Batman vs. Superman

313,815 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Aggie_Journalist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why in the world is this movie coming out in March? I'd been assuming this would be a summer blockbuster. Just now noticed it's set for March 25.
Edit: Good Friday release. How odd. Zero competition for weeks, though.
Last edit: Same weekend Furious 7 launched. I guess that explains it, still feels odd though,
TCTTS
AG

quote:
Zero competition for weeks, though.

Bingo. One of the Fast & Furious movies released the first weekend of April a few years back, made a sh*t ton of money, and that kind of opened the flood gates. Studios saw that summer and the holidays weren't there only blockbuster release windows anymore.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
Veeeery interesting...

HitFix / 'Batman v Superman: Could DC's Entire Slate Be in Jeopardy?'

Not terribly surprising. Has your buddy at WB commented? Or have they gone radio silent?

If this needs to make $1 billion for folks to keep their jobs, then those folks had better start updating resumes. Hope your friend isn't one of them!

Do like the idea of Affleck getting his own batman movie no matter what, though. I have a feeling he'd nail it in a standalone film.

My friend just said there's so much more to the movie than that last trailer let on, when everyone was complaining that it gave away the entire plot. Haven't really discussed whether it's good or not. This person is a close friend, but I realized a while back that asking "Is it good?" in regards to any WB movie is kind of pointless, since they would never admit if it's not. Given that this person is super high up in the marketing department, I get it.
AgMarauder04
AG
I think the fact that this movie has "so much more going on" could be part of the problem.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
If this needs to make $1 billion for folks to keep their jobs, then those folks had better start updating resumes.
In this day and age, I think a film would have to be F4 quality to be so DOA that it doesn't at least hit numbers close to that.
Sex Panther
AG

quote:
Furious 7, Jurrasic World, and even Transformers: Age of Extinction all made over $1b and they were terrible.

One of those was terrible
jackie childs
quote:

quote:
Furious 7, Jurrasic World, and even Transformers: Age of Extinction all made over $1b and they were terrible.

One of those was terrible
and the one that was terrible gave us grimlock. I bet that scene in the trailer alone was worth at least $300mil

TCTTS
AG

AgMarauder04
AG
No suit? Hahaha. Yeah, bats is about to have his skull shattered.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Holy hell those look terrible.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Glad to hear positive things about the new trailer.

Going to see Deadpool tonight, so I'm gonna hold off so I can see it in the theater for the first time.

Haven't done that in a long time.

And of course, no trailer.
BigRobSA
Saw trailer during the 30 minutes of trailers before Deadpool.....my Lord this movie looks terrible.

Ben as Batman....the guy that played the kid that made TwitBookStagram or whatever as Lex....yeah, no thanks.
Vander
AG
quote:
There's some speculation that...

****potential spoiler*****

Batman's vision of the "Superman Empire" are a product of DarkSeid and that they are setting him up to be the Thanos of the DC Justice League universe.

****end of potential spoiler*****

Thanos is a ripoff of Darkseid FYI. Darkseid is basically THE villain in the DCU. No one else comes close in terms of threat or backstory.
dave94
AG
Ooooooh, challenge! Who came first? I could google it, but this will be more interesting.
jackie childs
regardless of who came first, does anybody doubt that thanos will be better depicted on the big screen?
rhutton125
AG
I had this discussion with someone just yesterday. In a way, it won't matter at all who came first in the comic world. The cinematic world at this point is what matters.

For example, consider the 2018 Flash film. By then audiences will have seen the Days of Future Past Quicksilver, the less-impressive Age of Ultron Quicksilver, the X-Men: Apocalypse Quicksilver (and apparently it took nearly two months to shoot one of his scenes), and FOUR seasons of the Flash on TV. They'll certainly have the budget for it, but how exactly will they offer something fresh? I suppose we may find out next month in BvS.

Similarly, with Wonder Woman, I wonder if the story will be unique or if it will be kind of a mix of the first Captain America film (WW1 instead of 2) and the Thor films (gods and goddesses). I'm sure the hype for the first solo female superhero film will easily overshadow that, but it's worth noting. Asgard doesn't have a monopoly on that type of setting but it does feel like it's been around for far more than 5 years.

To their credit, aside from more gods and goddesses, Aquaman could be brand new territory. They also kind of beat Marvel to the punch, for once, making it harder (presumably) to ever make a Namor film. Not sure that was even on the agenda though.

And then regarding Thanos and Darkseid, Thanos will have had several films and years of build-up. Darkseid may have 1 or 2. I'm not sure how similar their power set will be but if they're at all similar, it won't matter who came first in the comics... only who comes first in the theaters, and which movie does a better job at offering something fresh.

Just my two cents. DC is already playing catch-up in a big way, but I think even some of the most iconic heroes or villains may be perceived as rehashes if they aren't handled just right.
M.C. Swag
AG
Completely agree. And I never read any Justice League comics, so my knowledge of DarkSeid is limited to what i recall from the cartoons. To me, Marvel beat them to the cinematic punch and that's all that matters. It's going to look like a re-tread/copy-cat by DC if that is indeed what they're doing.
Simplebay
AG

Just because it's SO good.

Also, TC McWeeny is dead on. Just like my post Batflick will be up next, Synder will be off Justice League (and off godfather role). The only question is...where do they go next? who should direct it? and who the hell should write it?

