*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

382,895 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Farmer1906 said:

maca1028 said:

jr15aggie said:

maca1028 said:

Y'all are getting a little too specific, I'm out until Sunday.

Yeah dude, this is the spoiler thread and the movie is out. Everybody was warned

Wrong, this is the spoiler thread.
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2916466
This was supposed to be the spoiler thread until someone created a new one. Not sure what the issue was. All movie threads turn into spoiler threads once the movie is out. Several asked the Star Wars thread stayed spoiler free until the new year. I thought it was pretty clear, but I guess not.
This is a very long thread. I've probably read 50-75% of it and I missed this discussion where this was going to become the spoiler thread. The problem is, the OP clearly states that this is not a spoiler thread and to use spoiler tags. So apparently, I missed the discussion on page 68 or whatever page it was on a 75 page thread that spoilers were ok on this thread once the movie was released. I click on TexAgs and see that there is a spoiler thread for the movie. I come to this thread thinking that it was going to be a like/didn't like reaction to the movie and instead, people are posting major plot points without spoiler tags. In the past, there has always been two threads for major movies like this and the major thread was kind of a safe zone. My fault I guess for coming here before I've seen the movie, but there's a reason why spoiler threads have existed on this board.
I avoided this thread pretty much entirely to avoid spoilers before the film came out. I am talking about yesterday and the months leading up to it. There was a discussion about it on the Star Wars thread and completely separate thread confirming how it would be handled.

At this point, it doesn't matter. I feel bad for those who were spoiled.
bobinator
AG
So did that guy get laid or nah?
wesag
AG
People in this thread were completely inconsiderate in how they handled it. They can try and say all they want how everybody knew it, but the conclusion that it was ok doesn't add up logically.
wesag
AG
maca1028 said:

jr15aggie said:

maca1028 said:

Y'all are getting a little too specific, I'm out until Sunday.

Yeah dude, this is the spoiler thread and the movie is out. Everybody was warned

Wrong, this is the spoiler thread.
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2916466
AgMarauder04
AG
Honestly, there is no reason to keep both threads. It was well established that once the film came out, all bets were off for spoilers.
jabberwalkie09
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Honestly, there is no reason to keep both threads. It was well established that once the film came out, all bets were off for spoilers.
The people that seem to be upset about it are people that don't frequent the board and know that title film threads, like this one, are the ones where spoilers are discussed upon release.
TCTTS
AG
Usually a spoiler thread is created week of for big releases like this. But because there were already two SW threads, it seemed like overkill to create a third. Thus it was decided to turn the TLJ thread into the spoiler thread day of release. Various notices were posted numerous times in both threads regardling this for roughly a week. That said, I understand how/why people may had long since checked out of both threads. That was an oversight on our part. From now on, my vote is to create a spoiler thread week of, no matter what, for releases like this.
AgMarauder04
AG
It makes sense. I guess a lot of people on this thread aren't here as consistently as some.
AgMarauder04
AG
Maybe even a reminder when the first viewings happen. "POSTS FOLLOWING THIS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS:
Brahma
TCTTS said:

Usually a spoiler thread is created week of for big releases like this. But because there were already two SW threads, it seemed like overkill to create a third. Thus it was decided to turn the TLJ thread into the spoiler thread day of release. Various notices were posted numerous times in both threads regardling this for roughly a week. That said, I understand how/why people may had long since checked out of both threads. That was an oversight on our part. From now on, my vote is to create a spoiler thread week of, no matter what, for releases like this.
SeattleAgJr
Brutal Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Word of mouth likely to not be that good, impacting box office.... relatively.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi/

93% ctritic
58% audience as of 11:15am PT.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I might be listening to the soundtrack right now.
And it might be the best I've heard since ROTJ
ANd I might have heard that prequel callback, BE Spilner!
Where is it? I can't find it on Spotify.
search for it on mp3juice.

I downloaded the first 2 tracks (not mentioning their names here) - then realized there's about a 98-minute file with the whole soundtrack on it. It doesn't have track names and they seem to be out of order. I was skeptical at first until I heard the prequel callbacks moved in. The first 2 minutes of it will give you the chills
Mind pointing me to the track title? I listened to the full sountrack on Spotify today, but couldn't spot whatever you were referencing.

Yoda's Theme?
VanZandt92
SeattleAgJr said:

93% ctritic
So who do yall think is to blame?
Brahma
VanZandt92 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

93% ctritic

Honestly? I think trolls. There were things I didn't like in the movie but nothing to warrant such hate in my opinion.

People love to hate.
nikator
AG
Brahma said:

VanZandt92 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

93% ctritic

Honestly? I think trolls. There were things I didn't like in the movie but nothing to warrant such hate in my opinion.

People love to hate.
Lets see what happens after the weekend when the general audience gets a look
---------------

"A man without a belly is like a house without a balcony"
- Old Turkish saying
VanZandt92
Brahma said:

VanZandt92 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

93% ctritic

People love to hate.
I think yall are going to find that Star Wars fans are going to pan this on average, sorry.
amercer
AG
Just got out.

I thought it was awesome
Madmarttigan
AG
People don't love to hate Star Wars, this is the Disney/Marvel train not DC comics.

This was a movie that had some serious problems and let downs, and it should leave you concerned for the future of Star Wars with Johnson at the helm.
Brahma
tv1113 said:

People don't love to hate Star Wars, this is the Disney/Marvel train not DC comics.

This was a movie that had some serious problems and let downs, and it should leave you concerned for the future of Star Wars with Johnson at the helm.

