*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

377,478 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
Koldus131
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To me, Metacritic scores mean a lot too (along with RT), and TLJ is currently at an 86. That's ridiculously high for a blockbuster film. TFA has an 81.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star-wars-episode-viii---the-last-jedi
jr15aggie
AG
Sounds like this movie... now I don't like to curse, but the best way to describe it... is going to mind **** the fans. I'm definitely hyped, but I'm wondering if I won't initially like some of the story decisions.

I'm the type that likes it simple... Luke is good and will do awesome stuff with a green light saber alongside Rey. Kylo and Snoke are bad. Easy! But I don't think that's how any of this is going to go (Luke said so in the trailer).

Over time (or as they are saying, after a 2nd viewing) I'm sure I'll love it, but I'm starting to prepare myself to be stunned walking out of the theater Thursday night wondering what the hell Rian Johnson just did to my Star Wars!!!
95_Aggie
AG
I have already been spoilerized by a comment on one of the review sites.

Stupid me for going there ...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Now THAT is impressive. Currently higher than The Disaster Artist (76), Coco (81), and is almost on par with Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri (87), which is a Best Picture contender.

This is the number that is truly reflective of the critic response; much more so than the RT score.
Living Legend
AG
TCTTS said:

FTACO97 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Naturally, I went to the negative reviews. Here are the summaries.

Quote:

Put simply, The Last Jedi is lodged several parsecs up its own black hole.
Quote:

For those hoping that there may have been a substantial uptick in quality between J.J. Abrams's The Force Awakens and Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi-in much the same way that The Empire Strikes Back improved on Star Wars-you may need a new hope.
Quote:

Falsely epic, uselessly lyrical.
Quote:

So many elements in Episode VIII are recycled that it could have been called Rerun of the Jedi.
Quote:

But gradually, Johnson's many additions become too much of a good thing and The Last Jedi grows crowded, busy and long.

And TCTTS wonders why some of us are leery of movie critics....
Dude. Come on. As cliched as you think certain critics might be (and I'm not saying they're not) , PLEASE don't be the people bashing critic reactions to a movie you haven't even seen yet. That's one of the lamest, most cliche fanboy practices around. That's the kind of crap insane DC fanboys revert to on Twitter when a critic tweets that they didn't like Batman vs Superman a week before it's in theaters. And sure, the quality of the movie/franchise is so much higher in this case, but still. Don't become a cliche while bashing a cliche.
Don't know why critics' opinions matter so much to people. If i like something i like it, i don't need someone else's opinion to influence me.
The Collective
AG
wangus12 said:

CJS4715 said:

RT score interests me, but there are Star Wars people telling me this is a great SW film. I choose to trust the people who care about it as much as I do.

I went back and read what I said again. It's like I went full DC fanboy without even realizing it.
wangus12
AG
AgMarauder04
AG
Koldus131 said:

To me, Metacritic scores mean a lot too (along with RT), and TLJ is currently at an 86. That's ridiculously high for a blockbuster film. TFA has an 81.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Rotten Tomatoes is simply: Liked it/didn't like it or good/not good

Metacritic is a better score of HOW GOOD.

You could have a RT score of 100% and a Metacritic score of 60% and it definitively be a worse movie than 60% RT and 85% MC, correct?
Koldus131
AG
Correct. Metacritic is the average critic score out of 100, RT is just liked it/disliked it. I think a 60/100 or higher is fresh, anything lower is considered rotten.
Bruce Almighty
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Koldus131 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Rotten Tomatoes is simply: Liked it/didn't like it or good/not good

Metacritic is a better score of HOW GOOD.

You could have a RT score of 100% and a Metacritic score of 60% and it definitively be a worse movie than 60% RT and 85% MC, correct?
That's correct. Metacritic also only uses critics from major publications.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yup, so Metacritic is a great indicator.

And more recently, Thor Ragnarok, which got basically universal praise as well, has a 73. Wonder Woman has a 76. (In before that guy shows up.)
The Collective
AG
RT has a score out of 10 as well. For example, The Last Jedi is 8.3/10 right now.
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yup, so Metacritic is a great indicator.

And more recently, Thor Ragnarok, which got basically universal praise as well, has a 73. Wonder Woman has a 76. (In before that guy shows up.)
Now THIS is interesting.
AGGies0311
Wonder Woman is garbage.
wangus12
AG
Caliber
AG
Why a spoon, Cousin? Why not an axe?
AGGies0311
Sheriff of Nottingham reference
vwbug
DON'T read the variety review - they are getting killed on social media for putting spoilers in it. Glad I didn't click on it.
TCTTS
AG
Was just coming here to post the same warning. Haven't read it either.
Belton Ag
AG
Guys, I think I'm going to bow out of this thread now. It's been fun, and I'll see you on the other side.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Dude. Come on. As cliched as you think certain critics might be (and I'm not saying they're not) , PLEASE don't be the people bashing critic reactions to a movie you haven't even seen yet. That's one of the lamest, most cliche fanboy practices around. That's the kind of crap insane DC fanboys revert to on Twitter when a critic tweets that they didn't like Batman vs Superman a week before it's in theaters. And sure, the quality of the movie/franchise is so much higher in this case, but still. Don't become a cliche while bashing a cliche.
They're right down there with people who make up fake movie rumors just to get attention

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
vwbug said:

DON'T read the variety review - they are getting killed on social media for putting spoilers in it. Glad I didn't click on it.
Seriously? Wow.

Thanks for the warning.
TCTTS
AG
Hahahahaha.

Yeah, when I was 18 and knew nothing. Literally half a lifetime ago.
vwbug
No problem, saw John Campea and Kristian Harloff tweeting about it.

BTW - sad they aren't together on jedi council. After I see this movie Friday, would love to see the old jedi council together for a spoiler heavy review. Why did Campea leave???

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No idea about Campea. I know he left once before, came back, then left again.

Just as well, he puts out his solo stuff, so, more content for us.
TCTTS
AG
For all the spoiler talk and fears lately, I think it's worth reiterating again how amazing it is that we've all made it this far and still basically know not a damn thing. I'm honestly shocked at the amount of information that hasn't been made public through even the insider/rumor sites, never mind the fact that virtually nothing has made its way into this thread. All I know are the vague, big-picture narratives for Rey and Finn (Rey is training with Luke and Finn goes undercover in The First Order) and that's really it. Sure, there are a few other minor plot points that can be gleaned from the trailers, but all in all it amounts to nothing more than your standard one or two-sentence logline. It really is incredible.

In fact, this is actually the first Star Wars movie since seeing Return of the Jedi for the first time that I have absolutely no idea how it ends beforehand. For Episodes I-III, along with TFA and Rogue One, going into each one, I knew exactly how they ended and exactly who dies. The Last Jedi? No clue, and it's a weird, awesome feeling.
The Shank Ag
Think I got spoiled by a student who said he read spoilers. Can I fail him?
TCTTS
AG
Absolutely.
wangus12
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Snitches get stitches
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"That... is why you fail."
The Shank Ag
Ugh... it won't fix things. I'm just passed the hell off
AgMarauder04
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Make your next super hard. Then make the entire class take it while he snacks and plays on his phone.

They'll enact street justice.
Sapper Redux
The Shank Ag said:

Fear (of spoilers) leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to the Dark Side.
jr15aggie
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Live and learn for Episode IX:

Explain to all of your classes ahead of time that if any kid ruins the movie you will punish every class with homework, quizzes, & projects. The name of the little snot will be broadcast to all classes so they will know who to blame.

The kids will take care of the rest... that's how **** gets settled in prison!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.