Batman vs. Superman

313,799 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Quad Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
If not a couple of years before, I think by 2020 the cinematic superhero genre will have long since worn out its welcome. It'll have had a phenomenal 20-year run (starting with X-Men in 2000), but I can already start to feel the unrest and fatigue boiling, and by the end of the decade audiences are going to move onto whatever the next big blockbuster trend is. Just remember... tonight was the first legit twinge.
I'm not so sure. It seems like Marvel is figuring out that you can use superheroes to tell genre stories. They use Cap for espionage, Guardians for Sci-fi, Strange for horror/magic, Ant-Man for capers, Daredevil for beat 'em up. If superhero movies are going to survive, I think they'll have to change away from spectacle movies into genre movies staring a superhero.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Not to get too off topic, but I really am curious what blockbuster cinema is going to look like next decade. Superhero movies will have covered all conceivable ground, Star Wars will have long-since reached peek saturation, the next three Avatar movies will have beat that already-dead horse into the ground, the Harry Potter prequel trilogy will be over, Daniel Craig would have played Bond one last time, and Godzilla would have already fought King Kong. Where do we possibly go from there? I'm really, truly hoping high-concept original ideas/content start to be king again...
Based on the current popularity of TV watched in my house, the new blockbusters will be:

Dora and Friends into the City
Paw Patrol
Peppa Pig
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Spot on.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
What are those things with wings flying around Desert Storm Batman?
Best guess I've seen on other sites is an army of Darkseid's Parademons.

Although what they're doing in what we are assuming is a dream sequence is just another "wtf" moment in this movie.
rhutton125
AG
Saw some speculation that they may be Bat drones or something. Not sure I buy it.

Asian assistant is Tao Okamoto (I think?), as seen in The Wolverine from 2013. And yes she's beautiful
MooreTrucker
AG

quote:
Here's WB's current DC slate, post BvS...

2016 - Suicide Squad (in post-production)
2017 - Wonder Woman (currently filming)
2017 - Justice League: Part 1 (in pre-production)
2018 - The Flash (director attached, being written/cast)
2018 - Aquaman (director attached, being written/cast)
2019 - Shazam
2019 - Justice League: Part 2
2020 - Cyborg
2020 - Green Lantern
TBA - The Batman

I've been a DC over Marvel fan since I was a kid, and legitimately love that these movies are being made (except Suicide Squad, Shazam, and Cyborg, who I know nothing about...after my time I guess). My favorite heroes were Batman, Flash, and Green Lantern, and I loved the JLA as a whole. I just hope they don't all suck like y'all seem to think they will.

And FTR, I love the Marvel movies, just liked DC better back in the day.
rhutton125
AG
I feel like the glue that holds the MCU together is Kevin Feige, and I had no clue who he was until around the time of the 2012 Avengers. I don't want to put him on a pedestal, but everything has pretty much gone according to plan so far. And I'm quite impressed with said plan.

I'm not sure who the Feife is for the DC film universe. Zack Snyder? I sure hope not, but I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
quote:
I feel like the glue that holds the MCU together is Kevin Feige, and I had no clue who he was until around the time of the 2012 Avengers. I don't want to put him on a pedestal, but everything has pretty much gone according to plan so far. And I'm quite impressed with said plan.

I'm not sure who the Feife is for the DC film universe. Zack Snyder? I sure hope not, but I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Geoff Johns is the DC version of Feige I think,
G.I.Bro
The one part I liked about the trailer was Batman leaping to the side of the building then grapple hooking away. I loved Nolan'so trilogy (even TDKR for all its flaws), but I've been ready for a comic book Batman movie.
bdenby
AG
Why can't I like this 1,00,000,000 times?
Simplebay
AG
quote:
Is it possible it's JUST a bad trailer?

Anyone know if the first and second trailers were made by the same people? If so, you have to wonder what the hell happened because that first trailer was just nails.

HAD to have been knee jerk to the Star Wars ramp up and then Civil War nuclear facefking it gave everyone.

The consensus has been as near unanimous as you can get that this is a turrible trailer.