Matthew Vaughn, Alex Proyas (depending on Gods of Egypt), David Yates, or long shot dear god please Alfonso Cuaron.

Or maybe they'll just have Affleck take it, but i think he wants bats and nowhere near JL.
AliasMan02
AG
The new godfather should be Bruce Timm, for sure.
Sex Panther
AG
That's how Batman should look while fighting. That's straight out of the Arkham games.
M.C. Swag
AG
lol about that whole, "batman doesn't kill people" thing...
Sex Panther
AG
He doesn't kill people... But he has no problem putting them in comas
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
Batman doesn't kill people, the floor that fractures their spine and neck, kills people
fig96
AG
quote:
The new godfather should be Bruce Timm, for sure.
With Scott Snyder writing.

If any Bat-fans haven't read the Court of Owls, do yourself a favor and go buy it right now.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Love the two guys who pull out knives.

Yeah............that'll work,
Tmoneyag99
AG
quote:
quote:
Batman doesn't kill people, the floor that fractures their spine and neck, kills people
Washington should probably look into banning floors for the safety of our children and the future of our nation.
Simplebay
AG
Other end of the spectrum?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/02/12/i-dont-worry-that-batman-v-superman-is-bad-but-rather-that-its-unconventionally-great/#4ded56e72e13
jackie childs
quote:
Completely agree. And I never read any Justice League comics, so my knowledge of DarkSeid is limited to what i recall from the cartoons. To me, Marvel beat them to the cinematic punch and that's all that matters. It's going to look like a re-tread/copy-cat by DC if that is indeed what they're doing.
agree...

anybody else think DC missed the boat by not prioritizing WW? one area Marvel has been criticized is not having a strong female lead. DC has easily the most universally recognized female lead and seems like they could have beaten Marvel to the punch there, but instead they fumble her around for 5-6 years and wind up introducing her as a third wheel in BvS.

meanwhile star wars is being heralded for introducing us to Rey, a strong female lead. just seems like a wasted opportunity to me.
AliasMan02
AG
I've never heard anyone defend The Lone Ranger. I'm a big fan of the character and thought it absolutely sucked. Had a few good moments, but I thought it was a meandering pointless tale.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
agree...

anybody else think DC missed the boat by not prioritizing WW? one area Marvel has been criticized is not having a strong female lead. DC has easily the most universally recognized female lead and seems like they could have beaten Marvel to the punch there, but instead they fumble her around for 5-6 years and wind up introducing her as a third wheel in BvS.

meanwhile star wars is being heralded for introducing us to Rey, a strong female lead. just seems like a wasted opportunity to me.
Have they? Asking because I haven't seen anything about it.

Black Widow (not a lead bu multiple movies), Scarlet Witch (not a lead, but soon to be multiple Movies), Agent Carter (not a lead but multiple movies & lead on own TV show), Jessica Jones (lead TV show), May (TV Show co lead), Skye (TV Show co lead), Mockingbird (Soon to be 2x TV show being co lead and lead), and Ms Marvel (lead coming soon).
BigTimeAlum
AG
To me, the most successful comic movies are the ones that are true to the characters and their history. They lift them off of the pages of the comic and show them living in our world.

Marvel is great because they have brought Ironman, Thor, Star Lord, etc. to life in a believable way and exactly like we would have pictured them. Great stories, great actor choices, and true to the characters we love.

DC is letting Directors take their own spin on these characters, whereas Marvel said, "Here are your characters and our broader story arc, do you want to make this movie?". DC's approach is more risky and ultimately doomed to failure. We get the version of the movie/characters the Director wanted to see, not the ones we wanted to see. These characters have been well vetted for decades. There is a reason they are iconic and part of our culture. There is is no reason to do anything but bring them to life in the stories we have always wanted to see on screen.

This trailer has me holding out hope. A very little bit of hope.
fig96
AG
quote:
Other end of the spectrum?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/02/12/i-dont-worry-that-batman-v-superman-is-bad-but-rather-that-its-unconventionally-great/#4ded56e72e13
Not saying it's not possible, but this strikes me as a really optimistic take.

Based on past history, guessing that Zack Snyder made a movie that was too smart is...yeah
jackie childs
quote:
quote:
quote:
agree...

Black Widow (not a lead bu multiple movies), Scarlet Witch (not a lead, but soon to be multiple Movies), Agent Carter (not a lead but multiple movies & lead on own TV show), Jessica Jones (lead TV show), May (TV Show co lead), Skye (TV Show co lead), Mockingbird (Soon to be 2x TV show being co lead and lead), and Ms Marvel (lead coming soon).
i didn't mean so much now, but i thought marvel got heat shortly after avengers or maybe avengers 2 for not having a standalone female lead yet. there's no doubt they're addressing it, but i feel like DC should capitalized on it back then and finally beaten Marvel to the punch.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
agree...

i didn't mean so much now, but i thought marvel got heat shortly after avengers or maybe avengers 2 for not having a standalone female lead yet. there's no doubt they're addressing it, but i feel like DC should capitalized on it back then and finally beaten Marvel to the punch.
Didn't they already?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Love the two guys who pull out knives.

Yeah............that'll work,
That was my reaction too. Shoot him!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.