*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

384,221 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess you could fathom that Luke paid Plutt a hefty sum of money to keep her safe and unharmed until she was old enough to go off on her own. Then force choked Plutt to near death and warned what would happen if anything happened to the girl. Hey it's Star Wars.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Well I just thought of this while sitting at work reading this. What if Rey was hidden by the dark side away from Luke?

Just like Luke and Leia were hidden from the emperor, what if the dark side, Snork or even Kylo if he took her from Luke when he betrays him, hides her from Luke. That would still explain why Kylo, Snork, and even Han and Leia know here, or at least think they know who see it. The girl with so much potential they lost. And explain why she is with a villian.
boogieman
AG
That was the video equivalent of a run on sentence.
3rdGen2015
AG
Urban Ag said:

I guess you could fathom that Luke paid Plutt a hefty sum of money to keep her safe and unharmed until she was old enough to go off on her own. Then force choked Plutt to near death and warned what would happen if anything happened to the girl. Hey it's Star Wars.
Like one Millennium Falcon worth of money?
Belton Ag
AG
Urban Ag said:

OK but why that guy? There must be a multitude of guys in the galaxy who he probably doesn't have to pay off or force choke to hide her with. It would be like he went out of his way to find the most untrustworthy person he can find and risked her safety in doing so.
FTA03
AG
Maybe Kylo took Rey to Jakku to eventually train her as his apprentice and overthrow Snoke.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hah, Snork.
The Collective
AG
Sadly, the Plutt character seems to have been given the following thought process by Abrams... "what character can I create for my buddy to be in Star Wars".
Malachi Constant
AG
All I know is that video made me realized Lucas missed a great opportunity in Attack of the Clones to have a lightsaber-building scene with Anakin.

If that lightsaber is really going to be that important, then it ought to have an origin story too.
Belton Ag
AG
CJS4715 said:

Sadly, the Plutt character seems to have been given the following thought process by Abrams... "what character can I create for my buddy to be in Star Wars".
Unfortunately that may be the case. I guess we'll find out in December.
Flashdiaz
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

All I know is that video made me realized Lucas missed a great opportunity in Attack of the Clones to have a lightsaber-building scene with Anakin.

If that lightsaber is really going to be that important, then it ought to have an origin story too.
it took this video for you to realize Lucas missed a great opportunity?
AliasMan02
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Pretty sure that's not even the lightsaber. He gets that one crushed in the droid factory, right? Been a while.
Capitol Ag
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Blatant Disregard said:

it took this video for you to realize Lucas missed a great opportunity?
Ya, the entire series of prequels was a missed opportunity by Lucas.
Urban Ag
AG
Belton Ag said:

Urban Ag said:

OK but why that guy? There must be a multitude of guys in the galaxy who he probably doesn't have to pay off or force choke to hide her with. It would be like he went out of his way to find the most untrustworthy person he can find and risked her safety in doing so.
I'm just spit-ballin man, I don't know.

Plutt could be the new version of having Leia kissing Luke on the mouth.

I'm going to step out on a limb and say this. Dropping little five year Rey off to Plutt is so freakin bad that I have to believe they already mapped it out a few years ago and it's going to make sense at some point. It has to. Otherwise, it's the equivalent of a battered wife/mother hiding her child with her toothless, second cousin, Billy Don, who runs a used tire shop in Beaumont, and isn't supposed to be left alone with children.
Ag Since 83
AG
This is the franchise of "hey let's hide the kid with the only living relatives of the person we're hiding him from....in the house where he has visited them previously!"

There are probably 1138 explanations for her being with Plutt that make more sense
Cromagnum
AG
dromo07 said:

not sure if spoiler but

I have seen a couple of places saying that there will be a time jump during the movie. I wonder what purpose it serves? will it be to further Reys training with less screen time? Maybe a Rocky working out montage and Kylo on the flip side of it

I don't think that is true. Lots of sources were saying this will be the first SW movie to pick up right where things left off.
512Ag
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

This is the franchise of "hey let's hide the kid with the only living relatives of the person we're hiding him from....in the house where he has visited them previously!"

There are probably 1138 explanations for her being with Plutt that make more sense
Kenobi knew Luke was safe with his aunt and uncle because of the sand. All that coarse, rough sand that gets everywhere.
Belton Ag
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

At least the relatives themselves in that case aren't dangerous to the existence of the kid.
Carlo4
AG
It's a sentence...

The Force Awakens The Last Jedi...
AgMarauder04
AG
PDEMDHC said:

It's a sentence...

who partakes in shenanigans?
3rdGen2015
AG
PDEMDHC said:

It's a sentence...

