG
I went with my son this afternoon and we were both blown away. I kept checking my watch, not because I was bored, but because I was anxious about it ending and wanted more!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great and informative video.

TCTTS
AG
JCRiley09
AG
Seems like a really dumb way to make a bootleg when you can stream it on a computer
Sea Speed
AG
not EVERYTHING you see on the internet is real.
ord89
AG
Skip all the Brian Herbert ones...
RED AG 98
AG
Wow! Saw it at the big IMAX at Bullock Museum this afternoon. It's a real square IMAX screen but "upgraded" from film to digital. I definitely noticed a shift from full screen to wide aspect ratio with black bars multiple times throughout.

Outside of that small annoyance as one who has read and loves the books I thought this was an amazing film. As others have said it was beautifully shot. To me it finally brings real substance and depth to these characters and stories many of us love.

My two teenagers both really enjoyed it as well and are ready for the next right now. Despite my pleadings neither actually read the book, but they were able to pick up most of the ideas without any issue. DV did an amazing job of bringing this to the big screen.

Now to the spoiler thread!
ord89
AG
Amazing. Simply amazing. Loved it.
Ord89
c-jags
We saw it Friday in imax.

Me, wife 14 and 12 yo son.

Me and 14 yo loved it. Wife fell asleep and 12 yo was bored and confused.

I predicted all of this and tried to convince them to watch it on HBO, and then let me and the 14 yo see it ourselves in IMAX and save some money.

Might go see it again just to do my part to help the box office numbers. I read it needs to make $300mm to make people happy enough for a sequel. It's pretty close currently.
tamuangry
Add my 2 cents.

I streamed it on HBO, hoping that it would be as amazing as I hoped it would be. I was also hoping it would be clean enough for my boys to watch.

I loved it! True to form and a movie the family can watch. I understand the changes they did make from the book (less on the Harkonens) as they needed to cut some material and make it family friendly. I will be taking my boys to see it in the theatres this week. Great movie! When's the sequel coming?
RED AG 98
AG
Agreed on the family aspect. Especially relieved with DV's decision not to depict the Baron's disgusting fetish….

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.