I didn't mean they love to hate Star Wars specifically. It just seems that it's a fad going around these days. Seems some people think it's cool to hate on popular stuff. Like I said, I liked to movie. It wasn't without it's faults and it wasn't perfect but I was really entertained by it.
SeattleAgJr
VanZandt92 said:

SeattleAgJr said:

93% ctritic
Rian Johnson/Kathleen Kennedy,

This was not a great movie. This was a good movie, with horrible storytelling and pacing.
VanZandt92
That 58 percent had a lot fake positive reviews. That doesn't mean The sample truly refects reality without that, but there are people getting paid to review.
SeattleAgJr
Really good critique here:

http://starwarsbooks.us/reviews/2017/12/15/tljcritique.html
wangus12
AG
VanZandt92 said:

That 58 percent had a lot fake positive reviews. That doesn't mean The sample truly refects reality without that, but there are people getting paid to review.

There are also communities on the internet that all mass review to influence things whether its positive or negative. Not saying thats happening here. Its the internet though
Brahma
wangus12 said:

VanZandt92 said:

There are also communities on the internet that all mass review to influence things whether its positive or negative. Not saying thats happening here. Its the internet though

That's what I'm saying. I'd suggest everyone go see it and form your own opinion. I, for one, enjoyed it
Velvet Jones
AG
It had problems, but I too enjoyed it.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again Sunday.
Noblemen06
AG
Overall, I liked it better than TFA but I didn't love it. My nitpicks on this one align with Brian Earl Spilner's in the linked post 100%.

I have no problem ranking it, though:

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. RotJ
4. Rogue One
5. TLJ
6. TFA
7. RotS
8. TPM
9. AotC

BassCowboy33
Currently sitting below the Phantom Menace in fan ratings...and still dropping. I'm seeing it Sunday; starting to worry. I trust fans far more than critics.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Really enjoyed it as well.

Was surprised by several moments and felt the whole thing was fresh and new and at least, unlike TFA, there was no retreading of anything certainly not major plot points.

There were of course several crowd pleasing nostalgic moments, and a bit more lighthearted humor given the situation or stakes involved. But they all pretty much pleased me and did not distract.

Some things I felt were really excellent - the space battles, the new creatures, characters and worlds, and the way it gave nearly everyone a contributing part.

It did suffer a bit from middle story syndrome - but we always knew it was be sort of setting the table for the finale. That cannot be helped really.

The only character arc that disappointed me really was Phasma, just thrown in really but at least it is mercifully over.

Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley were really really really good...and thats great because they are going to have to carry this third film of course.

The Collective
AG
Wrong thread
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brahma said:

tv1113 said:

I didn't mean they love to hate Star Wars specifically. It just seems that it's a fad going around these days. Seems some people think it's cool to hate on popular stuff. Like I said, I liked to movie. It wasn't without it's faults and it wasn't perfect but I was really entertained by it.

Yes I would not put too much stock into that early rating.

IMDB used to get hammered with early negative reviews of movies - it was fanboys of some other genre downgrading it to prove their preferred genre was superior. It was stupid. There you could see the votes specifically and huge percentages were giving 1/10 reviews to a movie just to downplay it. Of course others were giving blanket 10/10. When they did away with their comments sections the fanboys left because they had no platform to degrade films and the votes got better. there are still always some blanket 1/10 which is absurd. No movie deserves that unless it is nearly unwatchable. There are blanket 10/10 voters also, but I don't think it is all of the 10/10 voters some legitimately loved it.

IMDB has it at a solid 8.0 right now and thats a very good rating. The force awakens had an 8.1, but those ones that just blanket give a film a 1/10 tend to be early. It should go up a little still.

I read some comments here saying no laughing or cheering in their theater. I am shocked and don't really believe that. Mine had significant laughter at funny moments and 3-4 times of cheering throughout the movie as well as applause at the end.

BassCowboy33
BernArnold said:

Brahma said:

tv1113 said:

Yes I would not put too much stock into that early rating.

IMDB used to get hammered with early negative reviews of movies - it was fanboys of some other genre downgrading it to prove their preferred genre was superior. It was stupid. There you could see the votes specifically and huge percentages were giving 1/10 reviews to a movie just to downplay it. Of course others were giving blanket 10/10. When they did away with their comments sections the fanboys left because they had no platform to degrade films and the votes got better. there are still always some blanket 1/10 which is absurd. No movie deserves that unless it is nearly unwatchable. There are blanket 10/10 voters also, but I don't think it is all of the 10/10 voters some legitimately loved it.

IMDB has it at a solid 8.0 right now and thats a very good rating. The force awakens had an 8.1, but those ones that just blanket give a film a 1/10 tend to be early. It should go up a little still.

I read some comments here saying no laughing or cheering in their theater. I am shocked and don't really believe that. Mine had significant laughter at funny moments and 3-4 times of cheering throughout the movie as well as applause at the end.

I've found the opposite. Ratings almost always go down after the first weekend or two on IMDB.
VanZandt92
There was cheering and applause at my show. I clapped a little. The thing is though, my expectations are so low now that this was only a mild disappoinment.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

agree but we are only a day into it. i'm saying a bunch of people went day 1 and put a 1/10 even if they did not see it or just because. throughout this weekend as people actually see it and give it 7-10 ratings i expect it to hit about 8.1 also.

the RT rating i have no idea. just seems really out there. its not a 58% thats biased for sure however it happened. It may not be a 10 but its not a 5 either.
Buck Compton
AG
VanZandt92 said:

There was cheering and applause at my show. I clapped a little. The thing is though, my expectations are so low now that this was only a mild disappoinment.
You've been so ridiculous on this entire thing. I think due to your age, your expectations are just a bit out of whack in the beginning. It wasn't a 10, but it wasn't the abomination you're pretending it is.

I'm still processing, but will post full thoughts on the other thread.
Philip J Fry
AG
It's only a 5 because of the 5 star plants littering the score.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.