If this trailer was worked on for a month+ meticulously then DC is screwed. The music alone...
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, I'm not buying any of this DC stuff so far (but I'll no doubt still see B v S). I was never a comic guy. Marvel won me over with the first Ironman movie. So far I'm 50/50 on man of steel and these new trailers for BvS and suicide squad are not hitting their mark.

To be fair though... I'm so excited for Star Wars that everything else seems meh.
MASAXET
AG
I was Marvel kid growing up and didn't read hardly any DC stuff. Batman was the only DC character I liked (which legitimately is one of my favorites), never really loved any others, and always hated Superman so much.

Having said that, I've been crazy excited about these new DC movies, probably more so than most people. I guess I'm one of the few that like the darker tone they're taking, and love the idea of exploring the consequences and collateral damage from superheroes. I'm even really excited about Suicide Squad, and seems like everyone here already hates it.

Having said that, I also hated this trailer. Not for anything substantive in the trailer (well the cgi did look kind of weak), but just becuase they gave so much of the movie away. I know there's probably more that's been left out, and I know everyone knows Batman and Superman will unite in the end, but you don't have to show us that in the trailer. Or ruin most of your big character reveals. I'm still excited about the movie, but I can't lie that this trailer dampened the enthusiasm a bit.
The Collective
AG
Not a big comic book turned movie fan (with exception to Batman), but I think most of them look pretty badass and enjoy it for what it is. This movie looks like it is going to absolutely suck based off of that trailer.
rhutton125
AG
I actually kinda like the "no joke policy" or whatever that DC has. I'm pretty anti-comic relief. But I realized upon rewatching Man of Steel that they truly had made a movie with no comic relief, and it was sooo uber serious that it kinda sucked the life out of some of it. Although I suppose it still had some attempts at humor that I thought were flat or cheesy (like the S symbol discussion, why don't you call yourself *mic feedback noise*).

But I guess it's also worth admitting that, upon seeing Man from Uncle, I don't like Cavill that much as an actor. His suave boldness comes across to me as smarmy and pretentious. Young Superman wasn't bad though - we'll see how the more experienced Superman carries himself.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
I actually kinda like the "no joke policy" or whatever that DC has. I'm pretty anti-comic relief. But I realized upon rewatching Man of Steel that they truly had made a movie with no comic relief, and it was sooo uber serious that it kinda sucked the life out of some of it. Although I suppose it still had some attempts at humor that I thought were flat or cheesy (like the S symbol discussion, why don't you call yourself *mic feedback noise*).

But I guess it's also worth admitting that, upon seeing Man from Uncle, I don't like Cavill that much as an actor. His suave boldness comes across to me as smarmy and pretentious. Young Superman wasn't bad though - we'll see how the more experienced Superman carries himself.
it almost seems to take itself too serious.

and I hate the exchange between Lex, Clark and Bruce where Lex says something like 'Clark Kent, meet Bruce Wayne"... i'm surprised they didn't pause, all look at the camara and wink at the audience.
Bobcat06
AG
The worst part of the trailer is that in a movie called Batman VS Superman, it shows the exact moment when the film stops being about Batman vs Superman
ceezy7
AG
Wish I never watched the trailer everything is pretty much spoiled...
GiveEmHellBill
AG
It's still so mind-blowing that a REPORTER for a major newspaper does not know who the richest guy on the planet (who happens to live one city over and who apparently has an office skyscraper in Metropolis) is......
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
It's still so mind-blowing that a REPORTER for a major newspaper does not know who the richest guy on the planet (who happens to live one city over and who apparently has an office skyscraper in Metropolis) is......

I've been thinking about this and there may be some explanations. He may not see Bruce's face and instead sees a flashy car pull up and everyone crowding around, so that could explain the question.

Or he could just be playing dumb, although I'm not sure how that's in his best interest.

What's even more baffling is why one billionaire feels compelled to introduce another billionaire to a reporter... But I guess they could have an explanation.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
The worst part of the trailer is that in a movie called Batman VS Superman, it shows the exact moment when the film stops being about Batman vs Superman
And that "she's with you" joke is SO played out.
MASAXET
AG
quote:
quote:

I've been thinking about this and there may be some explanations. He may not see Bruce's face and instead sees a flashy car pull up and everyone crowding around, so that could explain the question.

