***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,353 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

Please tell me a movie that is "better" than the book? .

In addition to the ones already mentioned:

The Godfather
Children of Men
Die Hard
The Shawshank Redemption
Jaws
Sphere

Ok, I was kidding about the last one
Gig-Em2003
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

$35M would be incredibly disappointing, especially with Halloween just opening to 50.

I think the word of mouth will push that up to 50-60. Here's hoping.

Taking the under on all of these numbers. Unlikely this movie will have reach beyond die hard Sci Fi fans.

Can't wait to see it though on the biggest screen I can find.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Moneyball and The Big Short. Loved both books. Movies were even better.
Sapper Redux

Please tell me a movie that is "better" than the book?

Maybe "do Androids dream of Electric sheep?"

To kill a mockingbird is "basically as good" as the book.

Lord of the Rings
Philip J Fry
AG
Hunt for red October
StinkyPinky
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Moneyball and The Big Short. Loved both books. Movies were even better.

Wolf of Wallstreet
DallasTeleAg
Sapper Redux said:

Lord of the Rings
No.
Ornithopter
AG
Jumper

Edge of Tomorrow

James Bond
Sapper Redux
DallasTeleAg said:

Sapper Redux said:

Lord of the Rings
No.

It's a joke. Let's get back to Dune.
Duncan Idaho
DallasTeleAg said:

Sapper Redux said:

Lord of the Rings
No.

Had Tom been in the movie you'd be right but since he wasnt, sapper is right.
TombstoneTex
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Lord of the Rings

You serious Clark?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Got a ticket for tomorrow night's showing. Not very many butts in the seats in this particular auditorium.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Hunt for red October
Gotta disagree. The movie was good but there was so much more in the book. No Clancy-based movie has ever been better than the books IMO, although THFRO was easily the most crowd-pleasing.
PatAg
AG
I know there was an argument that went kind of off the rails, but I do think a lot of people are still hesitant about going back to the theaters to see movies.
I imagine this being released to streaming service will tank the box office somewhat.
TombstoneTex
AG
PatAg said:

I know there was an argument that went kind of off the rails, but I do think a lot of people are still hesitant about going back to the theaters to see movies.
I imagine this being released to streaming service will tank the box office somewhat.
Agreed - only the hardcore sci-fi fans in my office are going.... most people gave me blank stares when I brought it up... a few more are streaming it.
powerbelly
AG
HYC_AG said:

PatAg said:

Agreed - only the hardcore sci-fi fans in my office are going.... most people gave me blank stares when I brought it up... a few more are streaming it.
I'm a huge Dune fan, but I probably won't make it to the theater for a few weeks to see it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

The Shining
Decay
AG
Okay so I have to say. I'm still planning to see it in theaters but logistically that's tough right now so if I have the chance to see it streaming I will. Hopefully it still counts towards the numbers and gives them room to make a second. I just don't want to miss out on the wave of discussion now that I'm caught up, you know?
TombstoneTex
AG
Decay said:

Okay so I have to say. I'm still planning to see it in theaters but logistically that's tough right now so if I have the chance to see it streaming I will. Hopefully it still counts towards the numbers and gives them room to make a second. I just don't want to miss out on the wave of discussion now that I'm caught up, you know?
Streaming, like it or not, is a reality for Dune and therefore will be a metric for it's success. It will definitely count towards how successful the movie is perceived!
PatAg
AG
Decay said:

That was what prompted my post. My friends and I are basically all planning on streaming it the first day, and then sometime in the next week or two going to see it in theaters.
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, tracking has now moved from a $35-$45M opening weekend down to $30-$35M. So it's all going to come down to whether or not that's a big enough number - in combination with the HBO Max audience - to warrant a sequel for WB.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Just FYI, tracking has now moved from a $35-$45M opening weekend down to $30-$35M. So it's all going to come down to whether or not that's a big enough number - in combination with the HBO Max audience - to warrant a sequel for WB.
TombstoneTex
AG
Haven't the markets that opened early performed really well though? Or just good reviews and not $$$?
TCTTS
AG
Yes, international numbers have over-performed. But domestically, it's looking like good reviews likely aren't going to translate to box office. I'm afraid this is just too sci-fi for most people. The tracking could always be off, though, and it sometimes is.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

It's almost like releasing it day and date on HBO Max was a bad decision.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I will say, this feels like exactly the kind of movie that would have legs in the subsequent weeks after word of mouth gets more people into theaters.

Then again...I thought Blade Runner 2049 would do well.

We shall see. What sucks is Eternals is right around the corner, so it's not like it'll have a lot of time in IMAX theaters.

But what chaps my ass is that somehow Venom 2 will likely have opened to a 3x bigger weekend than this.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Do they typically premiere shows as early as Dune was? I feel like a good number of posters here have already seen it in early showings compared to other movies.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I will say, this feels like exactly the kind of movie that would have legs in the subsequent weeks after word of mouth gets more people into theaters.

Then again...I thought Blade Runner 2049 would do well.

We shall see. What sucks is Eternals is right around the corner, so it's not like it'll have a lot of time in IMAX theaters.

But what chaps my ass is that somehow Venom 2 will likely have opened to a 3x bigger weekend than this.

Agreed. It'll at least have two weekends - this weekend and next - without a ton of competition, before Eternals. And maybe word of mouth is good enough that it doesn't see a big drop next weekend, which could really help.

Honestly, though, it might just come down to whether or not WB wants to ruin their relationship with Villeneuve or not. They've already lost Nolan, and if they don't green light a Dune sequel, which Villeneuve is already writing, he probably won't work with them again either.
TCTTS
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Do they typically premiere shows as early as Dune was? I feel like a good number of posters here have already seen it in early showings compared to other movies.

They don't. If not released the same day worldwide, movies typically release here first before they go international. So I have no idea why WB released this so early internationally, before us. Usually when that happens it's because of the World Cup, but that's obviously not going on, so who knows...
canadiaggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Champ Bailey said:

They don't. If not released the same day worldwide, movies typically release here first before they go international. So I have no idea why WB released this so early internationally, before us. Usually when that happens it's because of the World Cup, but that's obviously not going on, so who knows...

Obviously for the T-20 Cricket World Cup
The Porkchop Express
Sapper Redux said:

Lord of the Rings
javajaws
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If they would have made all the lead characters into women in skimpy clothing and then called it "Spice Girls" it probably would have a better opening weekend.

Seriously though, I totally get that some movies are just too sci-fi for the general movie going audience. Here's hoping the movie is also just a good MOVIE and people that don't normally see hard sci-fi will watch it. And maybe given the relatively few other movie options out there they might.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Phat32
AG
Just bought tickets for Sunday. Have not told the wife that we could watch it for free at home.

#she'llneverknow
TCTTS
AG
Phat32 said:

Just bought tickets for Sunday. Have not told the wife that we could watch it for free at home.

#she'llneverknow

DallasTeleAg
I mean... you don't get more Fantasy than The Fellowship of the Ring, and it was 3 hours. I understand the streaming issue will definitely have an affect, but I don't think the "it's sci-fi" thing should hinder it, that much, if audiences are praising the movie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.