***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,411 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hmmm, checks calendar. July 22. I want it now.
AliasMan02
AG
I've read the book 10 times probably and am still always blown away at the massive scale of this story.
Duncan Idaho
I must not hype. Hype is the expectation-killer. Where the hype is gone, only I will remain.
Hype is the little death that brings great disappointment. I will face my hype.
I will let my hype pass through me, and when I turn I will see the path it has made in the sand and there will be only me.

*Stolen from Reddit
TCTTS
AG
This looks absolutely incredible.

Having not read the book, my only complaint is that I feel like I've basically seen the entire movie now. That trailer seemingly gave away a lot of the beats/structure.
Duncan Idaho
Wheels within wheels You have seen about 1% of the story.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, but I think we can still infer a sh*t ton about the flow and structure of the story from it. More than most trailers usually give away. I take your word for it, though, and hope I'm wrong...
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I'd be intrigued to hear what you think the movie is about based on the trailer.

Having read the book, I think this trailer did a good job of giving the look and feel of everything without giving away much story info.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Agreed. There are bigger spoilers on this thread than in that trailer. That being said, if you want to truly go in extra cold I wouldn't watch this trailer.

Also, as aforementioned, the movie looks to show stuff we only get to hear about in the book.

Were you planning to read the book, TCTTS?
TCTTS
AG
Yes, but after the movie. I want to go into the movie as fresh as possible.
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller said:

I'd be intrigued to hear what you think the movie is about based on the trailer.

Having read the book, I think this trailer did a good job of giving the look and feel of everything without giving away much story info.

It would admittedly be fun to pitch what I think, but I also don't want to examine it too much, inadvertently try to fill in any blanks, and then end up knowing even more than I already think I do.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

Yes, but after the movie. I want to go into the movie as fresh as possible.

Alright. I wouldn't watch anything else that comes out then. You'll be fine with this trailer IMO though, no harm done.
Whos Juan
AG
I also just have to say, on the surface, this movie looks like it was cast damn near perfectly.

The only exception is I'm still having trouble picturing Josh Brolin as Gurney. Kynes being a woman doesn't bother me.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
TCTTS said:

This looks absolutely incredible.

Having not read the book, my only complaint is that I feel like I've basically seen the entire movie now. That trailer seemingly gave away a lot of the beats/structure.

I finished the book yesterday. And waited to watch the trailer until this morning. You're good, there's plenty left on the bone.
Max Power
AG
Gotta see that in the theater. HBO Max isn't going to cut it.
YouBet
AG
Still hesitant to watch. I may try to go in cold.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah man, you have not seen *****
BenFiasco14
AG
I am at attention
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
TCTTS
AG
GiveEmHellBill
AG
So, they are still insisting on dropping this same day on HBO Max?

Oh, well........

R.I.P. Dune II.
Duncan Idaho
After watching this, I am surprised he agreed to do one at a time.

Such great execution of the world. The size of the highliners, the style of the thopters, the blue within blue eyes, the shields, the grandeur of Shai-Hulud. Just perfect
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm hoping/assuming that Legendary takes that into consideration when looking at the box office performance and determining if they're moving ahead.
TCTTS
AG
Warner Bros wouldn't be billing this as "Dune: Part One" - as attendees of the preview event have said this week - this late in the game, if they weren't fairly certain they're making Part Two. Now, wether or not Villeneuve comes back is a valid question. Before the HBO Max fiasco, he said there's no way he would have committed to do the first one without assurances/a plan to do the second. Then he and Nolan got pissed when they were blindsided by the day-and-date thing (something I know for a fact), and there was apparently a bit of a falling out. But I still think they've since worked their issues out, and that Part Two is happening with Villeneuve. If only because, again, re: my post a couple weeks back, he straight up told our writer on a project, who knows him well, that he's booked for the next few years, when we inquired about his availablity. So unless he has another massive blockbuster already lined up, at least a couple of those years sound like "Dune: Part Two" to me. If I had to guess, I think at this point WB is just making certain Part One doesn't completely bomb before officially moving forward.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is it Legendary or WB's decision? I assumed Legendary.
TCTTS
AG
Legendary funded 75% of the budget, WB the other 25%. But it's WB who's the distributor. Legendary can't release movies without one, as they're not a distributor themselves. In other words, the property is tied up in both companies, with Legendary having more financial stake, but WB having more sway.
heddleston
AG
Same. I love Brolin, and Gurney is probably my favorite character, but i always pictured someone uglier. Like so ugly its redemptively handsome somehow.

It's already been said fifty times, but dang they nailed the look and feel of this. The shields and thopters are just perfect.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yes from the previews and what we have seen so far I wholeheartedly agree. Looks and feels so far so much like what you read, visually and "environment" wise.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
What blows my mind is that whole amazing cast and in the last 10 seconds you get a blink and you missed it peek at Javier Bardem as stilgar, arguably my favorite character
TCTTS
AG

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
One thing we can all agree on, Anakin would ****ing hate Dune.
YouBet
AG
I watched the trailer. It was f'ing incredible.

I guess Brolin is going with Thanos voice in this as well.
hunter2012
AG
That trailer may bump Children of Dune up my reading list.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Jedi / Sith versus Muad'dib

Who wins?
Sea Speed
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Who wins?

Speaking of, I watched the trailer and this looks like a much better star wars
AliasMan02
AG
If you're new to Dune, I'll say what I've said so many times. I envy you so much. What you're about to embark on is so special. I'd give a lot to be able to experience it for the first time again. Herbert is maybe the greatest world building author of all time. He gets compared to Tolkien, and rightly so, but their storytelling styles are SOOOO different.

Tolkien meanders. He takes side trips. He pauses to tell you about the rich world, its food its languages. And he's great because of that, but that's not what Herbert does (with one exception I won't go into here).

Herbert is dense. Nothing is wasted and every word uttered (or thought) by a character has incredible weight and purpose.

Watched the trailer a couple more times and have to say is looks like DV has really captured that. This movie is HUGE. Everything about it is enormous and it looks like the insane stakes for individual characters and the larger world are really understood and delivered.

Cannot wait.
AliasMan02
AG
Sea Speed said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Who wins?

Speaking of, I watched the trailer and this looks like a much better star wars

It's Star Wars if Star Wars were fully conceived from the start and it had a brutality and severity on par with, like... The Dark Knight, maybe is a good example. There's some "hero cycle" in there. There's no question that Dune was a big influence on Star Wars.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.