*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

383,138 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

How many days until I have to really work to avoid spoilers on the web?

I think the premiere is Saturday, December 9. Likely when a lot of critics will see it as well. Seeing as Disney allowed Twitter reactions of TFA immediately following the premiere, that's probably the day to go dark if you want to know absolutely nothing. If you're seeing it the night of the 14th, that's five full days of reaction/spoiler avoidance.
TCTTS
AG
twilly
AG
As far as the general public, some places in the middle east and Europe get to see it on the 13th.
I'm setting up my personal blackout on Tuesday 12/12.
TCTTS
AG
The Collective
AG
I am going on Friday night, not Thursday. So, I'll have a full day of real life spoiler avoidance as well. I think that I am prepared for that piece but trying to figure out when to play it safe on the web.
Duncan Idaho
@-@ is correct.

https://shirt.woot.com/offers/at-at
3rdGen2015
AG
I'm liking the look so far from the stills. Hopefully it translates well to the big screen.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
CJS4715 said:

How many days until I have to really work to avoid spoilers on the web?

I'm going on 36 lockdown on Thursday the 14th in the morning.

My tickets are Friday 7:45pm.

The Collective
AG
Intriguing quote from Adam Driver (there is another that I will leave off this board):

Quote:

"If I had that job, I would be stressed out. To pick up where someone left off and carry it forward, but also introduce a vocabulary that hasn't been seen in a Star Wars movie before, is a tall order and really hard to get right. He's incredibly smart and doesn't feel the need to let everyone know it."
AgMarauder04
AG
CJS4715 said:

Intriguing quote from Adam Driver (there is another that I will leave off this board):

Quote:

"If I had that job, I would be stressed out. To pick up where someone left off and carry it forward, but also introduce a vocabulary that hasn't been seen in a Star Wars movie before, is a tall order and really hard to get right. He's incredibly smart and doesn't feel the need to let everyone know it."

Post it in spoiler tags or the link?
G Martin 87
AG
BernArnold said:

lol....pretty simple "rule" on Acronyms....vs. Initialism

Acronym - if it's pronounceable it often/usually becomes the pronounced word.....thus "at-at"....

Initialism - but if it is not really pronounceable as a word it stays as the letters ...like "AT-ST"...you can't say "atst" very easily.

thus you have pronounced acronyms:
SCUBA
SIM card
LASER
RADAR
ZIP code
OPEC
RAM
HUMVEE although its spelled HMMWV but that was too hard to say as letters also
SNAFU
AWOL

and others that are just the letters cuz you can't make it sound like a word easily
CIA
FBI
DVD
IBM

and some that are combinations:
CD-ROM

Yes! Here is what my favorite grammarian and medical writer (Edith Schwager) has to say on the subject in her Medical English Usage and Abusage:
Quote:

Just any old initialism or abbreviation consisting of all capitals cannot be termed an acronym. Acronyms are upper crust. To make the grade as an acronym, the item, whether or not all caps, must be capable of being pronounced as a word.
The Collective
AG
Read TCTTS' RS link above - it's not anything crazy, but it does make one pause for a bit.
Saul Goodman
AG
TCTTS said:

They have made vast improvements to Snoke's look from TFA, based on the images we've now seen. His portrayal as a huge hologram was one of my few big complaints from that movie.
Flashdiaz
AG
Saul Goodman said:

They have made vast improvements to Snoke's look from TFA, based on the images we've now seen. His portrayal as a huge hologram was one of my few big complaints from that movie.
Why exactly is a huge hologram a big complaint?
Saul Goodman
AG
Didn't find his character compelling. His look was very "CG", and as the big bad, he should have an element of realism. Being a hologram isn't itself lame, but the execution of him was. He looked to belong more in a Harry Potter movie than Star Wars.
TCTTS
AG
In 100% agreement.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thursday at 6 pm ET for me. I'll be avoiding all social media that whole week, most likely.
TCTTS
AG
Is that when the review embargo lifts? I haven't seen mention of it yet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No idea, but seeing as it premieres on Saturday Dec 9, I'll be avoiding social media that whole subsequent week leading up to Thursday night.

Can't be too careful.
TCTTS
AG
Man, I am seeing conflicting reports all over the place. Some reports have the Japanese premiere as early as Wednesday, December 6, while others are saying the Los Angeles "World Premiere" is either Friday, December 8... Saturday, December 9... or Tuesday, December 12. But then another report has the European premiere set for Tuesday, December 12 as well. I can't find any official confirmation of any of these dates, and reputable outlets are all conflicting. If anyone can find any OFFICIAL dates/announcements - like something from starwars.com or an actual press release - please post.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

No idea, but seeing as it premieres on Saturday Dec 9, I'll be avoiding social media that whole subsequent week leading up to Thursday night.

Can't be too careful.

Are you going to ban yourself from RT or will you check the score?
Coog97
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Can't be too careful.
The Mrs. and I board a cruise ship at midday on Saturday the 9th. We're back on dry land on Saturday the 16th... all I have to do is make it less than 24 hours with my head deep in the sand ahead of an early afternoon viewing on Sunday the 17th.
jokershady
AG
I feel the general public did a good job not spoiling TFA and I wasn't really trying to avoid anything (wasn't looking for info either).

Do y'all think as far as fans go there's more respect for the movie and experience that this isn't spoiled like other movies?
TCTTS
AG
I think so. And yeah, I didn't really see anyone spoil anything between the premiere and opening night last go around. Just general reactionary talk in which a few minor plot details were revealed, but nothing beyond that.
Cromagnum
AG
Meh, Rey is a Palpatine. YouTube said so.

The Collective
AG
Did any of you watch the Rian Johnson interview yesterday that Spilner posted? Rian said one of the changes he requested for TFA was that R2 go to the island with Rey & Chewie instead of BB-8. Has he talked about that in the past? I wonder if there is any significance to that other than a Luke / R2 reunion.
TXAG 05
AG
Why would BB-8 go with them? It belongs to Poe
The Collective
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Why would BB-8 go with them? It belongs to Poe

I agree, but Rian said that's the way it was originally.
Flashdiaz
AG
Maybe Rian just didn't think it made sense and it annoyed him
The Collective
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Maybe Rian just didn't think it made sense and it annoyed him

He figured R2 could get around the island better since he can fly or is that only allowed in the prequels?
MGS
Why would they need to bring a droid?
Flashdiaz
AG
MGS said:

Why would they need to bring a droid?
to fix stuff and hide lightsabers.
Buck Compton
AG
That serves to remind me how truly awful the prequel fight scenes were.

The Jedi were so slow to react, Palpatine just stand the first one without protest
aggiephoenix02
I just got 2 tickets for 6pm Dec. 14th! Extra swag fan package, $50 for both, WooHoo!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.