Batman vs. Superman

313,882 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
TC what exactly is the difference between Executive Producer and Producer. I'm told the former is basic financial backing and % or cut of the profits. The latter is creative control, big picture ideas, etc.

Nolan is listed as an EP, but I'm told he wants nothing to do with this.

Almost the opposite. A producer basically oversees the financial backing / hiring of crew / helps develop the property / etc. In extremely simple terms, a producer oversees almost all aspects of the filmmaking process, from day one. An executive producer - or "E.P." - is more often than not in-name-only. They may have a tiny, tiny bit of creative input here and there, or may kind of help out if need be financially, but mostly an executive producer is either lending their name for clout (in Nolan's case), or it's a credential thing because their company was involved somewhere along the way. Basically, that company's contract may say they get two E.P. credits or something like that. So two people from that company will get their name on the movie, just for being involved tangentially.

For instance, my company is currently purchasing the rights to a book, but we're basically buying it for someone else to produce, someone who asked us to help out, but will be developing the project creatively on their own. In exchange for providing the cash to purchase the rights, along with receiving a percentage of the eventual purchase price (if/when a studio buys the project from us), we negotiated for two E.P. fees/credits. We won't have anything to do with the project creatively, but our names will be in the credits if it ultimately gets made.
TCTTS
AG
Also, I should be clear that for whatever reason, it's the OPPOSITE in TV. So maybe that's where the confusion comes from. An executive producer in TV helps raise the money, oversees the process, etc., while a producer is kind of there either in-name-only, or helped out in some small way. I have no idea why it's like that, though.
TCTTS
AG
The tease!

TCTTS
AG
The Batsuit looks so sick. LOVE that material. Definitely different from any iteration we've seen so far.
TCTTS
AG
http://www.batmanvsupermandawnofjustice.com/imax/index.html
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I will not give into hype with this movie like I did Man of Steel. I'll have to see it in theaters to be a believer in Snyder's vision for these characters.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I will not give into hype with this movie like I did Man of Steel. I'll have to see it in theaters to be a believer in Snyder's vision for these characters.

Completely understandable. Though, against my better judgement... I'm starting to believe.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
quote:

Completely understandable. Though, against my better judgement... I'm starting to believe.
I understand, it's so easy to give into, but remember the final trailer for Man of Steel? That thing was amazing. I'm hoping my low expectations will be blown away by the final product, I really am, because these characters deserve incredible films.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

Neither will I. Luckily for me I didn't for Man of Steel because I stay firm in my beliefs that Superman is lame and the most uninteresting superhero there is.

But dammit I'm a sucker for Batman...
Tmoneyag99
AG
Northpark screening already full.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Anyone else think batman's suit looks like it's made of duct tape?
TCTTS
AG
A few seconds have leaked, in super crappy bootleg quality. Basically looks to be an extended version of the Comic-Con footage....

Is Affleck saying, "Tell me... do you bleed?" From what little we can make out, I really like his voice. Can't tell what Cavill is saying in response.

The trailer itself is just over two minutes, and this is only 30 seconds, so there's a quite a bit we're not seeing. But again, it seems to be the Comic-Con sequence with extra footage/cuts spliced amongst it.
TCTTS
AG
Ahhh... it's all Affleck. Saying, "Tell me... do you bleed? You Will."
Aggies76
AG
Nevermind, you got the translation.
Sex Panther
AG
That's what Ultron should've sounded like
Dro07
AG
is this old batman?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
That's what Ultron should've sounded like

This.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
is this old batman?

Basically, yeah. Old-ish.
Tmoneyag99
AG
Here it is if you missed it earlier:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Full trailer has leaked.
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/k2q9ons79cubai9/Batman_vs_Superman__Dawn_of_Justice.mp4
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ben Affleck got RIPPED for this.
YellowPot_97
AG
eh. might be a cool trailer if Star Wars hadn't dropped today.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My thoughts exactly.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Terrible timing on this trailer. All the talk was SW.
Sex Panther
AG
Looks Snyder-rific
Dro07
AG
eh
jabberwalkie09
AG
Meh.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
That looks even more Zack Snyder than I thought it would. If that's Ben Affleck's Batman voice, not at all what I was expecting, so I'm not sure what to think of it.

The whole tone is just so super dark.
TCTTS
AG
Two thoughts...

1) Timing-wise, how can WB be this brand dead? Even releasing the trailer on Monday felt WAY too soon after Star Wars. And they had to know it was going to leak (WB trailers ALWAYS leak). This looks cool, no doubt, but it's a wet fart in comparison to what we saw this morning, which just happened to be one of the most well-received trailers I think I've ever seen. So why not just hold off 'til May to release this, knowing the Star Wars trailer was going to dominate the media landscape for the next few days, regardless of how good or bad it was (even though, again, it was far better than anyone anticipated, which sucks for WB, but still)?

2) That said, as tired as I am of uber-dark-and-gritty (especially in comparison to the PERFECT tone of hope and adventure in the Star Wars trailer), I have to say, I LOVE that a Superman movie is FINALLY addressing how the world would truly react to him. We were promised that in the lead up to Man of Steel - even in the first half of Man of Steel - and never got it. But hearing Charlie Rose and Neil deGrasse Tyson, among other notable voices, pontificate on what the existence of Superman actually means for our species/culture... that legitimately gave me chills. And then to piggyback Batman on to that reaction and let him be the physical embodiment of our concern... well, that's just damn cool and probably the smartest/most believable way to play it.

Anyway, point is, I really liked the trailer, LOVED what it's hinting at, but both of those were overshadowed by how dumb WB is for handling this trailer in the way they have. Might as well just cancel the Monday event now. No way I'd have gone before, and I sure as hell wouldn't go now.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I don't disagree with that, but here are some of my concerns:

1. I don't know if it's just early post production, or maybe just the fact the leak is a cam bootleg, but the overall "look" of the trailer makes me feel like I'm about to play a video game, especially in that opening.

2. Although I do like Batman's overall look, I don't get why his suit looks like it's been sewn back together a bunch of times? I feel like Bruce Wayne could afford a new suit. I do appreciate that he by far, at least in the one shot we have of him, looks the most like the "comic" Batman.

I'll have to see more. I just wish Snyder's visuals weren't so overbearing in the trailer. I hope that gets taken down a little in the post production. I feel like there was more in that there was in Man of Steel.

So I guess all together, feels like a mixed bag. The first two Star Wars teasers did a better job of "hyping", but nobody hypes like JJ Abrams.
TCTTS
AG
^ Agreed. I really think Affleck is going to be nails, but his Batman does seem a bit over-stylized from what we can see in the trailer. And I'm right there with you, re: Snyder's visuals.

Couple other positives, though:

- I really like the "False God" spray paint look/idea on the Superman statue. Feels very Watchmen-esuqe, in a cool way.

- I thought Jeremy Irons sounded great as Alfred.
TCTTS
AG
WB is in a pickle now too. Do they try (and fail) to squash bootlegs for the next three and a half days, or do they just go ahead and release the official HD version ahead of Monday's event?
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
WB is in a pickle now too. Do they try (and fail) to squash bootlegs for the next three and a half days, or do they just go ahead and release the official HD version ahead of Monday's event?
Maybe release a special scene for IMAX folks like Marvel did when the Avengers trailer got leaked?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
Maybe release a special scene for IMAX folks like Marvel did when the Avengers trailer got leaked?

Might be the way to go. Don't know if they can put something together that fast, but who knows.
MrPlow2010
AG
I can't wait to see batman fight with his "iron man" metal suit on. It will be way different than anything we've seen before especially since he is fighting superman.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.