*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

382,959 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
americathegreat1492
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welp, that about confirms it.
AgMarauder04
AG
vwbug said:

I believe there is another media screening later today.
THANK YOU. That was my question. I think in the reaction tweet video above, they had said Monday.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CoachRTM
AG
WARNING -

Got an email from Alamo Drafhouse last week, apparently the run time was changed slightly, which made them alter the show times forward or back in some cases.

My movie got moved up 20 minutes.

I haven't heard of any other movie theaters have this issue, but I figured I would post just in case. Would hate to be the guy that showed up 20 minutes into the movie.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Seemed mixed to negative on his first go around, just FYI.
Saul Goodman
AG
Interesting. I think this reinforces the notion that this movie takes a lot of risks with the storylines, something that we haven't really seen since Ep. 5.
Silvertaps
AG
TCTTS said:

Seemed mixed to negative on his first go around, just FYI.
So this is what bipolar looks like?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS - Since your finger is on the pulse much more than me on this kind of thing, does the reaction so far feel about on par with the initial reaction to TFA? Or was there more criticisms right away for TFA?
TCTTS
AG
There were definitely more criticisms with TFA. Or, rather, the luster wore off a lot faster with TFA. Here's what I posted late Saturday night...

Quote:

Well there you go. The hype machine is fully and officially engaged. Looks like we've got a winner on our hands. I vividly remember the initial reactions to TFA and these are considerably better. In the wake of TFA's premiere, you could feel people masking the flaws, despite the mostly glowing reactions. These reactions, however, come off as much more genuine and enthusiastic, despite a couple of very minor but honest complaints, if you can even call them that. Cannot wait!

Since then, I've seen two mixed reactions, which I posted yesterday. Otherwise, I really do feel like the overall reaction is not only more positive, but is staying positive, if that makes sense. People don't feel like they have to like it simply because it was "fun" and the first Star Wars movie in 12 years. With TLJ, there's a much more genuine reaction that really seems to be resonating.
TCTTS
AG
And I should clarify that TFA's reactions never really veered into negative, obviously. When I say the luster wore off a lot faster, you could just tell within a matter of hours of those first reactions dropping that people were starting to admit its flaws. A lot of "It really is great, but..." that same night, after the first wave. But I still haven't seen that happen with TLJ. No one's going back and clarifying their initial, glowing reactions. If anything, people were doubling down on their enthusiasm the next day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Totally missed that post earlier.

That is really great to hear. The fact that people are saying even better things on subsequent viewings is huge. I feel like this might be one of those movies that you may like on first viewing, but it continues to grow on you over time, just like happened with Empire for a lot of people.

I wonder if this might translate to bigger box office from rewatches. Especially with Moviepass being a thing now, which wasn't the case with TFA. (And the fact that you get unlimited times to watch a movie now.)
Belton Ag
AG
My Star Wars nerd daughter and I started with TPM last Thursday, one a day until Friday night when we go see TLJ. Last night was Rogue One, what a great Star Wars movie. Tonight is ANH and looking forward to the next couple days of watching.

I haven't seriously sat down and watched Episodes 1-3 in long time; when TFA came out I skimmed through them and let my daughter watch them in full. They're growing on me a little I guess because I wasn't totally repulsed by them this time around (well, maybe a little by ATOC).
jr15aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Holy crap Phasma and Chewy are MASSIVE people IRL!!!!!

To the comments above talking about some people liking it more 2nd time around... sounds like this movie is going to put us in the gauntlet. System overload, too much "that just happened" to process.

Good thing for me I'm going opening night and then going back Friday with the entire family!
TCTTS
AG
Few more reactions from this morning's screenings...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Review embargo lifts:
Tuesday, December 12 at 11:00 AM CST
Calling my shot. 98% on RT by end of day tomorrow.
3rdGen2015
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TCTTS said:

Review embargo lifts:
Tuesday, December 12 at 11:00 AM CST
Calling my shot. 98% on RT by end of day tomorrow.
93% or bust.
TCTTS
AG
Goin with 97%.
Sapper Redux
95%. Biggest complaint is a lack of sufficient Porgs.
wangus12
AG
93% Perfection.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Damn wife. She bought tickets for Friday night, great seats. I told her to check her email because of the incorrect running time. She bought tickets to a theater in St. Louis. We don't live in St. Louis. Now sitting in first row.
Jason Ag
AG
I just bought tickets for Sat. We decided to split up vs the front row. Group of guys, can't really do that with the wife though. Hope you can get a refund. Good luck!
Living Legend
AG
Bought tickets for a Thursday 7pm showing as well as a Saturday morning showing. Can't wait!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How did she manage that? And was it the wrong movie, too?

Sucks you get front row though.
TCTTS
AG
Ok. This is the one.

David is a critic I've followed for years and his disinterest in blockbusters is legendary. I usually fall in lock-step with his takes on indies and Oscar fare, but this is a man who could not care less about Star Wars, Marvel, DC, etc. - you name it. He sees them all, and in his defense, when he likes one he cops to it and explains exactly why. He's not a super snob or anything like that.

However, if HE'S into this movie THIS much, we best prepare ourselves...

TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Guy who recently lost his father...

TCTTS
AG
(In case it wasn't apparent, a critic's screening in NY recently let out.)
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saul Goodman
AG
Mother of God. These reviews are over the top.
wangus12
AG
TC,

Based on only the reviews we've seen, still possible for a Best Picture?
The Collective
AG
Good. Good. I can feel the hype swelling in me now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.