*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

382,925 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here we go.

TCTTS
AG
I've seen the word "masterpiece" already used multiple times in just the few review headlines I've seen so far...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Page 66

AgMarauder04
AG
Give it a rest, dude.
TCTTS
AG
It was obvious you hadn't seen it, but you were being a super weirdo in the way you were talking about everything, and then also being needlessly instigating. Just have a normal conversation with us.
AGGies0311
You're right, I'm sorry
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"Generationally unifying".

This excites me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You know the way you posted you wanted to instigate, and you could've clarified in a single post.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Glowing, (and seemingly) spoiler free review here

OKTC The Last Jedi Review
The Collective
AG
Harloff says he went from about 7.5 to 9 out of 10 from his first to his second viewing. Also, he mentioned that the music mixed some old (both OT and even some PT) with new themes.
jokershady
AG
I want to look and stay away....but damnit I just can't.

Definitely not watching any reviews yet
AgMarauder04
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Also, he mentioned that the music mixed some old (both OT and even some PT) with new themes.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Naturally, I went to the negative reviews. Here are the summaries.

Quote:

Put simply, The Last Jedi is lodged several parsecs up its own black hole.
Quote:

For those hoping that there may have been a substantial uptick in quality between J.J. Abrams's The Force Awakens and Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi-in much the same way that The Empire Strikes Back improved on Star Wars-you may need a new hope.
Quote:

Falsely epic, uselessly lyrical.
Quote:

So many elements in Episode VIII are recycled that it could have been called Rerun of the Jedi.
Quote:

But gradually, Johnson's many additions become too much of a good thing and The Last Jedi grows crowded, busy and long.
The Collective
AG
I hope it means we get Kylo Ren riding on a Naboo cow.
AGGies0311
I thought that was a tick
AgMarauder04
AG
AgMarauder04
AG
I do that too...get it out of the way before moving to positive.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
94%

Although, 100% from Top Critics, fwiw.
AgMarauder04
AG
I often wonder on blockbusters how many critics go in with the intention of panning a movie.

The Collective
AG
RT score interests me, but there are Star Wars people telling me this is a great SW film. I choose to trust the people who care about it as much as I do.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Well, here's a negative review from those pretentious ****** bags at Variety.

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/star-wars-the-last-jedi-review-rian-johnson-1202635597/
Quote:

As it turns out, although "The Last Jedi" meets a relatively high standard for franchise filmmaking, Johnson's effort is ultimately a disappointment. If anything, it demonstrates just how effective supervising producer Kathleen Kennedy and the forces that oversee this now Disney-owned property are at molding their individual directors' visions into supporting a unified corporate aesthetic
Quote:

But Johnson was either strong enough or weak enough to adapt to such pressures, and the result is the longest and least essential chapter in the series.

That doesn't mean it's not entertaining. Rather, despite the success of "The Last Jedi" at supplying jaw-dropping visuals and a hall-of-fame-worthy lightsaber battle, audiences could presumably skip this film and show up for Episode IX without experiencing the slightest confusion as to what happened in the interim.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

least essential chapter in the series.
Hey, I bet people said the same about Empire. "Nothing happens" except Han gets frozen.

Not worried.
Buck Compton
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Well, here's a negative review from those pretentious ****** bags at Variety.

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/star-wars-the-last-jedi-review-rian-johnson-1202635597/
Quote:

As it turns out, although "The Last Jedi" meets a relatively high standard for franchise filmmaking, Johnson's effort is ultimately a disappointment. If anything, it demonstrates just how effective supervising producer Kathleen Kennedy and the forces that oversee this now Disney-owned property are at molding their individual directors' visions into supporting a unified corporate aesthetic
Quote:

But Johnson was either strong enough or weak enough to adapt to such pressures, and the result is the longest and least essential chapter in the series.

That doesn't mean it's not entertaining. Rather, despite the success of "The Last Jedi" at supplying jaw-dropping visuals and a hall-of-fame-worthy lightsaber battle, audiences could presumably skip this film and show up for Episode IX without experiencing the slightest confusion as to what happened in the interim.

For some reason, I seriously doubt that...
vwbug
A little worried we are going to get politics slammed down our throat from looking at a couple of these reviews. I really hope not and would be disappointed if that happens.
Malachi Constant
AG
EJECT! EJECT! EJECT! (From thread)

/revision/latest?cb=20150408104721
The Collective
AG
vwbug said:

A little worried we are going to get politics slammed down our throat from looking at a couple of these reviews. I really hope not and would be disappointed if that happens.

People read into movies what they want. Remember the reviews before Rogue One.
FTACO97
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Quote:

For those hoping that there may have been a substantial uptick in quality between J.J. Abrams's The Force Awakens and Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi-in much the same way that The Empire Strikes Back improved on Star Wars-you may need a new hope.
Quote:

Quote:

So many elements in Episode VIII are recycled that it could have been called Rerun of the Jedi.
Quote:

But gradually, Johnson's many additions become too much of a good thing and The Last Jedi grows crowded, busy and long.

And TCTTS wonders why some of us are leery of movie critics....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Got a kick out of this.
wangus12
AG
These reviews

wangus12
AG
CJS4715 said:

RT score interests me, but there are Star Wars people telling me this is a great SW film. I choose to trust the people who care about it as much as I do.
TCTTS
AG
FTACO97 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dude. Come on. As cliched as you think certain critics might be (and I'm not saying they're not) , PLEASE don't be the people bashing critic reactions to a movie you haven't even seen yet. That's one of the lamest, most cliche fanboy practices around. That's the kind of crap insane DC fanboys revert to on Twitter when a critic tweets that they didn't like Batman vs Superman a week before it's in theaters. And sure, the quality of the movie/franchise is so much higher in this case, but still. Don't become a cliche while bashing a cliche.
TCTTS
AG
And for the record, this is the all-time snootiest of snooty critics, and even he liked it...

FTACO97
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

Dude. Come on. As cliched as you think certain critics might be (and I'm not saying they're not) , PLEASE don't be the people bashing critic reactions to a movie you haven't even seen yet. That's one of the lamest, most cliche fanboy practices around. That's the kind of crap insane DC fanboys revert to on Twitter when a critic tweets that they didn't like Batman vs Superman a week before it's in theaters. And sure, the quality of the movie/franchise is so much higher in this case, but still. Don't become a cliche while bashing a cliche.
I wasn't trying to be argumentative, meant it tongue-in-cheek....

But after all the reactions you've posted from Twitter, etc from people you respect that are glowing...then you read those comments, they just sound like people who go into it planning to find fault....all I was saying...
TCTTS
AG
I hear you. And they very well might be doing just that. I'm not saying they don't deserve to be called out, I'm just saying at least wait until you've seen the movie for yourself until calling them out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.