Batman vs. Superman

313,845 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not to get too off topic, but I really am curious what blockbuster cinema is going to look like next decade. Superhero movies will have covered all conceivable ground, Star Wars will have long-since reached peek saturation, the next three Avatar movies will have beat that already-dead horse into the ground, the Harry Potter prequel trilogy will be over, Daniel Craig would have played Bond one last time, and Godzilla would have already fought King Kong. Where do we possibly go from there? I'm really, truly hoping high-concept original ideas/content start to be king again...
Sex Panther
AG
I hope sci-fi makes a comeback... not that it's really ever gone anywhere, and it's more broad a genre than something like "Superheroes" ...but I just love a good, original sci-fi concept.

I'm still ok with the superheroes for now, mainly because I just think what Marvel has done has been amazing, but I definitely get what your saying... The saturation will eventually start to lead to some apathy.

But I'll tell you what genre has really worn out its welcome with me... Teen dystopian blockbusters adapted from their formulaic books needs to go.
TCTTS
AG
With you on all accounts. More sci-fi, less teen dystopia. Though, the later feels like it's already on the way out. There's another Divergent movie and another Maze Runner movie coming, but I think that'll pretty much be it, at least for a while.
TCTTS
AG
Back to BvS... modern monster/alien/creature CGI/design is so terrible. This is just pathetic...

Noblemen06
AG
In the (significant) minority here but I dug it. Granted, I don't know a lick about how to market a movie.
Madmarttigan
AG
Okay I am a man of steel lover and I loved the whole batman vs superman aspect but I am not impressed with doomsday showing up. It will be some rushed half assedd ending where they all team up and become buddy buddy. It was so much more interesting before they basically just gave the entire plot in one go, and a particularly boring rehashed one at that.

I really thought everything looked great until that showed up out of nowhere.

Civil War looks infinitely better.
Flashdiaz
AG
Lex looks terrible... why is he making a big deal about Clark Kent meeting Bruce Wayne? Clark is a normal lowly reporter and Bruce is a huge celebrity.

the only way to save this is to have doomsday kill superman... but that probably won't happen because the Justice League movie is around the corner.
Knife_Party
That was ****ing terrible. Won't be seeing this in theatres unless it gets at least a 75% on rotten tomatoes at this point.
Jim01
AG
I like Eisenberg but man he looks bad in this.

I'm on the same page as everyone. Batfleck is good, the rest all bad. Entire plot given away in the trailer to boot. No thanks.
agracer
AG
It feels like everyone here was expecting bad and you're all looking for anything and everything to pick on....
dave94
AG
quote:
Lex looks terrible... why is he making a big deal about Clark Kent meeting Bruce Wayne? Clark is a normal lowly reporter and Bruce is a huge celebrity.

Yes, this was waaaay too cheesy, like when the name of a movie is used in dialogue. Is Lois Lane gonna say "OMG, it's Superman v. Batman!!!!"
LeonardSkinner
quote:
With you on all accounts. More sci-fi, less teen dystopia. Though, the later feels like it's already on the way out. There's another Divergent movie and another Maze Runner movie coming, but I think that'll pretty much be it, at least for a while.

What's that "The 5th Wave" thing coming up? I wasn't impressed by the trailer, and then I saw the book on a student's desk.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
quote:
It feels like everyone here was expecting bad and you're all looking for anything and everything to pick on....
This.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
quote:

Yes, this was waaaay too cheesy, like when the name of a movie is used in dialogue. Is Lois Lane gonna say "OMG, it's Superman v. Batman!!!!"

"Some sort of Suicide Squad" is my favorite bad line in a trailer. Makes me laugh every time!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Prediction: Captain America: Civil War will be the final, most highly anticipated superhero movie of this era. No other comic book movie after will make more money. Instead, the genre will see a slow and steady decline from next year on. I'm not saying Civil War will be the highest grossing comic book movie ever -- rather, if you were to chart superhero movie anticipation/fatigue on a graph, Civil War will likely be the final upwards spike, and everything after will be a very gradual simmering down, if that makes sense. Your Black Panthers and Doctor Stranges will do great, no doubt, but none will reach the heights of anticipation and success of Civil War.

While I don't disagree with the coming slowdown, I would like to say that I think that the anticipation for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will be higher than any comic book movie after Civil War. And that fervor for the movie will come from a much larger crowd that will include comic fans AND just fans of fun movies in general.

I think GotG did so well because it reached a larger (non-comic) crowd and the sequel will do the same.
p-townag
AG
quote:
quote:
This.

I've actually been optimistic based on some good recent buzz. The first trailer was pretty good, I thought. This one killed that optimism.

I guess there's still hope, though. MoS trailers were fantastic but the movie didn't live up to them. Maybe the opposite is at work here.

