Batman vs. Superman

313,836 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I read somewhere the other day that Dwayne Johnson could possibly be the Green Lantern.
I'd heard a lot of Dwayne Johnson as Lobo
YouBet
AG
If Dwayne Johnson is involved the logical character to me seems like Cyborg.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
if dwayne johnson is green lantern, can John Cena be The Flash?

Jesus, this thread depresses me every time I open it.
YouBet
AG
Dwayne Johnson as green lantern makes zero sense.
MrPlow2010
AG
i just googled Dwayne Johnson green lantern and there was a couple of articles about it...dont know how true they may be . just something I read
here is one of them

http://screenrant.com/dwayne-johnson-dc-comics-movie-role-green-lantern-john-stewart/
jeffk
AG
The Rock should play Kilowag if they try to reboot. He's HUGE right now - much too big to be one of the human green lanterns.
AliasMan02
AG
Nerdpants, activate!

I think they already destroyed the best possible application of Doomsday (who if you don't know, is the living alien weapon of destruction that ultimately sort-of killed Superman), and here's why.

The real impact of Doomsday, and indeed the whole Doomsday story, revolved around his unrelenting destruction of everything in sight. He is tearing through town after town, city after city. Massive destruction unlike anything that comics had EVER seen before. Superheroes are literally throwing themselves in front of him, just trying to stop that onslaught, including Superman, and it's all for nothing.

The trouble is, we've already seen that level of destruction. That's what we saw in Man of Steel. Leveling whole buildings, killing thousands, armies left in pieces, etc. What's worse is that, at least on the surface, nobody seemed to care about that destruction, or at least the human reaction wasn't a focus.

Right now, a Doomsday as written in the comics would just be more of the same. Ho hum.

A brief aside, I think an interesting take on Doomsday is what we saw in the last story arc before the New 52 reset: Flashpoint. Doomsday was the same alien force of destruction, but had been discovered by and was being controlled by the military (and Luthor, I think... I forget). Of course, that all goes wrong, etc. etc.
Vander
AG
The difference is that Doomsday does not want to enslave anyone and does not want control. He wants and desires nothing more than destruction. Superman cannot beat him physically, which is something that has never been done on the big screen. The destruction of Metropolis pales in comparison to what Doomsday can do. He's ended entire civilizations on his own.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
How does superman get brought back to life in the comics? If they're releasing these movies in back-to-back years, it might be a decent idea for this next one to end with Doomsday killing Superman in a huge fight, setting up a cool cliffhanger of the good guys being on the run going into the next movie.

I've been a fan of movies where the good guys lose ever since Empire Strikes Back, hah.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
What's worse is that, at least on the surface, nobody seemed to care about that destruction, or at least the human reaction wasn't a focus.

Let's be fair here. Would you care if 10 blocks of Manhattan were destroyed in a fight that decided the fate of the entire planet?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
How does superman get brought back to life in the comics? If they're releasing these movies in back-to-back years, it might be a decent idea for this next one to end with Doomsday killing Superman in a huge fight, setting up a cool cliffhanger of the good guys being on the run going into the next movie.

I've been a fan of movies where the good guys lose ever since Empire Strikes Back, hah.

He was never really dead... Kryptonian magic coma... Handwave handwave.
Vander
AG
quote:

He never died. For all intents and purposes, he's immortal so long as he can absorb solar radiation because his body will repair any and all damage to it if given enough time. Barring outright atomization of his body, which requires more power than a supernova, he can't die. It's highly likely that he could regenerate everything except for his head, which is why he never has any permanent injuries or scars.

Long term it's going to be an absolutely miserable existence for him because of that. Only Wonder Woman can really understand what it's like to know that everyone you know or will ever know will die before you do.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hypothetical nerd question. Could Wolverine stab Supes?
Wolfpac 08
AG
quote:
TexasAggie_02
AG
so if superman is immortal, then is kryptonite just an allergic reaction, or can that really kill him.

Also, why doesn't superman just kill Lex Luther? Morals or something? Wouldn't it be more moral to kill him and save the world the trouble of constant threats? Wolverine wouldn't put up with that crap.
Red Five
AG
Hypothetical nerd answer: maybe?

The only thing I can remember having seen referenced as being unable to be pierced by Wolverine's claws is Captain America's shield. Other people who are often listed as "invulnerable" have been hurt by adamantium claws/weapons, i.e. Luke Cage, Frenzy, etc. Most of the time though those people are listed as essentially having "really hard skin" rather than being truly invulnerable. Either way, at the very least we know that there is at least one thing Wolverine definitely can't pierce/cut, so I wouldn't rule out the same occuring with Superman.

Then again, Superman has had varying levels of power and abilities in the 80+ years of his publications, so he may not actually be truly "invulnerable" either. Hence: maybe.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
He never died. For all intents and purposes, he's immortal so long as he can absorb solar radiation because his body will repair any and all damage to it if given enough time. Barring outright atomization of his body, which requires more power than a supernova, he can't die. It's highly likely that he could regenerate everything except for his head, which is why he never has any permanent injuries or scars.

Does that mean no Kryptonians ever died on their home planet in the comics?
Red Five
AG
Since its Earth's yellow sun which gives Superman his powers, that would mean that Kryptonians on Krypton did not have the immortality of Superman.

