*** STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI ***

387,239 Views | 2709 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ark03
AgMarauder04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jr15aggie said:

BernArnold said:

AgMarauder04 said:

disagree. Froze the frame. Looks like it goes STRAIGHT into her hand. There is no arc, like a toss

ditto..also freeze framing it...it comes in from straight ahead and her eyes are locked on it specifically

Well maybe he threw it overhand really hard then!!! Or he tossed it up and then she force grabbed it. I just know that if she force grabbed it off his waist, he would have to be on a platform higher than her, otherwise the angle is all wrong. Just a thought.

I'm still a bit upset that I'm even aware and thinking about it. As soon as that scene starts I'll know exactly what's coming. Stupid marketing dumb asses!!!!!

Agree. At this point, we're ALL excited. No reason to drop new footage a week out.
The Collective
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

That spoiler is right up there with when they showed Maul in TPM trailer......

How was showing Maul a spoiler?
jabberwalkie09
AG
CJS4715 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

That spoiler is right up there with when they showed Maul in TPM trailer......

How was showing Maul a spoiler?
You mean showing off probably one the best parts in an otherwise lackluster film with him lighting his lightsaber, was not a spoiler? Granted I was 12 at the time and was just fascinated by having another Star Wars film beginning a new trilogy that we didn't know the direction of, but looking back at it now, yeah I'd say that was a spoiler IMO.
TCTTS
AG
What some of you consider a spoiler never ceases to amaze me.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

Thanks for singling me out?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah? I was responding to your post.

From a marketing standpoint, there are just certain shots that have to be shown in order to get people hyped and in the theater. Granted, for a Star Wars movie, people will obviously show up regardless, but Darth Maul's double-sided light saber was something talked about almost above all else in the lead up to that movie because of how cool it was. But it wasn't a "spoiler" to show that. If that's a spoiler, literally any other shot or design element shown from that movie can be considered a "spoiler." A spoiler is a significant plot point that is ruined, and I wouldn't consider his lightsaber a "plot point" by any means. It was just something cool that caused a bunch of buzz in the lead up to the movie, exactly as Fox/Lucasfilm planned.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah? I was responding to your post.

From a marketing standpoint, there are just certain shots that have to be shown in order to get people hyped and in the theater. Granted, for a Star Wars movie, people will obviously show up regardless, but Darth Maul's double-sided light saber was something talked about almost above all else in the lead up to that movie because of how cool it was. But it wasn't a "spoiler" to show that. If that's a spoiler, literally any other shot or design element shown from that movie can be considered a "spoiler." A spoiler is a significant plot point that is ruined, and I wouldn't consider his lightsaber a "plot point" by any means. It was just something cool that caused a bunch of buzz in the lead up to the movie, exactly as Fox/Lucasfilm planned.
From a marketing stand point, they're both tone deaf. In the case of TPM I'd say that was leading up to a defining moment in the film for Kenobi, and I'd wage that this is as well. The surprise and any awe for both of those moments are now gone. Not to mention that the trailers showed him fighting Qui Gon not once, but twice.

Will there be hype for it? Sure, but any wow factor in theater is gone.
jr15aggie
AG
I hear what you are saying... If I ask myself why I had a problem with this shot, I'd say it's the timing of it. If this had been one of the MONEY shots of the original trailer I think we'd have lost our minds and been fine with it. In terms of importance to the movie, etc. it's not much different than the shot of Rey being Force Tortured or whatever was going on there.

But it's the timing... the fact that it's some crappy TV commercial a week before the movie. Feels like some marketing intern gave us a sneak attack spoiler via commercial after the big boys carefully crafted what they did/didn't show in the real trailers. I know that's not how it works, but sometimes perception is stronger than reality.

So I agree, it's not really a spoiler. But most of us didn't care to see it either.
TCTTS
AG
I guess I just have a different philosophy. Movies are so much more than just shots for me, and seeing certain images like that beforehand has never bothered me because they're completely void of context, which is everything. Simply seeing something isn't the same as experiencing it within the movie, if that makes sense. There's still a ton of surprise left, and in the case of that Rey shot, now I'm almost more curious, as it present other questions, which I can't wait to see answered.

That, and I just hate what spoiler culture has become. No one can talk about anything and no one can see anything beforehand because certain people want to remain clean white virgins until the day of. And that's totally fine, but making everyone else bend to the will of the person who wants to be the most pure, so to speak, has been getting out of hand. That's what I rail against, and what apparently "triggers" me, according to Spilner. But oh well. There's never going to be a compromise in that regard, so I'll drop it now.
TCTTS
AG
I'll give you that for sure, and I completely understand where you're coming from. The timing is definitely a little unnecessary.
TCTTS
AG
Silvertaps
AG
Assuming the red smoke is for cover so the resistance can evacuate
tk for tu juan
To me what happened in the trailer is not a spoiler; it is a dangling carrot that makes me want to see the movie right now.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

I guess I just have a different philosophy. Movies are so much more than just shots for me, and seeing certain images like that beforehand has never bothered me because they're completely void of context, which is everything. Simply seeing something isn't the same as experiencing it within the movie, if that makes sense. There's still a ton of surprise left, and in the case of that Rey shot, now I'm almost more curious, as it present other questions, which I can't wait to see answered.

