*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

382,979 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CJS4715 said:

What a badass scene.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
True. But let's not forget the next line. And we know what happened there.
redline248
AG
Luke will not be a scared b.tch in this movie. Come on
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Star Wars (the main story) has always been....and will always be...a SKYWALKER story. Lucas said that more than once. I don't believe thats changed.

That was of course not so obvious in TFA as it was mostly about others....but it was really setting up the eventual adversaries and finding Luke.

His finale won't come until episode IX because it's his story (especially now that Leia has passed).

Flashdiaz
AG
BernArnold said:

Star Wars (the main story) has always been....and will always be...a SKYWALKER story. Lucas said that more than once. I don't believe thats changed.

That was of course not so obvious in TFA as it was mostly about others....but it was really setting up the eventual adversaries and finding Luke.

His finale won't come until episode IX because it's his story (especially now that Leia has passed).

true.

but this guy is also a Skywalker:

jokershady
AG
Flashdiaz said:

BernArnold said:

true.

You suggesting that Han Solo let his only son take his mother's last name?

That's some millennial crap right there.
Flashdiaz
AG
jokershady said:

Flashdiaz said:

BernArnold said:

true.

Han didn't exactly have much authority over Ben to tell him to do anything.

besides, it's in his midichlorean blood man.
Jason Ag
AG
Belton Ag said:

Quote:

I don't believe anyone (whoever) did leave her with Unkar Plutt.

Remember the beginning of the movie....who was very nearby....Lor Sen Takka (played by Max Van Sydow) a a non force sensitive believer in the Jedi and a follower of The Church of the Force who clearly knew Ben/Kylo and Leia and was loyal to the family. He studied history and searched for artifacts. He's the one who of course found the segment of the map leading to Luke.

If you think thats just a coincidence well....not sure what to tell you.

What they wanted to make you think was THAT was his only purpose. But I believe he was the one protecting young Rey. similar to Obi Wan (Ben) Kenobi being nearby overlooking Luke on Tatooine. They would not want Rey directly with him if he were found or someone were suspicious. But nearby enough that he could keep tabs on her....and perhaps Unkar owes him some debt so he reluctantly agrees to employ her basically but not give her enough rations so that she can never escape.

You quite clearly see Unkar with her when she is left in her memory or vision of it, but you could only se one side of her. I believe Lor was there as well on the other side out of frame of that conveniently close shot.

Now that still does not necessarily say WHO left her there....but I don't think it was simply with Unkar. She was better protected than that at least until he was killed and the Order came looking for the droid, etc.
I always believed that Max Von Sydow was there close to Rey for a reason and not because of a coincidence, and it could very well be that Rey is the child of Han and Leia and was put there for a good reason. What I have trouble with is if that were the case, then Unkar Plutt was a totally baffling choice of a caretaker. It would seem that Abrams and Kasdan just threw him in there to add backstory to Rey; to give her background one of adversity and hardship because Plutt is no lovable grouch, he's a straight up bad dude. They even went as far as filming a scene for the Force Awakens where Plutt travels to Maz' palace to confront Rey and kidnap her, and in the process he gets his arm ripped off by Chewbacca. If he were "in on it" why would he have shown up and tried to take her right in front of Han Solo? I realize they deleted the scene, but why would they have written the scene to begin with?

Lor had to know what a scoundrel Unkar was, why not just keep her in his village with a family there?

If she was "Unkar's girl" then the other scoundrels would leave her alone out of fear of him.

1. Luke lands the Falcon.
2. Luke walks into Unkar's building and Unkar orders him killed.
3. Luke quickly cuts the guards down.
4. Luke tells him that he must keep a small child hidden and "if so much as a hair is damaged on her, I will return and kill the @!$@# out of you".
5. Tells him, that he has eyes watching him.
6. Leaves him the Falcon, and takes another ship.

This scenario could also work for Kylo instead of Luke. But Sydows presence seems weird for that. Maybe Kylo knew he was there all along.

MGS
jokershady said:

Flashdiaz said:

BernArnold said:

true.

His hero, Grandpa Anakin, took his mother's last name.
MandoArms
MGS said:

jokershady said:

Flashdiaz said:

BernArnold said:

true.

His hero, Grandpa Anakin, took his mother's last name.

Because he was a virgance in the force and didn't have a dad!?!

Or possibly because Snoke was his father but did a smash and dash and she never caught his last name....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248 said:

Remember how Mark Hamill "fundamentally disagreed with virtually every decision" Rian made about his character?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't think it's so much about name as it is about bloodline.

Kylo has Skywalker blood, thus he's a Skywalker.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

redline248 said:

Remember how Mark Hamill "fundamentally disagreed with virtually every decision" Rian made about his character?
I don't think he'll be "afraid", but I do think he will be wary, despaired, and maybe slightly deranged... kind of like King Theoden before Gandalf "awakened" him from Sarumon's influence... though obviously it's his own psychological issues that got him trapped in despair/derangement.

Think about it: Luke learned he was the Galactic Prime Henchman's son. His mentor sorta lied to him about it and hid the fact that he had a twin sister from him. Then Luke made a decision that he had to confront his own dad and try to turn him. In the effort, he takes on two Sith Lords, and gets them to turn on each other. He "saves" his dad, but also loses him in the next 5-10 minutes.

Afterward, he starts this grand idea of a Jedi Academy to try and resurrect the order. It goes very badly in the end, and his own nephew turns baddy on him. His best friend / brother-in-law abandon's his sister because of the catastrophe that Luke sorta created. I am sure there was at least some unspoken blame from Han and Leia for Luke letting their son slip to the dark side ... So he goes to search out meaning and guidance from old Jedi ruins and temples, only to discover: whoopsie, the Jedi had it wrong all along and the (Ancient Order of the Whills) AOW left some text guidance saying there really is no dark or light.

