Batman vs. Superman

313,777 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jackie childs
quote:
quote:
This is almost tough to watch. A British journalist asking each cast member + Snyder what they think of the negative reviews so far. Affleck's response, or lack there of, says it all...

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/141606956421/henry-cavill-fan-response-to-batman-v-superman-is

Man, what is the studio thinking sending them out there to an interview like that after all the negative reviews came out? You'd think the moment one of them got asked "hey, nobody likes your movie. What's up with that?" The rest would bail. But even before that, when the terrible reviews hit, press avails should have been curtailed to only the friendliest of venues.

And Snyder basically saying "I made the movie I want to watch" is part of why he's a crappy director. When making a blockbuster, you make the movie your audience wants to watch. Your audience doesn't have to be everybody, but it can't be, "Me."
I didn't really get that from Snyder's comments. I thought he was more trying to say, "I'm a comic book fan and I tried to make the movie that I thought comic book fans (like me) would want to see".
jackie childs
quote:
Maybe I'm a mean person but I hope it bombs.
Hollywood has lost any last semblance of originality; and simply trotting out the same tired overused characters and saying "here" shouldn't net them millions in basically free money for characters they didn't even create. They should have to actually earn their money like everyone else in the creative world especially.

I like original ideas and would love to see more of them too, but I'm not sure that a blockbuster like this bombing is going to have the effect you desire.

if WB loses its ass on this movie, I'm not sure they're going to be looking to take more financial risks going forward?
Max Power
AG
I've only read a few reviews and it seems the major criticism is of Zach Snyder. Evidently Affleck does a decent job, I definitely wasn't rooting against him. A bad superhero movie is a huge bummer.

I hope it doesn't bomb, because I would love a quality justice league movie or two, but perhaps if the criticism is bad enough maybe they can take the keys away from Zach Snyder.

Marvel has done a solid job of putting out a quality product, why DC/WB would give the keys to the entire kingdom to the guy that directed Sucker Punch I just don't know.

I really hope Suicide Squad is better, it definitely looks more fun, and that's what superhero movies should be...fun. Deadpool is the most fun I've had at a movie in a long time, and it's exactly what I wanted. Guardians of the Galaxy as well...just plain fun.

Evidently they crammed too much in, so it suffered.

Based on the Lego Batman trailer they should have done Lego Batman vs Lego Superman: Lego Dawn of Lego Justice
oragator
quote:
quote:
Hollywood has lost any last semblance of originality; and simply trotting out the same tired overused characters and saying "here" shouldn't net them millions in basically free money for characters they didn't even create. They should have to actually earn their money like everyone else in the creative world especially.

I like original ideas and would love to see more of them too, but I'm not sure that a blockbuster like this bombing is going to have the effect you desire.

if WB loses its ass on this movie, I'm not sure they're going to be looking to take more financial risks going forward?

I am not delusional, little will change. But if it even moves the needle one spot towards script and plot over special effects (which is cheaper and lowers risk) or actual ideas over an almost insulting percentage of "reboots", remakes and retreads then I'm happy.
There's definitely a place for beloved characters to come back, popcorn flicks etc, but the pendulum has swung too far.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am not delusional, little will change. But if it even moves the needle one spot towards script and plot over special effects (which is cheaper and lowers risk) or actual ideas over an almost insulting percentage of "reboots", remakes and retreads then I'm happy.
There's definitely a place for beloved characters to come back, popcorn flicks etc, but the pendulum has swung too far.
I honestly doubt that it will, at least not due to this particular film.

The issue in this case isn't the material, it's the execution. The Batman family of films has made close to $4 billion worldwide and we've yet to have a film with any of these characters together till now, there's some great storytelling with these characters that we've never seen on screen. (I'm still waiting on the Batman film I want I as well, but I may be in the minority there.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.theonion.com/article/batman-v-superman-promotion-urges-filmgoers-just-g-52623
Bruce Almighty
AG
Hollywood has never been original.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
but there are tons of people who: (a) were going to see it no matter how bad the reviews are, or (b) simply aren't as critical and will enjoy it as a "popcorn flick". there's no doubt it's going to be seen by a lot of people.
This is me. Batman is my all-time favorite comic book character and I love love love the Justice League, so I'll go see it regardless.
Deputy Travis Junior
Thing is, I'm not sure you can enjoy it as a popcorn flick. Every review says it's ridiculously somber and dark, and obsessed with the "fallen God" angle (in addition to its god awful narrative issues).

