Batman vs. Superman

313,895 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
CapCityAg89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Could we see a dual origins montage at the beginning - prior to or behind opening credits. Done to cool music (introducing character themes) it would work also. It's cliche enough that you don't need much more than the theater, an alley shot and pearls scattered.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
This thread is 943 posts. Just pondering that. Damn.

The power of Batman
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Could we see a dual origins montage at the beginning - prior to or behind opening credits. Done to cool music (introducing character themes) it would work also. It's cliche enough that you don't need much more than the theater, an alley shot and pearls scattered.

I'm definitely thinking something along those lines. I guess I would be ok with it if was just a few shots in a montage over the opening credits or something.
wesag
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm definitely thinking something along those lines. I guess I would be ok with it if was just a few shots in a montage over the opening credits or something.
Like who exactly doesn't know the origins that would actually care?
TCTTS
AG
I'm with you all the way. I'm just saying, if it's not part of the actual narrative - and it's not some big flashback/origins thing highlighted during the movie - I'm fine with it being part of some kind of opening credit sequence. Snyder's opening titles for Watchmen were amazing, and if he does something similarly cool/inventive here, which happens to include a shot or two of Bruce's parents being murdered, I guess I'm ok with that.
Sex Panther
AG
^
That would be the way to go, hopefully it is something like that. Agree on Watchmen's opening credits. Best part of the movie.
TajMaballer
AG
So they have been filming in Chicago the last couple of weeks and I came across these photos at one of the train stops. Not sure if this is spoiler-related, but does anyone know about the first two photos in the album?
ArchAg01
AG
Some footage taken by locals of Superman floating in the streets of Chicago as well as Bruce and his parents walking out of a movie theater:

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2014/11/13/watch-as-chicago-transforms-into-metropolis-gotham-city.php
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Maybe Superman travels back in time to kill Bruce Wayne's parents.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Maybe Superman travels back in time to kill Bruce Wayne's parents.

Laugh/cry face
CapCityAg89
AG
Extended ddp.
SeattleAgJr
The fact that they are forcing another retelling of Bruce's origins is truly sad and pathetic and is the final nail (amongst many) that helped me decide to not watch this movie.

They have already "Gothamed" this movie to the point it should be a Justice League film anyway.
TCTTS
AG
I don't have much faith in this movie either, but without knowing a single detail about the plot - or having seen a single frame of the movie yet - that seems kind of like an extreme/ridiculous decision this early.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I don't know about you, but if my batman isn't middle aged and semi-retired, with a Boston accent, then I don't want to see him on the screen, why even waste your time?
wesag
AG
quote:
I don't have much faith in this movie either, but without knowing a single detail about the plot - or having seen a single frame of the movie yet - that seems kind of like an extreme/ridiculous decision this early.

That isn't ridiculous at all! Go with your gut. there is good reason to be suspicious.
TCTTS
AG
To be suspicious, yes. To make absolute proclamations 18 months out? No.
BigRobSA
quote:
The fact that they are forcing another retelling of Bruce's origins is truly sad and pathetic and is the final nail (amongst many) that helped me decide to not watch this movie.

They have already "Gothamed" this movie to the point it should be a Justice League film anyway.
Same here.

