Batman vs. Superman

313,766 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Vander
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wonder Woman is the only Amazon with superpowers. The rest are just normal women blessed with immortality by Hera after Hercules and his men raped and brutalized them all. So no, you don't need an explanation as to why they have superpowers because they don't have them.

Wonder Woman, in the current comics, is actually a being exactly like Hercules. She's the daughter of an illicit relationship between her mother, Hippolyta and Zeus. So basically she's half god, which is why she has powers. Just make the Olympian Gods like Marvel's Asgard and be done with it if you want to make them aliens, why change what is already a pretty damn good origin story? It's dumb and ruins a major aspect of the character.

[This message has been edited by Vander (edited 1/6/2014 3:01p).]
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
It's Wonder Woman - a character with a magic, golden lasso and an invisible jet - in a piece-of-sh*t, doomed-from-the-beginning $uperhero movie

This... can't decide if the best word to describe her is uninteresting or just plain stupid.

They took the world's most uninteresting superhero, (sorry, he is) then made him a woman. And to top it all off, gave her a lasso that makes people tell the truth, and an invisible ****ing jet. Awful...
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Wonder Woman, in the current comics, is actually a being exactly like Hercules. She's the daughter of an illicit relationship between her mother, Hippolyta and Zeus. So basically she's half god, which is why she has powers. Just make the Olympian Gods like Marvel's Asgard and be done with it if you want to make them aliens, why change what is already a pretty damn good origin story? It's dumb and ruins a major aspect of the character.

If you REALLY think injecting Greek gods into this world would work, I don't know what to tell you. It (kind of) works for Marvel, but it definitely wouldn't work for the world Man of Steel established. To have a character that was ACTUALLY born of Zeus - there by confirming that Zeus & co are/were real beings/gods - would open a can of worms the filmmakers are wise to avoid. As crazy as some of the Kryptonian stuff was, Man of Steel definitely felt very sci-fi and even somewhat "explained" or believable, given the circumstances. You introduce the idea of actual Greek gods into that world and suddenly it's a fantasy movie vs. a sci-fi superhero movie.

In fact, having now heard that that's Wonder Woman's actual origin story, I'm convinced they made the right the decision here for the movie. Feels FAR more grounded and connected.
TCTTS
AG
And just to reiterate, none of that Wonder Woman stuff is confirmed. Yes, Batman on Film is usually spot-on, but the way he phrased that particular answer may have been more speculation than anything. Hard to tell. Point is, who knows? Larger point: Who cares?
Vander
AG
quote:
quote:

If you REALLY think injecting Greek gods into this world would work, I don't know what to tell you. It (kind of) works for Marvel, but it definitely wouldn't work for the world Man of Steel established. To have a character that was ACTUALLY born of Zeus - there by confirming that Zeus & co are/were real beings/gods - would open a can of worms the filmmakers are wise to avoid. As crazy as some of the Kryptonian stuff was, Man of Steel definitely felt very sci-fi and even somewhat "explained" or believable, given the circumstances. You introduce the idea of actual Greek gods into that world and suddenly it's a fantasy movie vs. a sci-fi superhero movie.

In fact, having now heard that that's Wonder Woman's actual origin story, I'm convinced they made the right the decision here for the movie. Feels FAR more grounded and connected.

The DCU is entirely based around the fact that gods exist. How the hell else do you think they are going to play off Darkseid when they inevitably introduce him as a JLA villain? It's fine if you don't want to call them gods and want to call them aliens to make them more grounded, but don't eliminate them entirely.

Also making them aliens would just be giving them the Stargate treatment wherein ridiculously powerful and advanced aliens tool on the role of gods in human mythology. It's been done before (lots of times in scifi actually) and it's an easy switch. In this case the Olympians were aliens (that were distinctly NOT Kryptonian, but some other race).

Literally anything else would have been better than this, and I do mean ANYTHING. They could not have honestly made a worse decision if this actually goes through.
Gradin
AG
I agree with you TCTTS. I love WW but find this pretty creative way to make this make sense in this universe. However one of my friends argues that this basically made her like Supergirl.