[This message has been edited by Red Five (edited 1/14/2014 3:30p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So what would happen if Supes lived in Alaska during dark months?
Red Five
AG
His body absorbs the solar radiation and stores it. Presumably if he stayed in the dark long enough we would eventually lose his powers, but I have no idea how long that would take.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Since its Earth's yellow sun which gives Superman his powers, that would mean that Kryptonians on Krypton did not have the immortality of Superman.

so once our sun reaches red giant stage (no longer yellow) and swallows all the inner planets, he might actually die?
Vander
AG
quote:
So what would happen if Supes lived in Alaska during dark months?

His body is like 1 million percent efficient, as in it creates lots of energy out of little energy. It also acts as a solar battery that can store energy at perfect recall. The energy his body produces from the use of solar energy is then stored in a perfect manner. His body violates every known law of conservation of energy and mass. The amount of sunlight he receives from the Moon alone and just from living on Earth is more than sufficient to give him superpowers.

So to answer your question, nothing at all. He has to be in deep space away from all stars (yellow or hotter) for months before he would ever see any degradation of his abilities. The only way it would matter would be if he had lived his entire life underground with no access to an open sky and under an artificial red sun (Luthor does this in Justice League: War in Nu 52).
Vander
AG
quote:

No. He does not have the strength to pierce his skin even if the knives are sharp enough. Superman's skin is tough enough to take the pressure of the Core of a star, so I doubt he would even feel it.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Superman's skin is tough enough to take the pressure of the Core of a star, so I doubt he would even feel it.

what if he had kryptonite claws?
jeffk
AG
This is why I never cared for Superman growing up - no weaknesses outside of a temporary one around kryptonite.
Vander
AG
quote:
quote:
Superman's skin is tough enough to take the pressure of the Core of a star, so I doubt he would even feel it.

what if he had kryptonite claws?

Then yes he could but it wouldn't be fun for Wolverine due to the radiation of Kryptonite (it can make normal humans very ill too). A better option would be charming it with magic like Wonder Woman's sword that is made by Hephaestus which can cut through anything.

Otherwise he's SOL.
YouBet
AG
Christ, Vander is running away with the king nerd title. Rest of you losers need to contribute something.
jeffk
AG
The title - give it to him.
Sex Panther
AG
All that stuff that Vander just talked about is why Superman sucks.

And the last part about Wonder Woman is just awful. I hate this movie already.
israeliag
AG
I wouldn't say it's those qualities of Superman that make him suck. Look at Dr. Manhattan - he's even more powerful than superman but one of the most interesting characters in comic books (IMO).

Its a matter of if you can shape a good story around those themes/powers/curses, which albeit is difficult. If you view it as mortality being a gift vs. immortality a superpower, great strength and speed a responsibility vs. a means of beating up baddies, his power making him an outcast vs. idolized then you can start making him interesting. Plus you take all those gifts he has and he remains good, and not tempted to me is, even though he was created in the 30s, refreshing (it's pretty cliche make the powerful corrupt).

And then there's always this explanation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdWF7kd1tNo

[This message has been edited by israeliag (edited 1/14/2014 10:17p).]
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I wouldn't say it's those qualities of Superman that make him suck. Look at Dr. Manhattan - he's even more powerful than superman but one of the most interesting characters in comic books (IMO).

That's actually a really good point. I'm sure that has been the debate in many a comic book store over the years with some pretty deep philosophical musings on the comparison. I'll have to think some more on it...

I still don't think Superman is all that interesting, but I definitely love that speech in Kill Bill, and admit that's pretty interesting. But I'll always think Batman is better and much more interesting, but he also has way better villains and in a way, that's what really makes the superhero.

also Israeli, I hope you know I was definitely just joking about the Golem stuff earlier.
israeliag
AG
^ yeah, I got the joke. All in good fun.
YouBet
AG
When did Wonder Woman become this all powerful being almost on par with Superman? I've been reading Injustice since it came out and she's basically Supergirl.

[This message has been edited by YouBet (edited 1/14/2014 11:01p).]
Vander
AG
Wonder Woman has always been that way or at least since the 60s or so. She's generally considered to be the second most powerful superhero after Superman. She's a step or two slower than him, almost as strong, slightly lower durability, better reflexes, and training and fighting ability that is on par with Batman. She also has the Lasso of Truth, her bracelets that allow her to create the aegis shield that cannot be penetrated when she crosses them (it has a higher durability than Superman), a tiara that is more effective that Captain America's shield, and the sword I mentioned earlier.

Now that Wonder Woman is part god due to being the daughter of Zeus, she's probably even more formidable than before (except when she was Goddess of Truth at one point).

The Justice League's Big 7 of Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash (using the speedforce), Batman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter (all of Superman's powers along with telepathy, intangibility, invisibility, and shape shifting), and Aquaman are an insanely powerful team. This is why only beings like Doomsday, Darkseid, the Anti-Monitor, or groups like the Crime Syndicate really work as JL villains.
Vander
AG
quote:
Christ, Vander is running away with the king nerd title. Rest of you losers need to contribute something.

Yeah I'm a huge DC guy thanks to being a fan of Superman and the Justice League. Comics can get ridiculously confusing at times though. I haven't followed much of the Nu 52 stuff though, it's way too expensive now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.