He's mind-F'ed right now - mentally unwell or unstable. And needs to get it right and find a new path.
AGGies0311
Unkar was not meant to watch her... that dude sold her out to the first order basically
V8Aggie
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

redline248 said:

I don't think he'll be "afraid", but I do think he will be wary, despaired, and maybe slightly deranged... kind of like King Theoden before Gandalf "awakened" him from Sarumon's influence... though obviously it's his own psychological issues that got him trapped in despair/derangement.

Think about it: Luke learned he was the Galactic Prime Henchman's son. He's mentor sorta lied to him about it and hid the fact that he had a twin sister from him. Then Luke made a decision that he had to confront his own dad and try to turn him. In the effort, he takes on two Sith Lords, and gets them to turn on each other. He "saves" his dad, but also loses him in the next 5-10 minutes.

Afterward, he starts this grand idea of a Jedi Academy to try and resurrect the order. It goes very badly in the end, and his own nephew turns baddy on him. His best friend / brother-in-law abandon's his sister because of the catastrophe that Luke sorta created. I am sure there was at least some unspoken blame from Han and Leia for Luke letting their son slip to the dark side ... So he goes to search out meaning and guidance from old Jedi ruins and temples, only to discover: whoopsie, the Jedi had it wrong all along and the (Ancient Order of the Whills) AOW left some text guidance saying there really is no dark or light.

He's mind-F'ed right now - mentally unwell or unstable. And needs to get it right and find a new path.
Ummm... spoiler alert!
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't think it's so much about name as it is about bloodline.

Kylo has Skywalker blood, thus he's a Skywalker.
Just a bad joke on my part.

Emo Ren obviously has genes of both parents.

Oh!!! But wouldn't this be the first offspring of a couple who's mother was force sensitive instead of the father???

What if Hans genes dominated over Leias and we find out Ren only got subpar Force Juju from Leia?

And what if....ah screw it I'm getting dumber the more I continue down this spiraling drain of stupid.
Urban Ag
AG
what other name was he supposed to take when the "father unknown" box was checked on the Tatooine birth certificate?
Urban Ag
AG
Great theory Spreadsheet. Luke learns there really is no light or dark side of the Force, it's just the Force. Comes to the conclusion that Jedi would justify their righteousness because of their adherence to the "light" and the Sith justified their own ruthless quest for power by adhering to the "the dark side".

Interesting.
Charlie Delta
Urban Ag said:

Great theory Spreadsheet. Luke learns there really is no light or dark side of the Force, it's just the Force. Comes to the conclusion that Jedi would justify their righteousness because of their adherence to the "light" and the Sith justified their own ruthless quest for power by adhering to the "the dark side".

Interesting.

I really hope the story is headed toward Luke being a gray jedi. I want Luke to use force lightning so badly.
Flashdiaz
AG
Urban Ag said:

Interesting.
exactly, it's a manipulation of the force either way you cut it and the justification is a subjective point of view.

Flashdiaz
AG
Charlie Delta said:

Urban Ag said:

Interesting.

I really hope the story is headed toward Luke being a gray jedi. I want Luke to use force lightning so badly.
out of one hand at least...
fightinags2013
AG
From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.
jokershady
AG
THEN YOU ARE LOST!
Liquid Wrench
Urban Ag said:

what other name was he supposed to take when the "father unknown" box was checked on the Tatooine birth certificate?
Skywalker is a lot snappier than "Anakin Midichlorians."
512Ag
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Urban Ag said:

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

"Huh? Oh, the uniform. I'm Luke Midichlorians I'm here to rescue you!"

"You're who?"

"I know. It's a terrible name."
MGS
Well, to be fair, the name 'Skywalker' probably sounded funny in 1977.
The Collective
AG
Urban Ag said:

Why not Lars?
redline248
AG
CJS4715 said:

Urban Ag said:

Why not Lars?
Shmi didn't meet Lars until way after Anakin left
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AggieDem said:

ChiliBeans said:

Urban Ag said:

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

"Huh? Oh, the uniform. I'm Luke Midichlorians I'm here to rescue you!"

"You're who?"

"I know. It's a terrible name."
This made me chuckle. Well done.
Mathguy64
AG
Urban Ag said:

Sand. If he were living on Hoth it would be Snow.
wangus12
AG
fightinags2013 said:

Anakin was such a ****
MGS
wangus12 said:

fightinags2013 said:

Anakin was such a ****
The Jedi had just tried to overthrow the democratically-elected leader of the Republic because he followed a religion that they didn't agree with.
jr15aggie
AG
After my initial viewing of TFA, I sorta assumed Rey would be a Skywalker and would hook up with Finn eventually. Finn doesn't have a last name so any offspring would be called Skywalker and Episodes 10-12 would continue with the next gen Skywalker(s).

Seems like a legit possibility still. Rey is a super strong force user and Finn is a warrior... kids will have good Jedi genes with anger/fear/etc. mixed in there for future drama. Plus they've already shown an affectionate friendship between them.
AGGies0311
Finn and Poe are definitely gay for each other
AliasMan02
AG
I'm not sure Rey's adventures will tie up by Episode 9. This arc will, of course, but I think the eventual next saga may well continue her adventures with a selection of associated characters.

I don't think her TFA arc ends with her finishing a love story. I think it ends with her finding a larger family and some belonging. "The belonging you seek is not behind you, but ahead." I think the perfect ending to Rey's story is a stable life surrounded by friends and an adopted family, even if that stable life is somewhat large due to her being a Jedi (or whatever). They head out to find the next adventure together.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.