*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

387,151 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
AgMarauder04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

3rdGen2015 said:

If I remember correctly, in the TFA thread we waited until the New Year to bring spoilers back. That gave everybody time to see it around holiday travel/family get togethers/etc.
This was in the "big" Star Wars thread, not the TFA thread. I think in this specific thread, spoilers will likely be fair game starting on the 14th. (Though spoilers tags would still be nice.)

I'll make a post on the other thread asking people to leave spoilers off it until New years.
Spoiler tags for early discussions makes sense, but if you come here AFTER it's released and see a spoiler, that's your own damn fault.
jr15aggie
AG
Casting my vote: I agree... this is the thread for TLJ. I expect to see lots of posts before, not so much during, and after the movie. Fair game.

The Star Wars thread should be kept safe until new years.
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

3rdGen2015 said:

If I remember correctly, in the TFA thread we waited until the New Year to bring spoilers back. That gave everybody time to see it around holiday travel/family get togethers/etc.
This was in the "big" Star Wars thread, not the TFA thread. I think in this specific thread, spoilers will likely be fair game starting on the 14th. (Though spoilers tags would still be nice.)

I'll make a post on the other thread asking people to leave spoilers off it until New years.
I agree. Leave it off the main thread till New Years like last time, but this thread should be far game after the 14th. No point in making a new TLJ thread when we are at nearly 60 pages here
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/star-wars-the-last-jedi-14-things-we-learned-w513392

Cool article. Enjoyed hearing that Daisy cried when hearing JJ was back for IX.

Also, this.
Quote:

11. Mark Hamill learned a major lesson from Johnson. "At times, I'd say to Rian, 'We gotta think of what the audience wants,'" Hamill says. "And he'd say, 'No, we've gotta think of what we want.' Which is a learning process for me."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Totally down with making this the spoiler thread on the 14th.

I'll be coming straight here after I watch it.
TCTTS
AG
I really dig that approach. This thread becomes the spoiler thread on the 14th and the main Star Wars thread becomes the non-spoiler, general reaction thread same day. In the meantime, I'll post Twitter reactions here starting on the 9th, but no spoilers whatsoever (until the 14th). And will of course remind everyone again on the day.
mazag08
AG
Thanks TCTTS.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/star-wars-the-last-jedi-14-things-we-learned-w513392

Cool article. Enjoyed hearing that Daisy cried when hearing JJ was back for IX.

Also, this.
Quote:

11. Mark Hamill learned a major lesson from Johnson. "At times, I'd say to Rian, 'We gotta think of what the audience wants,'" Hamill says. "And he'd say, 'No, we've gotta think of what we want.' Which is a learning process for me."

That is going to be the difference between a movie that panders to fans and a movie that respects fans.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly. And that's probably what JJ is talking about in point #1. He's heard the criticisms and wants to try something new with Ep IX.

I don't think anyone can say that TFA was an outright bad movie. The characters, acting, cinematography, CGI - everything was top notch. Ultimately, it was just too much of an echo of ANH for a lot of people. But you take that same team and tackle a fresh story that takes a new direction, and we're almost guaranteed a great movie to finish out this trilogy.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed 100%.
The Collective
AG
Cool with the idea. Perhaps a mod will assist in updating the thread title with SPOILERS ALLOWED once we get to next Thursday.
TCTTS
AG
I'm almost certainly going to regret saying this, but want to call my shot before reactions start coming in just in case...

The Best Picture race is wide open this year. To the point where critics have seen literally every candidate by now and nothing has emerged as a front-runner yet. Lady Bird and Call Me By Your Name are the two closest probably, with Phantom Thread, The Post, and Dunkirk kind of lingering as well, along with a couple others. But there's not a strong push for any of those titles, and this is the first year in a long time where a single movie or two doesn't have a clear edge at this point.

Point is, if - and that's a big IF - The Last Jedi somehow ends up being a transcendent Star Wars movie, the kind where, say, Mark Hamill has an incendiary performance, and the material elevates the film to something more than just a blockbuster, there's a small chance The Last Jedi could swoop in and take Best Picture. In other words, if ever there was a year something like this could do it, this is it.

Again, people are more than likely going to end up laughing at this idea come next week, but it's a thread to be mindful of come Saturday when reactions start dropping. Should they be genuinely, truly through the roof - and stay that way for 24 hours or so, after everyone has cooled down - a Star Wars movie might actually have a shot at taking the cake come March.
AgMarauder04
AG
I don't think there is a single poster on this thread that doesn't want this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Most agree that Star Wars was robbed at the '78 Oscars. Now the Academy gets its chance to make up for it.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Now that we're just under a month out, any predictions for opening weekend and total box office?

For reference, TFA opened at $247M and finished at $936M and RO did $155M and $532M. (Domestic)

I'm going to go with $200M opening and $850M total.
Boxoffice.com posted their initial projections.

Currently they have $210M opening, $690M total.