Well, that, and their choice for Batman.
TCTTS
AG
I can't believe I'm defending this movie, but you guys are being ridiculous. Evidence of this scene is not the "final nail in the coffin." Again, as already stated, for all we know it's only one or two quick shots in the opening credits. Sure, this movie sounds like crap, I'm just saying don't be such drastic drama queens when we know NOTHING about how these shots are going to be used. Especially when it literally may be only a single shot. Yes, I complained as well, but I'm not making absolute, sky-is-falling proclamations based on incomplete evidence.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
The origin scene is funny, but I expect it to be a nightmare-style flashback or something (maybe something that gets Batman back out there ala The Dark Knight Returns because that seems to be the inspiration for everything) and that's fine. There's a lot more going on with this movie that makes me think it's going to be pretty average. Hoping for the best though.
TCTTS
AG
^ Agreed.
TCTTS
AG
I will say this... if there's anything that gives me hope it's that Chris Terrio took over the script from David Goyer, and has been shepherding this project - along with Justice League - ever since. Terrio wrote Argo, won an Oscar for that screenplay, and was brought on by Affleck, once Affleck was cast. From all accounts, Terrio is super smart (way smarter than Goyer), and has delivered something everyone involved apparently loves. I also think Affleck is doing everything in his power to make this a great movie. He has A LOT riding on it, and is extremely involved in every aspect. Not to mention, Snyder is a phenomenal visual director. The problem is, he's never had a great script, nor are his strength on the page. I'm hoping against hope that he finally has a great script with Terrio now onboard, and if so, this movie could truly be something special.

Additionally, there hasn't been a single thing I've heard/seen about Batman in this iteration that gives me pause. His look, his car, his backstory, how they're using him, and the point at which we're meeting him in his career, all sound pretty damn cool to me. And Affleck doesn't bother me in the slightest. I think he'll make for a great Bruce Wayne, and his grizzled old Batman could be pretty cool, too. Despite my lukewarm reaction to Man of Steel, Cavill too I thought was a great Superman. The dude embodies that character perfectly. Even Eisenberg's Luthor sounds like an inventive take, and I applaud them for taking that kind of a chance with the character.

All that said, whether or not all these ingredients mix together well is the key. Individually, I love pizza, I love burritos, and I love hamburgers, but not all at once, no matter how great the chef is. But as gross as all that sounds together, I'm not ruling out the chance that they've managed to come up with some kind of awesome pizza/burrito/hamburger hybrid. It's definitely not likely, but when the entire restaurant depends on that one hybrid menu item being a success, I'd like to think a lot of extra time and consideration has gone into preparing it. And judging by the sound of things, they've taken their time getting it exactly right. I just have no idea if my taste buds are ready.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
All that said, whether or not all these ingredients mix together well is the key. Individually, I love pizza, I love burritos, and I love hamburgers, but not all at once, no matter how great the chef is.

D.C. Fusion
TCTTS
Sex Panther
AG
I agree with TC though.

Affleck has made some pretty awesome movies, and if he's involved heavily behind the camera then it could be good. I'm sure this is really, really important to him to get this right. And Snyder's stuff does look incredible, so maybe with the right help and direction he can finally hit it out of the park.

It's easy to mock though because of how it's developed so far and all the questionable decisions DC/WB have made. And of course doing so all while in the mighty Marvel's golden shadow.

It'll probably still be a letdown, but who are we kidding? We'll all be there opening weekend.
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
TCTTS
AG
Something else I MIGHT enjoy about the DCU is the lack of origin stories. This late in the superhero cycle, I don't need to see anymore origins. I'm totally fine with a character's introduction being a single scene or two. In fact, at this point, I prefer that take. That said, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Cyborg come across as way lamer than anything Marvel has to offer, but quick intros for them within the context of a bigger story might actually work to DC's advantage in that way.
TCTTS
AG
Well said, SP.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
The only thing I don't like is this whole doing TDKR without actually doing it, I'm worried about mixing elements of that story with the rest of the DC Universe because I'm just not sure if it'll make it odd. Also I guess I don't understand how a semi-retired Batman not only goes back to full speed for this movie, but also a solo movie and two Justice League movies. I hope it works, I really do, I like Ben Affleck, but WB does not have a good reputation with using these characters correctly.