[This message has been edited by gradin (edited 1/6/2014 4:36p).]
jeffk
AG
quote:
"What do you think Batfleck’s Batman is being based on (from the comics)?”

JETT SAYS: Characterization-wise, a healthy amount of DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, a bit of KINGDOM COME, and just a dash of BATMAN BEYOND.

Dang it, TC! You better hurry up with our Batman Beyond idea!
TCTTS
AG
^ Ha, I told y'all.

You want me to write it, sell it, and get in in theaters BEFORE July 2015?

I need more info on the plot before pursuing the BB idea further. Besides, there's plenty of time.
jeffk
AG
I've been checking flightaware daily to see when your private plane was coming to pick me up in Houston.
TCTTS
AG
Sorry! Was waiting 'til this got out of the shop...

Quad Dog
AG
I too have a problem with this WW Kryptonion origin. Why not just make her Supergirl or Powergirl? I get that her real origin of being formed out of clay by her mom Hippolyte is a tough sell. But the newer versions basing WW in Greek mythology would be easier. If DC can't even introduce Greek mythology into a story without making it Kryptonion, then they have little chance at doing Aquaman and Atlantis. And no chance of doing Gorilla City, the New Gods, or any of their multiverse.
Meanwhile Marvel pretty flawlessly pulled off Asgard, is trying to move into space, and their whole universe is open in the future.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
It seems to me that they're merging WW and Supergirl into a single character, trimming down the lamer parts of both and (hopefully) leaving us with the best of both worlds.

True, she's basically super girl, but calling her Wonder Woman allows her to differentiate herself from Superman and feel more like her own character than Supes' sidekick — a must if she's ever to get her own standalone movie or even be respected as an equal member of an eventual Justice League.
YouBet
AG
Didn't her invisible jet originate in Superfriends and not the comic? Never read WW but the origin explained by that guy makes sense for the movie but I also don't really care about the accuracy of the DC back stories.
TCTTS
AG
I'll take Devin's word over Jett's (who has now said he was only speculating)...

Devin Faraci @devincf
I have multiple sources telling me the Wonder Woman as Kryptonian stuff is bullsh*t.
Vander
AG
quote:
Didn't her invisible jet originate in Superfriends and not the comic? Never read WW but the origin explained by that guy makes sense for the movie but I also don't really care about the accuracy of the DC back stories.

Yeah it did and it hasn't been used in over 30 years in the comics. She has been able to fly on her own for a long time now.
Simplebay
AG
and here we go again. i still think Cranston could redeem this movie

quote:
Reports claiming Bryan Cranston is “confirmed” for Lex Luthor; Batman is Ross inspired

http://www.manofsteelfanpage.com/man-of-steel-2/reports-claiming-bryan-cranston-is-confirmed-for-lex-luthor-batman-is-ross-inspired/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cranston
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Any chance they saw the Cranston rumor get out of hand months ago, saw a positive reaction all over the internet, then decided to go after him?
Simplebay
AG
fan/internet support has definitely influenced and actually seriously altered/made movies.

however, in this case i think it's a little too big to be influenced in the way. However, DC clearly has no fking idea what they are doing. so they could go all Avi Arad/Spiderman 3/Venom on this and give in to something that they aren't prepared to make.

frankly i wish there was a clear direction and ideas to be had. Nolan gets a pass for slightly muddling The Dark Knight Rises, because clearly his idea was to take the joker further/to his conclusion.
Daveintx
I still think supes should have gotten at least 1 more movie on his own before adding bats, etc..... but that's just me (at least let him and luthor share 1 movie setting up what is to come between them)
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Agreed with Dave^
israeliag
AG
I could see this working if they do indeed keep this a Superman movie, with a good amount of Bats, and primarily just introduce WW and Lex. But, I don't have faith that they'll figure that out.

And to:

quote:
I get that her real origin of being formed out of clay by her mom Hippolyte is a tough sell.

