***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

220,892 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
maca1028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where do I start if I know nothing about Dune?
Apache
AG
Quote:

The story is set 10000 years after the founding of the spacing guild., Which is something like 20,000 BCE

BCE means "before common era" or what we used to refer to as "B.C."
Did you mean 20,000 CE "common era" (meaning AD as we are in 2020 AD currently)?

This would mean the story is set 30,000 years in the future if you meant CE
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
maca1028 said:

If you want to see the movie with no fore-knowledge, then absolutely nothing. Otherwise, read the book. I would not recommend watching any of the earlier movie versions (David Lynch's movie that came out in '84 or the SyFy series that aired in the '00s).
Al Bula
AG
maca1028 said:

1) locate preferred bookstore (brick and mortar or online)
2) purchase book
3) read
4) The awesomeness will melt your face
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I now know who Duncan Idaho is.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
maca1028 said:

Contact YouBet, he'll act it out for you in your front yard.
Duncan Idaho
You are right. Sorry about the extra b.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I now know who Duncan Idaho is.

Me or the character?
chase128
AG
https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/04/14/sharon-duncan-brewster-confirmed-as-race-and-gender-swapped-liet-kynes-in-dune-film-heavily-implies-film-will-be-woke/

"Villeneuve would also discuss the film describing it's narrative as a critique of capitalism.""
"Villeneuve then added, "That's why I think that Dune, this book, was written in the 20th century. It was a distant portrait of the reality of the oil and the capitalism and the exploitationthe overexploitationof Earth.""

I read Dune a while ago, but I don't remember it being a critique of capitalism.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The character.
AliasMan02
AG
Dune kinda critiques everything. It's definitely critical of the promotion of corporate interests over the needs of the people. CHOAM is a pretty big villain.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
chase128 said:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/04/14/sharon-duncan-brewster-confirmed-as-race-and-gender-swapped-liet-kynes-in-dune-film-heavily-implies-film-will-be-woke/

"Villeneuve would also discuss the film describing it's narrative as a critique of capitalism.""
"Villeneuve then added, "That's why I think that Dune, this book, was written in the 20th century. It was a distant portrait of the reality of the oil and the capitalism and the exploitationthe overexploitationof Earth.""

I read Dune a while ago, but I don't remember it being a critique of capitalism.
Good Lord.
The Debt
powerbelly
AG
Nailed the casting:

Quote:

Kynes was a tall, thin man with long, sandy hair, a sparse but mussed mustache and beard and under heavy brows, eyes that were fathomless blue-within-blue.
So ****ing dumb:

Quote:

Brewster added, "This human being manages to basically keep the peace amongst many people. Women are very good at that, so why can't Kynes be a woman? Why shouldn't Kynes be a woman?"
rfvgy12
AG

Getting excited about this movie. I have an entire library of Dune books and The Dune Encyclopedia
“If one side is protesting racism, then the other side is counter protesting racism.” @thekellenmond
In response to pro Sul Ross statue protesters and fellow Aggies.
Duncan Idaho
A YouTuber did a great profanity laced run down of this sentiment and I agree with him. Leit being a chick makes more sense.

TCTTS
AG
Holy sh*t, this guy is my hero. This is exactly how I feel like responding when a handful of posters here melt down like snowflakes at the dumbest non-controversies.

Yes, SJWs are bad. But anti-SJWs are worse. This dude nails it.

As a non book reader, this spoiled a couple of minor things for me, but whatever. I'm not complaining at all, because it was totally worth it.
PatAg
AG
There are some characters where changing the sex or age makes a huge difference. Also, imo, there are some where the race makes a huge difference but I'm willing to overlook it if its to cast an amazing actor (aka not just for the sake of doing it).
powerbelly
AG
I think he is correct on many points. The main problem I have is not that a woman was cast, but rather the bull**** reasons why they wanted a woman. If he had said that she nailed the role and deserved to be cast there would be no issue from many.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Kynes was written in the novel as a male. The reasoning behind changing Kynes to a female reeks of bullcrap we see every day in politically-led statements and movements. Still, changing the gender for this character is not dissuading me from seeing the movie in the slightest, given the director's track record. And I've seen such a change work before when the Sci-Fi Channel changed Starbuck to a woman in Battlestar Galactica.