From the Grave. Mace Windu is alive 100% confirmed.
TCTTS
AG
I think I agree with the basic thesis of that video, but it's yet another one where the narrator breathlessly breaks down his theory, making some fairly big leaps that he deems concrete that are really anything but. I honestly couldn't even understand half of it, though, as it just wasn't very well presented.

That said...

- How did I miss the treasure chest connection? Is Maz's treasure chest really the same chest that Obi-Wan pulls the lightsaber from in A New Hope? It makes sense, but how did I never hear that connection made until now? Truthfully, I didn't remember Obi-Wan pulling that lightsaber out of any kind of chest or box until now.

- I really hope Lor San Tekka was there on Jakku to watch over Rey in some way. Especially since he knew Luke so well. But yeah, same deal - for whatever reason, I had never connected the map to Luke being so close to Rey to start out the movie. Surely that's not coincidence.

- I also really hope that the Falcon was left for Rey in some way as well. I've complained about the coincidence before of it just randomly being there - and Han happening to be relatively close by when she does - but at least half of that complaint would be eliminated if the Falcon was essentially traded to Unkar Plutt by whoever dropped Rey off (Luke?), knowing Rey might have a need for it someday (even if that meant steeling it from Plutt).

Overall, if TLJ were to someone address/answer all of the above, I'd be pretty happy.
TCTTS
AG
Forgot about this exchange, though. Unless Platt lied about where he got the Falcon, and unless Luke (or whoever dropped off Rey) stole it from Ducain, it definitely wasn't left for Rey...

TCTTS
AG
Just did a bit more research. I have a ton of Blu-rays digitized to an external HD, including all the Star Wars movies, and took the best screenshots I could get, and amped up the brightness. It's similar, yes, but definitely not the same chest (the hinges are different, as are the ridges on the top, along with a few other distinguishing design elements)...

TCTTS
AG
So, with minimal research, it wasn't hard at all to debunk two points made in that video. The Falcon one is more passing speculation on his part, sure, but the more important one being that it was the same chest, which is what seemed to tie a big portion of his theory together (though, again, it was still kind of confusing).
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

with her toothless, second cousin, Billy Don, who runs a used tire shop in Beaumont, and isn't supposed to be left alone with children.
That's a very specific example. You know Billy Don?
OnlyForNow
AG
I was gonna ask him if we were long lost cousins...
LeonardSkinner
Belton Ag said:

Quote:

with her toothless, second cousin, Billy Don, who runs a used tire shop in Beaumont, and isn't supposed to be left alone with children.
That's a very specific example. You know Billy Don?

There's a Billy Don in every family. Look around, if you don't know who it is, it's you.
Dro07
AG
Not talking about the beginning of the movie. More like movie starts where it left off... stuff happens... more stuff... time jump... then we go on with more stuff
Malachi Constant
AG
You're correct. He loses the first one at the droid factory. Then he gets thrown one at the pit geonosis. Whose was that?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Maybe finding an appropriate footlocker is part of the padawan training like making you lightsaber is part as well . The wood is from a special type of tree. Note Qui-Gons chest had grey code symbols on it
Flashdiaz
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

You're correct. He loses the first one at the droid factory. Then he gets thrown one at the pit geonosis. Whose was that?

That guy stopped at the Jedi supply closet on his way out.
AliasMan02
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

If you only watched the prequels, you'd think that lightsabers are just stock items that are totally interchangeable. They're constantly getting lost, destroyed, lent, and borrowed.

And run out of power once, even, right? At the beginning of TPM when they first land on Naboo after stowing away on the droid carrier? Doesn't Obi-Wan need to get bailed out by Qui-Gon because his lightsaber is dead?
wcb
AG
Watched TFA again this morning.

Snoke referred to Luke as "the last Jedi". Didn't know if that had been mentioned yet. Seems like a no brainer as to who the new tile references.

I gotta believe Rey's a Solo and thus has Skywalker blood. When Leia and Luke were born they were unaware of twins until the birth, correct? My new hypothesis is that Leia is not awake at the birth of Rey / Ben (aka Kylo); Luke (and maybe Han?) decides to hide Rey.

And the dude with the map that's killed in the opening scene of TFA? He was Rey's Obi Wan. Watching from a distance.

Sorry if any of this is old speculation. Otherwise fire away.
Flashdiaz
AG
wcb said:

Watched TFA again this morning.

I gotta believe Rey's a Solo and thus has Skywalker blood. When Leia and Luke were born they were unaware of twins until the birth, correct? My new hypothesis is that Leia is not awake at the birth of Rey / Ben (aka Kylo); Luke (and maybe Han?) decides to hide Rey.

Maybe Leia lost the will to stay awake.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.