***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,370 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
RikkiTikkaTagem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was thinking the male being the pinnacle of an all female religion
YouBet
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

I was thinking the male being the pinnacle of an all female religion
Oh snap.
schmidthead
I think it's more about the jihad and religious fanaticism.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
schmidthead said:

I think it's more about the jihad and religious fanaticism.

You mean from the perceived "good guys?"
schmidthead
Yes
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
schmidthead said:

Yes

Have you read the next books? That is kind of why I said perceived.
schmidthead
No and that's a fair point that I indirectly acknowledged in my original post.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
schmidthead said:

No and that's a fair point that I indirectly acknowledged in my original post.

Paul is going to try and deal with this as the books go. He acknowledges the issues
BenFiasco14
AG
YouBet said:

bobinator said:

Cmon man this is TexAgs, let it fly. If you're for committing genocide on native populations just let it out.
I assumed it was going to be a water rights debate, but genocide will sometimes generate some backlash as well.

Something something smallpox large
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Paul mansplaining the weirding way, prana bindu, and voice command to the Bene Gesserits... //feminists offended by fictional SciFi
Duncan Idaho
BenFiasco14 said:

YouBet said:

bobinator said:

Cmon man this is TexAgs, let it fly. If you're for committing genocide on native populations just let it out.
I assumed it was going to be a water rights debate, but genocide will sometimes generate some backlash as well.

Something something smallpox large

Igetthisreference.jpg
Redstone
AG
Will there be 2 threads, spoiler and non?
Mathguy64
AG
Redstone said:

Will there be 2 threads, spoiler and non?

Are you incapable of hitting the "New Topic" button and starting one?
TCTTS
AG
Eternals and Nomadland director, Chloe Zhao...

TCTTS
AG
A few new shots/bits of dialogue in these...

COAg15
AG
I'm sure this has already been discussed, but I haven't searched through the other pages. Does someone who doesn't know anything about the plot of Dune, need to read the book? Been discussing the idea of reading book 1 with some friends, but have heard conflicting reviews.

Obviously would plan on seeing the movie, but is the book worth it?
TombstoneTex
AG
Haha this is one of those "tell me you haven't read the last two pages of this thread without telling me you haven't" moments.

A few posters just got done discussing this and I think the general consensus is the movie should be clear enough without having read the book but you might find it more enjoyable if you read it. So leaning towards recommending reading first.

ETA: my brain skipped over your first sentence where you specifically said you hasn't read the other pages. Whoops.
Quad Dog
AG
COAg15 said:

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but I haven't searched through the other pages. Does someone who doesn't know anything about the plot of Dune, need to read the book? Been discussing the idea of reading book 1 with some friends, but have heard conflicting reviews.

If the movie is going to be successfull, then no you don't need to read the book. Just like reading Harry Potter or LOTR wasn't required.
The movie can't cover everything in the book, some characters will be omitted or combined. You won't get the full history of people, places, or items. For example, similar to the history of the main characters' swords was glossed over in the movies, but is a bigger deal in the books of LOTR - there's a lot of history and lore around Crysknives that probably won't make it into the Dune movie beyond "They have cool special knives!"

Go read Dune. It's amazing. Probably the best and most influential science fiction book ever written. One of my favorite books that I think I've read around 6 times. I've read the entire series around 4 times. I pick up new things everytime. It's got politics, religion, action universe shattering consequences and actions.
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

What kind of work crap is this? House Atreides the heros?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Quad Dog said:

COAg15 said:

If the movie is going to be successfull, then no you don't need to read the book. Just like reading Harry Potter or LOTR wasn't required.
The movie can't cover everything in the book, some characters will be omitted or combined. You won't get the full history of people, places, or items. For example, similar to the history of the main characters' swords was glossed over in the movies, but is a bigger deal in the books of LOTR - there's a lot of history and lore around Crysknives that probably won't make it into the Dune movie beyond "They have cool special knives!"

Go read Dune. It's amazing. Probably the best and most influential science fiction book ever written. One of my favorite books that I think I've read around 6 times. I've read the entire series around 4 times. I pick up new things everytime. It's got politics, religion, action universe shattering consequences and actions.

Quad Dog
AG
Thanks for the spoilers IGN. The main characters are the heroes?
IGN also spoiling that Leto II isn't in the movie, because he's not exactly a hero.
Quad Dog
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I didn't see anyone else start a spoiler thread so I caved:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3216729
Duncan Idaho
Quad Dog said:

Thanks for the spoilers IGN. The main characters are the heroes?
IGN also spoiling that Leto II isn't in the movie, because he's not exactly a hero.

Disagree...he is the hero we deserve.
Redstone
AG
Please keep spoilers to the spoiler thread. It's not polite to write on this topic otherwise.
Quad Dog
AG
Then why does your namesake try to kill him with each new cloning?
Claude!
Duncan Idaho said:

TCTTS said:

You could parse that statement. Those are the heroes of the House, but not necessarily heroes as in good, upstanding people.
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
Claude! said:

Duncan Idaho said:

TCTTS said:

You could parse that statement. Those are the heroes of the House, but not necessarily heroes as in good, upstanding people.

Who would be the outstanding people then? Are you saying you're on team Harkonin? Certainly not with a name like Dunkin
Claude!
El Hombre Mas Guapo said:

Claude! said:

Duncan Idaho said:

TCTTS said:

Who would be the outstanding people then? Are you saying you're on team Harkonin? Certainly not with a name like Dunkin
Look, all I'm saying is that Shaddam IV is the Emperor and can do no wrong.
Duncan Idaho
Ixians are the true heros.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I need a BB8 cameo when Duke Leto is walking down a hallway.
TombstoneTex
AG
If another delay means it's released exclusively to theaters and not to HBO max simultaneously then I may be for it in the interest of increasing the possibility of a second movie.
YouBet
AG
HYC_AG said:

If another delay means it's released exclusively to theaters and not to HBO max simultaneously then I may be for it in the interest of increasing the possibility of a second movie.

Does anyone want to see Venom though? I might rent that in 2027.

Dune has a built in multi-decade scifi base.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
YouBet said:

HYC_AG said:

Let there be Carnage will be a movie I watch for 15 minutes on TNT in 2025 during an extended injury timeout during Sunday Night Football.
YouBet
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

YouBet said:

HYC_AG said:

Let there be Carnage will be a movie I watch for 15 minutes on TNT in 2025 during an extended injury timeout during Sunday Night Football.
Mond probably already thrown 6 TDs by that injury timeout.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.