My issue with the the post above was not the gender swap, but the director speaking of the book as a critique of capatalism. I've read the book a couple of times, many years ago, and am currently re-reading it. I've never once seen anything in Herbert's words that gave me a thought that he was critiquing capatalism. Political cronyism, sure. Hollywood sure seems to have a big hard-on about destroying capatalism, something I first noticed when Michael Ironside uttered some line in Starship Troopers about "the failure of capatalism".
Bird Poo
AG
I want to say some of the follow up books touched on capitalism and environmentalism? Mining spice for thousands of years was the reason Arrakis became an arid wasteland full of spice producing worms?
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
the book is definitely a critique of capitalism. and i say this a pretty dyed in the wool libertarian capitalist. doesnt take away from the enjoyment of the novel nor my excitement for the film. its probably more appropriate to say that the novel is a critique of exploitation, but to ignore the business/capitalistic aspects of that exploitation is to be willfully ignorant.

also, the novel plays a lot in the "gender dynamic" and gender role sandbox, obviously written from a 1960s POV. so, in order to adapt the novel to be appropriate and speak to the respective gender roles and dynamics of the 2020s, it makes a ton of sense to change Kynes to a female. i dont think it was a bull**** reason this time around. not to say in other films and roles it wasnt done, it absolutely has. far too often. but i think to be critical this time around is to just be reactionary and presume those changes are always done for bull**** reasons. but when the source material is so laden with themes and allegories that deal with this and other pretty heavy ideas, written 60ish years ago, it becomes virtually necessary to update that to reflect the current dynamics.
----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Duncan Idaho
This guy also had the right attitude

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2812788/replies/55556966
Max Power
AG
Decided to give the book a go, had it on my list for a while. Enjoying it so far. Anyone considering it should give it a chance. Definitely like the casting so far of Oscar Isaac as the Duke, Momoa as Duncan Idaho, Brolin as Gurney, and Javier Bardem as Stilgar. Those picks all seem just about perfect. I'm not too deep into the story yet, they've been on Arrakis for a short time.

I'm a Villeneuve fan, loved Blade Runner 2049, and Sicario is one of my favorite movies of the 2010's, something I can watch over and over and enjoy every time. Just feels like he's the perfect guy for this story.
The Debt
It's kinda funny. POC have been claiming "appropriation" when you have whites being cast as ethnic people, but you idiots seem to have no problem "appropriating" roles and casting blacks over whites, females over males.

Rather than find compelling stories focused on POC or women, they just basturdize source material to fit their politics.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
PearlJammin said:

I want to say some of the follow up books touched on capitalism and environmentalism? Mining spice for thousands of years was the reason Arrakis became an arid wasteland full of spice producing worms?
I only read the first sequel, didn't enjoy it at all and punted on the idea of reading any of the others.
Duncan Idaho
Dune Messiah was great. Then the sequels get weird....and then Marty shows up
swood
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I seem to remember that they got weird and then you kept showing up.
PDWT_12
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I really enjoyed Messiah. Particularly the second half after it really picks up storywise.

Have been putting off Children for a while now but I do plan on reading it.

Just don't feel as much interested in the twins story as I did Paul's
Scruffy
AG
PearlJammin said:

No.

The worms sandtrout vector encapsulates the water on a planet, eventually turning the planet into a desert in which the worms can roam.
The spice (if I remember correctly) is formed when the sandtrout "blow" and become the worm.
This is what happened to chapterhouse after they saved the one small worm from Dune before the matrons destroyed it.

The main goal of the God Emperor was to finally break humans free from the enslavement of their past and allow them to actually make decisions on their own without it being foreseen by anyone. True freedom.
Which we finally see at the very end when Duncan pilots the no-globe ship around the trap/net set by the advanced face dancers and into the great unknown free from those who would predict/know any outcomes.
Quad Dog
AG
I always recommend people read the first 4 books in order to fully understand the Golden Path that Paul fears so much. God Emperor of Dune (The 4th book) is so different and weird from the rest of the books, I love its different style.
The 5th and 6th book are still good, but I view them as a different story.
Quad Dog
AG
Do it, Paul's son is such a BA.
Duncan Idaho
I remember one time back in the old days (pre-9/11) referring to a competitor as launching a jihad . The only 2 people that got the reference were the developers that had read the Dune series.
Al Bula
AG
I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone what a f ckstick Brian Herbert is for getting rich off his crap prequel and sequel series. Family fan fiction garbage. Not many things can get my blood boiling like Brian Herbert.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Dune is a critique of Big Corporations and how they mistreat things for greed or pure profit. This is not the same thing as a critique of capitalism but way too many people put the two together.

But Dune also critiques fanatical religion, and hereditary lines of succession. Computers, Technology, .......

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.