Batman vs. Superman

313,825 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sent, Sea Pony 07.
Simplebay
AG

maybe he'll be a little rusty
Gradin
AG
No need to wait for the Batman vs Superman movie! The best version possible is right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nYCVnWStLrg
Gradin
AG
And if you enjoyed that, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzNMtGx_cZc&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLryvqFdNKaPwe2QYCCjsYG_z3i-lMmJQo
TCTTS
AG
If any of this is to be believed, this is sounding more and more like Justice League: The Prequel. It's like watching a car crash in super slow motion...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=90019
TCTTS
AG
Ok, good. This guy is the authority...

elmayimbe ‏@elmayimbe
Not true. At all. "@ComicBook_Movie: EXCLUSIVE: Lex Luthor Character & Scene Descriptions For BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN http://fb.me/JkHSWy71"
Aggie_Journalist
AG
That JL script is terribly 90s in the way it handles super heroes. Thanks for the share, though. Was interesting to read.

I just don't think DC's universe is as adaptable to modern times as Marvel's is without some major retconning. SHIELD has emerged as a great fill-in for modern concerns about big government and a great way to tie the universe together.

On the DC side, they're still wasting time playing around with secret identities — something the Avengers all ditched virtually from the get-go — and DC's top heroes, Batman and Superman, simply can't fight on a level playing field, whether it's one-on-one or working together.

Superman plus Batman vs. an enemy is like Gimli + Legolas. One kicks so much butt that the other's contribution in a fight is reduced to little more than a punch line.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Gimili kills 42 orcs at the Battle of the Hornburg, Legolas kills 41.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Superman plus Batman vs. an enemy is like Gimli + Legolas. One kicks so much butt that the other's contribution in a fight is reduced to little more than a punch line.

So much wrong in this statement. Gimli is a BAMF, he's just not as flashy as Legolas.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
^I'm talking in the movies.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Journalists who don't read classics.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I've read the books 3 times. I'm referencing the movies because we're discussing a movie. If we were Discussing the novel "Batman vs Superman," I'd obviously I talk about how gimli is a badass.
AMW2010
AG
Back in October I was watching I am Legend on tv, and at the start when will is hunting for deer, one of the billboards in time square are had a picture of like batman vs superman the bat logo/superman S... thought that was interesting
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Journalist, you must have missed the extended edition of Two Towers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypZLnDaqo1M

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 11/14/2013 2:10p).]
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
Journalist, you must have missed the extended edition of Two Towers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypZLnDaqo1M

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 11/14/2013 2:10p).]

Hah.
TCTTS
AG
This tweet was just backed-up by one of the guys in-the-know...

Daniel Alter ‏@DAlter007
Can't wait for #BatmanvsSuperman.. #batfleck semi-retired/not speaking to Robin anymore.. Controlling drones from the batcave.

Yet another element that could be used in a potential Beyond movie. Before reading that, my very vague, half-baked idea so far was that even in his 60s/70s, Wayne still uses some kind of remote way of monitoring/investigating various crimes, or even potentially fighting off criminals. Maybe Batman has been retired for twenty years or so, but then these mysterious, remote "drones" - or whatever you want to call them (maybe something like a cooler, stealthier version of those remote spiders in Minority Report) - are spotted every once in a while, rumored about, etc. Just like how Batman was when he first appeared on the scene. In fact, maybe the drones act/look much like bats themselves, and there's an old detective - or maybe even McGinnis himself - who starts looking into where they're coming from, with a hunch that the long-ago-retired Batman may be behind them.

Either way, as effective as these drones are at times, they don't compare to a real, live human doing the same work. However Wayne and McGinnis eventually cross paths, McGinnis ultimately wants to be trained, be out there using Wayne's gear to fight crime, help take down whatever emerging threat is starting to present itself, etc. But there's a lot of thematic friction between the two with Bruce not thinking McGinnis is ready, claiming he doesn't have the proper/same motivation he had, etc. Point being, once whatever looming threat becomes too large, and Wayne's drones aren't proving as effective against it/them, he has no choice but to finally train McGinnis, send him into the field, etc.

I could dive into a lot more detail, but regardless, it really is starting to feel like the BvS version of Batman may actually be stepping on the toes of a potential Beyond version (especially with the Nightwing stuff). Granted, the very fact that the Beyond version would be set in a future 30-40-or-so years from now - and would feature a truly old Bruce Wayne (not just semi-retired) - would likely separate it enough. I was just hoping the Bruce Wayne of BvS wouldn't share any of the retired/drone type elements, thus helping the Beyond version to feel more fresh. Guess we'll just have to see what else we learn in the next few weeks/months, re: BvS.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 11/15/2013 11:23a).]
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, this got my mind racing even more...