Or he could just be playing dumb, although I'm not sure how that's in his best interest.

What's even more baffling is why one billionaire feels compelled to introduce another billionaire to a reporter... But I guess they could have an explanation.
I'm with you and think people are freaking out too much on this. It seems like Kent clearly know who Wayne is, and seems to even know about the Batman persona. They both seem to be coyly squaring off against each other given their conversation.
rhutton125
AG
The only way the Kent/Wayne/Luthor interactions make sense, IMO, is if Luthor knows both their identities. The chest pounding and veiled threats also makes more sense if both heroes knows the others identity as well.

But TBH that's a lot of crappy secret identity-ing by the only two heroes we've seen so far.

Also, I hope when the Trinity stops Doomsday and Luthor that nobody apprehends Lex and says "I thought you loved bringing people together." I'm cringing in advance.
TCTTS
AG
I'm 99% certain that Clark, Bruce, and Luthor already know everyone's identity in that scene. Luthor hints at Clark's identity with the handshake comment, and then Clark and Bruce obviously know who each other really are with their little jabs. It's worth noting again that Luthor is the one masterminding this whole conflict. Yes, Bruce is already pissed at Superman, but it's Luthor who chirps in his ear, and then in Superman's as well, pitting them against each other. He knows absolutely everything about each of these guys. When Batman and public opinion then fail to deter Superman, Luthor goes to the extreme with Doomsday.
TCTTS
AG
Somehow missed your post, rhutton. But yeah, we're definitely on the same page.
Dro07
AG
Outside of Bats having a lead lined mask Sups knows who he is the first moment he sees bats in his suit.
bedofbrass33
AG
Chiming in here as a casual fan of superhero movies. TDK trilogy is an enjoyable rewatch for me. Iron Man 1 and Capt 2 are regular rewatches. GotG is in my top 5 all time.

I'm getting superhero fatigue, even from Marvel. Ant-Man was enjoyable but I just couldn't really get up for it. Avengers 2 left me feeling kind of exhausted.

This trailer completely ruined this movie for me and I won't take time to watch it. I shared most of the critical thoughts expressed in this thread even while I was watching the trailer. I try really hard to be open minded about media and not nitpick as anyone who reads the Walking Dead threads here can find. However, I have limited time and give-a-damn for media these days. DC is now off my radar.

Mr. White
quote:
Eisenberg seems like he's channeling Jim Carrey's Riddler

That and Travolta in Battlefield Earth.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:

You actually saw that?!?!
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Funniest comedy of the year 2000
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Rifftrax.

The ONLY way to watch that movie.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Outside of Bats having a lead lined mask Sups knows who he is the first moment he sees bats in his suit.
I think this is one of those things that we, in the real world, would expect but that doesn't happen in the "comic" world.

Supes wouldn't/couldn't just scan through every villain or hero's mask. That would make sense. Just like the rest of the world doesn't recognize Clark Kent is Superman because Kent wears glasses and Superman doesn't. Even though they are clearly the same person.
Mr. White
I jist cut out mu eyess o I'd never have to resd the word supes agaon

.goodvye
FTACO97
AG
quote:
quote:
It feels like everyone here was expecting bad and you're all looking for anything and everything to pick on....
This.
This This
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
I'm 99% certain that Clark, Bruce, and Luthor already know everyone's identity in that scene. Luthor hints at Clark's identity with the handshake comment, and then Clark and Bruce obviously know who each other really are with their little jabs. It's worth noting again that Luthor is the one masterminding this whole conflict. Yes, Bruce is already pissed at Superman, but it's Luthor who chirps in his ear, and then in Superman's as well, pitting them against each other. He knows absolutely everything about each of these guys. When Batman and public opinion then fail to deter Superman, Luthor goes to the extreme with Doomsday.

That would make sense, but Clark does ask his buddy who Bruce Wayne is when Bruce gets out of his car at seemingly the same event. If Clark already knows Batman = Bruce Wayne, then he'd probably know who Bruce Wayne is.

Maybe y'all are right, but this is from the director/studio that had pa Kent walk into a tornado.

For folks wondering why DC doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, it's because pa Kent walked into a tornado.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.