Batman vs. Superman

313,855 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
BigTimeAlum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I feel like they should save Doomsday for the next stand alone Superman film, putting it here is way too fast
Yes, they made a big deal in the first Superman about becoming "a light that unites the world and leads humanity from darkness". That was the value of the Death Story Arc. Superman, had already saved the world multiple times from powerful, intelligent, maniacal bad guys. Proved himself to be invincible. He was the light of the world.

Then you introduce a mindless killing machine, that is on Earth by pure happen stance, and you squash that light out when no one is expecting it. It's a truly senseless death. That story itself sucks, but it opens up a ton of stories that are robust in how everyone reacts to it.

The problem is that we aren't there yet. When we left him, nobody on Earth knew who he was and he just destroyed one of the planets largest cities. If he was seriously challenged, or killed, now most people might actually be happy.

Introducing Doomsday now seems like lazy story telling. A bunch of movie execs saying, "hmm, what bad guy could we put in the next Supes movie?" "Didn't someone kill him once?" "Oh yeah, lets make a movie with that guy. I heard it sold a bagillion comic books!"
DB Coach
AG
I'm no expert in the comic book history of Batman or Superman. Can someone please explain how in the world a human (like Batman) could in any way fight an invincible person such as Superman?
Murder Hornet
AG
He outsmarts him and gasses him with kryptonite gas
jeffk
AG
Yeah, he pretty much follows the same formula set out by EVERY SINGLE VILLIAN IN THE SUPERMAN UNIVERSE:

1. Acquire kryptonite.
2. Use kryptonite to make Supes weak.
3. ????
4. Profit
G.I.Bro
quote:
Superman has to use journalism to investigate Batman?

With the way they introduced Superman in MoS, how he wasn't the first alien that earth met, there could be a lot of distrust for Superman in this universe where he can put on the cap on a whim and fly around investigating.

That was one of my biggest gripes about MoS, superman should have been flying around, putting out fires and saving cats from trees long before Zod and company showed up. Snyder could capitalize on this, however, and make Superman a quasi villain in people's eyes. Then again, that's kinda stealing Nolan's Batman storyline.
G.I.Bro
quote:
I'm no expert in the comic book history of Batman or Superman. Can someone please explain how in the world a human (like Batman) could in any way fight an invincible person such as Superman?

If you have Netflix and 90 minutes, watch Justice League: Doom. That is a good story and shows how Batman can stop each member of JL
TCTTS
AG
Kind of random, but I got a PM from a poster here who would like to remain anonymous, but knows someone working on the movie who was absolutely raving about what they've seen so far. Said it's stuff they've never seen in a superhero movie before. They also said that "Affleck is just nails, totally owns the role and will really surprise some people." And while, from what we've seen, the art direction may be borrowing from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, story wise, Snyder and co are really making it their own.

As I've said on here many times, I have a god friend at WB who's extremely close to the project as well, and they've been subtly hinting at the same thing. This person hardly ever goes into details with me because of the nature of their job (and because of how active I am on the web), but WB is apparently insanely confident in what they're putting together.

Who knows if the final product will live up to these expectations, but overall, it definitely feels like tide is slowly but surely turning on this one. All the chatter truly does seem to suggest WB may have pulled off the impossible.

Either way, I'm really dying to get a sense of what this movie is going to look/feel like, but unfortunately we're probably not getting a trailer until May now, either with Avengers or Mad Max.
Tmoneyag99
AG
Trying not to get my hopes up too much, but really hope this is nails.
AliasMan02
AG
I've never really been concerned with casting. The source material is also good. The issues, if they pop up, will be with studio decisions about rushing the story and biting off more than they can chew.

Remember, Doomsday is supposedly in this movie. That is a hell of a stretch, just on its own.
Murder Hornet
AG
Man, TC I really want this movie to be great but weren't we getting the exact same reports from Man of Steel prior to everyone seeing it? liked that movie but it was hardly the runaway awesomeness that some critics predicted.
TCTTS
AG
I'm right there with you. Just reporting what I'm hearing. At the very least, though, I'm thinking it won't be the absolute disaster everyone thought it'd be. Sounds like it's at least serviceable.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
I'm right there with you. Just reporting what I'm hearing. At the very least, though, I'm thinking it won't be the absolute disaster everyone thought it'd be. Sounds like it's at least serviceable.

If they want to "beat" Marvel, serviceable aint gonna cut it.

I kinda wonder why they have been SO successful on the small screen, yet can't get it to translate to big screen.
Murder Hornet
AG
Exactly. Even when Marvel steps deep into comic book nerd-dom with a movie like GotG, it still does great at the box office because there is a good story to be told. Everything Marvel touches right now is gold and it seems so easy. DC is trying so hard for a hit other than Batman that they shoehorned Batman into the Superman sequel
Simplebay
AG
MoS was good, but they thought it was going to be great. The expectations went up so ce they liked what they were seeing because Nolan wasn't in the directors chair.

Now Nolan isn't involved at all, I bet a similar No Nolan effect will be happening.