McGinnis IS a cop/detective. Again, I haven't watched a single episode of the Beyond series yet, but regardless, this movie version would be more "inspired by," adapting various ideas from it, without being a literal adaptation on the whole. So McGinnis can be anything/anyone, as long as the same basic dynamic exists between he and Bruce (and whatever other characters are brought over).

And McGinnis as a young cop/detective in a future Gotham makes a lot of sense. He could basically be like a more athletic version of Gordon, in that he's a straight shooter in a potentially corrupt system. That, and he's stymied by all the bureaucratic nonsense that keeps guys like him from truly doing their job, what's right, etc. He could still have an edge and d*ckishness about him, but ultimately, he's a good guy trying to do what's right in a corrupt world.

And if you keep the "bat-drone" angle, it's McGinnis' detective skills that eventually lead him to Bruce. However he connects the dots or follows the trail, he eventually one-ups the greatest detective alive - Bruce Wayne - and discovers that it's Bruce behind these things; "drones," which, again, are actually getting the job done / helping out. But it's ultimately a re-working of the old conceit that the police force/system can't have an outside force taking the law into their own hands. Maybe Gotham PD, back in the day, eventually turned a blind eye to, and even cooperated with Batman, but twenty years later, in this new world, they're not gonna put up with it.

But McGinnis feels differently. And somehow he's finally severed from the force. After some big event at the end of act one - whether he quits or is dismissed or even ultimately fakes his own death - all ties are cut with the Gotham PD. Then, in order to fight crime - and take on whatever emerging villainous threat is presenting itself - McGinnis takes matters into his own hands by attempting to convince Bruce to essentially let him do what Batman did all those years ago.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 11/15/2013 12:55p).]
Blanco Jimenez
AG
I haven't watched the show yet but I'm fixing to start it on Netflix. I'm going to be really disappointed if the story line isn't something like you just typed out. I'd be in to watch that movie!
TCTTS
jeffk
AG
There's a key piece of the McGinnis - Wayne connection in the last episode of Justice League Unlimited series (also on Netflix).
Old Sarge
AG
I like the somewhat bloated version #2 Batman in the first page pics.

Batman is supposed to be a vigilante superhero. Why not have a beer drinkin'-watch the news after a rack of ribs- get his kick ass on Batman.

An all American type.
Quad Dog
AG
quote:
There's a key piece of the Mcinnis - Wayne connection in the last episode of Justice League Unlimited series (also on Netflix).

Batman Beyond also crosses over with the season finale of the first season. Current JLA travels into the future. Which leads to one of my favorite DC animated movements. Present day Batman and future old Bruce interacting and playing good cop/bad cop to interrogate a suspect.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
That's the Brilliant "Once and Future Thing" from JLA. As the timeline is altered, Jhon Stewart becomes Hal Jordan, then switches back to John Stewart a few minutes later. Awesome stuff
fig96
AG
quote:

Batman is supposed to be a vigilante superhero. Why not have a beer drinkin'-watch the news after a rack of ribs- get his kick ass on Batman.

An all American type.

You need to read The Dark Knight Returns my friend.
SterlingMalloryArcher
TCTTS, didn't you just describe JGL's character from TDKR?
Quad Dog
AG
Also sounds like a bit like Tim Drake, the third Robin.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

It's been said already, but he's not bloated he's in his 50's.

quote:

To get my nerd on, that's literally the exact opposite of Batman/Bruce Wayne.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
TCTTS, didn't you just describe JGL's character from TDKR?

Ha, I guess so. Though, the Gotham PD of TDKR wasn't really corrupt anymore. Blake left more for his own reasons, and on his own accord. The McGinnis version I was describing would likely be forced out, or some big event would sever his ties the force. I see it almost like a Will Smith in MIB, or a RoboCop type situation, where McGinnis basically gives up his former life/ID once he teams up with Bruce.

quote:
Also sounds like a bit like Tim Drake, the third Robin.

There was a THIRD Robin? Didn't even know there was a second. Ha, this is why I don't read comics.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 11/17/2013 3:31p).]
jeffk
AG
While were on the topic of helping TT research his screenplay, here's another suggestion:

Under the Red Hood (also on Netflix) does a great job outlining the story of the second Robin, Jason Todd. It's probably my favorite of the mini features that I've seen on the Batman universe.
TCTTS
AG
Noted. Will try to start watching this stuff early in the new year...
jeffk
AG
Cool. Once you finish, you can send the jet to Houston to pick up me and fig so we can fly out to LA to start planning this movie.
TCTTS
Sex Panther
AG
Under the Red Hood is pretty good. But I still hate Robin and think he's the gigantic black eye on what should be the greatest comic/superhero mythos of all time.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Had they stopped with the first Robin/Nightwing then I wouldn't mind. They should have stopped with the Robin stuff and even Batgirl stuff after that.

[This message has been edited by Son of 73 (edited 11/17/2013 8:34p).]
palmerjerr
Lol those are nice toys but real batman aint so bulk like ronnie coleman.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.