I will agree that Affleck's presence as Ben Affleck has shown some positives, and I would be shocked if Affleck doesn't direct the Batman solo movie, let's hope it's enough.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
Something else I MIGHT enjoy about the DCU is the lack of origin stories. This late in the superhero cycle, I don't need to see anymore origins. I'm totally fine with a character's introduction being a single scene or two. In fact, at this point, I prefer that take. That said, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Cyborg come across as way lamer than anything Marvel has to offer, but quick intros for them within the context of a bigger story might actually work to DC's advantage in that way.
I really think Wonder Woman and Aquaman need some semblance of an origin story though. A lot of people have no idea what these characters origins are, even if they are familiar with the characters themselves. Cyborg's origin story is meh. In fact they did his origin story in the context of Justice League WAR animated film recently, and it was fine. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that during Justice League Part 1.

There was an animated Wonder Woman movie done in 2009, and it was great! I was like, just make that movie and it'll be a hit! As skeptical as I am abut BvS, I am even more skeptical of Wonder Woman only because I don't have faith they'll get her right.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Also I guess I don't understand how a semi-retired Batman not only goes back to full speed for this movie

Yeah, that is a little concerning, but he may not need to be at full speed. I'm thinking this Batman will be using his smarts way more than his strength. In fact, I'd be surprised if there's more than one scene of actual, physical fighting between Batman and Superman. I think it's going to be more of a cat and mouse kind of thing - or more like a game of chess - with Batman winning in the brains category. I also thing the "versus" aspect will be done by the halfway point or so, if not the two-thirds mark. They'll definitely be teaming up for the last act, no doubt. Then Supes basically becomes Batman's muscle.
Sex Panther
AG
Wait... there's a Batman solo movie?

Wasn't there talk that part of the deal would be that Affleck does Justice League? Or is that Snyder as well?

As for the doing the TDKR story, I get what you're saying but everything about this looks like it's basically ripped straight out of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. Arguably the most well known and best graphic novel ever. No doubt, Nolan's TDKR borrowed some of the same story elements, but this one looks much closer to the original material.

But sure, more casual fans may think it's a bit of a rip off though.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I really think Wonder Woman and Aquaman need some semblance of an origin story though. A lot of people have no idea what these characters origins are, even if they are familiar with the characters themselves. Cyborg's origin story is meh. In fact they did his origin story in the context of Justice League WAR animated film recently, and it was fine. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that during Justice League Part 1.

There was an animated Wonder Woman movie done in 2009, and it was great! I was like, just make that movie and it'll be a hit! As skeptical as I am abut BvS, I am even more skeptical of Wonder Woman only because I don't have faith they'll get her right.

Wonder Woman's solo movie actually sounds like it's going to be some kind of origin story, taking place way before BvS (though it'd debut after). And that's fine with me, I meant I don't think we need an original to actually intro the character. I'm fine with her first appearance being in some random BvS scene, teaming up in some small way, then we go back and fill in the blanks so to speak, with her solo movie. I guess I meant to say I don't need the exact same Marvel approach this go around.
wesag
AG
I want to contribute to this discussion so bad , but I don't know how dammit. Apathy sucks.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Wait... there's a Batman solo movie?

Wasn't there talk that part of the deal would be that Affleck does Justice League? Or is that Snyder as well?

When DC presented their slate in that investor call a few weeks ago, they gave dates for most of the movies, but also said that solo Batman and Superman movies were in the works as well (but gave no dates). I honestly think they're waiting to see how this Batman is received in BvS before making any concrete plans, or deciding whether they'll try to squeeze in a solo movie before Justice League Part 2 or not. My bet is they wait 'til after, and then let Affleck direct some kind of final solo movie with that character.

And yes, Snyder is confirmed to be directing both Justice League Part 1 and Part 2. Rumor is, because this shoot has been so insanely long, some of what they've been filming for BvS is actually also JL material. That hasn't been confirmed yet, though.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I would like to see Batman's relationship in the JL be similar to this:

And this:

Although the guy voicing Batman in this movie is pretty bad, so no way Affleck couldn't be better than that, haha.
TCTTS
AG
^ A Batman that kind of stoically/playfully f*cks with the other superheroes would be awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.