Also, I can't imagine WB being so dumb that they would give up so much plot. Against my better judgment I'm hoping they have more up their sleeve...
GiveEmHellBill
AG

It wouldn't be a Zach Snyder movie unless there was an awesome scene where thousands of innocent people were obliterated without a second thought from the audience other than "coooooolllllll!!"

..........and I would much rather just see a new Batman movie starring Affleck than this POS. Affleck actually looks like a good choice for the role.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Back to BvS... modern monster/alien/creature CGI/design is so terrible. This is just pathetic...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is it possible it's JUST a bad trailer?

Anyone know if the first and second trailers were made by the same people? If so, you have to wonder what the hell happened because that first trailer was just nails.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

Not to mention the aliens from Aliens vs. Cowboys:

TajMaballer
AG
Found this on reddit.. It's a much better, less spoilery trailer

COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
Prediction: Captain America: Civil War will be the final, most highly anticipated superhero movie of this era. No other comic book movie after will make more money. Instead, the genre will see a slow and steady decline from next year on. I'm not saying Civil War will be the highest grossing comic book movie ever -- rather, if you were to chart superhero movie anticipation/fatigue on a graph, Civil War will likely be the final upwards spike, and everything after will be a very gradual simmering down, if that makes sense. Your Black Panthers and Doctor Stranges will do great, no doubt, but none will reach the heights of anticipation and success of Civil War.
Maybe going kamikaze by making terrible movies was DC's plan to level the playing field against Marvel all along.
agmag90
quote:
quote:

She would say "OMG, it's Batman v Superman, Dawn of Justice!"
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
This.
I think if you read back through the thread, most people were pretty optimistic about the film initially. Personally, I can't get over the impression that this last trailer left me that the film looks pretty disorganized. Plus, now I know from the trailer that it isn't really going to be about just Batman vs. Superman with Wonder Woman being thrown in some how since they all will have to set aside their differences to fight Doomsday.
nickstro66
AG
double aught
AG
quote:

What movies are these from?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:

What movies are these from?
Top Doomsday
Bottom Left isLizard from Spiderman
Bottom Middle Left is Abomination from Hulk
Bottom Middle Right is a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle
Bottom Right is a GOOMBA FROM SUPER MARIO BROS
agmag90
From Left to Right: Lizard from Spiderman, Abomination from Incredible Hulk, One of the Ninja Turtles. I dont know the last one on the right.
jeffk
AG
That's Michelangelo, you uncultured swine.
agmag90
quote:
That's Michelangelo, you uncultured swine.
haha i deserve this
rhutton125
AG
I'll be totally honest here - I don't have a very high opinion of DC's attempt at a cinematic universe. They're hastily playing catchup - they want that billion dollar Avengers revenue but they're almost 10 years late to the party. I also don't have a high opinion of Zach Snyder at the head of all this, nor of announcing almost 10 sequels in what feels like only a year or so.

I don't think the movie will be a mess because they're cramming too much into it, however. I just don't think it will be very good. I don't think it will be good because Zach Snyder isn't very good. I think the Lex Luthor we see in this trailer is almost as hammy as the Riddler we saw in Batman Forever. I think they sabotaged their own marketing by calling it "Batman vs Superman" and asking "whose side are you on" and such, but then showing exactly how they'll end up standing side by side by the end of the film, rendering that discussion entirely moot.

I also think they blew their wad with the Wonder Woman and Doomsday reveals. It's exactly what I was glad we didn't get in the Civil War trailer - Iron Man shows up and it's about as seemless and downplayed as any other character's appearance. Here, the music stops, we get a slow zoom-in reveal, we get some quips, and a cheesy long shot of the new team standing right beside one another. "Batman vs Superman." What?

They should have stopped with the first full trailer - the intrigue was still there and we didn't know there was a big bad villain. Now we know everything.

Now, I already knew everything - most everyone theorized Doomsday / Zod-corpse being the villain that brings them all together, but this leaves nothing else to discover. We got all the answers in 2 1/2 minutes. It was just so quick, so cheesy, so special effects-y, so revealing, so sure of itself. I have no attachment to any of these characters, and now no curiosity either.

Just my two rambling cents. I was already skeptical of Zack Snyder, but now I'm going to need a lot of good reviews to get me interested again
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Watch them kill superman, and then turn JL into a "search for Spock" type film where they bring him back to life.

I don't have anything new to add. This looks dumb. If the DCverse gets off the ground as planned, I'll be shocked. I think Star Wars hype is about to replace the super hero hype, and there won't be room for DC beyond beloved batman movies for the next decade.
AliasMan02
AG
Can't figure out why they don't let their wildly successful TV people run their movie universe. This could either be the Flarrow people or Bruce Timm. It doesn't even have to cross over. Just ask them how to make super heroes that people care about.
double aught
AG
Music in the trailer seemed weird.

But like someone else said, I definitely like Lex's Asian scientist.
MrPlow2010
AG
What are those things with wings flying around Desert Storm Batman?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.