***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

220,678 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It felt incredibly rushed and like half a movie to me. To each their own. I felt like the pace should have been slowed at the beginning a little bit with some more back story.
Formerly tv1113
oragator
I agree on the first half hour, but the last hour felt long to me.
Not that it's remotely in this same ball park as a film, but the 1984 film covered the entire book in 2:20. Just find a middle ground. 3:40 (1.5 times the 1984 length) for the book means two 1:50 or so movies. Heck even twice as long and this was 20 minutes shorter.

Part of that is my own general bias to be fair, 2 hours or so is when movies always start feeling long for me, even if I like them. At some point it becomes a task and not an escape.

If others enjoyed the length or thought it was about right, that's cool. And as I said, I liked it. Just wasn't blown away by it and the length played into that.
Again, JMO.
The Dirty Sock
Remember the tooth….the tooth….the tooth….
A is A
AG
Still bummed the dinner scene was not in the movie. Really enjoyed the politics of that scene.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Still bummed the dinner scene was not in the movie. Really enjoyed the politics of that scene.

It was a great scene in the book... to have included it in the movie would have added more complexity to civilization on Arrakis... ie it's more than just Fremen. IMO you would have needed another 10-15 minutes of run time to do it justice, but I'm not sure what you would have cut.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

It was a great scene in the book... to have included it in the movie would have added more complexity to civilization on Arrakis... ie it's more than just Fremen. IMO you would have needed another 10-15 minutes of run time to do it justice, but I'm not sure what you would have cut.

The weird glances at each other when Paul and Jessica are getting into their still suits.
AliasMan02
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

We're relatively sure they filmed it. I'm convinced we'll see it before we get Part 2.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think they did. There are a number of deleted scenes confirmed but I haven't seen any evidence that this is one of them.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't think they did. There are a number of deleted scenes confirmed but I haven't seen any evidence that this is one of them.

Lots of the early cast photos were clearly from that scene, per my memory. Obviously that doesn't mean they necessarily filmed the scene, but they were at least fast enough along to have costumes and all that made.

Maybe I'm just hoping.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I thought TCTTS posted something on this thread with a deleted scene from it. He may not have know it was this scene though.
TCTTS
AG
I'm telling you guys, I've followed the deleted scene stuff pretty closely, and I'm 95% certain they didn't film it.
TCTTS
AG
So, it seems we're both right. There was clearly some kind of "formal gathering" filmed, but it likely wasn't the full-on dinner scene from the book…

TCTTS
AG
Premiering in a couple minutes. May shed some more light on it…

Duncan Idaho
Give it all to me. NOW!!!!!

If there is a 3,4,5 hour cut, I want to see it
TCTTS
AG
The sheer number of deleted scenes, combined with no IMAX release for home/digital (and not even an explanation as to why), makes me think some kind of mega special three-hour+ IMAX home/digital cut could indeed be coming before Part Two. I know Villeneuve said the theatrical cut *is* the director's cut, but they could easily call this something different.
Decay
AG
So I just finished book two and am working on three. While I admit I was curious about how they're going to pull off part two... I have basically no idea how the second book can possibly be a movie.

Wasn't there a thought that Denis would stop on book two? It seems a bad place to stop.
AgLiving06
I just finished book 2 as well. Would be a very different style movie.
Decay
AG
I'm almost done with three. What the **** is happening
Flatlander
Decay said:

What the **** is happening
You best stick that line back in your pocket and save it for when you get to book four.
Al Bula
AG
I could see how other movies get made for the subsequent two books, but there will be lots of lifting from fan fiction garbage by Frank Herbert's son and Kevin Anderson. There is a lot of material, both original and garbage fan fic, to make hours of movies.

Given my distaste for this adaptation I will decline any future movies past the next until i am bored and need something else to infuriate this board about.

I happen to like all 6 of the original Herbert books and appreciate them as great novels in their own right.

Kudos to folks reading past Dune. Those are not the same styles and harder to get through, but I find them rewarding and have new perspectives upon re-reads every 2-3 years.
TyHolden
AG
Flatlander said:

Decay said:

What the **** is happening
You best stick that line back in your pocket and save it for when you get to book four.
what are the books? i read the book saying it was a major motion picture book (2021). 50% of it covered the recent movie. what other books are there?
heddleston
AG
Frank Herbert wrote six Dune novels:
Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

There's a messload of other ones written by his son and Kevin Anderson as well. Let's just go ahead and pretend those never happened.
TyHolden
AG
heddleston said:

Frank Herbert wrote six Dune novels:
Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

There's a messload of other ones written by his son and Kevin Anderson as well. Let's just go ahead and pretend those never happened.
what books covered the recent movie?
TCTTS
AG
The first book - Dune - is being split into two movies. The movie that released in October of last year covered the first half of the book, then the movie that releases in October 2023 will cover the second half of the book. These movie are officially titled Dune: Part One and Dune: Part Two, but only comprise the first book.

Then, the director has said that he's going to take a few years away from the franchise to make other movies, while the actor who plays Paul - Timothee Chalamet - grows older/matures, and will then adapt the book Dune Messiah into a third and final movie in the franchise, completing his Dune cinematic trilogy.
TyHolden
AG
thanks
YouBet
AG
I still think making Dune Messiah and ending it there is a bold and risky move. It's a slow read.
Decay
AG
Yeah I'm on four now. I just realized something. (Big spoiler for book three)
In the movie we see the vision of Paul fighting in the desert where his armor slides up from his face... That's actually Leto in the worm skin suit? Or at least Paul havings vision about wearing it but he doesn't choose that path?

edit again: I just rewatched it and the armor is mechanical so nope. Nevermind!
Bird Poo
AG
Decay said:

Yeah I'm on four now. I just realized something. (Big spoiler for book three)
In the movie we see the vision of Paul fighting in the desert where his armor slides up from his face... That's actually Leto in the worm skin suit? Or at least Paul havings vision about wearing it but he doesn't choose that path?

edit again: I just rewatched it and the armor is mechanical so nope. Nevermind!

That is an incredible fight scene. There are visions of Jamis teaching him the Fremen way, but he ends up killing Jamis. Perhaps he's envisioning another future? Paul "in the zone" where he can anticipate every move of his enemy - I cannot wait to see an extended version of him kicking some Sardukar ass

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.