Batman vs. Superman

313,878 Views | 2333 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TajMaballer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-blinks-in-marvel-showdown-batman-v-superman-avoids-captain-america-3/

Sex Panther
AG
I hope Marvel releases the Howard the Duck movie the same day as this so I can laugh when Howard wins.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A superhero movie in March? Wtf?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Wow. Who woulda thunk that Batman and Superman would be desperate to avoid a showdown with a Captain America movie??!?

I think a certain talking tree and gun-toting raccoon shared the s**t out of WB/DC.

And, from that article, I bet DC's fans are just salivating over this upcoming schedule:

quote:
The rest of the slate looks like this:

Untitled DC Film - 08/05/16

Untitled DC Film - 06/23/17

Untitled DC Film - 11/17/17

Untitled DC Film - 03/23/18

Untitled DC Film - 07/27/18

Untitled WB Event Film - 11/16/18

Untitled DC Film - 04/05/19

Untitled DC Film - 06/14/19

Untitled DC Film - 04/03/20

Untitled DC Film - 06/19/20

Untitled WB Event Film - 11/20/20

I wonder if the WB execs even have the slightest f-ing clue what ANY of these films are going to be?
israeliag
AG
quote:
Warner Bros. has decided to release “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” in 3D on March 25

That's Easter Weekend.... said the Jew. Not that crazy of a weekend to choose, should provide a lot of opportunities for people to watch on Thursday night and Friday as many people have Good Friday off.
FL_Ag1998
AG
WB exec: Nope, we're not rushing things. Everything has been carefully planned and is going according to plan. No way this blows up in our face. Not at all.

Nope.

Not. At. All.

(under his breath) Dear God, what have we done?!
Simplebay
AG
Wonder what TC thinks of this. I actually think April would've been a great choice for this.
TCTTS
AG
We always knew BvS was going to move, I just assumed it'd be to July instead of up to March, if not April. That said, the summer movie season has slowly been expanding/evaporating, and I think this move officially signals the beginning of an era in which the absolute biggest blockbusters can now start opening in March. March/April had no doubt already been home to mega-hits like Alice in Wonderland, Fast & Furious 6 and Captain America 2, but those were all still somewhat "second-tier" in terms of brand recognition. This move, however, now allows the Star Wars and The Avengers and The Avatars to start claiming early spring dates as well, if not other calendar dates outside of the summer and December that aren't in January, February, and September (the three months that still seem "off-limits" to mega-blockbusters).

Still, this feels weird, if not inevitable. But it makes sense, I guess. FOUR of Zack Snyder's previous movies have all released in March (Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchmen, and Sucker Punch), so he's obviously comfortable with that time of year.
israeliag
AG
From a storytelling standpoint I think March and October make a lot of sense for studios to release movies on. Movies released in the summer that have plot/story taking place in winter, and vice-versa, always seemed odd to me. With March and October, you still have parts of the country in the cold and with snow and other parts with heat and summer like conditions so there's more of a thematic flexibility.
Sex Panther
AG
What exactly is the draw of Summer for blockbusters? If a movie looks awesome, I'm going to go see it. I don't care when it comes out. In fact I wouldn't mind if more of them came out in February, or January or November, I'd probably like it. That way I don't have an overload of things to see in an IMAX or large theater setting over a three month period.

Is there some metric that families and people are willing to go see movies more often in the Summer? Is it becaue kids aren't in school? What's the reasoning?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yes.
TCTTS
AG
It's mainly the kids-out-of-school thing. Once studios realized kids & teens were probably the biggest demographic - right around the release of Jaws in the summer of '75 - more and more blockbusters started to be made, and slotted in the summer.
TCTTS
AG
But you're right, SP. Now, it doesn't matter. People are hungry for blockbusters year-round, and have shown they're willing to watch/pay in just about any month.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/6/2014 5:10p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A blockbuster in September, October, January, or February would just seem weird.

March as well but I guess slightly less so now than it used to.
TCTTS
AG
^ Gravity was October of last year, cementing that month as viable blockbuster month.
TCTTS
AG
Re: the BvS move, I wrote my first-ever release date analysis post at my blog, if anyone's interested. Lots of additional thoughts/stats/context...

BATMAN v SUPERMAN v the Summer Movie Season

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/7/2014 4:05a).]
israeliag
AG
[EDIT: update made, making this comment irrelevant.]

(Sorry to be nitpicky, just wanting to help you succeed. Other than that - great writing!)

