Batman vs. Superman

313,860 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And then Henry Cavill on the same set as Superman...

(the robe is a cover for paparazzi, not part of the costume)

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/19/2014 12:48p).]
TCTTS
AG
And now Devin at Badass Digest is chiming in about McNairy's green socks. He's not 100% sure on that front, but his sources tell him this is the crew that will be assembled by the end of the movie, to set up Justice League...

- Superman
- Batman
- Wonder Woman
- Aquaman
- Cyborg
- The Flash

Says Green Lantern will then join at some point during JL (and just fyi, not the Ryan Reynolds version).

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/19/rumor-scoot-mcnairy-is-the-flash-in-batman-v-superman/

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/19/2014 12:56p).]
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Cyborg? Good grief, are they going to have the Wonder Twins, and their space monkey Gleek as well?

If Flash and Superman don't have a foot race at some point, I'm going to be pissed off.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Flash
DartAg1970
AG
I like the idea of a Justice League movie. There is a lot left to be seen obviously, I just can't seem to get excited for this.

To me the reason the Avengers has done so well is the development of the individual characters in their own movies. Iron Man starting it off, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, then bringing in some of the other characters (Black Widow, etc.) in for smaller roles but still allowing those characters to develop so that by the time the first Avengers movie came out there was back story and a reason for all f these people to be together, other than simply "They are the Avengers so here we go."

Justice League just seems like they are trying to get to Avengers level too quick. They pop out a semi successful Superman movie and then in one sequal they introduce almost the entire Justice League. While it may work for those fans who are extremely familiar with the justice league, I feel like the reason the Avengers has been so successfull is because they reach a much more broad audience by providing back story so "newcomers" could follow a storyline, while Justice League assumes you already know this information and if you don't "oh well." Just comes across to me like they will not have as much of an audience because there are some people who will lose interest since they did not grow up in the comics to know each character's back story.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it is worth.
toucan82
I see that Hollywood's anti-Martian bias is still strong
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
DartAg - that's pretty much the common sentiment for a majority of fans of the making of movies.

That DC is so desperate to replicate Marvel's success, but have no intention of going through the steps that Marvel did to get there -

reminds me of Malcolm's speech in Jurassic Park about standing on the shoulders of giants and spending so much time seeing if you could, you never stopped to think if you should.

Marvel rolled the dice with Downey Jr. in Ironman 6 years ago, and in the time since has mapped out a brilliant step by step strategy that culminated in people making the Avengers, which didn't have Luke Skywalker, a Disney princess, Batman, Superman, or any other iconic figure - into the #3 movie ever.

DC had such marvelous success with the Bale/Nolan Batman movies, but once they saw the business that the Avengers did, they wet their pants trying to figure out how to get the Justice League on screen as fast as possible.

And Marvel could have just kept generating Avener-related spinoffs and sequels, but instead rolled the dice again with GOTG, and it's going to be bigger than everything except Avengers and (probably) Ironman 3.

God knows what DC will try to do to counter that move - a roadtrip comedy starring Black Vulcan, Samurai and Apache Chief?

Dread Pirate Roberts
quote:
a roadtrip comedy starring Black Vulcan, Samurai and Apache Chief

I'm interested in that movie!
TCTTS
AG
First good look at the "new" Superman suit via Henry Cavill & Amy Adams' ice bucket challenge...

http://vimeo.com/104408762

In those paparazzi pics from a few days ago, why go to all that trouble to cover up a suit we've all seen - a suit that has only seen insignificant updates since the last iteration - but then show the entire thing here? And then dump water all over it? Maybe the robe is to keep it clean instead of hidden?
TCTTS
AG
Actually, seeing as both Cavill and Adams already look pretty wet before the challenge, they had probably just shot some kind of water (Aquaman?) scene. Hence why everyone is ok with pouring water all over the suit (since each one of those suits is literally hundreds of thousands of dollars otherwise)...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/26/2014 8:05p).]
Seven Psycho Ags
Maybe it's all torn and bloody underneath?
TCTTS
AG
^ Could be. Good call.
Seven Psycho Ags
His face is still in pristine condition though
TCTTS
AG
Ha, this Jeff Wells guy is notoriously one of the most eccentric movie bloggers/writers out there. His posts are filled with weird observations and cranky old man gripes, and this Henry Cavill hairline post is no exception. Does Wells not realize Cavill's hair is just slicked back more for this movie? Doesn't look like his hairline actually receding...