I admittedly don't know much about WW, but that sounds like a treasure trove of an origin story IMO: A Golem story, where the character struggles with what it means to be human and if she even counts as human. A bit similar to Supes but could be a point they can bond around.

[This message has been edited by israeliag (edited 1/7/2014 5:51p).]
Sex Panther
AG
IsraeliAg talking about Golems... next you're gonna have Wonder Woman playing the fiddle on her house and talking about if she was a rich girl.
Simplebay
AG
Daniel Alter tweeted that Luthor and Doomsday are in the movie

Alright its spiderman 3
Saxsoon
AG
Simple, I thought that was pretty evident already
toucan82
Hopefully there's a better song and dance in this
Simplebay
AG
BigTimeAlum
AG
If Doomsday is in this movie, it's not Spiderman 3, it's Batman and Robin.

There is zero benefit to having a villain like Doomsday be central to this story on the heals of having Zod destroy half of Metropolis. You could MAYBE use Doomsday as your final Superman villain after the character has been well vetted through a trilogy and a JL movie. But to use him here is just plain moronic.
Red Five
AG
If doomsday is anything but a post-credits type teaser for the next movie, that is just absurd. Something like this:

Wolfpac 08
AG
quote:

As a kid I was big into comics. I had the entire Doomsday/Death of Superman collection. I was always fascinated by Doomsday and have always remembered this exact page!

[This message has been edited by Wolfpac 08 (edited 1/13/2014 5:04p).]
Simplebay
AG
these guys are usually pretty on with their scoops

BVS and Justice League Shooting back to back, release date a year apart

quote:
A trusted source says that the unnamed DC film that Dwayne Johnson will be working on in 2014 will, indeed, be a Justice League movie. That’s not all, though, because this has folks wondering how the JL movie can be underway in 2014, when WB/DC are in full-swing production of BvS. Well, the current thought amongst some insiders is that Batman vs Superman and Justice League are going to be shot back-to-back, ala The Hobbit films, the Pirates of The Caribbean sequels, and the latter two Matrix flicks.

http://latino-review.com/2014/01/batman-vs-superman-dcs-game-changer-casting-notes/
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Doomsday/Lex Luthor could work as opponents if handled right.

Doomsday attacks could be manipulated by Lex Luthor into creating an alien-phobia among the population directed at both Doomsday and Superman (especially after Superman destroyed so much of metropolis fighting Zod). I wouldn't be shocked if Doomsday is retconned to be man-made by Luthor if that's the route they take.

Before hearing Batman would be in this movie, I thought the Lex/Doomsday path had the most promise for a Superman sequel. Working batman and WW into that mix too (and is Nightwing still possible?) makes for a likely overload of characters, most of whom are being introduced for the first time on screen.
Vander
AG
Doomsday is too strong to be a Superman only villain. He is however perfect to display Superman's willingness to lay down everything he has to stop him even if it means his own death. That kind of storyline would legitimize Superman in the movieverse because it gives him a threat he cannot physically beat. Doomsday unleashed against the JLA would be just ridiculous on screen. Think the Hulk except a lot faster, stronger, more brutal and endless mindless destruction.

I hope they don't introduce Doomsday except as a teaser to setup the JL movie. Superman does need a villain though and for this Metallo fits the bill well because he's a Luthor creation.
MrPlow2010
AG
I read somewhere the other day that Dwayne Johnson could possibly be the Green Lantern. Since the one bombed with Ryan Reynolds they may have the character again but with the Rock playing him. I read it on some movie website a few days ago... has anyone else heard anything about it?
israeliag
AG
quote:
IsraeliAg talking about Golems... next you're gonna have Wonder Woman playing the fiddle on her house and talking about if she was a rich girl.

I get the irony in me saying that, but it is a tried and true theme (Frankenstein, Battlestar, ghola/Dune, Pinocchio).

But, we did get an Israeli WW. And Supes was invented by two Jews, so who knows.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.