[This message has been edited by israeliag (edited 8/7/2014 1:51p).]
Sex Panther
AG
Good stuff TC
TCTTS
AG
Thanks, guys!

(Finished it around 2 AM last night, so there was bound to be a typo or two.)
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, Luthor's plan in the movie has been revealed. Mild SPOILERS, but this probably isn't anything that won't be in the trailers...

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/13/spoilers-luthors-plan-in-batman-v-superman-revealed/

Basically...

- Luthor has been gathering pieces and debris from the destroyed World Engine in MoS.

- He uses that debris to somehow synthesize Kryptonite.

- He has also gotten ahold of Zod's corpse, which is the key to his master plan to defeat Superman.

- He uses some of Zod's tissue to to create DOOMSDAY.

I guess I appreciate the attempt to actually create more of a thread from the first movie, but this could get pretty silly/convoluted in a hurry. They're obviously leading to the death of Superman, which is what annoys me more, because everyone and their dog knows he won't stay dead long. Though, I suppose it'll make for a decent "cliffhanger" to bridge this and Justice League, if they go that route...
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Jason Momoa is now Aquaman.

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice/238223/jason-momoa-confirmed-as-aquaman-in-batman-v-superman

Wonder if he pours a bowl of liquid gold on Batman.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Aquaman?
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Aquaman is a bad ass. Momoa is perfect for it too.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Ehhh, not sold on Mamoa as Aquaman (or on his acting ability in general). Combined with the Gal Gadot casting as Wonder Woman, color me unimpressed.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
Just FYI, Luthor's plan in the movie has been revealed. Mild SPOILERS, but this probably isn't anything that won't be in the trailers...

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/13/spoilers-luthors-plan-in-batman-v-superman-revealed/

Basically...

- Luthor has been gathering pieces and debris from the destroyed World Engine in MoS.

- He uses that debris to somehow synthesize Kryptonite.

- He has also gotten ahold of Zod's corpse, which is the key to his master plan to defeat Superman.

- He uses some of Zod's tissue to to create DOOMSDAY.

I guess I appreciate the attempt to actually create more of a thread from the first movie, but this could get pretty silly/convoluted in a hurry. They're obviously leading to the death of Superman, which is what annoys me more, because everyone and their dog knows he won't stay dead long. Though, I suppose it'll make for a decent "cliffhanger" to bridge this and Justice League, if they go that route...

Kill Supes in the first 10 minutes and you still have a shot at a decent movie.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Why in the world would Superman not take Zod's body off himself - if only to give him a proper Kryptonian burial? ya know, since Zod's peeps are the only other surviving members of his species?

I'm starting to kinda feel sorry for Henry Cavil - not only is Batfleck stealing his screen time, but now he has to waste time filming a fight with a CGI monster.

TCTTS
AG
quote:
Why in the world would Superman not take Zod's body off himself - if only to give him a proper Kryptonian burial? ya know, since Zod's peeps are the only other surviving members of his species?

Very good point.
Aggies76
AG
quote:
I'm starting to kinda feel sorry for Henry Cavil - not only is Batfleck stealing his screen time, but now he has to waste time filming a fight with a CGI monster.

Don't like what they're doing to Supes. Cavill's caught in a Warner Bros contract with questionable screenwriters.
Simplebay
AG
http://youtu.be/HQPYAhcEhlo

Love it
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
that Luthor storyline from above seems AWFUL and overcomplicated.

for me personally, i think Nolan's excellence in developing Batman has really damaged the Superman brand. that in addition to Superman being inherently so much more unrealistic than Batman and they are now trying to combine the 2 in one movie makes for a terrible movie imho. my expectations are beyond low.

contrary to a lot of people i also thought MoS was a pretty bad movie when it first came out. it did nothing for me.
agracer
AG
quote:
that in addition to Superman being inherently so much more unrealistic than Batman

Alien from another planet has powers normal humans do not = I can suspend disbelief.

Human dresses in body armor and defies gravity/laws of physics and cheats death on a regular basis = more real???? Really?

[This message has been edited by agracer (edited 8/15/2014 12:47p).]
Jim01
AG
Mamoa seems a lot bigger than I picture AquaMan.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Momoa seems a lot different in every single way that I picture Aquaman.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll be honest, this is how I picture Aquaman.

TCTTS
AG
Interesting shot of Scoot McNairy from set. Some are thinking the green socks (later to be replaced with some kind of effect) could mean he's playing The Flash. Either that, or some kind of robotic prosthetic?

http://www.slashfilm.com/scoot-mcnairy-flash/

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 8/19/2014 12:47p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.