Also, I expect this movie to pleasantly surprise, and Avengers to be a let down.
TCTTS
AG
Would not be surprised if Avengers is a let down either. I've seen a couple super-favorable script reviews (or tweets, rather) from trusted sources, but something about the marketing just feels off. Marvel has made such a big deal about what's in store for Phase Three that AOU almost feels like an afterthought already. Then again, we haven't seen the full trailer/campaign yet so I'll wait and see.
AliasMan02
AG
Whedon knows how to keep it fresh, and is the best ensemble director out there. The people planning the events in that universe are proven professionals.

DC has a lot to prove, still.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Marvel could be purposefully hiding the ball so to speak. They did that with Winter Soldier because of the shockwave that the movie put through the MCU. AOU already has a 2 hour 40 minute run time, so clearly there are things they are going to hide till the movie's release.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree, the stakes feel really low because of the episodic nature of the MCU. To me it feels like the movie won't a true, stand-alone film, and it'll be more setup for the third phase and Avengers 3. Almost like you could just wait and watch it on Netflix to be caught up once Phase Three starts.

I'm sure I'll watch it in theaters, but with each subsequent Marvel film, this feeling has only gotten stronger. And thats not a knock on the quality of the films. Winter Soldier was a great movie. But I'm never gonna sit down and just watch that movie like I would any other movie. It'd be like watching an episode of Lost in the middle of the series.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I agree, the stakes feel really low because of the episodic nature of the MCU. To me it feels like the movie won't a true, stand-alone film, and it'll be more setup for the third phase and Avengers 3. Almost like you could just wait and watch it on Netflix to be caught up once Phase Three starts.

I'm sure I'll watch it in theaters, but with each subsequent Marvel film, this feeling has only gotten stronger. And thats not a knock on the quality of the films. Winter Soldier was a great movie. But I'm never gonna sit down and just watch that movie like I would any other movie. It'd be like watching an episode of Lost in the middle of the series.
That has been a danger, but Marvel has done a GREAT job making the films stand on their own. I don't think you can argue that. I can't think of a movie you couldn't watch without the backstory.

This would be bad business strategy, but selfishly I actually wish they would count on some foreknowledge of the patrons so they wouldn't have to spend time re-establishing to start off movies. There seems little doubt that in AoU they have at least, what... 15+ minutes or runtime that could be cut if they didn't worry about bringing the audience up to speed? There will be short conversations about SHIELD being gone, about Hydra being active, about where Thor has been, about Fury being in the wind, maybe about Coulson being dead (with a knowing glance from Fury or maybe Hill), maybe about Infinity Stones (probably not here, though), etc. Those will be sprinkled throughout, but it does add some weight that the dialogue has to carry.
Tmoneyag99
AG
Looks like we have our first look at Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. Not too shabby!

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/25/jesse-eisenberg-lex-luthor-batman-v-superman-dawn-justice

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
how many friends on facebook does he have?
Aggies76
AG
Not too shabby indeed! So glad they kept the traditional Luthor "hairstyle".
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Not too shabby indeed! So glad they kept the traditional Luthor "hairstyle".

He definitely either wears wigs in the movie, or has hair at one point. Multiple set reports say he has hair when running his company.
israeliag
AG
The other tread on the DCCU posted this, too. It looks almost like a mugshot in that photo (look at his clothes, too).
TCTTS
AG
Something to remember: Luthor's history in this iteration is that he grew up on the streets. Was in a gang. So maybe he's bald before he ends up being the Luthor we know?
TCTTS
AG
Why Are Batman And Superman Fighting In BATMAN V SUPERMAN?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Why Are Batman And Superman Fighting In BATMAN V SUPERMAN?
If Superman really came out swinging, the Batmobile would land in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean when he punched it.
TCTTS
AG
Trailer basically confirmed for Mad Max: Fury Road on May 15...

http://collider.com/batman-v-superman-trailer-mad-max/

Between this and The Force Awakens trailer having been "confirmed" yesterday as well, I'm two for two this week when it comes to mega trailer premieres...

http://projectionlist.com/#/site/trailers
TCTTS
AG
http://www.latino-review.com/news/composer-junkie-xl-teases-scoring-batman-v-superman-trailer
TCTTS
AG
Uh, holy crap...

http://filmschoolrejects.com/news/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-trailer-update.php

So, basically, two of the biggest trailers of the last decade or so will release within five days of each other. Insanity.
Murder Hornet
AG
TC - that article says it will attach the trailer to Avengers AoU.

Who determines the placement of trailers?
Why would DC attach its trailer to their largest competitor's movie?
Does Marvel have the ability to tell DC to pound sand if they don't want the trailer attached to their movie or do they even care since they have been killing DC lately?
Is this just up to each individual theater?

No complaints, I'm looking forward to Avengers, Star Wars trailer and now BvS trailer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Why would DC attach its trailer to their largest competitor's movie?
I don't see why DC would care. Avengers will make its money regardless. There is no reason there should be competition between the two unless they have movies releasing at the same time.

They have the ability to get the trailer to millions of fanboys, so why not take the opportunity?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Superman gets second billing in the sequel to his own movie.
Jason Momoa doesn't even make the big-boy credits!
Who are Jeremy Irons and Holly Hunter playing?

nickstro66
AG
Jeremy Irons is playing Alfred I think
Simplebay
AG
TC what exactly is the difference between Executive Producer and Producer. I'm told the former is basic financial backing and % or cut of the profits. The latter is creative control, big picture ideas, etc.

Nolan is listed as an EP, but I'm told he wants nothing to do with this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.