That, and I just hate what spoiler culture has become. No one can talk about anything and no one can see anything beforehand because certain people want to remain clean white virgins until the day of. And that's totally fine, but making everyone else bend to the will of the person who wants to be the most pure, so to speak, has been getting out of hand. That's what I rail against, and what apparently "triggers" me, according to Spilner. But oh well. There's never going to be a compromise in that regard, so I'll drop it now.
Episode IX will have no trailers of any kind and the nobody will know the title until they sit down in the theater.
JetAg
AG
Thanks - I'm sure your retweets will be good.
TCTTS
AG
And yet, if there was any movie that could pull that off, it's Episode IX.
DB Coach
AG
I've been busy for the last 24 hours, so no trying to beat a dead horse here....but why the uproar on what has been shown in THREE different TV spots?
gougler08
AG
DB Coach said:

I've been busy for the last 24 hours, so no trying to beat a dead horse here....but why the uproar on what has been shown in THREE different TV spots?
Because, texags
Silvertaps
AG
TCTTS said:

People trying to avoid spoilers, tv spots, and trailers (especially a week before premier)...yet continuing to click on this thread seems a bit stranger to me.
gougler08
AG
Silvertaps said:

TCTTS said:

People trying to avoid spoilers, tv spots, and trailers (especially a week before premier)...yet continuing to click on this thread seems a bit stranger to me.
This x1000
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

And yet, if there was any movie that could pull that off, it's Episode IX.
Depending on how awesome XIII is, I could totally get behind no trailers for IX.

Just a really short teaser and some pictures released and that's it. Go into with completely zero idea of what you're getting.

Can you imagine something like that in a film as big as IX?
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Depending on how awesome XIII is, I could totally get behind no trailers for IX.

Urban Ag
AG
Why would anyone that legitimately worried about a spoiler even being perusing this thread this close to the movie release date?

This almost got unbearable on the GOT threads.

I wouldn't post obvious spoilers, it's a dick move on a non spoiler thread. But at the same time, if you are really that concerned about it you shouldn't being reading it in the first place.
wangus12
AG
Any catch the TV spot that had some Luke-R2D2 banter
wangus12
AG
jr15aggie
AG
Wow... LOL. I'm guessing that was for Ep VII? Glad my opening night experience was nothing like that.

My favorite part was waiting in line before lunch (my theater has reserved seating now!), getting into the theater around 4:30 to get our seats, and then having the "wow the theater is packed, I had no idea" people walk in around 6:00 looking for seats.

The best part was when they started approaching people like me with the best seats in the house asking "are the seats next to you taken?". Seriously, it's Star Wars opening night... everybody, including you, bought these tickets months ago and you think you can waltz in less than an hour before it starts and get a middle of the theater seat!?!

One guy and his girlfriend even got mad when I politely said, "sorry I'm saving this for my wife". They had already asked like 10 people and I guess I was the lucky one that finally frustrated them. They eventually found their seats on the front row in the corner!
jr15aggie
AG
To my post above, I'm guessing reserved seating will eliminate those sorts of adventures. But for those with experience... is it common for a-holes with less than ideal seats try and sit in better seats hoping that person will no show?

Even with reserved seating I'm guessing I should show up a little early to make sure somebody isn't trying to claim my seat!
wangus12
AG
If I go to an empty showing of a movie where only a few people are there and someone happens to get seats right next to mine, I'll sometimes sit a few seats down. Only if I'm getting there after them. I won't get up and move if I'm already seated.

We had the same experience when I did the marathon for VII. Marathon started at 2-3am and I got there around midnight and stood in line since there weren't reserved seats. Got a great seat. Naturally people came strolling in like 15-20 minutes prior and had to sit in the front. That must have sucked for 7 movies
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I did reserved seating for TFA, but still got there about 90 minutes early just to hang out in line. Had a news reporter doing interviews down the line. Gave one and can't even remember what I said. At one point I told him I'd seen all 6 movies the night before, which was a lie. I get nervous with public speaking.
aggiephoenix02
jr15aggie said:

Even with reserved seating I'm guessing I should show up a little early to make sure somebody isn't trying to claim my seat!
Not a problem for me! I have some of the the worst reserved seats in the entire complex for my Dec. 14th 6pm showing... the two top right seats in the theater!

On the bright side, I HAVE TWO RESERVED SEATS FOR THE DEC. 14TH 6PM SHOW!!!

WH02P!!!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My local Regal still doesn't have reserved seating, so I'll be heading there at least an hour and a half early to battle the crowd.
TCTTS
AG
That's crazy. In NY? How do they, of all places, still not have reserved seating?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Your guess is as good as mine.

Showcases in Long Island all have reserved seating, and most AMC and Regals in the city have reserved seating, but not in LI, for whatever reason.
cr0wbar
AG
Bah. There was some 200+ replies.....I shouldn't have jumped in. I haven't even seen the last trailer. I've made it this far. See y'all on the 14th!!

*blue parachutes out*
wangus12
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.