*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

377,077 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
AGGies0311
How long do you want to ignore this user?
100% Leia Dies..

Smoke isn't going to Die

POE/FINN/REY/ REN are safe for a while

AgMarauder04
AG
AGGies0311 said:

100% Leia Dies..

Smoke isn't going to Die

POE/FINN/REY/ REN are safe for a while

Well, the actress who plays Leia died....that's not really a reach.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Simplebay said:

100% Kylo is not being killed in this movie.

90% Kylo is never getting redeemed

75% luke dies in this movie

60% Poe dies

55% Snoke dies

100% Leia dies.....at least before Episode IX.

Sorry.
TCTTS
AG
Leia isn't dying. She was to have a much-expanded role in Episode IX and Johnson is on record as saying they didn't alter her fate after Fischer passed. I think she'll get more of a slightly ambiguous send off rather than going back to definitively kill off her character in reshoots.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

Leia isn't dying. She was to have a much-expanded role in Episode IX and Johnson is on record as saying they didn't alter her role/fate that much after Fischer passed. I think she'll get more of a slightly ambiguous send off rather than going back to definitively kill off her character in reshoots.
You think maybe a off screen death and honor her in IX?
TCTTS
AG
Something along those lines. Or she lives and they address her death - potentially between movies - in the opening crawl or opening scene of IX.
Dro07
AG
Off screen death would suck but would be understandable.
Carlo4
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

The way Han looked at her throughout the movie proved he knew her and was keeping a secret.
I don't think you quite understand what the word "proved" means.

Hopefully this image works...

Might be saying it wrong, but that look tells me he knows her. It's when they were going to meet Maz and the beginning of her awakening. He knew the ramifications of taking her there.
TCTTS
AG
I took that look as him feeling sorry for this girl who has never seen trees/plants/grass before. My point is, it's ambiguous and not even remotely pointing one way or the other.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

Something along those lines. Or she lives and they address her death - potentially between movies - in the opening crawl or opening scene of IX.
Pure conjecture and my opinion doesn't matter, but for such a cosmic presence as Fisher was, some ambiguous "she's sick and not here" just seems an injustice to her.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
dromo07 said:

OHHHH Dirty Island Rey!!!
Ah the good ol' days of LOST.
Urban Ag
AG
redline248 said:

I have zero expectation of redemption for Kylo.
I so hope you're right.

Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

I took that look as him feeling sorry for this girl who has never seen trees/plants/grass before. My point is, it's ambiguous and not even remotely pointing one way or the other.
fair enough but just a few minutes later Maz asks Han who the girl is and responds "we'll talk about that later" or something to that effect.

Plus Maz seems to know about her past. And Maz tries to get her to take the lightsaber. Why if she or Han or both don't know more about her than just feeling sorry for her?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

TCTTS said:

Pure conjecture and my opinion doesn't matter, but for such a cosmic presence as Fisher was, some ambiguous "she's sick and not here" just seems an injustice to her.

she could be taken out early in IX in an Alderaan like way. kinda fitting in a dark way.....

the (latest) super weapon destroys the planet she is on. perhaps someone trying to make contact with her before that happens, send a message to indicate to the audience she is there and then it gets blown up.

Flashdiaz
AG
I think Leia will disappear like yoda in Ep IX.

and why can't Kylo be redeemed, because he killed Han Solo?

Anakin murdered a bunch of young kids (effectively going to a day care and killing them with a sword).
TCTTS
AG
I hear you. But at the same time she might not ever die in these movies. For all we know, they could have her retire to some random planet by the end of TLJ or at the beginning of IX, and conclude her story that way.

I'm just saying...

- She was to basically be the focus of IX. At least among the original three. This is the exact quote from Mark Hamill last week: "You're going to really love her in (The Last Jedi). I know they're going to try and find a way to close her story in (Episode) 9 that gives her the respect she deserves, because (Han Solo) was more prominent in 7 (The Force Awakens), Luke's a little more prominent in 8, and certainly Leia was meant to be more prominent in 9."

- And here's the quote from Rian Johnson last month: "We don't adjust what happens to her in this movie. She gives a beautiful and complete performance in this film. Emotionally, you can't help recontextualize [Fischer's death], now that she's gone. But I felt very strongly that we don't try to change her performance."

So, putting two and two together, knowing she completed filming months before her death... Leia doesn't die in TLJ, and they're figuring out a respectful way to "close her story" in IX without resurrecting her via CGI (something that was also confirmed in recent months).
Urban Ag
AG
Kylo certainly can be redeemed, I just think a lot of folks, myself included, think it's kind of cheesy. It's literally like SS Nazis' flipping sides at the end and all is forgiven.

My prediction is that Kylo goes hard core kill em all in TLJ while still wrestling with his inner demons and then in Ep IX at some point turns against the First Order and dies in some sort of suicide take out Snoke, take out something, type of deal, probably to save Rey.
Flashdiaz
AG
Urban Ag said:

Kylo certainly can be redeemed, I just think a lot of folks, myself included, think it's kind of cheesy. It's literally like SS Nazis' flipping sides at the end and all is forgiven.