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2014/08/bird-plane-hair-club-men/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was half expecting Batfleck to walk out and pour the last bucket. In costume of course.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
That damn British accent. I remember when he was first cast, Colbert went (fake) irate on his show that a Brit was Superman, saying "He's Super Man, not Smashing Lad!"
Aggies76
AG
^^^
Well, we all know how Brandon Routh turned out, the guy with the true Midwest accent.
israeliag
AG
Still weird to think that technically the latest versions of Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man have all been portrayed by Brits.
TCTTS
AG
Can't believe Forrest Gump wasn't played by an actual retarded person.
scoop12
AG
Plenty of people in England pissed that Sherlock Holmes is played by an American. Same idea.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Can't believe Forrest Gump wasn't played by an actual retarded person.

Ghandi was played by Ben Kingsley! He's not even a little bit Indian.

Never mind he is half

[This message has been edited by TajMaballer (edited 8/26/2014 10:44p).]
Aggies76
AG
And Maggie Thatcher portrayed by Meryl Streep? Preposterous.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I realize you're joking, but "retarded" is a really ugly word.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I realize you're joking, but "retarded" is a really ugly word.

I can understand it being derogatory to call someone a "retard" in a mean-spirited way, but "retarded person" is bad now? I think people's perversion of the word makes it "ugly," but I didn't think using it as general descriptor in a passing, non-mean way was offensive. And this is coming from someone who, after living outside of Texas for years now, cringes when I go back and hear "gay" still being used as stupid/dumb.

I don't want to offend anyone, but in this case, using the alternative - like "mentally challenged" - almost felt like trying to be overly PC. It was just an off-handed comment meant to mock the people getting upset at actors acting, not anyone else.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
One of my twins has mild CP and wears orthotics to walk. Once at her daycare, another kid's dad loudly asked the teacher around pick-up time, "What's wrong with her, is she retarded or something?" unaware that both her mother and I were within 5 feet of him.

I imagine this clarifies my sensitivity to its use.

I do not think you meant it as anything other than the off-handed joke. But for someone like myself, and a whole lot of others, that word is as offensive as the one that rhymes with maggot or the one that rhymes with bigger.

TCTTS
AG
My apologies. For whatever reason, I've just never associated the word "retarded" with something overly offensive, or with the F and N words you alluded to. But that's probably due to ignorance on my part.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oddly I was just discussing the word with someone yesterday. It has a negative connotation now, but it DID used to be the "correct" term for mentally handicapped people. Strange how that happened.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm sorry to derail the thread, and to single you out, TC. Clearly, I've taken some shots at you in the past, but overall I enjoy your posts, and whenever I see your user handle as the last entry on the Star Wars thread, I rush to it hoping it's more information, even though I said I wouldn't look.

Back to Supes vs. Bats talk.
TCTTS
swimmerbabe11
Jason Momoa as aquaman? Are they going to dye his hair blonde?

Also, Gal Godot seems too petite. I would think someone built like Liv Tyler might be a better match.

[This message has been edited by swimmerbabe11 (edited 8/27/2014 12:49p).]
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I just can't figure out how either WW or Aquaman is going to be in this thing for more than 5 minutes.
TCTTS
AG
^ I don't think they will. Aquaman is apparently nothing more than a cameo in this movie. And WW might have 10 minutes?

As for Liv Tyler, I've always had a huge crush on her, but no way 2014 Liv Tyler could pull off WW. Possibly LOTR-era Tyler, though.
swimmerbabe11
I didn't mean her as an actress, I just mean her as an historical body type.

Wonder Woman is a damned Amazon. She should be shapely and tall and crossfitty.
swimmerbabe11
I love aquaman. I wish there was a way to do it right, but I think it would really really really difficult.
YouBet
AG
Are we not liking Momoa as Aquaman solely because he's not blond because other than that I think he would be an awesome fit. Granted, Aquaman has almost no credibility in the comics universe so it may not matter who is cast.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.