With Nolan and Marvel showing what superhero movies can be worth decent writing and acting, studios can no longer mail it in, shout "hey look your favorite superheroes!", and expect people to accept that. The bar is higher now.
TajMaballer
AG
In the theater now.. Not packed at all for a movie that starts in 45 minutes.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Would love to hear your reaction in the other thread once you get out.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Would love to hear your reaction in the other thread once you get out.

Absolutely!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
I've only read a few reviews and it seems the major criticism is of Zach Snyder. Evidently Affleck does a decent job, I definitely wasn't rooting against him. A bad superhero movie is a huge bummer.

I hope it doesn't bomb, because I would love a quality justice league movie or two, but perhaps if the criticism is bad enough maybe they can take the keys away from Zach Snyder.

Marvel has done a solid job of putting out a quality product, why DC/WB would give the keys to the entire kingdom to the guy that directed Sucker Punch I just don't know.

I really hope Suicide Squad is better, it definitely looks more fun, and that's what superhero movies should be...fun. Deadpool is the most fun I've had at a movie in a long time, and it's exactly what I wanted. Guardians of the Galaxy as well...just plain fun.

Evidently they crammed too much in, so it suffered.

Based on the Lego Batman trailer they should have done Lego Batman vs Lego Superman: Lego Dawn of Lego Justice

Antman is a good example of this as well. The best job Marvel has done with a serious one is winter soldier, and that is more of a spy movie than anything.

Oh and Daredevil. The key there is have the viewer impacted by the gravity of the situation without coming off as pretentious or pandering.
D12Lloyd
AG
Seeing the movie at 7:45. Will report back in the spoilers thread
TCTTS
AG
As much as I'm looking forward to TexAgs BvS reactions tonight, I gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed you guys aren't watching the sweet sixteen game. How do you choose a movie with a 31% RT score over one of the most important games in the history of our program?
Knife_Party
quote:
As much as I'm looking forward to TexAgs BvS reactions tonight, I gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed you guys aren't watching the sweet sixteen game. How do you choose a movie with a 31% RT score over one of the most important games in the history of our program?

No matter how bad BvS is, it won't make me burst an artery.
Vander
AG
quote:

Hence why I am going tomorrow night.
jabberwalkie09
AG

D12Lloyd
AG
I'm watching it on my phone until the movie starts. But it's hard for me to enjoy Aggie basketball. I'm mad the entire time. Even when we win. But sitting here thinking about it, also being a huge Batman fan and all comics my entire life. I'll probably be mad the entire time during the movie as well. Haha
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Many probably bought their ticket well before we win the last game miraculously. Like me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Batman has a better shot against Superman sans armor, than we had of winning that game.
D12Lloyd
AG
I'm also DVRing it. So if we win I'll watch what I missed. And we will have the elite 8 on Saturday. If we lose, I wouldn't want to watch anyway.
D12Lloyd
AG
Yeah that's me. Bought my ticket long ago, not knowing we'd be playing today
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Batman has a better shot against Superman sans armor, than we had of winning that game.
Well yeah, but that isn't saying much.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Worse odds: us winning that game or Zach Snyder ever winning an Oscar?
toucan82
somewhere there's a UNI fan who stumbled onto texags last week who is reading this thread and is hating all of you right now
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
Well yeah, but that isn't saying much.

Eh?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Snyder's gotta have at least a 1% chance of winning one in his lifetime, no? Our chances were closer to 0.1%.
oragator
quote:
Fwiw, of the AFI top 100 movies of all time, exactly one is from this century - LOR.

http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx

It has most decidedly gotten worse, even if you allow for nostalgia driving some votes or early movie developments being rewarded.
FaceMask
Holeee sheeet!!that was fantastic
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:
Fwiw, of the AFI top 100 movies of all time, exactly one is from this century - LOR.

http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx

It has most decidedly gotten worse, even if you allow for nostalgia driving some votes or early movie developments being rewarded.

There were three times as many westerns made in the 40s and 50s than superhero movies made today. Same goes with gangster movies in the 30s and film noir in the 40s/50s. Hollywood has always wanted the easy buck.

And that list is almost 10 years old.
TCTTS
AG
I take back what I said. BvS was obviously a better choice than this game.
fig96
AG
quote:
I take back what I said. BvS was obviously a better choice than this game.
I was just thinking something similar. Ugh.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.