Oddly, I feel that it'll open slightly lower but finish higher.
wangus12
AG
Saul Goodman
AG
I agree. If this movie ends up being as good as we think it will be, it should get a ton of repeat viewings. I'm predicting $205 to open, $825 total.
Urban Ag
AG
is that domestic?
Urban Ag
AG
I think predicting it's possible for the Last Jedi to be in the Oscar hunt isn't that big of a stretch at all. I have no Hollywood/industry basis that drives that but I do understand money. Whatever the Disney execs saw simply amazed them. So much so that they handed Rian the keys to the kingdom. A full new trilogy could be $6 billion worldwide in ticket revenue alone. You just don't make that commitment unless they were absolutely floored by the screening.

This fact alone took my interest in the Last Jedi from about a 5 to nearly a 10. I am getting really excited. Saw a few short clips on Disney channel the other day passing by the TV and it just looks amazing. And I just have this feeling that Hamill has had this role percolating within him for 34 years, ready to hit the screen in all it's glory. Pretty cool to think that the pinnacle of his career was the OT but in fact it could turn about to be TLJ.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep.
jr15aggie
AG
Of course I'm biased and would love to see a Star Wars movie win best picture, but IMO Hollywood / The Oscars really needs this right now.

Ratings of the event are way down and Hollywood in general is currently trying to hide its black eye. The Oscars hasn't helped that in recent years. To many viewers, the event and the stars come across as pompous jerks. They sometimes get way too caught up in the "this is art" bull crap and forget that most of their income is from regular folks who just want to see something fun and entertaining.

It's time for the Oscars to put a fun movie in the spotlight again IMO... just feels like a smart PR move.
Mort Rainey
TCTTS said:

I'm almost certainly going to regret saying this, but want to call my shot before reactions start coming in just in case...

The Best Picture race is wide open this year. To the point where critics have seen literally every candidate by now and nothing has emerged as a front-runner yet. Lady Bird and Call Me By Your Name are the two closest probably, with Phantom Thread, The Post, and Dunkirk kind of lingering as well, along with a couple others. But there's not a strong push for any of those titles, and this is the first year in a long time where a single movie or two doesn't have a clear edge at this point.

Point is, if - and that's a big IF - The Last Jedi somehow ends up being a transcendent Star Wars movie, the kind where, say, Mark Hamill has an incendiary performance, and the material elevates the film to something more than just a blockbuster, there's a small chance The Last Jedi could swoop in and take Best Picture. In other words, if ever there was a year something like this could do it, this is it.

Again, people are more than likely going to end up laughing at this idea come next week, but it's a thread to be mindful of come Saturday when reactions start dropping. Should they be genuinely, truly through the roof - and stay that way for 24 hours or so, after everyone has cooled down - a Star Wars movie might actually have a shot at taking the cake come March.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jr15aggie said:

Of course I'm biased and would love to see a Star Wars movie win best picture, but IMO Hollywood / The Oscars really needs this right now.

Ratings of the event are way down and Hollywood in general is currently trying to hide its black eye. The Oscars hasn't helped that in recent years. To many viewers, the event and the stars come across as pompous jerks. They sometimes get way too caught up in the "this is art" bull crap and forget that most of their income is from regular folks who just want to see something fun and entertaining.

It's time for the Oscars to put a fun movie in the spotlight again IMO... just feels like a smart PR move.
I remember an interview with Neil Patrick Harris on Howard Stern last year, who said something very similar about TFA. (He was hosting them that year.)

Would be really great to see.

I can't even think of the last big-time blockbuster to win it. Was it Return of the King?
The Collective
AG
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I think so. Return of the King in 2004.
Urban Ag
AG
When's the last time they nominated a "fun" movie for best picture? District 9 in 2009? I don't really follow the Oscars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Although, you could argue La La Land was a "fun" movie.

Actually, The Martian as well.
TCTTS
AG
Mad Max: Fury Road. 2016 Oscars. Nominated for Best Picture and won a few more.
vwbug
Will the fires in California have an effect on the premiere this weekend?

http://www.starwars.com/news/watch-star-wars-the-last-jedi-red-carpet-live-at-starwars-com
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Still think Dark Knight deserved it over Slumdog.
Urban Ag
AG
yeah clearly I don't pay much attention, looked it up on Wiki, seems like there is a "fun" movie nominated every, every other year. Fury Road certainly = fun movie.
TCTTS
AG
I seriously doubt it. The premiere is about as far away as can be from the fires, at The Shrine Auditorium which is basically downtown LA, next to USC. It would take an Armageddon-level event for the fires to make it that far, or to cut off any major arteries leading to that area. I'll put it this way, if the fires make it that far, the vast majority of Los Angeles will be engulfed and evacuated, myself included. That said, if the fires happen to somehow strike the west side tonight (the opposite side of town from downtown), where I am, when the winds pick up, maybe they cancel all big events out of respect. But again, that would be unprecedented and a national emergency would likely be in effect.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.