My prediction is that Kylo goes hard core kill em all in TLJ while still wrestling with his inner demons and then in Ep IX at some point turns against the First Order and dies in some sort of suicide take out Snoke, take out something, type of deal, probably to save Rey.
oh I didn't say he'd live. I agree that he'd have to sacrifice himself. But now we're basically retreading Vader's redemption arc.
Maybe he should let Rey kill him to push her to the dark side just to spice things up a bit.
Urban Ag
AG
Maybe I'm jaded or just not that creative but I almost don't see how they don't re-trace, at least to some degree, Vader's redemption route.

The only difference I see so far is that Vader didn't flirt returning to the light until the very end whereas Kylo has been struggling since mid way thru TFA
Charlie Delta
I'm really dissapointed that Snoke is going to be CGI. They made Palpatine look really cool with make up effects. Why change that for this movie?
TCTTS
AG
Agreed, but based on that single shot from the trailer, that's at least some legit amazing CGI.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seriously. It's even beyond Avatar.
redline248
AG
Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

fair enough but just a few minutes later Maz asks Han who the girl is and responds "we'll talk about that later" or something to that effect.

Plus Maz seems to know about her past. And Maz tries to get her to take the lightsaber. Why if she or Han or both don't know more about her than just feeling sorry for her?
No, we never hear/see any of Han's answer to Maz. What you're thinking of is when he asks Maz where she found the lightsaber she says "a story for another time."

Maz feels the force and senses that Rey can too. She is trying to push Rey to accept the force and go find Luke b/c "the only fight that matters is the one against the dark side."

edit: For the record, when I first watched the movie I kept thinking Han knew who she was...but then they just left it hanging, and now I'm not sure.
Carlo4
AG
TCTTS said:

I saw it that way the first time, but, on the second viewing, I'm in line with UrbanAg in questioning the motive. We will find out in a few weeks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

No, we never hear/see any of Han's answer to Maz.
I always find this interesting. Something going on there, otherwise why show nothing there.
AliasMan02
AG
Anyone who "knows" who Rey is in TFA (excluding Luke), which is Kylo for sure and possibly Han, Maz, and Snoke, seems to know her as a concept and not as an individual. Like they had heard a story or a prophecy that they're trying to figure if she fits or not. They have a suspicion of who or what she MIGHT be.

This is particularly evident in the novelization when Kylo proclaims in the battle in the snow, "it IS you...".

I have no idea what Luke does or doesn't know about her.
Urban Ag
AG
you are correct. Just got up from my desk and fired up the DVR. thanks
AGGies0311
Then explain the force back where the Knights of Ren are killing Jedi
AliasMan02
AG
AGGies0311 said:

The Knights of Ren aren't killing Jedi, or at least we don't see them do so. The only person you see Kylo kill was a "villager" or some such thing.
3rdGen2015
AG
AliasMan02 said:

AGGies0311 said:

The Knights of Ren aren't killing Jedi, or at least we don't see them do so. The only person you see Kylo kill was a "villager" or some such thing.
I believe that guy was credited as "Clan Leader"
AGGies0311
Ren has the nickname Jedi Killer......
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

I always find this interesting. Something going on there, otherwise why show nothing there.

I've always found it a bit odd as well. I think because of all the eventual negativity from the internet, I just decided to write it off as a JJ misdirection... but in reconsideration, there is obviously something there.
redline248
AG
CJS4715 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

I've always found it a bit odd as well. I think because of all the eventual negativity from the internet, I just decided to write it off as a JJ misdirection... but in reconsideration, there is obviously something there.
On the one hand it feels like something JJ did intentionally to make fans take notice and do what we're doing...saying "something's up with that."

On the other hand, when Maz goes down to find Rey after the vision she says "Han told me about Jakku" and the how she's waiting on people. So we could assume he told her just that. Rey is a loner from Jakku they picked up tracking the Falcon.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
redline248 said:

CJS4715 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

On the one hand it feels like something JJ did intentionally to make fans take notice and do what we're doing...saying "something's up with that."

On the other hand, when Maz goes down to find Rey after the vision she says "Han told me about Jakku" and the how she's waiting on people. So we could assume he told her just that. Rey is a loner from Jakku they picked up tracking the Falcon.

....except that does not logically lead to....I just met you, but what the heck, take this most treasured possession of mine Luke's lightsaber.

yeah yeah i know she basically is saying well it spoke to you, etc....but wow what a coincidence that she was kinda called down there and the vault just happened to open for her automagically.

fate..........or deus ex machina????

redline248
AG
Quote:

fate..........or deus ex machina????

Well, it's JJ...so take your pick.

Han didn't know Maz had the saber when he took Rey to meet her. He wasn't even planning on sticking around to help Rey and Finn. Maz probably didn't expect the lightsaber to "call" to Rey either, but then realized the situation and jumped at an opportunity.

in my opinion.

Although, there are enough subtle hints in the movie that people (Han, Kylo...maybe Leia and Maz) have at least an idea who she is. The novel is straight forward about it in regards to Kylo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.